Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

They just need to do something, and they need to do it before Tuesday. The problem is really that they're kind of just generally wringing their hands, which makes the situation like a million times worse.

If they haven't announced something by the end of today, I just kind of assume that we might as well write off the next week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Man, I'm really sad I can't get through Pipin. I won't have much time come Monday, so I was really looking forward to seeing new zones and new fights etc. before then. And it doesn't look like I'll get to do any of that. I wish they at least put some new dungeon outside of the main quest line and freely accessible so I could play something new.

PvP is fine and all but the fact that it's still the same maps means it's still pretty boring to me. I've got like 700 campaigns under my belt, so the ability revamp isn't really enough to breathe life into these tired maps for me. So I don't even really feel like it's worth the time to login. I guess I'll do some GC turn-ins or something. Pretty disappointing launch.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Also the Japanese forums are saying that you can get disconnected and stuck after killing Susano, devs confirmed it's an issue.

What a train wreck.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Also the Japanese forums are saying that you can get disconnected and stuck after killing Susano, devs confirmed it's an issue.

What a train wreck.

from what I've heard the japanese servers are even more overpopulated than the NA ones and thus had way worse crashes/disconnect issues

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

VanillaGorilla posted:

They just need to do something, and they need to do it before Tuesday. The problem is really that they're kind of just generally wringing their hands, which makes the situation like a million times worse.

If they haven't announced something by the end of today, I just kind of assume that we might as well write off the next week or so.

I can't wait for even MORE people to get stonewalled at solo instances. The amount of rage will make the WHM salt seem like nothing in comparison.

Also I think I'm gonna be maining either BRD or MCH for DPS. I really like BRD's system now even if it'll take some getting used to. MCH is a lot messier (and it seems like it was designed around getting your 62/64 abilities, which is kinda lame for those who are just levelling it now), but Rostnthal is good so.

Wanted to try MNK but it seems kinda iffy til you get the 62 ability and I've had worse rendering issues since SB started, so I'm lagging just enough to make combo weaving a bit tight.

On the flipside, WAR has the best start of the Stormblood quest lines that I've seen. PLD doesn't look that promising yet, but I'm only just going to hit 61 soon.

One thing I do like is that you seem to actually be in a major and advisory position in nearly all of them. NPCs finally giving the Warrior of Light credit where it's due.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is there a good newbie guide for potd? I kind of ignored it before now and I'm too afraid to open chests or use any of the pomanders because I don't want to waste them

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is there a good newbie guide for potd? I kind of ignored it before now and I'm too afraid to open chests or use any of the pomanders because I don't want to waste them

you can only hold up to 3 of any pomander, so just use em and learn through experimentation. my own experience with PotD is that nobody uses anything anyways since they're all alt tabbed to watch netflix

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Never be afraid of wasting a pomandor because 90% of people don't use them and they just sit there

There's probably cases where you'll want to have an emergency one but I think they're far enough in that you won't see them unless you're rolling in a premade group with goons

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Minrad posted:

you can only hold up to 3 of any pomander, so just use em and learn through experimentation. my own experience with PotD is that nobody uses anything anyways since they're all alt tabbed to watch netflix

Each pomander is personal, right? Meaning if I use one in my inventory, I'm not depriving a party member from using it?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

No, they're shared

Ainsley McTree posted:

if you're in a matched party, it doesn't even matter cause you lose all of them every 10 floors, pop em like crazy. Just don't use resolutions on floors 91-99 and don't use rage on a no knockback floor unless you wanna look like an idiot

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I was kinda bummed that I got work and family engagements due to fathers day this weekend but I guess this whole situation makes it hurt a bit less. Hell even once I do finally have access to the game again I wanna finish Hildi and Scholasticate before i jump back on MSQ.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just a reminder that there are no congestion issues on the EU servers so if you're in Europe and were on the fence about moving, we've got a growing Free Company waiting for you.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Minrad posted:

the pipin one's even longer, and it doesn't account for people who die/get d/ced inside the instance. so, lol

At this point it's just an echo chamber of anger but this really is the worst MMO launch I've seen. Like yeah I appreciate RDM and SAM, reworked pvp, etc, but the fun part of MMO launches is seeing the storyline and running dungeons and chatting about new content. I've never seen an MMO get figuratively stonewalled and just be unplayable for an actual 99% of the playerbase for more than a few hours, let alone over a day.

you haven't seen many MMO launches then

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Just a reminder that there are no congestion issues on the EU servers so if you're in Europe and were on the fence about moving, we've got a growing Free Company waiting for you.

anyone have an IP for the EU datacenter? gotta make some money somehow and if i can progress in the msq it's worth it anyway

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

you haven't seen many MMO launches then

I mean, okay, vanilla FFXIV was dog poo poo but it at least had storyline quests you could in theory do if you got enough levels

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

someone of you people are alright... anyone on excal: don't go to quarrymill tonight

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

anyone have an IP for the EU datacenter? gotta make some money somehow and if i can progress in the msq it's worth it anyway
http://arrstatus.com/

Erg posted:

Never be afraid of wasting a pomandor because 90% of people don't use them and they just sit there
I was once scolded for using pomanders of strength, although party was still sitting at 3 of those and no one bothered to use them. But generally, no one cares.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Minrad posted:

I mean, okay, vanilla FFXIV was dog poo poo but it at least had storyline quests you could in theory do if you got enough levels

The servers are up and there's poo poo to do that isn't the MSQ. It is by default better than 90% od mmo launches between 2000-now. The MSQ block is insanely lousy regardless though.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Dwesa posted:

http://arrstatus.com/

I was once scolded for using pomanders of strength, although party was still sitting at 3 of those and no one bothered to use them. But generally, no one cares.

lol gently caress anyone who gets pissy about you using pomandors while you're doing matched parties for quick exp

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

WrightOfWay posted:

The penalty for changing stances means we lost a gigantic amount of durability (or damage) despite technically losing only one cooldown. It also just makes it feel really bad to stance dance, which removes one of my favorite parts of playing WAR.
You just need to start getting good at swapping stances after blowing your Beast Gauge.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The good news is leveling Red Mage means I don't have to worry about the main quest bullshit until I'm all caught up. The bad news is I stopped playing like 2 and a half years ago and I wasn't caught up then.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

One more newbie question about potd; are there aetherpool rating cutoffs I should be aiming for before proceeding to the next set of floors? I just finished floor 50 last night and I'm not sure if I should forge on ahead to 100, or go back to floor 1, I didn't see anything in-game suggesting how geared I'm supposed to be before moving forward.

And it's floor 101+ where the game stops loving around and starts actually getting hard, right?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't understand how their infrastructure is *so bad* that they can only handle 11 solo duty instances at any given time. Like, how did this not become a problem during ARR/Heavensward? The playerbase is, what, a million or so? They never EVER had more than 11 people doing a solo duty instance at any one time, ever before?

Their justification is that letting more people through Raubahn Savage would lead to server instability in the later zones, but right now on Leviathan there's like thousands of people all hanging out in the Fringes (spread out over a few instances) doing FATE swarms and such and the servers are handling that just fine. Letting more people through so you have like 500 people in a later zone is too much for the servers to handle?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't understand how their infrastructure is *so bad* that they can only handle 11 solo duty instances at any given time. Like, how did this not become a problem during ARR/Heavensward? The playerbase is, what, a million or so? They never EVER had more than 11 people doing a solo duty instance at any one time, ever before?

Their justification is that letting more people through Raubahn Savage would lead to server instability in the later zones, but right now on Leviathan there's like thousands of people all hanging out in the Fringes (spread out over a few instances) doing FATE swarms and such and the servers are handling that just fine. Letting more people through so you have like 500 people in a later zone is too much for the servers to handle?

I mean if you want the short answer it's that Square is a terrible company, and while they love the idea of the gaming growing by leaps and bounds they definitely don't want to spend money building up the infrastructure to support it.

Which is pretty sad because FFXIV is probably one of the few things SE still has making money these days given how badly they gently caress up every other project they take on.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

One more newbie question about potd; are there aetherpool rating cutoffs I should be aiming for before proceeding to the next set of floors? I just finished floor 50 last night and I'm not sure if I should forge on ahead to 100, or go back to floor 1, I didn't see anything in-game suggesting how geared I'm supposed to be before moving forward.

And it's floor 101+ where the game stops loving around and starts actually getting hard, right?

Unless you're trying to solo (do not do this), anything that the game will let you in with is good enough.

Also you have to get to 150 before the game stops loving around, things are just HP sponges from 101-149.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ainsley McTree posted:

In case you didn't know, you require 30/30 (or maybe just a total of 60?) before the game will let you go past floor 50. I'd say that's a pretty solid benchmark too - the game level locks your aetherial gear to X+4, where X is the current dungeon floor, so you can only over prepare so much. It's also much easier to get aetherial gear boosts when your gear level is lower than the current floor.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
Can someone explain why AoE attacks always do less damage to each enemy instead of doing a flat amount of damage to every enemy inside its effect?
I'm just annoyed that deathflare will do less damage now
On a related note now you're unable to cast shadow flare again for 60 seconds? You usually have to recast it every 15 seconds because enemies won't stop moving around.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

VanillaGorilla posted:

I mean if you want the short answer it's that Square is a terrible company, and while they love the idea of the gaming growing by leaps and bounds they definitely don't want to spend money building up the infrastructure to support it.

Which is pretty sad because FFXIV is probably one of the few things SE still has making money these days given how badly they gently caress up every other project they take on.

this is actually one of those weird memes that isn't true in any way, they announced about a month or so ago that last fiscal year had record profits for them and that mmo revenue was down

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Countblanc posted:

In case you didn't know, you require 30/30 (or maybe just a total of 60?) before the game will let you go past floor 50. I'd say that's a pretty solid benchmark too - the game level locks your aetherial gear to X+4, where X is the current dungeon floor, so you can only over prepare so much. It's also much easier to get aetherial gear boosts when your gear level is lower than the current floor.

Oh I didn't know that; I didn't even try to do the next floor before turning in. Alright then, I'm glad the game won't let me gleefully kill myself too much.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

macfam posted:

Can someone explain why AoE attacks always do less damage to each enemy instead of doing a flat amount of damage to every enemy inside its effect?
On a related note now you're unable to cast shadow flare again for 60 seconds? You usually have to recast it every 15 seconds because enemies won't stop moving around.

Because AOE is bad. Please respect the content.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Countblanc posted:

It's actually more like 15/15ish for 51-60

KoB
May 1, 2009
FInally got through Rauban Extreme and there was no crowd at Pipin. Benefits of a smaller server i guess.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if you're 15/15 in 51-60 you might as well sit down at the cairn every floor because you're doing something slightly between jack and poo poo anyway

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'd guess they can handle more solo instances but something hosed up and they're not really sure what. I'd suspect it has something to do with the new datacenter but I doubt this is restricted to just NA.

macfam posted:

People were clearing dungeons a lot faster than initially anticipated because of huge AoE. Before HW, it was easy to just train every encounter up until the next gate or boss and just AoE them down. They've tried combating this in numerous ways, like having more gates to break up the trash encounters between bosses or not spawning a bunch of enemies until the first or second clusters are dead. By lowering AoE damage this way, AoE remains viable for small packs while making it harder for the tank to survive, say, tank five packs at once. Even if the healer can keep up, making it take longer makes it just that much more dangerous. You could view the sagittarius in Baelsar's Wall in as a similar countermeasure. The random tank you get in EXDR often didn't know how to handle ranged mobs and the archers would be dicks and dot up random party members, making it harder for the tank to keep aggro off the healer as they'd have to devote a little more time to everyone else. It's dumb but this is a situation SE has decided is a problem.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

SE should decide to fix the servers

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mulva posted:

The good news is leveling Red Mage means I don't have to worry about the main quest bullshit until I'm all caught up. The bad news is I stopped playing like 2 and a half years ago and I wasn't caught up then.

sup 'stopped advancing the story >12 months ago' buddy

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Countblanc posted:

My weapon was only +24 when I ran 50-60 several times yesterday. I might've been over +60 total though. :shrug:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
IIRC 17/17 is the minimum to enter floor 51.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

How bad is the game doing today? Is it just raubahn/pipin ex that's making things impossible, or are constant disconnects happening too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Since they get rid of the GOOD AOE ability for Bards i'm almost tempted to not even use Quick Nock for AOE purposes and replace it for something else.Even though Rain of Death shares a cooldown with Bloodletter, throwing on Mage's Ballad usually solves any availability issues it has plus you don't have to get close to the enemies to have it be effective plus with AOE potency down across the board i'm less inclined to even bother with it.

Even if it was only about 10 potency off from Quick Nock, that flip made all the difference :sigh: