Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

sssh, adults are talking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Brain Candy posted:

sssh, adults are talking

wish you were one of them

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

science is the mind killer

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

my cousin tried science once, i haven't heard from him in years.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma related to gravitational challenge: systematic review of randomised controlled trials

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Brain Candy posted:

otoh, the idea that science is the only way to know things is a mind poison

more like "nerds who venerate the authority of SCIENCE while failing to understand the scientific method, experimental methodology or anything else that actually makes rigorous studies useful" are poison

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

get this hot take: formal proofs work without invoking Bayesian reasoning and are a way of knowing things without the scientific method

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

formal proof requires sound axioms and rules of inference, and I have no idea how one expects to produce those to decide whether we should use tabs or spaces

then again, formal proof vs experimentation is just static typing vs unit tests writ large

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Asymmetrikon posted:

formal proof requires sound axioms and rules of inference, and I have no idea how one expects to produce those to decide whether we should use tabs or spaces

then again, formal proof vs experimentation is just static typing vs unit tests writ large

i know, it's super easy. USE BOTH

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Brain Candy posted:

i know, it's super easy. USE BOTH

i'm glad we reached the correct answer

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
it is totally reasonable to accept the limitations of formal scientific study

any given study is going to be necessarily limited in scope, and often it will have flaws even within that scope. those caveats do not magically disappear when you aggregate studies, and it is important to understand them when discussing results. we should not be hasty to dismiss apparently-less-rigorous inputs such as lived experiences just because they conflict with the results of a study, especially when the differences seem to match the weaknesses of the study

furthermore, most topics involving human behavior are inherently difficult to study with any rigor. in this instance, what we really want to know is how the choice of programming language affects the development of a project, and specifically to projects like our own. there are a ton of dimensions of that similarity: how long will the current project last, will the code be used in future projects, how many people have worked on this code in the past, are those people still around, how many people are working on it now, how experienced is the current team, are they focused exclusively on this project, how much turnover is there, how well does the team communicate, how stable is their understanding of what the project needs to do, etc. nobody is ever going to run a 2-year study where teams of professional programmers use different programming languages to create and maintain competing products with the same initial spec and changing requirements, and it wouldn't mean much if they did, because there would be so much else going on that the noise would drown out any supposed differences, and anyway people would totally fairly spend years complaining about the setup

but usually when people say poo poo like that it's because they've got some specific nonsense idea that they don't want to give up

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

rjmccall posted:

but usually when people say poo poo like that it's because they've got some specific nonsense idea that they don't want to give up

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

like there is serious limits to what science can tell us. theres also real questions as what counts as knowledge and the difference between what we learn from science and what we learn from proofs and whatnot.

99.99999% of people who complain about science not knowing everything or being able to tell us everything have some pet nonsense they think they specially know

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

99.99999% of people who complain about science not knowing everything or being able to tell us everything have some pet nonsense they think they specially know

usually it's about ghosts or ufos, though, and not about computer touching

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Asymmetrikon posted:

usually it's about ghosts or ufos, though, and not about computer touching

that's not been my experience

i mean look at how many people are super confident about static/dynamic typing they seem to have very little rigorous objective evidence about.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

that's not been my experience

it was a bad joke about ridiculous anti-science stuff, sorry

in my experience i run into way more people who use single studies as conclusive proof of their preference's objective superiority ("the benchmark says library x is faster than y, so why would you ever use library y?") than people who just totally reject the concept of being able to test assertions. totally might just be a bubble i'm in, though

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

oh I see that a lot more too

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rjmccall posted:

it is totally reasonable to accept the limitations of formal scientific study

any given study is going to be necessarily limited in scope, and often it will have flaws even within that scope. those caveats do not magically disappear when you aggregate studies, and it is important to understand them when discussing results. we should not be hasty to dismiss apparently-less-rigorous inputs such as lived experiences just because they conflict with the results of a study, especially when the differences seem to match the weaknesses of the study

furthermore, most topics involving human behavior are inherently difficult to study with any rigor. in this instance, what we really want to know is how the choice of programming language affects the development of a project, and specifically to projects like our own. there are a ton of dimensions of that similarity: how long will the current project last, will the code be used in future projects, how many people have worked on this code in the past, are those people still around, how many people are working on it now, how experienced is the current team, are they focused exclusively on this project, how much turnover is there, how well does the team communicate, how stable is their understanding of what the project needs to do, etc. nobody is ever going to run a 2-year study where teams of professional programmers use different programming languages to create and maintain competing products with the same initial spec and changing requirements, and it wouldn't mean much if they did, because there would be so much else going on that the noise would drown out any supposed differences, and anyway people would totally fairly spend years complaining about the setup

more broadly the philosophy of science, and many other philosophical fields, have gotten a very bad deal in the last century. the breakthroughs in the natural sciences that ushered in this era has set up systems and worldviews which give very little time for such more fundamental, and hard to judge, areas. instead there has been a long period of great progress through small incremental discoveries, but it is hugely unclear whether the framework that has set up is even working well anymore

all very interesting to ponder at any rate

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

like there is serious limits to what science can tell us. theres also real questions as what counts as knowledge and the difference between what we learn from science and what we learn from proofs and whatnot.

