Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Verisimilidude posted:

That sounds like seriously my poo poo. Can't wait.

It's so good, on top of way more mana to boot. Oh no I'm not gonna fit in Reddit's IDEAL META RAID COMP for savage mode, who gives a poo poo as long as it's fun to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

SL the Pyro posted:

I sincerely hope this is sarcasm, Alisaie.

alisaie you little poo poo

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Yeah Assize doing both damage and healing feels so good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm excited to try out Samurai but I don't have any level 50 melee gear, nor do I have a pile of Poetics to get it with, so it'll have to wait at least until I reach Heavensward and can buy some.

I can't see it winning out over Red Mage for me, because RDM feels amazing and I've only played it for a half hour, but Samurai does seem pretty sweet and those slash sound effects are perfect.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Harrow posted:

I'm excited to try out Samurai but I don't have any level 50 melee gear, nor do I have a pile of Poetics to get it with, so it'll have to wait at least until I reach Heavensward and can buy some.

I can't see it winning out over Red Mage for me, because RDM feels amazing and I've only played it for a half hour, but Samurai does seem pretty sweet and those slash sound effects are perfect.

I believe they put level 50 vendors in Ul'dah(?)

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

You get a free set of gear when you unlock both Samurai and Red Mage.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

You do?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Played for an hourish this morning. Role actions are neat and it'll be interesting to see which ones end up being the most useful for which jobs.

Wrapping my head around the Bard Changes is going to take a while!

Red Mage also seems really neat: dualcast will take a while to get a hold of but I think the basic rotation would be something like this?

Initiate with Verthunder or Veraero (doesn't seem to matter)
dualcast into the other one (So verthund>veraero or veraero>verthunder)
- If verfire or verstone procced, cast that and dualcast into its' black/white opposite of veraero or verthund (So verfire > veraero or verstone > verthunder)
- if they didn't proc, cast jolt and then dualcast into verthunder or veraero and try again

I haven't quite figured out if the opportune time to go corps-a-corps and spend all your black/white mana is at 50/50 or 75/75 or even just waiting till full 100/100, and I haven't really looked at the other abilities, so i'm probably missing something important.

E: The cast times on verthunder and veraero are really, really long, so you should never hardcast them except at the start of the battle

The Duchess Smackarse fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 16, 2017

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Yeah completing the job quest gives you an item in your inventory that, when used, gives you a head, chest, arm, leg, and boots for that job.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Also note that in the very first new area (accessed probably 10 minutes into the MSQ) the vendor there sells ilvl 255 gear

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Wait, really? I thought you just got the weapon. How did I not notice the free gear set with RDM?

EDIT:

Jimmy Hats posted:

Yeah completing the job quest gives you an item in your inventory that, when used, gives you a head, chest, arm, leg, and boots for that job.

Holy poo poo, that'll teach me to play right after waking up. What iLvl?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Harrow posted:

Wait, really? I thought you just got the weapon. How did I not notice the free gear set with RDM?

EDIT:

Holy poo poo, that'll teach me to play right after waking up. What iLvl?

I didn't check the ilvl! It's level 50, so I suspect it's 125 or 130.

E: I equipped it and went to mor dhona and was killing mobs in about 5 hits so I think it's pretty high

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Jimmy Hats posted:

Oh okay I saw that in the reward and thought it was an offhand :downs:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jimmy Hats posted:

Well, that'd be an upgrade if so, because I'm currently using 110 gear from the 2.x MSQ. Guess I'll have to check when I'm home.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Jimmy Hats posted:

All 115, like vendor stuff in Ishgard.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
The 50 new job gear is 115 nq stuff. Not amazing but it's functional enough for leveling.

e: Beat!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Jimmy Hats posted:

Played for an hourish this morning. Role actions are neat and it'll be interesting to see which ones end up being the most useful for which jobs.

Wrapping my head around the Bard Changes is going to take a while!

Red Mage also seems really neat: dualcast will take a while to get a hold of but I think the basic rotation would be something like this?

Initiate with Verthunder or Veraero (doesn't seem to matter)
dualcast into the other one (So verthund>veraero or veraero>verthunder)
- If verfire or verstone procced, cast that and dualcast into its' black/white opposite of veraero or verthund (So verfire > veraero or verstone > verthunder)
- if they didn't proc, cast jolt and then dualcast into verthunder or veraero and try again

I haven't quite figured out if the opportune time to go corps-a-corps and spend all your black/white mana is at 50/50 or 75/75 or even just waiting till full 100/100, and I haven't really looked at the other abilities, so i'm probably missing something important.

E: The cast times on verthunder and veraero are really, really long, so you should never hardcast them except at the start of the battle

My understanding is the optimal time to melee combo is 80+/80+, and once you get Verflare and Verholy you want them to be uneven. 80 mana is the minimum amount necessary to do a full melee combo (and you want the Enchanted Redoublement even before getting Verflare/Verholy, because it has very high potency), and uneven means you can guarantee a proc by casting Verflare/Verholy in accordance with whichever mana is lower.

Edit: Though for AoE I think the rotation is just spam Scatter until you have 30/30, use the cone aoe weaponskill (Moulinet?), and repeat.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 16, 2017

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Please tell me if they fixed the graphics engine so AA works properly so that grass and trees look good? Such a shame with how this game could look...

