Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Meet the new gods
Same as the old gods

Emoji Movie?

Emoji movie has Patrick Stewart, so you know, at minimum you can just lie back and think of England

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, at any rate, I have more interest in Cars 3 than I do Emoji Movie, so there's that.

Of course, I also am one of the few who didn't mind either previous Cars movie, including the understandably-maligned second one, so there's also that...

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'd rather see Cars 3 than Emoji Movie. Pixar tends to remember its artistic eye, so you're bound to at least get some stunning scenery and lighting out of it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

For better or for worse, Emoji Movie is going to save Sony Pictures.

I almost accidentally typed Sin Pictures and considered leaving it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Emoji Movie is already pissing off olds simply by existing so it's better than Baby Boomer Nostalgic Self-Absorbtion 3: Taking Millennials Down A Peg Edition by default.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Thinking about the THIS SUMMER EVERYTHING CHANGES trailer for cars 3 still makes me giggle

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm imagining some 1 second wham shot at the end of the final Cars 3 trailer of an actual human.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Looper posted:

Thinking about the THIS SUMMER EVERYTHING CHANGES trailer for cars 3 still makes me giggle

THIS SUMMER

EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED

IT'S REALLY SCARY

THINGS WERE BETTER BACK IN MY DAY

WE BOUGHT HOUSES

NOT AVOCADOS

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Das Boo posted:

I'm a little bummed the new gods are looking like rehashed old gods, right down to the skull pupils.

That's a hypothetical poster the creators made a few months ago, well before they announced the sequel was moving forward.

I was lukewarm on the first Book of Life, I felt it had character and was enjoyable, but the framing device was *terrible* and some of the creative choices were less than perfect (weird soundtrack choices, Biz Markie). But I'll support any sequel coming from an independent studio, it's important for independent studios to be able to compete against bigger pics.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Reports are that Cars 3 makes basically no reference at all to Cars 2, outside Mater being a bit more mature.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

CRINDY posted:

That's a hypothetical poster the creators made a few months ago, well before they announced the sequel was moving forward.

I was lukewarm on the first Book of Life, I felt it had character and was enjoyable, but the framing device was *terrible* and some of the creative choices were less than perfect (weird soundtrack choices, Biz Markie). But I'll support any sequel coming from an independent studio, it's important for independent studios to be able to compete against bigger pics.

My feelings on Book of Life are muddled. I can say I really didn't like the movie based on script, pacing, editing, humor sense and yeah, that awful framing device. I also really hated the way Maria was handled. No worries about getting to know someone you haven't seen in 20 years because she is literally perfect, such a Strong Female CharacterTM that is excellent at everything, beloved by all and not even human anymore because she is more flawless than gods. She is a cosmic entity of perfection, so why bother giving her a character? :mad:
AT THE SAME TIME, I adore, adore, adore its visual direction and design more than any animated movie released in the last 20 years. It had the pizzazz of 2D animation translated into 3D without succumbing to the normalization process most of them go through. It took full advantage of 3D animation in that the models were gussied to the nines and the world around them matched their charm and energy. I hope you're right and they're not going with those god designs, because they just showed so much goddamn imagination and had such superb execution of the character designs in the original.

And someone, somewhere give Maria a character. With FLAWS.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I have to support Book of Life, my friend did art for the DVD extra short film, and a bunch of stuff for BoL2.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Here's another choice selection from the Japanese animation archive http://animation.filmarchives.jp/works/playen/43683

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I saw the book of life DVD and just thought they could not have picked the most boring lay out for the cover, or a character that shows absolutely nothing of the movie's interesting points.

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Reports are that Cars 3 makes basically no reference at all to Cars 2, outside Mater being a bit more mature.

Just saw. Can confirm. Acts like the second film never happened.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Book of Life is one of those movies that actually could've/should've ended with a three-way and I wouldn't blink an eye.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

GeekyManatee posted:

The plot of Cars 2 was about old clunkers being evil and conspiring to actively ruin everything for everyone rather than accepting that their time had passed, I can see how they would want to ignore considering it completely goes against 3 being about showing the new hotshots that the old ways are better.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Did a baby boomer run over your dog or something?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Yes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And then they wrote a thinkpiece about how millennials are killing pet stores because he adopted instead.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Why would I spend thousands of dollars on a puppy mill raised dog when I can save one's life for $50 from a rescue?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Why would I spend thousands of dollars on a puppy mill raised dog when I can save one's life for $50 from a rescue?

