Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

No there weren't. At least no good cards that you wanted to be playing that answered them. They are bad deigns for different reasons but they are all in the design error category.

White has Stasis Snare (Both), Dec in Stone(Emrakul), Black has Oblivion Strike(Emmy), Murder(Copter), Blue has Imprisoned in the Moon(Emmy) and tons of bounce spells for Copter. Red with Fiery Temper/Harnessed(Copter) and those are just off the top of my head which I"m sure there is more

Just because you deem a card "not good" doesn't mean it's not an answer. If you don't want to run them that's on you but to say there are no answers is just false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

80s James Hetfield posted:

White has Stasis Snare (Both), Dec in Stone(Emrakul), Black has Oblivion Strike(Emmy), Murder(Copter), Blue has Imprisoned in the Moon(Emmy) and tons of bounce spells for Copter. Red with Fiery Temper/Harnessed(Copter) and those are just off the top of my head which I"m sure there is more

Just because you deem a card "not good" doesn't mean it's not an answer. If you don't want to run them that's on you but to say there are no answers is just false.

If you are listing four-mana draft fodder as answers to be played in real constructed decks I don't think we can trust your analysis for much.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Alaan posted:

Is the GP Fri/sat instead of Sat/Sun?

Legacy is Thurs/Fri, Limited is Fri/Sat, Modern is Sat/Sun.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

If you have Imprisoned in the Moon when Emrakul gets cast, you're going to lose that game. If you have Oblivion Strike in your hand when Emrakul gets cast and control a creature, you're going to lose that game. If you have no creatures in play when Emrakul gets cast, you've already lost that game! If you're holding up 3+ mana in the hopes of answering an opponent's two drop or finisher, you're going to lose that match.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Voyager I posted:

If you are listing four-mana draft fodder as answers to be played in real constructed decks I don't think we can trust your analysis for much.

None of those are 4 mana and all of them were all at one time spells in constructed decks except for Imprisoned in the Moon.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

None of those are a reasonable answer to Emrakul. Even if you get lucky and topdeck them after they strip every good spell out of your hand. You're profiting on mana with basically every single way you listed that they can kill your copter. NTM the fact of how ubiquitous it was.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Chandra's Defeat
R
Instant
Chandra's Defeat deals 5 damage to target red creature or red planeswalker. If it was a Chandra planeswalker, you may discard a card. If you do, draw a card.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 16, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

None of those are 4 mana and all of them were all at one time spells in constructed decks except for Imprisoned in the Moon.

No one ever played Oblivion Strike, and also Murder is a bad answer to Copter because it costs more than the creature it's killing.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Elyv posted:

No one ever played Oblivion Strike, and also Murder is a bad answer to Copter because it costs more than the creature it's killing.

I saw Oblivion Strike played last week at the GP to get rid of Ulamog

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

YggdrasilTM posted:

Chandra's Defeat
R
Instant
Chandra's Defeat deals 5 damage to target red creature or red planeswalker. If it was a Chandra planeswalker, you may discard a card. If you do, draw a card.

I don't know Italian but I'm guessing that the flavor text is Bolas making fun of Chandra for only knowing how to work with fire, which owns.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I saw Oblivion Strike played last week at the GP to get rid of Ulamog

There are no good decks playing that card.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

C-Euro posted:

I don't know Italian but I'm guessing that the flavor text is Bolas making fun of Chandra for only knowing how to work with fire, which owns.

He really does maybe kick their rear end and somehow banish them to a bunch of different planes at the end of HOD doesn't he.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

YggdrasilTM posted:

Chandra's Defeat
R
Instant

Well drat. That's same serious removal right there. One mana five damage, instant speed?

Edit: red only, never mind.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

The Lord of Hats posted:

Well drat. That's same serious removal right there. One mana five damage, instant speed?

edit: efb

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Instant R: Destroy Target Glorybringer

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

YggdrasilTM posted:

Chandra's Defeat
R
Instant

This one's upside should be for when you target a Glorybringer, and then it would be good

Edit; goddamnit mcmagic

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

mcmagic posted:

I'm not advocating for jail time for the leakier but it's not out of the realm of possibility.
I'm advocating death by arena combat.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
lol at the fact and fiction: magic would be worse without the lore and storylines

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

He really does maybe kick their rear end and somehow banish them to a bunch of different planes at the end of HOD doesn't he.

It does seem like an elegant way to pull back on the amount of Gatewatch per set, and not having to stick to the same plane for multiple sets means they can have arcs focusing on individual characters without being locked in for a full six months.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Good lord this match. Grixis vs. Sneak and Show

Game 1: Turn 2 Emrakul win
Game 2: Turn 1 Island, Lotus Petal, SSGuide ---> Blood Moon

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Grixis is actually a favorite in this matchup despite the way these games have gone.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

C-Euro posted:

It's not Italian (it's Portuguese) but it basically says "Fire? Is that your only trick, Chandra?"

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

So...the Grixis player kept a hand with no 0-1 mana interaction in game 2? I've never played Grixis and only like 3 matches of S&S ever but I feel like that has to be a mistake.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Elyv posted:

So...the Grixis player kept a hand with no 0-1 mana interaction in game 2? I've never played Grixis and only like 3 matches of S&S ever but I feel like that has to be a mistake.

His T1 was Dual land --> DRS

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

His T1 was Dual land --> DRS

Okay sure but did he have any 2-3 mana spells that can stop a t2 show? I can't imagine why he'd keep otherwise. I guess he could have had Flusterstorms and/or spell pierces since S&S usually can't t1

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
DRS is kiiiind of an out, I guess? Assuming his opponent is on basically nothing after the T1 Blood Moon, he can discard lands to hand size for deathrite to filter and then try to stick a Delver and blind flip or something?

It's...not great.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

C-Euro posted:

It's Portuguese, rough Google translate is "Fire? Is this your only trick, Chandra?"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's not Italian (it's Portuguese) but it basically says "Fire? Is that your only trick, Chandra?"

Nibble posted:

It's Portuguese, rough Google translate is "Fire? Is this your only trick, Chandra?"

And apparently I don't know Portuguese either :v: thanks

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I just noticed that it looks like Chandra is on Bolas's hand

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

C-Euro posted:

And apparently I don't know Portuguese either :v: thanks

At a glance, Portuguese looks more like Spanish than Italian, but the "m"s give it away {"descartar um card")--in Italian the discard clause would have been "scarta una carta" and Spanish would have been "descarta una carta"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

suicidesteve posted:

I've been told from a pretty reliable source that WotC employees aren't allowed to stream.

Something like 2 per box 1 per 3 boxes respectively? Something like that.

Well then I hope he does well because it was hard enough to build the small mtg twitch community he has at this point and taking a year off for this job is going to wipe it out.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Who will be the first to craft a "Defeat" deck using Distorting Lens (or other color changers)?

Seems like an interesting (maybe not effective?) trick.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
the magic stream is always such a disaster

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

It's Sea-MAN!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm legit disappointed that the entire Gatewatch ate poo poo and not just Jace

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Rigel posted:

I just noticed that it looks like Chandra is on Bolas's hand

There's no "looks like." Bolas is so large that he is holding Chandra in his hand.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Star Man posted:

There's no "looks like." Bolas is so large that he is holding Chandra in his hand.

Also to be fair it looks like that.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

TheChirurgeon posted:

I mean...short answer? Yes. Long answer? Yes.

That really is kind of her One Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

JerryLee posted:

I'm legit disappointed that the entire Gatewatch ate poo poo and not just Jace

the only good member of the group is ajani, and he told them they were gonna get hosed

so i'm glad of the events transpiring