Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Kazinsal posted:

It's fine at whatever I hold it at but if I don't give it several minutes of gas and then slowly let the throttle off until it's at 650 (which is really quite difficult I might add) it'll croak.

I appreciate all the help guys. Makes me feel better knowing that there's some folks willing to help a stranger on some dead gay comedy forums with his frustrating and expensive car problems.

In my past experience with something similar it wound up being the valve cover gasket had an air leak. Have you replaced the valve cover and/or seals? Is it possible your valve cover is cracked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

slidebite posted:

Front load washer chat...

Typically it goes in order of preference..European makes followed by North American and then Korean. Note makes does not necessarily = country of origin.

I just did a lot of research on this myself and ended up with an Electrolux set but I think that would be over your budget. You might be able to get a deal on the entry level set to make it close though? This is their basic full size washer.

Speaking to my appliance repair guy (he had to get me a part for something) he rates Miele, Bosch and Electrolux pretty close in terms of reliability in the real world. North Americans brands decent, but can be hit and miss, and finds the Koreans (LG, Samsung) pretty much on par for reliability but LGs parts availability and warranty program is absolutely atrocious, easily the worst in the market. Kenmores are typically re-badged Korean units. They go so far now as to not even want to work on LGs and tells people that call them with an LG issue just to call the 1-800 LG hotline and arrange to troubleshoot and repair through it.

If I had a budget of $1K, I'd probably go to my local costco and see if they had in Whirlpools or Maytags in stock you could get within budget.

There are other niche brands like but leaving those out completely based on $$$.

Note, if you are talking about second floor installs and extra large capacity are important to you, that changes the dynamic around a bit.

Nice, thanks for this. We can probbo swing more than a grand since if it's an obvious quality increase it's worth it to me

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So I have a potential buyer for my e30 track car but he wants to put money down on it to hold it till he has money for it in a couple of weeks. I would never consider a payment plan but a contract with a non refundable deposit seems low risk to me

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Fo3 posted:

My laptop died again, (Dell vostro 1400). I was watching a le mans stream while my desktop was stuffing around with a windows update and the screen just started flickering and then it locked up.
It first died (onboard GPU) over easter this year. I feel like my little buddy has died. I've had it nearly 10 years and it's been with me everywhere.
I bought it when I started my first business in HVAC and lugged it around daily for service manual referencing. It was my only link to the outside world when I went sadbrains, mute and lived in a storeroom.

Anyone know how to fix it proper? When the display died over easter I reflowed it in an oven but that only gave it another couple of months. I was looking at replacement used/refurbished mainboards but they only seem to be in the US and don't ship for under $200.
I don't want another laptop, I want my little buddy back :(

I haven't been impressed with any new cheapies anyway, this one did everything I wanted and was good for about 10 years. The woman here bought a $500 lenovo edge e520 a few years ago and I still think my dell vostro 1400 was better.
E: When I split with the woman and move out I doubt I'll take or have room for the lian li tower and 24" samsung monitor desktop system, and I hate smart phones, so a laptop is probably going to be my only connection to the outside world.
What should I do? Any way to repair it properly? Any good ones that I should look out for s/h for ~$200? Budget is tight due to moving and spending everything on cars at the moment. Would obviously prefer to repair my buddy but only if it was a long term guaranteed repair.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/472308/Latitude_E6430_140_Laptop_Computer_Refurbished_-_Black

I would buy something like this and throw a ssd and more ram into it later.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Something like that in Australia would be good. They look to be about $350-400 here but I'll look into them

BraveUlysses posted:

So I have a potential buyer for my e30 track car but he wants to put money down on it to hold it till he has money for it in a couple of weeks. I would never consider a payment plan but a contract with a non refundable deposit seems low risk to me

It's my experience that people who back out of a purchase never consider their deposit non refundable. So I would go into it as fine, take the deposit, but never unlist it. If any new buyer shows up with cash up front sell it to the new buyer and jst refund the deposit to the other guy.
So many people treat it as lay by or a refundable deposit it's lost all original meaning/intention. When I sell stuff the deposit only covers a reasonable time to get to a bank, like 1-2 days, and even then I only take one if I know they are serious - I've refused many times to take one as it works against my best interests.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 17, 2017

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Fo3 posted:

Something like that in Australia would be good. They look to be about $350-400 here but I'll look into them