You're a monster. I bet you've never bought a diamond OR golfed a day in your life!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Das Boo posted:

You're a monster. I bet you've never bought a diamond OR golfed a day in your life!

Extremely guilty.

:getin:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GeekyManatee posted:

Well, what did you think about it? Was it as anti-millennial as the trailers made it seem?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Das Boo posted:

Probably spends his money on Covfefe jokes.

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Well, what did you think about it? Was it as anti-millennial as the trailers made it seem?

It's a cut and dry comeback-veteran story. There's nothing you haven't seen before. Something I found a little bit jarring was how the narrative of the film was very much pushing the idea that old-ways-are-best-ways-and-should-be-cherished and let's pour one out for the olden days, but McQueen actually embraces the changes and is more upset that he's being outcast instead of being allowed to evolve with it. So on the one hand you have this protagonist who is actually enthralled and curious with new technology, and the concept of moving a step beyond the current. While on the other you have a cinematic atmosphere that's very gloom and doom about snarky new wave tech babies charging in and pissing all over the spark of traditional gusto.

The way McQueen's character development (god, I am talking about a sentient car here) is handled and the finale were actually the unexpected highlights for me. Seeing his character take on the changes in the world and how it's affecting his career in an interpersonal way instead of through a solely ham-fisted simple social-political lens was kinda nice. Also phenomenal animation - per usual.

The ending also has a kind of "I could see that coming" moment, but it was also really refreshing. The story sets you up for an ordinary comeback finish and instead goes more down a more nuanced road.

Plot really is super cut and paste though and the script is bland. Middle of the road cash grab. I'd recommend waiting for it to be released on streaming or bluray or whatever.

GeekyManatee fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 17, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't know if I'll ever see Cars 3 haha.

I'm watching An American Tail on this lazy Sunday morning :3: Haha love the Cossack cats

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It's weird though, Fievel and his family emigrate to America because some mean ol' cats chased them a bit? Why is the audience not clued in on the wider geopawlitical situation in 19th century Russia?

I know it's show don't tell but maybe do at least one of the above!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Tiger is a good catte :3:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
With the trailers for Cars 3 I got the sense that McQueen had gone full circle; he was like King or whatever the blue car was named in the first movie who was near the end of his career and was doing one last hurrah. The nasty green car was the spergy win-at-any-cost rival. McQueen wants to retire on his own terms, and his beliefs are tempered by his mentor, who got abandoned due to one big crash as well. Its also taking the hot young upstart from the first film and turning him into the somewhat out of touch veteran, whose momentum has carried him this far. But keep in mind McQueen's success was due to listening to the old masters of his time, not that he thought things were necessarily better in his own day (since his own day was full of self serving assholes).

So I don't see the whole sticking it to Millenials vibe since McQueen is ultimately more of a Millenial analgue than anything. Some day Gen Y are going to be the doddering out of touch generation and that's what Cars 3 seemed to convey.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Panfilo posted:

So I don't see the whole sticking it to Millenials vibe since McQueen is ultimately more of a Millenial analgue than anything. Some day Gen Y are going to be the doddering out of touch generation and that's what Cars 3 seemed to convey.

It was honestly more how the director had described the rival character in pre-release interviews, where he used a lot of those out of touch and blaming millennials buzzwords.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
But was he spending all his winnings on avolvodo toast?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

K. Waste posted:

Here's another choice selection from the Japanese animation archive http://animation.filmarchives.jp/works/playen/43683

This is amazing, I love the crab people, and the scene where the little crab child tells his friends about the monkey is a really nice use of a speech bubble. I'm kinda curious as to whether the way they dress and the interiors etc were just contemporaneous with the film (1920's), or historical to give the whole thing some sort of folktale/history vibe.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I am thinking of doing a YEAR OF PIXAR thing in anticipation of Coco's release.

Coco comes out December 26th for me, which is 27 weeks away. I am going to Japan for 5 weeks later this year, so that gives me 22 weeks of normal home life between now and then. (NB: For other countries Coco comes out November 22nd, which is 22 weeks away - so same amount of time anyway!)

There are 18 Pixar theatrical films which, if you watch one a week, still leaves some weeks for breaks or whatever else. But I worked out a watching plan that includes every film and short film over 19 weeks, all in chronological order, and I'm gonna do it. See week 15 for the non-film week.

