Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I'd love to see Guinan coming on board and explaining that she needs a loving space Gatling gun behind the bar in case poo poo gets rowdy. As for Jellico he was pretty stupid with most of the moves he tried to make but Riker acting like the Enterprise is their own fiefdom and how dare someone try and change things was pretty bad too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

sometimes he bangs on the floor with a three foot scale model of the enterprise when ten forward gets too "lit"

*Stands up*

*Tugs shirt down*

*Pounds on floor with broom*

*Sits down, crosses legs, opens book*

Risible scamps.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
ENT S4E22: "These Are the Voyages"

A few notes:

One last visit from Cmdr. Shran? YUP :rock:

He doesn't do anything cool or Shran-like? NOPE
(It's almost as if Berman and Braga didn't know or care about anything about him and just used him as shallow fan-service at the very last. Almost. You know. Yeah.)

Fat Riker and The TNG Stuff (good band name, btw) was lame, unnecessary, and obviously shoe-horned in. Had ENT's finale had anything whatsoever to do with Riker's quandary, it would have been kind of alright (TNG-wankery, but otherwise alright). But as it is, he's supposed to be learning a difficult lesson about orders vs ethics, and he watches a holonovel about the foundation of the Federation in which a beloved crew member dies. None of it has anything to do with his thing. It made any already silly premise even worse.

Chef being the empty slot for the holonovel's player character was kind of cool, though. :shrug:

It seemed like a ton of poo poo was missing. Like, a half hour worth of stuff. During Trip's trip ( :buddy: ) to the Chef, Riker mentions that he hasn't talked to Archer yet. So I expected that the episode is saving that conversation for the very last, which would make sense. And then... nope! No chat between Riker and Archer. What the gently caress?

I don't remember Trip's death from this first time I watched this (granted, I was kind of half watching it at the time). That says a lot about how abrupt and weird it's handled in this episode. It occurs too late, and isn't given the right gravity in the aftermath. I kind of wanted more from the medical drama scene, and more from T'Pol in the aftermath. I frankly wanted to see her hulk out and smash a computer monitor into a table like Spock does when he loses his poo poo. Just... more. Seeing the rest of the crew's reaction too would make this less like the awkward mistake that was how Jadzia's death was handled in DS9. There were a lot of missed opportunities around this part of the episode alone, and is maybe the most frustrating part of it.

Speaking of which, the absence of Archer's speech was weird, and frustrating. Everything about the last ten minutes was intensely frustrating. Riker is grappling with some bullshit we don't care about, and we never see the resolution of that. We never see the climactic speech that founds the Federation?! I could have sworn it was there when I saw this episode on TV when it aired, but maybe I'm just crazy. It's downright insulting when the ENT-D swoops in when we should be seeing Archer's big speech. It's like a visual metaphor for everything that is wrong with Berman's and Braga's relationship with Trek. It was one last "gently caress you" to anyone that had the nerve to be interested in anything beyond the end of TNG.

gently caress you, Rick Berman, and gently caress you Brannon Braga. You "saved" Trek from oblivion only to systematically stifle it for twenty years. You're both like lovely, overbearing parents that won't let their kids grow up.

In all, I liked ENT. It's first two seasons stunk, but they weren't ever as bad as VOY at its worst. And the bad stuff was over sooner too, whereas VOY had rich veins of bad TV threaded throughout its run. Season three was good: not bad, but not as good as TNG, DS9, or TOS when they were really humming (we shall never speak of TAS because it is too beautiful for this world). Season four was consistently good, and as I said a little while ago it's a shame this wasn't the first season and all of the alliance-making wasn't threaded through 3-5 seasons.

Alright. I've now seen every movie, and episode of every Trek series, including TAS. There's a reward for all of this, right?

Right?!

:negative:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Achievement Unlocked: Nerd

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

CPColin posted:

Achievement description: "Man I can't believe anyone would actually bother with Voyager and Enterprise."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

These Are The Voyages (Of Your Perpetual Virginity)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah, not showing (or writing, lol) Archer's full speech was just as bad as "let's start the episode with Voyager already being home!" There's toying with viewer expectations and then there's robbing them of the narrative satisfaction they came here for in the first place.

It's like someone thinking they're doing anti-humor by telling a joke and literally giving no punchline at all, rather than doing an anti-punchline.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah, not showing (or writing, lol) Archer's full speech was just as bad as "let's start the episode with Voyager already being home!" There's toying with viewer expectations and then there's robbing them of the narrative satisfaction they came here for in the first place.

It's like someone thinking they're doing anti-humor by telling a joke and literally giving no punchline at all, rather than doing an anti-punchline.