I haven't shipped to Australia in a long time but I can get new Vostro 1400 motherboards for $50-100 what is shipping from US? Also I understand the love I had one new was a great machine even with Vista, upgraded RAM and HD and eventually Win 7 only reason I sold it someone I worked with saw it wanted it and paid more than I had in it after using it a few years. As far as I know they still have it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got to hoon around in a G8 this morning, that's a pretty fun car. A shame it's more of a boat than my MS6 and every bit as old.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
It's a shame they are no more as well. Australia declines into irrelevancy with the demise of the commodore and falcon.

everdave posted:

I haven't shipped to Australia in a long time but I can get new Vostro 1400 motherboards for $50-100 what is shipping from US?
It's usually pricey but it would be worth it for me. It would depend on courier account or usps flat rate boxes I think. I just got a decent size box from pelican parts full of gaskets and stuff that would easily fit it and a whole lot of bubble wrap and that cost me $50 fedexed. But that would be because they get a good rate and have an account with them. USPS regular shipping would probably be more unless there was a flat rate box that fitted perfectly

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 17, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

Sidebar:

I've decided that I want myself and my groomsmen to dress as the cast of Buckaroo Banzai for the wedding.

You're going to be New Jersey, right?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I bought a super rare set of late 80s HKS temperature gauges for my GTX (to go with the boost and EGT i already have) and am going to need to figure out oil/water temperature senders. Anyone know of charts I can find a match for, or even a supplier for the actual sensors? I don't mind actually using an attiny or arduino to translate from gm or denso sensors, maybe then I could code in startup sweeps for gauges that never had them...

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I think it's awesome you still have the GTX, keep fighting the good fight. I completely forgot about the forgotten rally car even though they were available here as an import for ages and also the gtr.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

So, sitting in Discount Tire to get my tire with the missing chunk replaced. Two hours, and they finally pulled my car in.
All covered by the warranty, at least. Spent the $18 for a new warranty on the new tire.
Date code was FMR3315, which jibes with the purchase date. August 2015 versus, I believe it was October for the purchase. The other three are holding up fine, so probably a manufacturing defect.

Once I get back home, it's time to put on the new brakes, which will involve painting bits. I bought a StopTech kit with drilled and slotted rotors and Centric ceramic pads. The rotors are for appearance only, don't hate me. I realize there's no real performance benefit on a daily driver. You probably will hate me for my painted calipers when you see them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

DJ Commie posted:

I bought a super rare set of late 80s HKS temperature gauges for my GTX (to go with the boost and EGT i already have) and am going to need to figure out oil/water temperature senders. Anyone know of charts I can find a match for, or even a supplier for the actual sensors? I don't mind actually using an attiny or arduino to translate from gm or denso sensors, maybe then I could code in startup sweeps for gauges that never had them...

This is where the variable decade resistor network in the electronics kit from my schooling comes in handy. I've used it a few times to verify gauge operation. That and the power supply are pretty much all I've used it for since, though the prototyping area on it has come in handy once or twice.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

The best part of letting your in-laws borrow your car is fixing it when they gently caress it up. Also finding more poo poo wrong upon inspection when they want you to fix their "initial" gently caress up. Driving it 25 miles back home with the temp light on and the needle pegged to max is the proper way to do things, right? "We managed to get it home..." Also "the tags are due and it DMV says it needs to be snogged, are you going to do that for me while you're fixing the cooling issue?" No you assholes, you've had it for a year without buying anything else yet. Get off your rear end and pony up to borrow it. Sorry. Rant over.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My girlfriend was given tickets to a Thrones tour in Ireland and asked if I wanted to go on the proviso that I watch the show. I relented aaaaaaaaaand it's actually really good. Basically don't fall in love with any character and your heart won't get broken. :'(

Just don't read the books. The author has basically crawled up his own rear end in a top hat and decided to spend his time watching the Jets lose at football and perving on fans rather than write a word.

freelop posted:

Just encountered an unexpected hazard whilst cycling at night.
Thought there was another bike ahead as I saw a red flash of light but when the beam became solid I saw it was someone shining a laser pen in my eyes. 15 mins later and I can still see dots

Some oval office of a child was doing that from one of the apartments in my block a few months back. His parents really didn't appreciate it when he tagged one of the local cops and they rolled the place for loot at 1:30 AM on a Wednesday to make a point.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 17, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

You're going to be New Jersey, right?

I mean, while I would look very dashing I think I'm obligated to be Buck.

EDIT: CLOTHES CHAT

I was wearing 38x30 pants and I just bought a pair of 34x30 for the first time in loving forever and they're a bit loose!

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 17, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rhyno posted:

EDIT: CLOTHES CHAT

I was wearing 38x30 pants and I just bought a pair of 34x30 for the first time in loving forever and they're a bit loose!

Good for you man. I really need to get off my lazy rear end and lose some weight myself. Glad to see someone doing it!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Nothing like volunteering to help out on your day off to find out that Ia walkin freezer is down with a burnt-out compressor, and that compressor isn't available today.

Honey, I don't care cuz I don't want to Lug you a compressor up on the roof today, but it sucks for them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Doing landscaping at our new house and realizing how small I am compared to some guys.

I mean, I know I'm not small, I'm 5'11 and 235lbs (OK, fat), but was watching my 6'6 250lb, built like a brick shithouse, old farmer stock home builder grab my landscaping 4x6x12' rough sawed boards, 1 in each hand as we were placing them just made me think gently caress, I pity the dude that tries to does his little girl wrong in high school.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Didn't we used to have a car photography thread? Being the warmer seasons in the northern hemisphere, should we make one? Had a nice car show up here in VT and I think snagged a few decent shots - a la Syf0n method.... If a new thread isn't worth it, I can try to post in here tomorrow/Monday if there is interest...

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Nice, thanks for this. We can probbo swing more than a grand since if it's an obvious quality increase it's worth it to me

I've got nothing but praise for my Bosch front loader.

And I live in Australia with no air conditioning. loving tight arse landlady

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The hotter it gets, the more I want to say gently caress it and slam the cheapest compressor into my car. I was trying to save up for at least a name brand, but Jim Bob's AC Shop on ebay has a "rebuilt" compressor for $110. A Four Seasons reman is closer to $300; a new in box OEM compressor is only $25 more than the 4 Reasons to run reman on Rockauto.

Car's throwing an evap code now too. :argh: P0496, I'm assuming the purge solenoid is stuck open or something. New AC Delco solenoid is $22 on Rockauto (the aftermarket ones somehow cost more), so it's not exactly painful to just throw a new solenoid at it. It's been kinda grumpy about starting lately and my mileage went to poo poo over the past week.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I put a junkyard (not reman) compressor in my camry in college and it was cold for the 4 years until i sold it.
Cold is worth it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Problem is, most of the used ones I'm finding (hell, most of the reman ones too) are a Delphi CVC compressor. Mine has a Sanden PXV16 compressor.

I'm not even sure of the difference when it comes to the car, except it seems like the Sanden compressor isn't used nearly as much. If the Delphi is a direct swap, that'd be awesome (especially since I've found Denso remans of that one for <$100), but I haven't been able to find anyone that can confirm/deny that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Do they list different ac lines based on the compressor?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Not that I've found so far. The only significant difference I've found so far is the clutch. But I haven't sat down with one of each side by side. They also mount directly to the block, without a bracket, so if there's a mounting difference, it's not exactly a "meh, get another bracket" issue.

I know both are variable displacement compressors of the mechanical sort, not electronic, so chances are they're probably interchangeable. There's differences between year models (03-04 and 05+ - different part numbers for the lines and compressor). I just don't want to get in there and discover "well poo poo, they're not interchangeable after all".

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 18, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

[ASK] ME how hard it's been to find a loving 04 compressor for not $texas

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh c'mon man it can't be that bad. Look, I'll even pull up Rockauto right now, and...

gently caress. :stonkhat:

And you have the 6 rib pulley as an extra bit of gently caress you, don't you?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 18, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

At least you have plenty of options and availability...

Edit: I just looked what headlight assemblies cost for a saturn ion. Your good/oe option is what I paid for my car's cheapest name brand option. :qq:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 18, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Only one of those options fits his, though, at least as a direct bolt-on. He has that nice little supercharger, which means a 6 rib belt instead of the normal 5 rib.