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Magil Zeal posted:

My understanding is the optimal time to melee combo is 80+/80+, and once you get Verflare and Verholy you want them to be uneven. 80 mana is the minimum amount necessary to do a full melee combo (and you want the Enchanted Redoublement even before getting Verflare/Verholy, because it has very high potency), and uneven means you can guarantee a proc by casting Verflare/Verholy in accordance with whichever mana is lower.

That holy/flare thing seems kinda neat but playing this job seems like it's going to get pretty technical trying to pull the exact best possible white/black mana numbers, since the increments are 3, 8 (on certains procs) 9 (on other certain procs) and 11!

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Anyone else?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

PvP is WAY different, but it feels pretty good. Reminds me a lot of Battlerite, like I thought it would. It gives a ton of exp too: Came in second for 600k at level 60.

Guess I'm grinding frontlines to 70 on my other jobs!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SL the Pyro posted:

I sincerely hope this is sarcasm, Alisaie.

That isn't directed at her brother?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I am so hype. I only had time to run a dungeon, do my job quest, and do some MSQ before class, but wow. The changes to NIN already feel great and this is just the tip of the iceberg. I have to fight some muscle memory for Mutilate and stuff like that, but it'll pass. Those big numbers are sooooooo good.

I also swung around a katana a little, but I don't wanna waste life in PotD.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

Edit: Though for AoE I think the rotation is just spam Scatter until you have 30/30, use the cone aoe weaponskill (Moulinet?), and repeat.

This is correct. You want 80/80 black/white mana and you want one to be a little higher than the other. Then, you decide whether to cast Verflare or Verholy depending on which mana is lower. If black is lower, cast Verflare; if white is lower, cast Verholy. You'll guarantee a Verfire or Verstone proc, respectively, if there was an imbalance and you use the right finisher.

It's one of those things that seems small but will probably add up over a long fight.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Jimmy Hats posted:

That holy/flare thing seems kinda neat but playing this job seems like it's going to get pretty technical trying to pull the exact best possible white/black mana numbers, since the increments are 3, 8 (on certains procs) 9 (on other certain procs) and 11!

Once you throw Impact into the rotation (basically it replaces Jolt whenever you have an Impactful proc) you also have a 4 increment. Veryholy and Verflare themselves increase their respective mana by 21 and give you a guaranteed proc of their color for another 9 if done right, getting you a big leap towards building mana back up.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

SonicRulez posted:

I also swung around a katana a little, but I don't wanna waste life in PotD.

You won't have to! I was skimming the patch notes last night, and it seems they've buffed EXP gains from FATE's considerably. They added the following:

-Randomly, FATEs will be marked on the map as giving bonus exp for completion
-Occasionally during a FATE an additional enemy will appear, if it is defeated then everyone who participated in the FATE will receive a buff which increases exp gained from FATEs for however long the buff lasts

So I figure between daily leveling roulettes and occasional FATE stuff leveling should be less painful now.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm having weird glitchy issues with the client more than anything else.

I think my GPU drivers could be a little old so I'll update those and hope that's it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I would've considered just doing a daily LDR, but I expect queues to be pretty yikes for the next few weeks and the duty finder was borked this morning. I figure SAM will be right where I left it in a couple of months when I'm at endgame looking for stuff to do.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

I would've considered just doing a daily LDR, but I expect queues to be pretty yikes for the next few weeks and the duty finder was borked this morning. I figure SAM will be right where I left it in a couple of months when I'm at endgame looking for stuff to do.

ok

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

Once you throw Impact into the rotation (basically it replaces Jolt whenever you have an Impactful proc) you also have a 4 increment. Veryholy and Verflare themselves increase their respective mana by 21 and give you a guaranteed proc of their color for another 9 if done right, getting you a big leap towards building mana back up.

I have to admit I don't understand what Impact is there for. It just seems like one more proc in a job that already has a good amount of procs and it's just a stronger, flashier version of Jolt II when it happens. Like it sort of seems extraneous. That said, I'm not going to complain that we get a cool flower explosion spell.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

stormblood good, qtiyd

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Sorry, I thought this was the place to talk about Stormblood.

The new quest jingles and the normal battle music is real good.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The good news is that given the amount of people who have already attempted to join Please Calm Down, we're likely to have a pretty healthy population.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Does twist of fate work on under 60 fates?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

ghostinmyshell posted:

Please tell me if they fixed the graphics engine so AA works properly so that grass and trees look good? Such a shame with how this game could look...

If you're running at 1080p, you could probably downsample from 4k if you have a fast enough GPU. There are UI scaling options somewhere.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

queeb posted:

Does twist of fate work on under 60 fates?

I assumed it was for all FATEs. I didn't read otherwise anywhere

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Harrow posted:

I have to admit I don't understand what Impact is there for. It just seems like one more proc in a job that already has a good amount of procs and it's just a stronger, flashier version of Jolt II when it happens. Like it sort of seems extraneous. That said, I'm not going to complain that we get a cool flower explosion spell.

Impact's a bit weird, maybe it's a bit of leftover design space where it was intended for something else but got trimmed down. I agree the animation is cool though.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Any PS4 users able to download SB? I can't fire up HW, it sits on the 'connecting to PSNetwork' screen and I can't find my pre order in the PS store.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Stormblood downloads through opening heavensward so uhhh I think either too many people are downloading it or your connection is fucky. Try restarting your ps4

also prepare your butt for the 90 minute download once you're in

I actually lucked out and checked the game last night around midnight and did my update and download then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just get hard system locks when I try playing so that's good. Th-thanks YoshiP