There was a young man from Japan
Whose limericks never would scan.
And when they asked why,
He said "I do try!
But when I get to the last line I try to fit in as many words as I can."
--Anonymous

~Becomes~

There was a young man from Japan
Whose limericks never would scan.
And that's it. gently caress off, nerd.
--Rick Berman

I honestly don't understand what they were thinking cutting away from the speech like they did. They go right up to the moment it starts! You would think Troi would saying something like, "There's a reason I had to memorize this in grade school. You should really stay to watch it." Jesus Tapdancing Christ.

Also, because Trip's death is bothering me more and more:

"Florida Man Sacrifices Himself to Save Crew, Is Eulogized By No One"

*In Mr. Plinkett Voice* Bermannnnnnnnnnn :argh:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

McSpanky posted:

These Are The Voyages (Of Your Perpetual Virginity)

My wife's response to the ending was, "Well, that's over. Now I can stop imagining hurting you for playing that theme song in our home. Never again."

She also said of the MU theme: "I would live in this lovely alternate reality just to get away from the Enterprise theme song."

:allears:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

^^^ haha your wife is great

And remember, all of this was intended to be "a love letter to the fans". What fresh hell would have been unleashed if they were actually trying to burn all the bridges??

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 16, 2017

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

For me Trip's death is so dumb and weightless that it's more insulting than the TNG stuff.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Railing Kill posted:

Alright. I've now seen every movie, and episode of every Trek series, including TAS. There's a reward for all of this, right?

Right?!

:negative:

To be REALLY complete, you need to track down the TNG crossover episode of Webster.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2015/03/tng-webster-crossover/

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

cenotaph posted:

For me Trip's death is so dumb and weightless that it's more insulting than the TNG stuff.

It's maybe the only time where the non-canon retcon in the novels (Trip faked his death for some reason and Riker's holo program is based on false history) is a straight upgrade over what actually aired. Probably an unnecessary spoiler tag but whatever.

If Discovery wants to go ahead and make that official that would be cool and also kinda hilarious.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Just heard that FAKE HOLODECK didn't even report about the beautiful speech I made to the Federation. Shran called me and told me he loved it. Never heard from the Vulcans. SAD!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

J33uk posted:

I'd love to see Guinan coming on board and explaining that she needs a loving space Gatling gun behind the bar in case poo poo gets rowdy. As for Jellico he was pretty stupid with most of the moves he tried to make but Riker acting like the Enterprise is their own fiefdom and how dare someone try and change things was pretty bad too.

It's just a unique adult-beverage bottle with a fancy flashlight. She was bluffing.

CPColin posted:

Nerdvana, surely.

And the reason they didn't show Archer's speech is simply that they couldn't write it.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Delsaber posted:

It's maybe the only time where the non-canon retcon in the novels (Trip faked his death for some reason and Riker's holo program is based on false history) is a straight upgrade over what actually aired. Probably an unnecessary spoiler tag but whatever.

If Discovery wants to go ahead and make that official that would be cool and also kinda hilarious.

Yeah, I knew that from reading this thread. I don't pay attention to books and stuff but it's nice to know that it bothered someone enough to do something.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

And the reason they didn't show Archer's speech is simply that they couldn't write it.

I think that's the saddest part of the whole thing. Maybe it was supposed to be a "left to your imagination" type deal, but Star Trek that doesn't relish the opportunity to indulge in dramatic oratory is hardly Star Trek at all. Berman isn't a writer and was barely an 'idea man" and I suspect Braga always needed to have Moore around to punch up his dialog. That's Ent's problem in a nutshell. It has lots of familiar plots, some of them even good, but never had that passion, the wit, the endless scenery chewing speeches that makes good Star Trek what it is.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Duckbag posted:

I think that's the saddest part of the whole thing. Maybe it was supposed to be a "left to your imagination" type deal, but Star Trek that doesn't relish the opportunity to indulge in dramatic oratory is hardly Star Trek at all. Berman isn't a writer and was barely an 'idea man" and I suspect Braga always needed to have Moore around to punch up his dialog. That's Ent's problem in a nutshell. It has lots of familiar plots, some of them even good, but never had that passion, the wit, the endless scenery chewing speeches that makes good Star Trek what it is.

This has been my suspicion as well. It's funny because there's some evidence that Archer sucks at writing speeches. That episode where everyone goes nuts and fixates on one thing ("Florida Man Goes Insane, Fixes a Chair") has Archer fixating on some speech honoring his dad. While everyone else's stuff gets resolved, his doesn't, so it's as though the episode is telling us, "Archer just straight up sucks at writing. They cn't all be winners." That's fine, and it would have been cool to see him stumble out of the gate during the foundation speech, but then pull it together like a boss. Or, you know, just give an Adama-esque Inspirational Speech. But nope. We get nothing except the Ent-D mooning us just as Rick loving Berman and Brannon loving Bragas named appear on the screen. Fade to black. The outragous timing is poetic, in it's own way, even if it's terrible. gently caress those guys.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Riker's Holodeck Cameo would have made for a fantastic middle of the season, maybe Sweeps episode. Just not a series finale.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Astroman posted:

Riker's Holodeck Cameo would have made for a fantastic middle of the season, maybe Sweeps episode. Just not a series finale.