you put a number in there

what's your sample size, friend?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

quote:

The Unexpected Results From A Hardware Design Contest; Cooley, J

During the expierment, there were a number of issues that made things easier or harder for some subjects. Overall, Verilog users were affected more negatively than VHDL users. The license server for the Verilog simulator crashed. Also, four of the five VHDL subjects were accidentally given six extra minutes. The author had manuals for the wrong logic family available, and one Verilog user spent 10 minutes reading the wrong manual before giving up and using his intuition. One of the Verilog users noted that they passed the wrong version of their code along to be tested and failed because of that. One of the VHDL users hit a bug in the VHDL simulator.
hardware programmers: is this normal?

eda (electronic design automation) tools are shoggothic monstrosities from alien dimensions, byzantine software implementing poo poo languages which were inflicted upon the world by an unholy combination of accident and committee. licenses for these tools can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars per seat per year. despite the expense, bugs and jankiness are common because one of the ways you wring bugs out of complex software is sheer scale -- the more users you have the faster they hit edge cases and report them to you. this is a niche market with a very limited user base so bugs are distressingly common.

also note that the task described in that contest included the hardware equivalent of optimizing the output of your c compiler by looking at the assembly it emits, because that's just what you do. that's what the "logic family manuals" refers to: documents analagous to a super detailed cpu manual complete with detailed timing information for every instruction, except the 'instructions' are far more primitive and the number of variations on a theme can be immense. page after page of slightly different AND gates, each optimized for different tradeoffs between propagation delay, leakage current, and output drive strength. this isn't like a cpu where basically all you need is one integer add instruction

so, yes

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

quote:

BobHoward posted:

hardware programmers: is this normal?

eda (electronic design automation) tools are shoggothic monstrosities from alien dimensions, byzantine software implementing poo poo languages which were inflicted upon the world by an unholy combination of accident and committee. licenses for these tools can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars per seat per year. despite the expense, bugs and jankiness are common because one of the ways you wring bugs out of complex software is sheer scale -- the more users you have the faster they hit edge cases and report them to you. this is a niche market with a very limited user base so bugs are distressingly common.

also note that the task described in that contest included the hardware equivalent of optimizing the output of your c compiler by looking at the assembly it emits, because that's just what you do. that's what the "logic family manuals" refers to: documents analagous to a super detailed cpu manual complete with detailed timing information for every instruction, except the 'instructions' are far more primitive and the number of variations on a theme can be immense. page after page of slightly different AND gates, each optimized for different tradeoffs between propagation delay, leakage current, and output drive strength. this isn't like a cpu where basically all you need is one integer add instruction

so, yes

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ive posted at least one or two rants about how loving garbage the fpga ecosystems are and i assure you every single one is putting it mildly

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i love not working with hardware design any more but still sitting near hardware designers. they spend probably half their time standing around in a group conjecturing about what the synthesis tools will decide to output for relatively trivial blocks of code

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Brain Candy posted:

you put a number in there

what's your sample size, friend?

i cant tell if youre making a joke

by using a ridiculous number like that i was trying to imply that in my experience everyone who has brought up that science doesnt know everything and similar arguments are just trying to defend nonsense

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

i cant tell if youre making a joke

by using a ridiculous number like that i was trying to imply that in my experience everyone who has brought up that science doesnt know everything and similar arguments are just trying to defend nonsense

did you notice how you are defending the certainy of your claim with anecdotal experience? :grin:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

more broadly the philosophy of science, and many other philosophical fields, have gotten a very bad deal in the last century. the breakthroughs in the natural sciences that ushered in this era has set up systems and worldviews which give very little time for such more fundamental, and hard to judge, areas. instead there has been a long period of great progress through small incremental discoveries, but it is hugely unclear whether the framework that has set up is even working well anymore

all very interesting to ponder at any rate

Modern man has brought this whole world to an awe-inspiring threshold of the future. He has reached new and astonishing peaks of scientific success. He has produced machines that think and instruments that peer into the unfathomable ranges of interstellar space. He has built gigantic bridges to span the seas and gargantuan buildings to kiss the skies. His airplanes and spaceships have dwarfed distance, placed time in chains, and carved highways through the stratosphere. This is a dazzling picture of modern man’s scientific and technological progress.