As far as I can tell this covers everything except the Cars Toons, which there are too loving many of and also gently caress them :shrug:

So here's the list:

---

HEDRIGALL'S YEAR OF PIXAR LIST

Note: I'm including all the theatrical shorts right before the films they accompanied, except the ones for TS2 and Nemo, which were replays of the 80s short films. Those I'll watch in the lead-up to Toy Story. As far as I can tell TS1 didn't have an accompanying short.

Note 2: I'm also including the relevant tie-in shorts after their movies — except the Toy Story ones, which were released all over the place after TS3. All these tie-in shorts are denoted with a "+"

Week 1
1984 - Adventures of Andre and Wally B
1986 - Luxo Jr
1987 - Red's Dream
1988 - Tin Toy
1989 - Knick Knack
1995 - TOY STORY

Week 2
1997 - Geri's Game (watch before Bug's Life)
1998 - A BUG'S LIFE

Week 3
1999 - TOY STORY 2

Week 4
2000 - For the Birds (watch before Monsters Inc)
2001 - MONSTERS INC
2002 - Mike's New Car (+Monsters Inc)

Week 5
2003 - FINDING NEMO

Week 6
2003 - Boundin' (watch before Incredibles)
2004 - INCREDIBLES
2005 - Jack-Jack Attack (+Incredibles)

Week 7
2005 - One Man Band (watch before Cars)
2006 - CARS
2006 - Mater and the Ghostlight (+Cars)

Week 8
2006 - Lifted (watch before Ratatouille)
2007 - RATATOUILLE
2007 - Your Friend the Rat (+Ratatouille)

Week 9
2008 - Presto (watch before Wall-E)
2008 - WALL-E
2008 - Burn-E (+Wall-E)
:toot: Special feature time! :toot:
2008 - The Pixar Story (feature-length documentary on Wall-E bluray)

Week 10
2009 - Partly Cloudy (watch before Up)
2009 - UP
2009 - Dug's Special Mission (+Up)
2009 - George & AJ (+Up)

Week 11
2010 - Day & Night (watch before Toy Story 3)
2010 - TOY STORY 3

Week 12 (ugh, this week is gonna suck)
2011 - Hawaiian Vacation (watch before Cars 2 [+Toy Story])
2011 - CARS 2
2011 - Small Fry (+Toy Story)

(I go to Japan around this point unless I take weeks off between the first 12.)

Week 13
2011 - La Luna (watch before Brave)
2012 - BRAVE
2012 - The Legend of Mor'du (+Brave)
2012 - Partysaurus Rex (+Toy Story)

Week 14
2013 - The Blue Umbrella (watch before Monsters U)
2013 - MONSTERS U
2013 - Party Central (+Monsters U)

Week 15 - the week of no theatrical films!
2013 - Toy Story of Terror!
2014 - Toy Story that Time Forgot - perfect for kicking off my Christmas movie watching season (late October/early November every year :3:)

Week 16 (cry time central)
2014 - Lava (watch before Inside Out)
2015 - INSIDE OUT
2015 - Riley's First Date (+Inside Out)

Week 17
2015 - Sanjay's Super Team (watch before Good Dino)
2015 - GOOD DINOSAUR

Week 18
2016 - Piper (watch before Finding Dory)
2016 - FINDING DORY

Week 19 (merry loving christmas)
2017 - Lou (watch before Cars 3)
2017 - CARS 3

Finale
2017 - COCO

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 19, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I feel like every Pixar DVD I own has a feature length 'this is Pixar' style documentary on it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like every Pixar DVD I own has a feature length 'this is Pixar' style documentary on it.

Really? Oh, well the Wall-E home media has this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pixar_Story

It played at film festivals n stuff

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Hed, are you gonna do a blog or something? I'd love that.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Unmature posted:

Hed, are you gonna do a blog or something? I'd love that.

Aww I dunno. I tend to give up on projects like that halfway through. Like I gave up on my various China Mieville book-related blogging projects :/

I'll probably just irritate you all with my thoughts each week here :kiddo:

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

I'll probably just excite and entertain you all with my thoughts each week here :kiddo:

Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Saw Captain Underpants yesterday, it was pretty damned fun!

It takes potty humor and make fun of it (apparently the books do it too?). It's the only animated movie that has potty humor that isn't really crude at all unlike pretty much every animated movie in the last 4-5 years (minus Zootopia).

I loved the art style in the movie and this is definitely one I'll pick up on Blu-Ray once it's out. Luckily, it's a kid's movie so it should be on Blu-Ray in a few months.