Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't think it's reasonable to expect a completely problem free first day of a popular MMO expansion, but it's also really loving stupid that they put in an instance bottleneck basically at the start of the MSQ, especially when the MSQ gates pretty much everything in the expansion. It's amazing to me because HW had two different quest chains at the start with two different solo instances in order to avoid this exact problem. It's like they did the exact opposite of learning a lesson.

We've even got branching quest chains here too! Just that one of them doesn't have an instance when it easily could have. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Either I have rose tinted glasses or heavensward's launch was so smooth it spoiled me but yeah this is pretty much the default mmo launch day expansion experience iirc

heavensward and legion were both pretty good, as far as mmo launches go.

this one's not gonna be fondly remembered. best to just sit back and crack open a cold steel with the boys

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If only there were some sort of technology in place to put people in an automated line to replace the line people are trying to make which isn't working.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

strong bird posted:

No one should chill out. The game they paid for should work

Or, maybe the game should work and people should chill out.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I can't even bring myself to be mad unless these problems continue to exist on Tuesday. Then I think it is ok to be upset.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Minrad posted:

heavensward and legion were both pretty good, as far as mmo launches go.

this one's not gonna be fondly remembered. best to just sit back and crack open a cold steel with the boys

Greeted with a 999 queue to get in after last disconnect

Maybe I'll play something else today

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
everyone else please log out tia

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Trainmonk posted:

It will, so chill out.

It doesn't, so no.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the annoying part is their complete silence about the situation, beyond "try again later", while the amount of people waiting there is enough to fill the instance for literal weeks.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Guess I'll be grinding relics on Warframe instead tonight. Should get that Quanta Vandal, I missed it the last time around.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Gamefly should be delivering Yakuza 0 today. yay

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

this cuba libre was supposed to be for ala mhigo's liberation... now I'm just enjoying it as I fight Raubahn's wall.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bwahahahaha! It's like all my namedays have come at once!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Varam posted:

Foundation (well, The Pillars), at the line of merchants near the market board.
Thanks. I found the 255 gear vendors.

It's all white-rarity, non-HQ stuff, but still quite an upgrade from the ilvl 200-210 gear most of my little FC is using. Between poetics and this gear, we're all rocking ilvl 258 or so!

Hopefully the Duty Finder get stable enough for us to finish Sohr Khai this weekend. We failed it the first time (only the second dungeon we've ever failed, always going in blind!), but we were barely at the minimum ilvl.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

strong bird posted:

It doesn't, so no.

You won't, so no.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't think it's reasonable to expect a completely problem free first day of a popular MMO expansion, but it's also really loving stupid that they put in an instance bottleneck basically at the start of the MSQ, especially when the MSQ gates pretty much everything in the expansion. It's amazing to me because HW had two different quest chains at the start with two different solo instances in order to avoid this exact problem. It's like they did the exact opposite of learning a lesson.

I have massive WoW flashbacks. The first expansion had a single zone herding everyone through and it was a clusterfuck. They deliberately used two new zones in their next expansion and the one after that (even though in the latter, Cataclysm, one zone was a much less popular underwater zone). Then in the next expansion they forgot all about it, forced everyone through the same zone, which their servers couldn't handle. So everyone got stuck in the mandatory "take helicopter to fly to new expansion" pseudo-cutscene right in the beginning.

And with everyone now joining the servers (Excalibur was "fine" when Americans were asleep :v:) you can't even do any other content because most of it also relies on instance servers that are getting hammered, it's amazing. In the age of the :smithcloud: I expect load balancing to work better than in 2007, and I expect devs to know about and take into account the weaknesses of their infrastructure when designing the game and launching "early access", but here we are.

orcane fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 16, 2017

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I've done a couple dungeons with red mages and samurais as the DPS and they're SLAUGHTERING.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

That's perfect

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Are there any vendors around i180-200 I can use for leveling gld desynth?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

This one armed man gets thousand of hot catgirls lined up
and basically, your loving retarded
HOW?....
click here to find out A system error occurred during event movement.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Minrad posted:

so this is what yoshi meant when he said there would be server consequences for adding more inventory space

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

:perfect:

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

orcane posted:

I have massive WoW flashbacks. The first expansion had a single zone herding everyone through and it was a clusterfuck. They deliberately used two new zones in their next expansion and the one after that (even though in the latter, Cataclysm, one zone was a much less popular underwater zone). Then in the next expansion they forgot all about it, forced everyone through the same zone, which their servers couldn't handle. So everyone got stuck in the mandatory "take helicopter to fly to new expansion" pseudo-cutscene right in the beginning.