Yet, in spite of these spectacular strides in science and technology, and still unlimited ones to come, something basic is missing. There is a sort of poverty of the spirit which stands in glaring contrast to our scientific and technological abundance. The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly the air like birds and swim the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers.

Every man lives in two realms, the internal and the external. The internal is that realm of spiritual ends expressed in art, literature, morals, and religion. The external is that complex of devices, techniques, mechanisms, and instrumentalities by means of which we live. Our problem today is that we have allowed the internal to become lost in the external. We have allowed the means by which we live to outdistance the ends for which we live. So much of modern life can be summarized in that arresting dictum of the poet Thoreau: “Improved means to an unimproved end.” This is the serious predicament, the deep and haunting problem confronting modern man. If we are to survive today, our moral and spiritual “lag” must be eliminated. Enlarged material powers spell enlarged peril if there is not proportionate growth of the soul. When the “without” of man’s nature subjugates the “within,” dark storm clouds begin to form in the world.

---martin luther king jr

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Java is p deece imo

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

We have learned to fly the air like birds

no we haven't

Lutha Mahtin posted:

and swim the sea like fish,

mmm, nope

Lutha Mahtin posted:

but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers.

yes we have, though as brothers who don't always get along but still, see any big city

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Brain Candy posted:

did you notice how you are defending the certainy of your claim with anecdotal experience? :grin:

no, i'm only confident in my experience not in how it applies to the world.

i'm not even 100% confident that what i perceive as my experience is actually what i have experienced

unfortunately, i have no other evidence upon which to form an opinion. i don't think there's been any studies on people making claims about the end of the scientific method merely to advance their own tightly-held beliefs, so i can only go on my faulty experience so my confidence in this claim is thusly calibrated

anecdotal experience is the exactly correct evidence to use when speaking about what you're experienced

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 17, 2017

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
he's trying to defend his original point that science is not the only way to know things, which you're agreeing with but not agreeing with?

in absence of rigorous studies that often tend to be too small in scale in either sample size or time taken to reach the conclusion, we NEED to be willing to accept experiential evidence if we are willing to change or work on anything.

unfortunately even experiential learning is polluted by a general lack of standards because this field is so varied, so it's gonna take a while before this lack of reliable scientific and experiential evidence is resolved, and even worse, to a degree the scientific method doesn't have a lot to hang onto that ISN'T experiential.

even knowing the metrics you want to get out of a study, knowing what to control and even being able to control for it is so dependant on the test subjects who're part of the experiment being of genuinely equal capability without biases, and considering how wildly variant in capability people are, plus how dependant it can be on the kind of team they're in, where do you go from there.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

yes, when it comes time to make a decision we just have to use the evidence we have no matter what its quality

we also have to be really aware about how confident we should be in what our evidence is telling us

people also become confused about what science can tell us in the hypothetical vs what science can tell us with the constraints we have (money, time, people, ethical considerations)

Anyway i'm not even sure what we're discussing anymore wrt the thread subject.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ThePeavstenator posted:

Java is p deece imo

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Max Facetime posted:

yes we have, though as brothers who don't always get along but still, see any big city

let me black like me your rear end and send you through a major city in a beat out 91 grand am and see if you still think this

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
mods please rename this the empiricism / epistemology megathread

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

also note that the task described in that contest included the hardware equivalent of optimizing the output of your c compiler by looking at the assembly it emits, because that's just what you do

to the point that this is a super-common full time occupation for CE grads, hand-optimizing layouts piece by piece and then verifying that they're still acceptably manufacturable

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
sounds like a job for machine learning™

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

cis autodrag posted:

let me black like me your rear end and send you through a major city in a beat out 91 grand am and see if you still think this

I'm not familiar with this stereotype but I guess we're doomed then

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Max Facetime posted:

I'm not familiar with this stereotype but I guess we're doomed then

an investigative journalist turned his skin black (temporarily) to live as an african-american for a few weeks. he wrote a book about his experience titled Black Like Me
no idea about the 91 grand am

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

rjmccall posted:

nobody is ever going to run a 2-year study where teams of professional programmers use different programming languages to create and maintain competing products with the same initial spec and changing requirements

google seems to do this all the time, so we just need to convince them to use a bit more scientific rigor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hackbunny posted:

an investigative journalist turned his skin black (temporarily) to live as an african-american for a few weeks. he wrote a book about his experience titled Black Like Me
no idea about the 91 grand am

beat up 90s gms are the official car of the ghetto because you can buy em for 500 bux cash and fix them with junk yard parts yourself. they attract police attention. dwb is a crime in most major cities.