Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Covok posted:

I guess it's worth bringing up that I'm an Eagle Scout.

Can we be end-times friends? I'm tall, I can help loot the top shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
On an unrelated note, if the Kaltorrans have the genetic memory of all their ancestors up to the point their conceived, doesn't that mean they all have first-hand experiential knowledge of how their parent's hosed? And how their parent's parents on both sides hosed? And so on and so forth?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

It's a great system, probably the best of the early efforts at "D&D, but better" and it still holds up.

RQ 2E (1980): The printing of 1E sold out so they printed up another batch, with errata and additional material in the appendices. This was the big hit that everyone remembers from the early 1980s.

I read my PDF copy of RQ 2e on an interminable flight some months back, and it really struck me how well-written and easily understandable it was, even from a "first-time" perspective. I'm thinking of getting a paper copy now.

I think it's also super-cool how this new 2017 version of RQ has cover art that's a direct call-back to the classics.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Covok posted:

Oh, you misunderstand. I totally get why they have that tech, but I'm saying "how much does it gently caress them up to have all tech but not earn it?" Like, humanity has earned all its technology. We forged in the fires of scientific creation as our species evolved and our society rose and fell. They just inheritied it all. Imagine if a species was just made and, suddenly, they have laser beams and space travel. Like, humans slowly earned all that tech and have some basis of how to use/make primitive tech because, well, we made it. They never did that part. They just inheririted it all. When the 100 years of darkness came, did they even know what a shovel was? They've only ever known hypertech and never used/created/seen primitive tech, mostly likely.
Well, that detachment might not be uniform across all people, and might have depended on their position in society, so the difference between different groups in how "close to the metal" they lived and worked would make a difference.

Like in Fragged Empire, the Corporation has probably inherited the most cutting-edge technological base from the Archons, but with the least knowledge of the underlying structures. The Legion were probably expected to be fairly self-sufficient in handling their engineering.

Many Kaltorans were forced to take refuge in huge underwater warrens and like hunt rats with pointed sticks, and they had to rely on basically old-fashioned guns with ammo dunked in industrial waste to give them an edge, rather than fancy particle beam weapons. They'd be the ones who take the least for granted and understand the technology they use the best.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

The Legion were probably expected to be fairly self-sufficient in handling their engineering.
Not really; they were expected to fight and be given supplies by the Archons. They pretty much had to figure out poo poo like how to grow food on their own until they ran across the other races.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Per the short story, humanity itself had lost historical capabilities:

quote:

“But humanity became stale. They stopped learning, advancing, travelling, or growing.”
“Thass what happenz when you stop fightin for life.”
“Evidently...” While Gregory’s idea of healthy conflict was far less physical than his friend’s, he did agree. “... Leading to their genetic erosion, and a breakdown in their biological diversity. They died in the billions to disease, famine, and birth defects, troubles they had forgotten how to fight. Out of desperation, they created the Archons...”

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it's also super-cool how this new 2017 version of RQ has cover art that's a direct call-back to the classics.

There's a pretty good montage that I can't find at the moment (phone posting) that goes through all the versions of RQ that have homages to that cover. It's funny to see the woman go from wearing basically a chain mail bikini to something way more tolerable over time.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

There's a pretty good montage that I can't find at the moment (phone posting) that goes through all the versions of RQ that have homages to that cover. It's funny to see the woman go from wearing basically a chain mail bikini to something way more tolerable over time.

Chaosium's 1st and second edition cover is actually really good armor wise on the cover warrior for the genre. It's Games Workshop's version of the cover that puts her in a bikini. Inside of the book is the same, just has a bikini mail cover.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I think this thread still has some un-layered armor in it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGdhaM785sY

"A lot of interesting things I haven't seen in other fantasy role playing games. I look forward to trying it again."

"Lore was…good, uh…"

"I don't think I've every played something before that was four feet tall that wasn't a dwarf…:shrug:"

The ad copy on their DTRPG product page still says, among other things, "RGP gaming." It's currently a Silver seller.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Covok posted:

Right, but we all are vaguely aware of that tech. We may not know how to do it ourselves, but we know we did it once.

We only know it from painstaking archaeological reconstruction and there's a great deal that we not only don't know what happened when, but a great many things that were invented that we don't even properly know how they worked other than description in passing. I think you're underselling the massive undertaking that is recorded history.

Covok posted:

On an unrelated note, if the Kaltorrans have the genetic memory of all their ancestors up to the point their conceived, doesn't that mean they all have first-hand experiential knowledge of how their parent's hosed? And how their parent's parents on both sides hosed? And so on and so forth?

Presumably they'd have less hang ups about that specific thing!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Covok posted:

"Some idiot near my mother's home town once found and activated a bolo. By the time she put it down half the the town had been wiped away. Like it had never existed. Her left arm went with it. She got it replaced of course, but that moment when she looked down and realised that part of her was just... gone... that stayed with her until the day she died. As it will stay with me, and my children, and my children's children."
"...omg wait does that mean know what your dad's dingaling feels like??? :newlol:"

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Covok posted:

Now I'm wondering if it technically should be a couple months before fertilization, on the male side, depending on how long ago the gametes underwent meiosis, and shortly before birth, on the female side. Of course, this is only assuming the gametes don't undergo further changes after meiosis.
:eng101: Maybe it's actually epigenetic memory!

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I nearly went insane reading this:

http://blog.flashbackrpg.com/post/161634908806/design-diary-2

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Rockopolis posted:

Now I'm wondering if it technically should be a couple months before fertilization, on the male side, depending on how long ago the gametes underwent meiosis, and shortly before birth, on the female side. Of course, this is only assuming the gametes don't undergo further changes after meiosis.
:eng101: Maybe it's actually epigenetic memory!

It'd have to be epigenetic memory to be of any use, it's not like your genetic code undergoes significant changes as you age.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Kwyndig posted:

It'd have to be epigenetic memory to be of any use, it's not like your genetic code undergoes significant changes as you age.
Good point.
Now that would be an interesting genetically engineered species. Large genome, extreme epigenetics, gross physical changes in response to environmental factors.
Would it be more interesting if the individual underwent the changes, or if it was only passed down to successive offspring? Might be cool to have a real generational gap. Very Lamarackian.

Also I played MGS V recently so it's "copulating".

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 17, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Everyone knows Bronzong is Steel type but not everyone knows if they should use Earthquake or Flamethrower against it (Heatproof and Levitate)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the solution to bronzong being that everyone just uses water attacks on it because water attacks work on 95% of everything anyway

that skeleton scenario sounds tedious as poo poo. without any clues it's just a random guessing game to figure out the GM's moon logic.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I am truly shocked that a tabletop game designer was able to suss out that trivially solvable problems are bad, but not that trivially solvable problems obscured by a layer of randomness and guessing are equally bad if not worse.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Anyone going out for Free RPG day? I'm gonna try to grab the Runequest quickstart, maybe the Dungeon Crawl Classics adventure.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

"The obvious answer to rock-paper-scissors being boring and unfun is to make a system that's just as boring, just as unfun, but also needlessly complicated. But caster supremacy wins out anyway."

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I got really excited when it mentioned respawning monsters that will stop respawning under a certain criteria.

And then really sad when it turned out that criteria was specific damage type. C'mon!

I still think one of the best encounters I ran was with constructs that respawned until the sudoku grid was opened, and each sector of the sudoku grid gave an effect based on it's relative position to the Great Ring (or alignment chart, but I don't use alignment so in-game it's just a model of the multiverse.)

Edit: wasn't one of you goons that was talking about a Sudoku fight? If so, thanks!

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 17, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Anyone going out for Free RPG day? I'm gonna try to grab the Runequest quickstart, maybe the Dungeon Crawl Classics adventure.

I am. I'm running Torg and 13th Age if anyone shows up

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I read my PDF copy of RQ 2e on an interminable flight some months back, and it really struck me how well-written and easily understandable it was, even from a "first-time" perspective. I'm thinking of getting a paper copy now.

I read RQ2 for the first time a few years back and yeah, technical-writing wise it's aged very well, especially compared to its contemporaries.

Reading RuneQuest also made me understand Call of Cthulhu a lot better; there's all kinds of weird redundancies and "why is there even a stat for this" that only make sense when you realize it is literally some house rules stapled onto a base game about Bronze Age combat.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Splicer posted:

"Some idiot near my mother's home town once found and activated a bolo. By the time she put it down half the the town had been wiped away. Like it had never existed. Her left arm went with it. She got it replaced of course, but that moment when she looked down and realised that part of her was just... gone... that stayed with her until the day she died. As it will stay with me, and my children, and my children's children."
"...omg wait does that mean know what your dad's dingaling feels like??? :newlol:"

To be frank, knowing how my Dad dick feels would gently caress me up more. You got to remember the instictinaul psycological revulsion again incest in humans.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

To be frank, knowing how my Dad dick feels would gently caress me up more. You got to remember the instictinaul psycological revulsion again incest in humans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O3dAz2j1cg

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

Covok posted:

Hell, not me.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
Imagine if every fight boiled down to "asinine tomfoolery trial-and-error until the GM says you killed the thing according to his own nebulous judgement and criteria".

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

It's like brute forcing a point and click adventure game by grinding every item in your inventory against the door you're trying to get through. And by ensuring that the solution is hidden knowledge, you remove the ability of the players to not brute force it.

Even if you design things to ensure the PCs always have the solution somewhere in their inventory, having them engage in a bunch of trial-and-error until they meet your arbitrary criteria is not fun.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Covok posted:

I, too, am more terrified by the concept that my parents had sex than by hearing about major traumas in my family history that fundamentally shaped or destroyed my loved ones' views of the world

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"Uh, hi? Yeah, sorry, Carl, I'm calling in sick. I thought about my dad having a weiner and I'm shattered to my core. ... Oh, geez, I'm sorry, Carl. I mean, yeah, your dad presumably also has a weiner, but... oh god I've spread the contagion"

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 17, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

I'm reminded of an old magazine adventure for a horror game where there was this immortal trying to get the PC's help with finding a way to die, and it turns out the only way was to drown him in a specific brand of perfume. How do you find this out?

:iiam:

But yes, all that does for a game is add a tiresome "testing phase" where you try every common weakness on a foe until you hit on the right one, draw your platinum blades or diamond arrows or whatever, and go to town. I mean, the usual reason to have a weakness in mythology is either to demonstrate a hero's cunning or at least why they succeed where others failed. "And then he tests which one of the six swords hurt the foozit." is not a common thing you find in stories for a reason. The Awful Green Things From Outer Space is a fun game but it's not a everyday meal.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just looked up Free RPG Day retailers near me and the closest is an hour drive. Fuckin' Ohio.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm reminded of an old magazine adventure for a horror game where there was this immortal trying to get the PC's help with finding a way to die, and it turns out the only way was to drown him in a specific brand of perfume. How do you find this out?

:iiam:

But yes, all that does for a game is add a tiresome "testing phase" where you try every common weakness on a foe until you hit on the right one, draw your platinum blades or diamond arrows or whatever, and go to town. I mean, the usual reason to have a weakness in mythology is either to demonstrate a hero's cunning or at least why they succeed where others failed. "And then he tests which one of the six swords hurt the foozit." is not a common thing you find in stories for a reason. The Awful Green Things From Outer Space is a fun game but it's not a everyday meal.
I've said this before, but good puzzle construction is:
1) Have a solution thought out so you know it's not literally impossible.
2) Discard your solution if (usually when) your players come up with their own, superior solution.
3) Note down how they solved the puzzle for later plot shenanigans.

The advanced version is going with their second solution, ideally but not necessarily by "Yes, but..."-ing their first attempt. Whether they address the "but" or try an entirely different approach, round 2 should do it unless you have a very good reason.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 17, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Len posted:

I just looked up Free RPG Day retailers near me and the closest is an hour drive. Fuckin' Ohio.

That sucks. I'd have assumed the big cities would have participating stores, but if you're out in the sticks...

How's Free RPG Day treating people in general? I snagged the Pelgrane sampler and RQ quickstart and, uh, frowned at Raggi's contribution.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I went to my store and apparently, if you weren't in line an hour before the store opened you didn't get anything.

Hopefully the stuff I wanted to look at will be out in PDF.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Antivehicular posted:

That sucks. I'd have assumed the big cities would have participating stores, but if you're out in the sticks...

How's Free RPG Day treating people in general? I snagged the Pelgrane sampler and RQ quickstart and, uh, frowned at Raggi's contribution.

Pretty much the only shops in my area are MTG or Warham based. There used to be one with a good boardgame selection but he was cash only and recently changed his hours to "by appointment" the RPG scene is dead as far as I can tell. If it isn't Pathfinder or 3.5 you can't find it at Books A Million

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I grabbed the DCC and Starfinder booklets. Reading the Starfinder one now, monsters and NPCs aren't made using the same rules as PCs. There's a few new mechanics but overall it looks like more of the same. There are also no pregen characters or adventure its just monster stats and some seeing info.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

LongDarkNight posted:

I grabbed the DCC and Starfinder booklets. Reading the Starfinder one now, monsters and NPCs aren't made using the same rules as PCs. There's a few new mechanics but overall it looks like more of the same. There are also no pregen characters or adventure its just monster stats and some seeing info.

They couldn't bother to release an adventure? Man that's terrible, even for Paizo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The Free RPG Day boxes are relatively small from what I can tell and don't have more than fifteen of any one item, generally less. If the store has any real attendance, it's rough to get anything reasonably popular.

• Locked thread