Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Green peppers are a pro tier pizza topping :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

It's a good thing you archived this because Derek constantly deletes stuff from the internet before it can be properly used against him.

:vince:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Hello space pals, I am very ill

Also

https://twitter.com/commando_tom/status/876066618551525376

:laugh:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Latin Pheonix posted:

Oh I know that you're a mod here and I remember you were really active back when there was still hope that SC would be good back in 2013/14, but I'm wondering what you were right about?

Mostly that their constant inability to manage expectations and actually deliver something when they said they would wasn't sustainable, and that every breach of trust would result in long term consequences. You know, basic FUD and trolling.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

peter gabriel posted:

get better soon, commando. maybe take a nice relaxing bath in the hottub of your idris?

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

big nipples big life posted:

Green peppers are a pro tier pizza topping :colbert:

This opinion I can get behind

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

He's just so grateful that they let him give them money. Truly the pillars of humanity.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Get yourself a nice hawaain pizza with extra pineapple, you'll be feeling better in no time friend. :discourse:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

did you finish building your fence? i hope you didn't take a swig of varnish thinking it was a cup of tea or something :ohdear:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Blue Cross Blue Balls posted:

Get yourself a nice hawaain pizza with extra pineapple, you'll be feeling better in no time friend. :discourse:

Good lord, don't try to finish him off.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Frank Kelly Freas vs @RyanArcherArt

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lack of Gravitas posted:

did you finish building your fence? i hope you didn't take a swig of varnish thinking it was a cup of tea or something :ohdear:

Fence is done yeah, it's poo poo!

I have this mad ear infection thing and am waiting on an operation date, and on Weds my ear decided to go apeshit on me. I was given some strange drugs and slept until Friday night, so now I am feeling a bit floaty and painy. It's all very bad really but it'll be OK.
Just need ears 3.1 to be released

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

I have this mad ear infection thing and am waiting on an operation date, and on Weds my ear decided to go apeshit on me. I was given some strange drugs and slept until Friday night, so now I am feeling a bit floaty and painy. It's all very bad really but it'll be OK.

Hopefully someone brings you some donuts and takes a selfie with you commando.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

peter gabriel posted:

I hope that 3.1 thing has all the features

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hopefully someone brings you some donuts and takes a selfie with you commando.

Keep MoMMA away from my life support plug

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bootcha posted:

Additionally, a few buddies are having a chili "contest". More of a show-off. But I thought this year I'd try to make something crazy...

Chicago Dog Chili

Meat base: Ground Beef
Meat accent: Chopped Vienna or Hebrew National Hotdogs. (Hebrew probably because Vienna is impossible to find down here)
Aromatics: Onion, Sport Peppers (and Garlic?)
Sauce: Standard Tomato Diced/Sauce/Paste
Spice: Celery Salt, Pepper, Poppy Seeds, Mustard Powder
Serving Accent: Fresh Chopped Onion, Dollop of Neon Relsih and Half Pickle Spear

The jist is to somewhat recreate the salty-sweet-savory sensation of a proper Chicago Dog in chili form.

So cooking know-hows, the thing I'm wondering about is how to use the Mustard Powder. Or would it be better to measure out squeeze Mustard and put in along with the tomatoes?

Where are the beans? Like, :cmon:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:vince: :perfect:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SelenicMartian posted:

Sandi looks really fat and drunk today

Fitness is in

Nipple Jets 3.5 are coming

Dance armour is in

But most importantly.

THE TICKLER

Team: Sir, we're having serious problems designing the game. The programming is falling apart at the seams, I'm not sure how long we can play on this whole "lol serialized variable 2.9 will save everything" concept when it won't, it's been years now. We can barely get a door to open properly and the world is expecting HAL9000 levels of cognizance from our AI... can you help us, sir?

CR: Of course. I can see where your problem is..

Team: Where??? :monocle:

CR: This network doesn't have enough motion capture yet. It's time to hit the studio boys. Let me show you how to code this.

Team: :stonk:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Trip Report: Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Last week I spent a good deal of my time home from work with some horrible disease that turns the air I breathe into massive quantities of snot. Luckily, I'm feeling a little bit better. Unluckily, that seems to be because I've transferred the bulk of my illness to my poor wife, who also happens to be right in the middle of mid-term exams. Hooray! So after a week of eating canned chicken noodle soup, last night I knew I wanted to make some comfort food fit for a cold blustery fall day (despite temperatures being in high eighties yesterday) to help my bedridden wife feel better. I also knew that the last thing on earth I wanted to eat was chicken noodle soup, canned or otherwise, which was fine because I still don't feel well enough to spend a full day in the kitchen fiddling with chicken parts. Enter roasted butternut squash soup. Not something I usually see down where I live, it's a wintertime favorite in other regions of the United States, and best of all it's easy and relatively quick. I took a page from Foodlab here and roasted my carrots with the squash instead of dicing them up and sweating them with my onions and garlic.

Ingredients:
  • Butternut squash (~2.5 lbs) seeded, peeled, and cubed
  • Carrot/carrots, peeled and cubed (I like carrots and had a bunch hanging around so I went for a ratio of rougly 1/3 carrots to squash, but you could do with less)
  • One large yellow or white onion (depending on your preferences), diced
  • Four cloves of garlic, chopped thin (or more if you're like me and love garlic)
  • 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • Olive oil, 2-3 tablespoons
  • Butter, 2-3 tablespoons
  • Salt and pepper
  • Cinnamon and nutmeg
  • Fresh thyme sprigs
  • Bay leaf

Process:
  • Preheat your oven to 425. Toss your squash and carrots in olive oil and roast in a pan until they're nice and brown, turning occasionally. Let them go for somewhere near 40 minutes, but if they're not as dark as you'd like them just let them go for a while longer.
  • Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan and add garlic and onion as the butter is just starting to brown, sweating on medium for 10 minutes or until the mix softens and turns golden.
  • Once your squash and carrots are appropriately roasted, remove them from the oven and add them to the saucepan with your garlic and onion. Add 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock. Optional: if you didn't use silpats for your squash and carrots, use 1/2 cup of stock for each roasting tray to deglaze and add all the crispy vegetable leavings into the saucepan.
  • Add two fresh thyme sprigs and a bay leaf to your saucepan and bring to a simmer, allowing to cook for another 10 minutes or until the vegetables are super soft.
  • Discard thyme and bay leaf and bust out some kind of blender. I use an immersion blender but if you don't have one of those you can work in batches in a regular blender, it just might take a bit more work. Puree the mix until smooth, adding extra chicken or vegetable stock to thin if necessary.
  • Season with salt and pepper if needed and enjoy.

Notes: Roasted butternut squash soup is often served with a little dollop of some kind of whipped cream - the Foodlab recipe recommends whipping heavy cream with a touch of sour cream, spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg. I didn't bother with that because I wasn't feeling up to it, and instead just added a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg to the soup after I dished it out into bowls. Honestly I just put a tiny dollop of straight sour cream on top to lightly counter the sweetness of the soup and it worked out fine. Next time I'll run through the whole rigmarole, but if you're making soup and don't feel like also making whipped cream, don't worry too much about it. Also, while I love soup by itself, I know some people (including my wife) feel like a bowl of soup needs something to go with it in order to make a meal, so after realizing that I probably should have gotten stuff to make some kind of side and deciding I'd be damned if I was going to go back to the store, I grabbed a baguette and some extra butter and a wedge of gruyere I happened to have in the fridge and made some simple "mini grilled cheese" sandwiches to go with it. The gruyere and squash go well together, and the buttery crunchiness of the toasted baguette is a nice counter to the silky smoothness of the soup. It ended up working well: the soup was delicious and the sandwiches made it just the kind of comfort food that we were looking for, while still being a nice change of pace from chicken noodle.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 17, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

also, just loving lol at how lovely and buggy this game is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULxA2-VV6Os

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

:catdrugs:

for real though, ear infections suck. I hope you're feeling better soon

The Titanic posted:

Team: Sir, we're having serious problems designing the game. The programming is falling apart at the seams, I'm not sure how long we can play on this whole "lol serialized variable 2.9 will save everything" concept when it won't, it's been years now. We can barely get a door to open properly and the world is expecting HAL9000 levels of cognizance from our AI... can you help us, sir?

CR: Of course. I can see where your problem is..

Team: Where??? :monocle:

CR: This network doesn't have enough motion capture yet. It's time to hit the studio boys. Let me show you how to code this.

Team: :stonk:

CR: Right, gather round, I'll um show you how we um would deal with this back in the nineties..

clicks on windows start button
scroll scroll scroll
scrolls down
scrolls back up a bit
clicks on command prompt

CR: Ok, um you guys pay attention, you're going to get a lesson now

edit c:\autoexec.bat
autoexec.bat not found

CR: um...

edit c:\config.sys
config.sys not found

CR: um... is Dennis around? can someone go find Dennis? somethings wrong with this computer...

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AbstractNapper posted:

What is happening. Why are they doing these graphics when they have a garbage game?
Is it because they are full of idle animators who they want to keep around for the next fake GamesCom demo and concept ship promo video? Nah, can't be.

This is what happens when you have no programming talent, and plenty of movie quality modelers. CR is trying to fake it until he makes it, but nobody has informed him yet that $150,000,000 of models and animation don't Voltron form themselves into a game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lack of Gravitas posted:

:catdrugs:

for real though, ear infections suck. I hope you're feeling better soon

The drugs are good, now I can keep my eyes open I will try some VR later and get my moneys worth.
It's all hosed up in there though, I am going to have a portion of my loving skull cut off to get rid of it, it has a posh name mastoidectomy but from what I can gather is't also a refactoring of my head. I was supposed to have an op a month or so ago bu the NHS will NHS and it's all been delayed

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/875956158120443905

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/875907961964552193

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Food Citizen, gently caress off

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
"So erm we need an ern cool name like what they have for bar citizen, that's a fun play on words, any suggestions?"

*tumbleweeds*

"food citizen?"

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

The Titanic posted:

This is what happens when you have no programming talent, and plenty of movie quality modelers. CR is trying to fake it until he makes it, but nobody has informed him yet that $150,000,000 of models and animation don't Voltron form themselves into a game.

Doesnt matter, CIG can sell/license all the art and their tools to other companies, which should get them 50 mil cash easily. 400 people can produce a lot of stuff, especially under the management of Chris Roberts.

#THERANOS

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Coming soon, on warm days near you:

Ice Cream Citizen

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

The drugs are good, now I can keep my eyes open I will try some VR later and get my moneys worth.
It's all hosed up in there though, I am going to have a portion of my loving skull cut off to get rid of it, it has a posh name mastoidectomy but from what I can gather is't also a refactoring of my head. I was supposed to have an op a month or so ago bu the NHS will NHS and it's all been delayed

Holy poo poo. I wish you the best from the bottom of my heart and soul.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

Holy poo poo. I wish you the best from the bottom of my heart and soul.

Thanks! I'm sure it will be OK and if I die at least I went doing what I loved. Drugged into oblivion while being hacked around the skull with various power tools

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GhandiSardiner/status/876113883529957376

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Sunswipe posted:

Let me improve that for you.

I fight you :argh:

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

also, just loving lol at how lovely and buggy this game is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULxA2-VV6Os

http://i.imgur.com/vYm6lCE.gifv

e: oops, I meant to get the explosion in there

MilesK fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 17, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

this is my favourite thing from this game in a long time

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

starkebn posted:

this is my favourite thing from this game in a long time

The way that one single lonely planet.jpg that's been in the game for loving years slowly jitters past elevates it into awesomeness

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
"I erm want a planet like that big one that we have in real life with the big red spot, Juniper or something *waves hands until wrists fracture* "

*artists spend months proudly creating a gas giant*

"THAT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE JUNIPER DO IT AGAIN YOU loving rear end in a top hat"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hey dudes, I've been away from electronics for several weeks. Has CIG messed anything up in a funny way? (I'm guessing yes.)