They should have brought Riker in to see how Archer handled a similar situation. Like maybe there was some treaty issue between Earth and someone else and Archer struggled with something admiral whatever had done. That would at least apply to The Pegasus. It would also be way better than doing their stupid birth of the federation thing without the actual birth of the federation.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They should have had an incredibly dry and boring speech that manages to accidentally insult some of the more emotional species and the Vulcans and Tellarites would have loved it. That's 3/4 votes.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Got both volumes of The 50 Year Mission and very excited to slog through the ToS poo poo I don't care about and get to the sweet TNG stuff

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I don't get why they even set it during Pegasus. It's not a very good or memorable episode. My theory is it's because that was Riker's last real spotlight episode, but having Fat Frakes playing Captain Riker facing some crisis while settling into his new command would have been so much better.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Duckbag posted:

I don't get why they even set it during Pegasus. It's not a very good or memorable episode. My theory is it's because that was Riker's last real spotlight episode, but having Fat Frakes playing Captain Riker facing some crisis while settling into his new command would have been so much better.

It had Terry O'Quinn, you take that right the hell back. :toughguy:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The best part of the Enterprise finale is they only built a portion of the 10 Forward set so they spliced that into old footage.

Old footage that Riker was also in.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I wonder if Berman had the brilliant idea that since Riker's appearances in DS9 and VOY were both well received, he'd be a good choice to do an appearance in the franchise finale.

Defiant is a phenomenal episode and while the Voyager Q episodes were kinda meh (much like the rest of the show) and supported almost entirely by John de Lancie being wonderful, Q poofing Riker into existence in Death Wish only to send him back without memories of being on Voyager to troll Janeway is great.a

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Duckbag posted:

Should have set it in a first season episode.

Maybe the one where Riker gets the Q powers. Or encounter at Farpoint, could have had fat old Data whistling Pop Goes the Weasel.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Duckbag posted:

I like Pegasus, but the real mystery is why they bothered to set it in a TNG episode at all. Like, okay, do this poo poo if you really want to, but set it post-TNG so that fat, old Riker isn't so wildly incongruous and so you aren't literally inserting scenes in the middle of an existing episode that doesn't need them. It's terrible decisions all the way down.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Up the Long Ladder. Worf growling at the beginning is funny for some reason.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The mystery of the Thoreau colony or whatever isn't grabbing me but the subplot of Worf and Pulaski falling in love is great.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Riker hitting openly on the chieftain's daughter, who shows him ankle

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Whoa. Now she's wearing the sexiest outfit I've ever seen on Star Trek

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I wonder what the exact difference between synthahol and alcohol is.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Probably a less debilitating hangover.

I think they said once in TNG that you can basically take a pill (or I guess a hypospray) that breaks down all the synthahol really quick so if the ship starts blowing up the entire engineering team can sober up in a jiffy.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The whole TNG cast should have rotated through the Archer program instead of just Riker.

Geordie spends the whole time awkwardly hitting on T'Pol, then Hoshi, and finally...Reed

In Barclay's scenes the NX-01 crew is praising him every single sentence.

Troi is totally confused about everyone's motivations because her telepathy doesn't work on holograms, and she's constantly elbowing Riker to ask him what's going on.

Beverly falls in love with the NX-01 snack machine and gets gum in her hair.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kazinsal posted:

Probably a less debilitating hangover.

I think they said once in TNG that you can basically take a pill (or I guess a hypospray) that breaks down all the synthahol really quick so if the ship starts blowing up the entire engineering team can sober up in a jiffy.

The original concept was that you could basically just will yourself sober if you want to, and that synthehol was a Ferengi invention as it allowed them to imbibe during business meetings and then be able to sober up when the real negotiations started.

At some point the writers started writing it as more like some lovely lite beer and replicated food became equivalent to TV dinners.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm digging the set design of the sophisticated lost colony.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

The whole TNG cast should have rotated through the Archer program instead of just Riker.

Geordie spends the whole time awkwardly hitting on T'Pol, then Hoshi, and finally...Reed

In Barclay's scenes the NX-01 crew is praising him every single sentence.

Troi is totally confused about everyone's motivations because her telepathy doesn't work on holograms, and she's constantly elbowing Riker to ask him what's going on.

Beverly falls in love with the NX-01 snack machine and gets gum in her hair.

What's the Archer program?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The kid she's holding is so unnaturally cute I thought it was fake until it blinked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What's the Archer program?

The Enterprise finale.