And with everyone now joining the servers (Excalibur was "fine" when Americans were asleep :v:) you can't even do any other content because most of it also relies on instance servers that are getting hammered, it's amazing. In the age of the :smithcloud: I expect load balancing to work better than in 2007, and I expect devs to know about and take into account the weaknesses of their infrastructure when designing the game and launching "early access", but here we are.

It's partly due to FFXIVs weird instancing system. The instances are not dynamic, but static. There are a limited number of slots for each fight, and once those are filled, everyone else will have to wait. We saw this happening back in 2.x as well, when everyone was running primals on their bonus window for relic lights. The fun part is the instance server is probably doing just fine, running on 20% load. Hundreds of empty garuda HM, coil, cape westwind instances, and a dozen instances for the MSQ that everyone is fighting over.

Unless I'm talking out of my rear end here, but I think that's how the infrastructure is set up.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

strong bird posted:

It doesn't, so no.

There's a bunch of poo poo you could be doing while the MSQ bottleneck is sorted. Maybe try out one of those new fangled Jobs? Try out totally revamped PvP.

I don't really find myself lacking for options as I shrug and wait for things to get unfucked.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

A thing of beauty

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Is it just me, or is PLD suddenly a mage killer in frontlines? Holy spirit causing 2 seconds of silence is hilarious.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Weissritter posted:

Is it just me, or is PLD suddenly a mage killer in frontlines? Holy spirit causing 2 seconds of silence is hilarious.

Yeah PLD's day of reckoning has come. I've gotten dunked by them a few times when I was playing summoner.

RDM, on the other hand, is a murder machine. Yeah burst a dude with dualcast! Then jump onto the caster when your melee dps gets em low and unleash the redoublement and verflare to blow poo poo up. It lacks disables, but it's straight killer for target switching thanks to dualcast.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hah, I hadn't even thought about the implications of Dualcast in PvP. RDM's got to be an absolute burst machine.

Ocatamai
Jun 18, 2004

Perfect and Elegant Maid
Maybe releasing your hot new game on a Friday is not the best of ideas.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Minrad posted:

Yeah PLD's day of reckoning has come. I've gotten dunked by them a few times when I was playing summoner.

RDM, on the other hand, is a murder machine. Yeah burst a dude with dualcast! Then jump onto the caster when your melee dps gets em low and unleash the redoublement and verflare to blow poo poo up. It lacks disables, but it's straight killer for target switching thanks to dualcast.

actually you'll find what happens is the rdm dies to me jumping on them twice and then LBing them

it's Very Cool and Good

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Weissritter posted:

It's not just PLD. DRK has healing reduction on a combo, a silence, and a stun.

Tanks are basically FuckHealersAndMages.exe

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

actually you'll find what happens is the rdm dies to me jumping on them twice and then LBing them

it's Very Cool and Good

are you a samurai, because samurai doesn't have to limit break to do limit break damage to my white mage :mrwhite:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Man, who has a launcher that can't resume download on disconnection?

And loses progress. Amazing.

At least I'm not missing out on any progress in the MSQ.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ocatamai posted:

Maybe releasing your hot new game on a Friday is not the best of ideas.

Technically we're still in "early access" and not strictly "released," but, well, that's a technicality at best. And it's not like this is the first time SE has had trouble with an FFXIV early access period.

Ocatamai
Jun 18, 2004

Perfect and Elegant Maid

Harrow posted:

Technically we're still in "early access" and not strictly "released," but, well, that's a technicality at best. And it's not like this is the first time SE has had trouble with an FFXIV early access period.

I've been watching player search on Exodus to see how many people are getting into the new zones and about 7 players per hour average.

Which is to say that number currently stands at 59.

Ocatamai fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 16, 2017

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Harrow posted:

Yeah, there was that one long period a couple years before 2.0 was released.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

Yeah, there was that one long period a couple years before 2.0 was released.

:pusheen:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

drat, the code Amazon sent me was for some promotional items, and it's expired. Annoying. I guess I'll have to contact them again and see if I can still get a EA code sent my way.

Edit: Nope, looks like they just directed me to the wrong website. I found the right link on the main FFXIV site and it worked.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

super sweet best pal posted: