Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It looks bad and is too big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

But enough about my dilz

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

bit of a problem with the june cumulative patch - windows 10 anniversary update, on pro, the current business branch for updates. they added this interesting feature that says "A feature update includes new capabilities and improvements. It can be deferred for this many days:" (0 - 365). i'm not quite sure how they mistranslated this line as it just hides updates for the length of time, as unearthed by me trying to figure out why patch tuesday hadn't arrived

on a fun note did you know that when you set it to 0 it goes from "checking for updates" to immediately installing the cumulative update for the month, and also the june one will cause a bsod on first-pass?
lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

bit of a problem with the june cumulative patch - windows 10 anniversary update, on pro, the current business branch for updates. they added this interesting feature that says "A feature update includes new capabilities and improvements. It can be deferred for this many days:" (0 - 365). i'm not quite sure how they mistranslated this line as it just hides updates for the length of time, as unearthed by me trying to figure out why patch tuesday hadn't arrived

on a fun note did you know that when you set it to 0 it goes from "checking for updates" to immediately installing the cumulative update for the month, and also the june one will cause a bsod on first-pass?

sounds like your operating system is a piece of poo poo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
randomly breaks on updates? windows is worse than linux lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
uh oh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
the latest office patch breaks attachments in rtf emails if the filename ends in punctuation

which would probably be minimal impact for normal people but our lob app only sends emails in rtf so guess what

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
have you tried txt, the universal interface

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

why be txt when you can be rich

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

the latest office patch breaks attachments in rtf emails if the filename ends in punctuation

which would probably be minimal impact for normal people but our lob app only sends emails in rtf so guess what

you're already all manner of hosed because pretty much every malware vector for office relies on malformed rtf?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

you're already all manner of hosed because pretty much every malware vector for office relies on malformed rtf?

it's this

fun fact it also requires smb1!

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
read the loving email

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

it's this

fun fact it also requires smb1!

goddamn son. you'se crawlin with worms

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Microsoft Doormat got a review

Nice!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

r u ready to WALK posted:

Nice!

I'm very impressed with how they managed an even lower score than macbooks. That takes bravery, courage and hard will.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

how easy is cum to clean off the rug?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Endless Mike posted:

how easy is cum to clean off the rug?

i imagine as easy as it is to clean off of any old rug, that is way too difficult to be worth it to come on.

come on the touch screen or directly into the ports, you might need an adapter for cumming in the charging mag-port

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

one xbox two x

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Nice!

jesus gently caress

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the verge tripped all over themselves to say how amazing the surface laptop was then gave it an 8.1

e: oops 8.8, the new surface pro got an 8.1

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

qirex posted:

the verge tripped all over themselves to say how amazing the surface laptop was then gave it an 8.1

it shouldn't surprise me that people will buy these, but it does

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
treat any reviews where the site is dependent on receiving product/advertising from manufacturers with a grain of salt

basically any score lower than a 9.0 means it's pure garbage and any score lower than an 8.0 means the company didn't lavish them with enough ads/product

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the verge is basically a microsoft propaganda arm, it would bug me less if they admitted it

they're literally the ones who posted "and that's why microsoft is cool again"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Nice!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAI6yIZI3rg&hd=1

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

:jackbud:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

qirex posted:

8.1 in microsoftese means "awful mistake" doesn't it

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Boiled Water posted:

I'm very impressed with how they managed an even lower score than macbooks. That takes bravery, courage and hard will.
this seems to explain why when you send in a surface product under warranty for repair they just ship you a new or refurb one that may or may not be in the same condition as yours. because they don't even have the tools or ability to fix it.

amazing

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Phoenixan posted:

this seems to explain why when you send in a surface product under warranty for repair they just ship you a new or refurb one that may or may not be in the same condition as yours. because they don't even have the tools or ability to fix it.

amazing

tbf no one has the ability to make a windows machine usable

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Phoenixan posted:

amazing

no one has, the glue really does a number on them.

I mean I guess it's one way to make macbook-like size products without the institutional know how of tiny screws.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Boiled Water posted:

no one has, the glue really does a number on them.

I mean I guess it's one way to make macbook-like size products without the institutional know how of tiny screws.

making a product not flex is easier to do with glue, a lot of your new cars are bonded by "structural adhesives" i.e. glues

cheaper, lighter, easier to engineer than screws

gonna say apple will switch when it makes sense, not like upgrading soldered on components is even worth it

iow get out poors

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

reminder that the verge gave Windows 8 an 8.8

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Linguica posted:

reminder that the verge gave Windows 8 an 8.8
windows 8.1, also

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

8.1 in microsoftese means "awful mistake" doesn't it

verge's scale runs from 7-10, so anything under a 8.5 is p bad

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i like the surface teardown where they're popping the keyboard out of the clips with a guitar pick and then they go, whoops it's actually crappy ultrasonic welds

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

oh wow, ms can't machine worth a goddamn poo poo? big surprise

pram
Jun 10, 2001
but its covered in luxurious faux leather

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

what impressed me the most out of that video was how relatively calm and steady the hands stayed thoughout the whole thing, i kept expecting them to start getting really violent/frustrated

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Endless Mike posted:

verge's scale runs from 7-10, so anything under a 8.5 is p bad
wasn't there a review on some device that literally caught fire or some other dangerous poo poo and they gave it a 7?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Boiled Water posted:

come on the touch screen

toora-loora toora-loora-yea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

the verge is basically a microsoft propaganda arm, it would bug me less if they admitted it

they're literally the ones who posted "and that's why microsoft is cool again"
also they had multiple articles arguing that msfts share of the phone market falling to 0.0% was actually good news and proof that their mobile strategy was working

• Locked thread