Also :laffo:, yeah, there's absolutely no reason to drive an Ion with cloudy headlights. Not only are they dirt cheap, it takes 5 minutes to swap both of them, start to finish. They're held in with 2 pins, kinda like some GM trucks.

e: ouch, they've gone up quite a bit since I last looked, but still, ~$120ish for a (coupe) set on Amazon. The sedan ones seem to be a bit cheaper, but the sedans are also far more common than the coupes.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 18, 2017

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Can you cut through the interior frame to get access to the backside?

Bit late to reply, but, I was mentioning JB Weld or epoxy resin because holy poo poo Do NOT cut or modify the door; it's part of the radiation shielding.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

So, been driving my 2006 BMW 116i hatch for like a month now and so far, no problems (none were expected).

I have noticed a bit of jerkyness when it's cold. Terrified it could be a chain tensioner issue, which is apparently something it might do. But realistically it's the spark plugs, which according to the computer, need changing in 160km.

Otherwise, have never owned such a well handling car. It's amazing around the corners. The light small body and wheels at the corners helps a ton on top of the BMW suspension magic.

Could use more power, but I'll make do.

When drivng fast, you can tell it's not very aerodynamic. Not surprising, as it kind of looks like a sneaker.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meltie posted:

Bit late to reply, but, I was mentioning JB Weld or epoxy resin because holy poo poo Do NOT cut or modify the door; it's part of the radiation shielding.

Thanks, no radiation exposure risk occurred during or after this repair.

I ended up with a hybrid of the options. I liked the christmas tree push pin idea, and ended up backing the existing screw out about 3/8" to have the screw head project into the cavity. I filled the cavity with as much JB Weld as I could make stick, then slathered more JB Weld on the handle side. Clamped and checked it 8 hours later... looks good so far. Thanks for the suggestions, it helped me work it out in my head!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Seminal Flu posted:

Thanks, no radiation exposure risk occurred during or after this repair.

I ended up with a hybrid of the options. I liked the christmas tree push pin idea, and ended up backing the existing screw out about 3/8" to have the screw head project into the cavity. I filled the cavity with as much JB Weld as I could make stick, then slathered more JB Weld on the handle side. Clamped and checked it 8 hours later... looks good so far. Thanks for the suggestions, it helped me work it out in my head!

Skookum 😎

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Welp. Corvette was leading for a while and wrecked on the last lap of Le Mans. Crossed the finish with a locked wheel, in third place.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Welp. Corvette was leading for a while and wrecked on the last lap of Le Mans. Crossed the finish with a locked wheel, in third place.

That was a little crazy. It's pretty uncommon to see action like that at the end of a 24 hour race. That poor car went from leading to straight munged-up.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That finish saddened me. Wonder if the puncture happened from where the Aston tried to make the pass and banged into his left side coming back on or from him missing the chicane and loving up the car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Larrymer posted:

That finish saddened me. Wonder if the puncture happened from where the Aston tried to make the pass and banged into his left side coming back on or from him missing the chicane and loving up the car.

Which damage? It was pretty well beat by the end. Looks like his offroading took a tire down that sent him all over the track trying to keep catching it. The left front got taken out in a barely-shown off where he caught the wall. Kinda impressive that he brought it across the finish line after a lap and a half of various disasters!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Seminal Flu posted:

Which damage? It was pretty well beat by the end. Looks like his offroading took a tire down that sent him all over the track trying to keep catching it. The left front got taken out in a barely-shown off where he caught the wall. Kinda impressive that he brought it across the finish line after a lap and a half of various disasters!

Guess the footage I was watching wasn't great. The Aston kissed it coming back on the track when it made the first pass and I wondered if that gave the Vette a slow puncture. He gained a lead initially from his better run off that corner but then poo poo went haywire when he missed the chicane. I didn't see the wall hit but makes sense when you saw the lack of front light on it. Thought I saw something where the team said he had a rear puncture, but all I could really see was the front left locked up and flat when he crossed the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Larrymer posted:

Guess the footage I was watching wasn't great. The Aston kissed it coming back on the track when it made the first pass and I wondered if that gave the Vette a slow puncture. He gained a lead initially from his better run off that corner but then poo poo went haywire when he missed the chicane. I didn't see the wall hit but makes sense when you saw the lack of front light on it. Thought I saw something where the team said he had a rear puncture, but all I could really see was the front left locked up and flat when he crossed the line.

Yeah, I don't know the details for sure, it was tough to fully flow with the way they were presenting it...

• Locked thread