Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

My conclusion is hardly wrong when your basing your rebuttal on players that can practice optimally. I'm talking about everyone else.

So what you're saying is people can play this game passively and they won't have a fun time when they do? Shocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

My conclusion is hardly wrong when your basing your rebuttal on players that can practice optimally. I'm talking about everyone else.

Holster then unholster.

We need to request a training mode so we can learn the best 3rd person abuse tricks and then we can be as good as any of those streamers who have custom servers and practice all day long.
Down with the bourgeoise!

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Maluco Marinero posted:

So what you're saying is people can play this game passively and they won't have a fun time when they do? Shocking.

I'm saying that this game rewards 3rd person camera too much. The advantage defenders have is ridiculous and turns this game into a campfest.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

I've always had pretty good chances just rushing into a room and spraying to the side I know a guy is on, even if he was just sitting there looking at the doorway. Maybe stop playing like a pussy?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Cook a grenade and put it away and w+m1. See you suckers on the other side

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
I wish there was a personal server/training mode.

So I could practice driving motorcycles like a madman. It's hard enough even finding one.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

I'm saying that this game rewards 3rd person camera too much. The advantage defenders have is ridiculous and turns this game into a campfest.

Are you okay dude?

You're once again bitching about the lack of a feature for which it is only a matter a time before it is (widely) implemented. Early Access games get a bad rep and rightfully so, but PUBG is doing extraordinarily well in pretty much all of the areas other EA games suck. You seem to just be complaining for the sake of it at this point.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Parallel Playa posted:

Are you okay dude?

You're once again bitching about the lack of a feature for which it is only a matter a time before it is (widely) implemented. Early Access games get a bad rep and rightfully so, but PUBG is doing extraordinarily well in pretty much all of the areas other EA games suck. You seem to just be complaining for the sake of it at this point.

Yes, dude, I'm fine. Sorry for discussing a video game on a video game sub-forum on an internet forum for discussion, lol.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I wish this game had some kind of mechanic to force campers out. Like some kind of electric field that did damage and slowly closed in, or maybe a throwable object that would cause them damage if they were close to it.

Oh well.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Great Beer posted:

I wish this game had some kind of mechanic to force campers out. Like some kind of electric field that did damage and slowly closed in, or maybe a throwable object that would cause them damage if they were close to it.

Oh well.

It's a good thing you're on a discussion forum then, where we can discuss such things! :)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I despise the third person in this third person camera game.

I also hate how I have to play cards in Hearthstone, and that I can't get out of the car in Forza.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is it possible to interrupt the reload on the pump shotgun (or revolver I guess) part way to fight?

switch weapons

holster/unholster

press fire (seriously)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i still feel like once in about every 20 rounds i'll have a round where i land and no items will be on the ground until i've been running around like an idiot for at least 90 seconds, sometimes 2 mins

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

BraveUlysses posted:

i still feel like once in about every 20 rounds i'll have a round where i land and no items will be on the ground until i've been running around like an idiot for at least 90 seconds, sometimes 2 mins

it happens

once i cleared an entire 3 storey school apartment and came out without even a pistol

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Man I don't know what's been going on lately in solo's but it feels like I can't catch a break. My shooting has gotten way better and I'm reliably hitting guys a ton but they just never seem to die anymore, I don't know what the gently caress. I hit one guy three times earler with an M16 - he had no armor so I guess one of my shots must of hit his arm or whatever? And then in the next game, 8 left, I shot someone twice with an M24 and they were fine (I had to move so I didn't get to see if someone else killed them after).

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

How loud is snow?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I just killed a dude with a pistol at the start that had a scar. I don't even know what this means. Feed me some more anecdotes.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
PAN IS LIFE

http://plays.tv/video/5944c02e04978ad3dc/initiate-rasputin-emulation

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

I just killed a dude with a pistol at the start that had a scar. I don't even know what this means. Feed me some more anecdotes.

Maybe he didn't have any ammo or hadn't had a chance to load it yet?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

cosmicjim posted:

It means any weapon can get the drop on anyone, given the right circumstances. Positioning and awareness is as important as loadout early on. No one has much in the way of meds or armour unless they have armour, so while of course it would be nice to have a great weapon, any old thing can do the job if you get the initiative.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

cosmicjim posted:

I once had an early AK in the school, spied a guy in a room loading a pistol so i barge in at full auto, completely wiff and get headshotted. I then calmly exited PUBG, shut down my computer and retired for the evening

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Just made top 2, got killed by a sniper. But ran over some guy with a buggy.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Finally bought this today after seeing my friends play it a bunch and rave about it. I'm way more impressed than I thought I would be. It's still got some of the control jankiness that Arma has, but not to nearly the same level, and having a PvP-DayZ style game with a set end point instead of wandering around for an hour before getting domed by a sniper in a barn makes it way more enjoyable! This is a good game, friends!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Just for fun I took a look at SteamDB and compared PUBG to DayZ. Since release PUBG sold roughly the same amount of copies DayZ did (in less than 1/20ths of the time), meaning that BlueHole are likely looking at 100m+ profits by this point, not bad for a game that was likely made for less than half a million.

PUBG also boasts an impressive 220k peak concurrent players in the past 24 hours, which is more than 4 times as much as DayZ all time peak of 45k which occurred three years ago (7k peak today).

Not much point to any of this but I think it's safe to say PUBG is now the name-to-beat; BI sure made some regrettable decisions when they decided to let two developers who were seeking to make an "anti-game" lead DayZ production. Let's go tanning leather and picking berries.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

1st person only servers can't come fast enough. I think most people have learned now that corner/hill peeking is the undisputed best strategy and it sucks rear end.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Odobenidae posted:

1st person only servers can't come fast enough. I think most people have learned now that corner/hill peeking is the undisputed best strategy and it sucks rear end.

Friend, I think you are playing the wrong game, hth.

Isles of Nyne is a PUBG style game in FPS, it doesn't quite pull off the big terrain thing as well. I'm hoping their VR expansion pays off

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

abigserve posted:

Man I don't know what's been going on lately in solo's but it feels like I can't catch a break. My shooting has gotten way better and I'm reliably hitting guys a ton but they just never seem to die anymore, I don't know what the gently caress. I hit one guy three times earler with an M16 - he had no armor so I guess one of my shots must of hit his arm or whatever? And then in the next game, 8 left, I shot someone twice with an M24 and they were fine (I had to move so I didn't get to see if someone else killed them after).
On the PUBG forums, there's plenty of complaints that the hit registration isn't entirely up to snuff, and there aren't much opinions to the contrary, so there might be something to it.

Also, armor and poo poo. Not sure how much it's supposed to protect, but I got a drop on a guy once with a gloriously upgraded M16 and he didn't die in 8 shots, despite the game showing blood, so eh :shobon:

I think what makes me rage about it isn't that I'm losing, but how long it takes the game to get ready to join another round.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Just for fun I took a look at SteamDB and compared PUBG to DayZ. Since release PUBG sold roughly the same amount of copies DayZ did (in less than 1/20ths of the time), meaning that BlueHole are likely looking at 100m+ profits by this point, not bad for a game that was likely made for less than half a million.

PUBG also boasts an impressive 220k peak concurrent players in the past 24 hours, which is more than 4 times as much as DayZ all time peak of 45k which occurred three years ago (7k peak today).

Not much point to any of this but I think it's safe to say PUBG is now the name-to-beat; BI sure made some regrettable decisions when they decided to let two developers who were seeking to make an "anti-game" lead DayZ production. Let's go tanning leather and picking berries.

Yea, but then you have to consider how many copies of Arma 2 that DayZ is responsible for to determine DayZ's true legacy.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I wonder how much that'll drop over the early access period. If they wanted to exploit those huge numbers, they'd be churning out a lot of customization options right now and sell them for real money, or sell BPs to you.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I really need to get better at long distance shots in this game. I just went up against a guy who destroyed me from about 400 meters. I got the drop on him but couldn't hit him. Then he somehow picks me off while running away through bush and behind buildings. I thought I was safe behind cover yet he still took me out. What the hell....

I really need a mod where you have bots just running, standing, crouching, laying down all over the place so that you can practice taking shots with guns at different distances.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

VulgarandStupid posted:

Yea, but then you have to consider how many copies of Arma 2 that DayZ is responsible for to determine DayZ's true legacy.

Oh there's no doubt that DayZ made BI a whole bunch of money and pretty much popularized or even invented a new genre, DayZ was a huge thing.

My perspective, as someone who adored DayZ initially and ultimately found standalone unplayable, is that it's a crying shame that the executives at BI didn't read the map correctly and failed to notice that Rocket and Hicks have accidently stumbled upon an ultra-awesome formula that needed to be distilled and that this formula had nothing to do with Rocket's original vision, I believe that numbers from SteamDB support this outlook.

On the other hand it really looks like BI decided to let Rocket and Hicks do their thing without really committing BI fully to the whole survival rogue-lite genre, so they will come out of it richer and with a modernized engine, but they really dropped the ball when it came to staying the top dogs in this genre and making sure that DayZ remains a successful frenchise over the years to come.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hamelekim posted:

I really need to get better at long distance shots in this game. I just went up against a guy who destroyed me from about 400 meters. I got the drop on him but couldn't hit him. Then he somehow picks me off while running away through bush and behind buildings. I thought I was safe behind cover yet he still took me out. What the hell....
Don't sweat it. Apparently there's practically no bullet drop, per their own admission, and that's going to change.

Hamelekim posted:

I really need a mod where you have bots just running, standing, crouching, laying down all over the place so that you can practice taking shots with guns at different distances.
That'd be nice, and apparently some training map is coming per their devs. I certainly could use it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Combat Pretzel posted:

That'd be nice, and apparently some training map is coming per their devs. I certainly could use it.

Just get a custom server and have your twitch followers run around.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Combat Pretzel posted:

Don't sweat it. Apparently there's practically no bullet drop, per their own admission, and that's going to change.

there's definitely bullet drop, you can see it mostly clearly with the VSS but it's there for everything

plus with zeroing you can get some weird situation where you bullet ends up ABOVE where you're aiming (like if you're zeroing at 100m, the bullet travels in an upward trajectory and is at the height of your sight at exactly 100m but then goes above your sight for a bit and finally falls back down)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm just repeating what was posted on a dev blog/stream. As I've said, there's some, but apparently deemed unrealistic. There was something about adding bullet drag, which would make the drop more dramatic.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
yeah but how long ago was that? there's been a lot of patches. the VSS already has insane bullet drop.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm just repeating what was posted on a dev blog/stream. As I've said, there's some, but apparently deemed unrealistic. There was something about adding bullet drag, which would make the drop more dramatic.

There is a ton of bullet drop but only after 200-300 meters, that info is very outdated

4x scope with a rifle under 400m is pretty much the easiest long distance shots you'll get and you should with a little experimentation figure out how to lead people. Just start shooting ahead of them and very slightly above and walk it in.

What I'm trying to say is don't be scared and not use your gun, shoot once or twice and they'll have a hard time locating you. Or use a clip and relocate. The kills will start coming if you let them

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Combat Pretzel posted:

On the PUBG forums, there's plenty of complaints that the hit registration isn't entirely up to snuff, and there aren't much opinions to the contrary, so there might be something to it.

Also, armor and poo poo. Not sure how much it's supposed to protect, but I got a drop on a guy once with a gloriously upgraded M16 and he didn't die in 8 shots, despite the game showing blood, so eh :shobon:

I think what makes me rage about it isn't that I'm losing, but how long it takes the game to get ready to join another round.

Honestly I think it's shots into limbs because if you get shot in the foot it does like no damage. But there is no feedback after you die to say that you've done that and it can be super frustrating. That m24 one was the absolute worst, there was no lag/desync possible, both shots were dead into him where he was virtually stationary.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

abigserve posted:

Honestly I think it's shots into limbs because if you get shot in the foot it does like no damage. But there is no feedback after you die to say that you've done that and it can be super frustrating. That m24 one was the absolute worst, there was no lag/desync possible, both shots were dead into him where he was virtually stationary.

I had a good one where I thought I had two direct hits into a guys chest with the pump but when I watched my replay several of the first shots pellets missed from point blank and hit behind him, the second shot hit both his arms blocking his chest as he turned to face me.

Don't complain about shot registration if you aren't recording and can verify what happened, it's too fast otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Are shots simulated on the server or client side, anyway? How does lag factor into it? Is it a poo poo show like Battlefield, that'd actually require a crosshair indicator because blood splatter is an absolutely inaccurate indicator (at least when moving laterally, anyway)?

Also, how to you get on the pointed roofs of houses, like those in Pochinki? I mean, not parachuting onto it, but after equipping guns in houses. Someone dropped from above while I was crawling out on a balcony. That seemed fishy, because I fail to see a way back up there.

• Locked thread