Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
well why not
Feb 10, 2009

you'd market it 100% via nostalgia and sex appeal

so like the expendables except everyone bar Stallone is a b-b-b-b-babe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Dungeons and Dragons movie already came out and is awesome, can't believe how few people here have seen Krull.

I mean there are some conflicting stories about how much of it was actually derived from plans for an official Dungeons and Dragons movie, but it is the most Dungeons and Dragons movie ever made.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

It was so bad that the audience I was watching it with started laughing at everything, which in turn made it a fun, stupid movie. The culmination being when Kate Beckinsale's face appeared in the clouds at the end. Everyone lost it there.

Dracula uses Frankenstein to inseminate his eggs, whats not to love?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hardcore, I wanna see this

I somehow doubt Colin Trevorrow will give it any punch or the crazy energy that twist requires.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They could write the Duke Nukem movie from the point of view of some of the lowly assault troopers in the alien invasion, with Duke being an unstoppable one man army who brutally murders everyone like a slasher movie monster.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
The best possible Duke movie would be that bit in Die Hard where McClane appreciates a titty poster stretched into a full length movie.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

well why not posted:

Gods of Egypt was way more interesting. If you wanna watch an over-the-top Egypt themed movie, definitely see that instead. It's a PS3 cutscene, but it's the best PS3 cutscene ever made, by far. At least that movie was fun and colourful. This is just lovely and boring.

Gods of Egypt is the myth movie I have always wanted.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I like that Dracula had what were basically Power Rangers minions.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
A Duke Nukem movie would be easy to do just get whatever big dude with presence/some basic training to play the role and have John St. John still voice the character.

The plot can revolve around terrorists taking over a plane like Con Air or Executive Decision and, like Con Air, every time they land the entire group just switches planes and flies to another location but instead of having a lot of screen time on the plane just show ridiculously destructive running shootouts as everyone chases each other from one plane to the next with Nukem spouting one liners about everything and having all the cool weapons like the shrink ray/holo-Nukem, etc. to creatively take out more of the group each time. This will take place in the future of 1999 like the older games so the planes will be huge massively armored things so they can fit tons of people running around and survive having gunfights in them and stuff. After he finally kills them all during their criss crossing air-trip through LA, Vegas, NYC, Salt Lake City, Chicago, Cleveland, Nashville, Minneapolis (brief side trip to Chanhassen where he pays respects at Prince's grave), Disney World, and finally Washington DC where Nukem successfully singlehandedy stops the remaining bad guys from destroying the entire White House/etc. After a ten minute montage of happy news broadcasts and footage of people from all over the world happily relieved and in awe of his awesomeness, an official diplomat looking person from the British embassy gives a King Ralph-esque genealogical breakdown of how he's technically the Duke of ____ place. But then the aliens seen in the intro to Duke Nukem 2 arrive and start attacking/abducting the people of earth and it's super gruesome (for comedy they have that device that mutates the cops into pig cops but there's no visual change in their appearance or behavior after it's activated), a panicked reporter rushes up to him and is like "MR. NUKEM! MR. NUKEM! is there anything you can do to help us?!" He looks at all the helpless people, looks at the invading alien hordes, then looks directly at the screen and says "I'm DUKE Nukeeem" and instead of having John St. John voice this it's just a sample from when he said it in a game like twenty years ago, smash cut to the Duke Nukem logo and a "Duke Nukem Will Return in Duke Nukem VS. The ______," roll credits.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Once you think about it, the Duke Nukem Movie already exists and owns hardcore, it's They Live.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

What really twists the knife is, last I checked, the original is unplayable on PC due to GFWL going down.
No it's absolutely still playable, which i know having done so a couple of months ago.

it also still kind of rules.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Anyone saying a Duke Nukem movie couldn't be done (and couldn't be entertaining) are crazy

Just make it completely over-the-top with everything and don't have it take itself seriously. Like an 80's action movie version of Black Dynamite, if that makes any sense. I'd watch 85 minutes of that. v:shobon:v

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

NiceGuy posted:

Just make it completely over-the-top with everything and don't have it take itself seriously. Like an 80's action movie version of Black Dynamite, if that makes any sense. I'd watch 85 minutes of that. v:shobon:v

