Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
If there's one thing I've learned from repeated failures in this game, it's that you need to expand early and fast. Colonize Anreya II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Anias posted:

There's a right answer (Private colony ships and massive expanding) and a goon answer, and if you search your feelings you'll know.

Watch out for Hyperwave Broadcasters.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Achieve Spiders

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Colonize Anreya II then move the empires capital there if you can. Never tried it myself, but that precursor ruin will be amazing.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
Never played this before but the people who know what they are doing seems to be of the opinion that we should colonize Anreya II.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Spiders for the spiders god!

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Anreya II has 15 votes, Spider world has 11. Anreya II will be colonized as soon as the resources are available.

Update soon.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What kind of investment would Spider World even need, anyhow?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Glazius posted:

Nuking it from orbit. It's the only way to make sure.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Glazius posted:

Once a colony ship reaches a planet, there's a period of time where the colony is being set up. During this setup period the planet produces nothing and costs a hefty chunk of energy every turn. I believe the number is something like -8 energy. Since we're only at 3 energy profit per turn, we're spending our reserves setting up the planet, and we don't have enough reserves to set up two at once, or in close succession.

Basically our cash reserves dictate that we're at a hard decision on which world to invest in first, and the precursor capital is the superior option in every category except comedy value.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Mzbundifund posted:

Once a colony ship reaches a planet, there's a period of time where the colony is being set up. During this setup period the planet produces nothing and costs a hefty chunk of energy every turn. I believe the number is something like -8 energy. Since we're only at 3 energy profit per turn, we're spending our reserves setting up the planet, and we don't have enough reserves to set up two at once, or in close succession.

Basically our cash reserves dictate that we're at a hard decision on which world to invest in first, and the precursor capital is the superior option in every category except comedy value.

To be fair, Comedy Value is the most important metric of all

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Glazius posted:

Besides whatever a normal colony would need, there are some very special tile blockers to clear and the moral hurdle of sending imaginary video game people to a spider-infested hellhole.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Also I missed this before:

double nine posted:

Are you saying that the modifiers show up too much or that they show up on places that are unreachable? Or both?

The latter. You'll find cool stuff on asteroids and molten worlds and busted ringworld sections. So you get this pop-up like "Wow, check out this awesome discovery we can interact with!" and it's on some frozen world I will never colonize and provides 0 benefit. This happens a lot, seemingly, because the chance for these rare modifiers isn't restricted to rolling on habitable worlds.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

2208.01.29 - 2210.04.01

His work on exoskeletons complete, Dr. Batista decides to set his workgroup on working on better propulsion methods. Dr. de la Cruz decides to put the information gathered by Dr. Zhivenkov on stellar fusion to good use.

Dr. Dietrich finds an interesting planet in the Stesoios system. In his report back to Earth, he writes "To the outsider, it seems like these... lifelike robots... are engaging in... sexual intercourse? I shudder to think what would happen if the Turexmians claim this planet!" (Stesoios IId is a viable candidate for terraforming. The modifier discovered gives +20% happiness. It's also in the space between the UN and the Turexmians.)

There are reports that the UN's food supplies, once in surplus, are being slowly diminished by the settling of Gaia's Landing. There is potentially arable land on the planet, but it's heavily forested.

In the early months of 2209, there are reports of attacks on civilian traffic. The survivors of these raids say that the name given before the attacks was the "Black Flotilla." The Anaconda fleet is recalled to Earth to begin arming for anti-piracy operations.

A fourth alien empire has been made contact with. This time, xenolinguists have translated the language of the Blessed Parid Alliance. The response to the UN's standardized greeting was best described by one news agency as "composed of fire and brimstone, heavily seasoned with several insults."

A pirate fleet appears on sensor range. The leader of the fleet is identified as Krishna Potti, a fugitive wanted on several counts of murder and theft of UN research secrets by Interpol. His fleet destroys a mining station in the Sirius system.

A colony ship is commissioned to colonize Anreya II, which is given the temporary name Terra Nova.

Dr. Zhivenkov discovers a strange temple on the planet Chakjab.

On the first day of 2210, the UN enters election season. Four months later, President Muwanga wins re-election.

After the election, the General Assembly begins debate on what legislation to adopt next.

GENERAL ASSEMBLY
For this, we'll stay within Expansion. Should we adopt:
  • Courier Network, which decreases the effect on Tradition Costs caused by number of planets by 33%;
  • A New Life, which increases Pop growth speed by 10% and colony development speed by 50%; or
  • Reach for the Stars, which will treat costs for new Frontier Outposts and colonies as if they were only half the distance away?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
A New Life.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

A New Life, waiting for pops to grow annoys me :argh:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Danny Glands posted:

A fourth alien empire has been made contact with. This time, xenolinguists have translated the language of the Blessed Parid Alliance. The response to the UN's standardized greeting was best described by one news agency as "composed of fire and brimstone, heavily seasoned with several insults."

We lucked out here - if their ethos was fanatic xenophobe/spiritualist instead of xenophobe/fanatic spiritualist, this species would be Fanatic Purifiers, which would be... uh, bad to have as early neighbors.

For those who haven't played this and want to know: Fanatic Purifiers have a -1000 diplomacy malus with everybody and are incapable of diplomacy with aliens beyond temporary truces and war. They're pretty much guaranteed to always be at war with somebody and get a bunch of ship/army bonuses to help them with that, including an additional tier of orbital bombardment that nobody else even has access to.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
A New Life

We should also rival our evangelizing zealot neighbors -- they will likely not be friends with anyone bar us and others will be nicer to us since we rivaled them. And it'll give us some influence to boot.

alcaras fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 15, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

President Ark posted:

We lucked out here - if their ethos was fanatic xenophobe/spiritualist instead of xenophobe/fanatic spiritualist, this species would be Fanatic Purifiers, which would be... uh, bad to have as early neighbors.

For those who haven't played this and want to know: Fanatic Purifiers have a -1000 diplomacy malus with everybody and are incapable of diplomacy with aliens beyond temporary truces and war. They're pretty much guaranteed to always be at war with somebody and get a bunch of ship/army bonuses to help them with that, including an additional tier of orbital bombardment that nobody else even has access to.

I read the Stellaris thread, and my understanding is that all that Fanatic Purifier stuff was only added recently... because players wanted to be Fanatic Purifiers themselves. That thread kinda unnerves me with just how popular going maximum hitler and doing horrible, horrible things seems to be.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you want to be disturbed, one of the most heavily-advertised expansion features was the ability to convert alien pops into food. :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Courier Network sounds useful if we're planning to go far and wide.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Courier Network

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Sindai posted:

If you want to be disturbed, one of the most heavily-advertised expansion features was the ability to convert alien pops into food. :v:

Better yet, you can genetically modify your slave species to have the "Delicious" trait, which doubles the amount of food you get from using them as livestock. Meat is people, yet tasty and nutritious! :v:

The Fanatic Purifier AI personality was in the game since release, and you tended to have a couple in every game. They tended to get themselves killed, so players of course wanted to show how to properly purge the galaxy. Utopia just added an explicit societal civic, also called Fanatic Purifiers, that explicitly forbids diplomacy even for player empires that pick it. They also get a bunch of bonuses to make up for the loss of diplomacy, and to make AI purifiers more of a threat.

There's actually an even more aggressive AI personality than Fanatic Purifier: Metalhead, which is only assigned to Militarist Authoritarian Xenophobes with the Strong and Industrious traits. Metalheads also have no diplomacy and a -1000 opinion malus with everyone else. Metalheads have a 10x multiplier on their empire aggressiveness and bravery and will declare preposterous wars against anyone and everyone. They're also cool with robots, because robots are metal. Fanatical Purifiers are more aggressive than normal, but not nearly as much and they go for wars they can win.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 15, 2017

Baron-of-hell
Jul 11, 2016

Cythereal posted:

I read the Stellaris thread, and my understanding is that all that Fanatic Purifier stuff was only added recently... because players wanted to be Fanatic Purifiers themselves. That thread kinda unnerves me with just how popular going maximum hitler and doing horrible, horrible things seems to be.

Who doesn't want to be a cartoon villain and try to be as evil as possible? An appropriate amount of cackling might be involved.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
The faster our colonies grow, the sooner they're a net positive on our economy, fuelling further expansion. Let's encourage our people to find a new life in the colonies.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
A New Life allows all our planets to increase in pops more quickly, and it allows us to get Colonies out of the way much faster. I see no faults in this!

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
New Lives are the best kind.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Get that snowball rollin' with New Lives and perhaps a frontier clinic.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
To seek out New Life and new civilizations.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Cythereal posted:

Maximum hitler turns out to be a winning strategy in most paradox games.

New Life and rival the unlikables.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

A New Life

EDIT:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 15, 2017

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
A New Life

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Oh yeah. I'll put up a map of the explored (so far) galaxy soon.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I will also vote for A New Life - our position in the galaxy, with more neighbors discovered by the year, implies that we need the ability to colonize rapidly and effectively. A humankind relegated to two or three systems is likely to be a humankind in thrall to another stellar power, or worse.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Cythereal posted:

I'd say something like 90% of the things people do with Paradox games is ride the evil curve as far as they can. Hell, look at the Crusader Kings II and Stellaris thread titles here. I know they added sub-Reddits for both games just to handle all the things said about the games that are just terrible out of context like "slavery is pretty nifty". Still think my favorite Stellaris horror story is the guy who captured several planets from one species and wanted to kill off their pops. He turned on that "turn alien pops into food" thing mentioned earlier, but his people were robotic life forms at that point who didn't eat food. But food is something you can export, so he promptly turned around and made a food trade pact with the race he took the worlds from, thus selling them their own people back as food. See here for details, my favorite reply was "Somewhere in the galaxy a future Space Hague just spontaneously appeared and they don't know why... yet".

As for the thread, agree with telling people A New Life awaits them in the offworld colonies.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Here's our galaxy map so far:

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

MadDogMike posted:

I'd say something like 90% of the things people do with Paradox games is ride the evil curve as far as they can. Hell, look at the Crusader Kings II and Stellaris thread titles here. I know they added sub-Reddits for both games just to handle all the things said about the games that are just terrible out of context like "slavery is pretty nifty". Still think my favorite Stellaris horror story is the guy who captured several planets from one species and wanted to kill off their pops. He turned on that "turn alien pops into food" thing mentioned earlier, but his people were robotic life forms at that point who didn't eat food. But food is something you can export, so he promptly turned around and made a food trade pact with the race he took the worlds from, thus selling them their own people back as food. See here for details, my favorite reply was "Somewhere in the galaxy a future Space Hague just spontaneously appeared and they don't know why... yet".

As for the thread, agree with telling people A New Life awaits them in the offworld colonies.

We definitely integrated and then gave away all of a vassal's worlds (They wanted slaves, we didn't have any and they were causing empire unhappiness as a result) to another vassal that was perfectly content to be our vassal and just had this one small problem of eating their new slave loving drone pops because they were a hive mind....

Not my finest hour, but our not so good guys won that game.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Those Turmexians are going to be annoying.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Trivia posted:

Those Turmexians are going to be a minor historical footnote.

This close, this antithetical, it will not persist for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Danny Glands posted:

Here's our galaxy map so far:

The next 25-30 years should be devoted to geo-galactic containment of the Turmexians followed by vassalization :black101:

• Locked thread