Macgruber already exists and it is perfect in every way

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

NiceGuy posted:

Anyone saying a Duke Nukem movie couldn't be done (and couldn't be entertaining) are crazy

Of course it could be done

It won't though

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think the biggest problem with Duke Nukem as a movie is that the last game that anyone played was 1995. It's pretty anachronistic, and well, the only way it could be made is to just make Crank 3 instead.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

make Crank 3

please

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Iron Crowned posted:

I think the biggest problem with Duke Nukem as a movie is that the last game that anyone played was 1995. It's pretty anachronistic

There's a Tetris movie trilogy currently in pre-production, as well as Altered Beast, Contra, Asteroids, Centipede and Missile Command. Vidya game anachronisms are in, baby! :dukedog:
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/video-game-movies/170757/59-video-game-movies-currently-in-development

Edit: I knew I'd forget something really obvious. They're shooting an adaptation of Rampage right now starring The Rock.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BU4bZt0lZ1S/?taken-by=therock&hl=en

Edit 2: we also god a fuckin' Ratchet and Clank movie earlier this year

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 16, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Altered Beast, if it comes out, is gonna win some Academy Awards if movies about movies are a atrong indication of poo poo Hollywood Loves.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a Tetris movie trilogy currently in pre-production, as well as Altered Beast, Contra, Asteroids, Centipede and Missile Command. Vidya game anachronisms are in, baby!
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/video-game-movies/170757/59-video-game-movies-currently-in-development

Edit: I knew I'd forget something really obvious. They're shooting an adaptation of Rampage right now starring The Rock.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BU4bZt0lZ1S/?taken-by=therock&hl=en

Eh, all of those mentioned are ambiguous. Tetris is the worst of the bunch because, how in the hell can you attach a story to falling blocks?

I mean, Altered Beast is the one I don't remember the most, so I can't really comment, but the rest could easily be action sci-fi summer popcorn flicks.

Duke Nukem is very spelled and the people who would be clamoring for a Duke Nukem movie are going to be looking for the crudeness and sexism that worked in the social climate of the early 90's. I'm not saying it couldn't be made and/or work, it's just going to have to strike a good balance of the source material without isolating people who didn't play or don't care anymore.

Again, Crank 3 would be a better investment than Duke Nukem

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Eh, all of those mentioned are ambiguous. Tetris is the worst of the bunch because, how in the hell can you attach a story to falling blocks?

If it's not about the Berlin Wall / Soviet Occupation of Eastern Germany then I'll be very disappointed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Iron Crowned posted:

Sci-fi comedy romp akin to National Treasure

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Iron Crowned posted:

I mean, Altered Beast is the one I don't remember the most, so I can't really comment, but the rest could easily be action sci-fi summer popcorn flicks.

Duke Nukem is very spelled and the people who would be clamoring for a Duke Nukem movie are going to be looking for the crudeness and sexism that worked in the social climate of the early 90's. I'm not saying it couldn't be made and/or work, it's just going to have to strike a good balance of the source material without isolating people who didn't play or don't care anymore.

Again, Crank 3 would be a better investment than Duke Nukem

What if Crank 3 is the one where you find out he IS Duke Nukem.

The entire movie is shot from a side angle perspective like the original platformers.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

I wouldn't mind another National Treasureish movie

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What if Crank 3 is the one where you find out he IS Duke Nukem.

The entire movie is shot from a side angle perspective like the original platformers.

That would be the best timeline

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Iron Crowned posted:

I was going to add "If they did make a film that was faithful to the tone of the original that'd alienate pretty much everyone else in the world" but then I realised it'd probably track pretty well in Trump's America.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Iron Crowned posted:

I wouldn't mind another National Treasureish movie

Why did they stop making those? They were great! Nicholas Case was great in them and still needs money! They were well received by critics and audience alike!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Here is your academy award Altered Beast script: the protagonist, a washed up film star (hink rdj pre iron man) gets brought onto an unknown action film project about greece. As we watch the film his struggles are paralled on delay by the parts of the film theyre shooting (so film opens with him getting pulled back from obscurity, first film sequence is "Rise from your grave") until half way when film events begin predicting life events as he becomes more positive on his outlook.

Ill take a best supporting actor and costume

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I was going to add "If they did make a film that was faithful to the tone of the original that'd alienate pretty much everyone else in the world" but then I realised it'd probably track pretty well in Trump's America.

Honestly, using a Duke Nukem movie to highlight the true horror of Trump's America would be amazing. Just brutal violence that leaves a bad taste in the mouth of any viewer with a semblance of morality as Duke spouts one-liners.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Watch ash vs the evil dead if you want to know what a modern Duke nukem should be like.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Why did they stop making those? They were great! Nicholas Case was great in them and still needs money! They were well received by critics and audience alike!

There were no more treasures for him to find. :(

No really, the second film did even better business than the first and everyone involved was really keen to make another sequel (to the point where Disney actually registered some domain names for more sequels) but they struggled for several years to write a new script. Nic Cage was asked about it last year during an interview and he said they were still wrestling with it even though they'd apparently been working on it for 9 years.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 16, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Watch ash vs the evil dead if you want to know what a modern Duke nukem should be like.

Or just watch Army of Darkness instead of Duke Nukem: The Movie

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I feel even more than the anti-PC ness of Duke, it's moreso that Duke represents this image of Anerican heroism that could only exist in the late 80s early 90s Pax Americana era where America won the cold war and seemed both righteous and unstoppable.

Duke in the chaos and quagmire of 2017 would seem awfully out of touch. The original Expendables got around this by making it a central theme that all those 80s action stars are completely irrelevant. You couldn't have that same level of awareness with Duke. That's just not his character.

Unless you make it like bare faced satire where Duke thinks he's constantly winning while the world is collapsing around him.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FilthyImp posted:

They go from hidden tomb to hidden tomb placing the Tetris piece they found in the last location into the appropriately shaped hole in the next location to make the wall disappear and find the next piece.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
The Tetris movie should just be an 85 minute adaptation of this.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Yes. This is actually a better example than Black Dynamite. Just wall-to-wall jackassery and false bravado for the whole film, have Duke wind up face first in an alien's rear end in a top hat at some point, everyone's happy!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There were no more treasures for him to find. :(

No really, the second film did even better business than the first and everyone involved was really keen to make another sequel (to the point where Disney actually registered some domain names for more sequels) but they struggled for several years to write a new script. Nic Cage was asked about it last year during an interview and he said they were still wrestling with it even though they'd apparently been working on it for 9 years.

Jeez I don't think it's too difficult. They just did El Dorado in Mount Rushmore. Now do one where he discovered Atlantis is actually under Niagara Falls, or something, discovered by Alexander Hamilton and encoded in the Federalist papers. Houdini originally decoded it which is why he went over the falls. Cage gets an important lead in the annual seance with Houdini that gets held every year in an ambiguous​ way where maybe it was supernatural or maybe coincidence. Antagonist is a descendent of Burr but in the end it turns out he's actually an alright guy and sacrifices his life to save Nicholas Cage's​ family.

That too me five loving minutes. You're welcome Hollywood.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain_Person posted:

The Tetris movie should just be an 85 minute adaptation of this.

It won't be nearly as good as that. It's being produced by Larry Kasanoff who also produced, co-wrote, directed and co-voiced the worst animated movie ever made, the legendary Food Fight.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Jeez I don't think it's too difficult. They just did El Dorado in Mount Rushmore. Now do one where he discovered Atlantis is actually under Niagara Falls, or something, discovered by Alexander Hamilton and encoded in the Federalist papers. Houdini originally decoded it which is why he went over the falls. Cage gets an important lead in the annual seance with Houdini that gets held every year in an ambiguous​ way where maybe it was supernatural or maybe coincidence. Antagonist is a descendent of Burr but in the end it turns out he's actually an alright guy and sacrifices his life to save Nicholas Cage's​ family.

That too me five loving minutes. You're welcome Hollywood.

Okay, but Lin-Manuel Miranda has to play the ghost of Alexander Hamilton.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No ghosts are allowed as this is all plausible, realistic adventure movie. He can be in flashbacks, however, that's completely acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
a hologram stored on crystals activated by blood magic Nic Cage being awesome then

• Locked thread