Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Blind Rasputin posted:

This is a funny and creative detail but I always wondered about if a destroyer or something was going 30 knots and dropped all their anchors and they hit pay dirt if they just would slam to a stop and it's be badass. In the Fitzgerald case I think they should've fired on the incoming vessel to soften it up and decrease the damage they were about to take.

On average, if a BURKE class destroyer going "all ahead flank 2" slams to "all back flank" they will be dead in the water in around 2 ship lengths (a little over 1000 ft). That may not sound like much, but that's the equivalent of stopping on a dime for a ship.

Dropping the anchor won't do poo poo unless you're in very shallow water and even then the moment it hits the bottom in that scenario you're basically out of control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ManMythLegend posted:

On average, if a BURKE class destroyer going "all ahead flank 2" slams to "all back flank" they will be dead in the water in around 2 ship lengths (a little over 1000 ft). That may not sound like much, but that's the equivalent of stopping on a dime for a ship.

:stare: that's loving insane for anyone not familiar with shipping.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I was the conn through an INSURV cycle and got to drive that motherfucker like I stole it a couple of times a week for a month. It's loving sick. Not only is it a very short distance, it does it very loving fast. DDGs handle loving beautifully if you drive em right.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Two Finger posted:

I assume it's the naval equivalent of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiFDemyVTM0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm42sikiW3Y

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also this. There's a huge loving bolt holding the chain on, but if the chain gets running it's loving gone.

Here's the Tarawa dropping their anchor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7pRfix_sNg

Was this done intentionally?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Here's the Tarawa dropping their anchor.

Ahaha, those giant clouds of rust. I imagine that must ruin uniforms.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Was this done intentionally?

No and this was very bad and costly. One of the brakemen was a foot away from the shackle smacking him in the noggin. IIRC, the dumbass in khakis there kept telling the brakemen to take turns off an already open brake and they jammed it open as a result. They weren't helped at all by poor chain tension readings from the pilothouse.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dead Reckoning posted:

Ahaha, those giant clouds of rust. I imagine that must ruin uniforms.

I think the poo poo in their pants probably took care of that first.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

No and this was very bad and costly. One of the brakemen was a foot away from the shackle smacking him in the noggin. IIRC, the dumbass in khakis there kept telling the brakemen to take turns off an already open brake and they jammed it open as a result. They weren't helped at all by poor chain tension readings from the pilothouse.

Looks like someone who was actually there made a comment on Youtube:

quote:

I have not viewed this video in over a decade. The good news was no one was killed in this incident. This took place in an extremely busy Hong Kong Harbor. I was on the bridge giving the orders during this evolution. The anchor is lowered to the bottom, chain is let out, the brake holds while the flukes are set. Once you are holding, chain is let out. It is the weight of the chain that holds a ship in position. The chain link in this incident gets wedged on the lip of the chain pipe. The brake men released too much brake to get the chain moving. When it finally broke free there was no friction and once the momentum built there was no stopping the chain. Everyone cleared the area quickly and injuries were prevented. The team shifted to the alternate anchor and we anchored quickly and safely. The anchors today are the same as they were in WW II and a replacement came from a mothballed WW II ship. This was a final port visit following a 7 month deployment with operations in East Timor, Somalia, and Kuwait where the crew and embarked Marines performed flawlessly. The guy in khakis with his hands in his pockets was a fresh minted knucklehead baby ensign onboard less than a month. Thanks for posting Haze Gray - That is all!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Two Finger posted:

Hooray for variable pitch propellors.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Stultus Maximus posted:

They could have done all sorts if they knew where the freighter was where it was, but they appeared not to. The destroyer was sub 10000 tons, the freighter was pushing 30k (I can't find a good reference online, dunno if that's for it being heavily loaded or not). They're pretty lucky they got away with that little damage, if that'd been a full on perpendicular hit, well, I'd put my money on the freighter.

E: Ugh yeh, looking stuff up it was about a 4:1 battle in mass terms, the freighter would have simply sunk the destroyer if it'd run into the side of it.

Hexyflexy fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 18, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Destroyers are CPP??? I would have thought fixed but I guess you need the flexibility

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Random civvie posting but I remembered something relevant wrt ships braking; the Iowa class battleships could flip their rudders 90 degree inward to create a gigantic underwater airbrake. According to the source, this did deform the rudders by 2-3cm the one time it was used but it stopped the ship in less than it's own length.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

Random civvie posting but I remembered something relevant wrt ships braking; the Iowa class battleships could flip their rudders 90 degree inward to create a gigantic underwater airbrake. According to the source, this did deform the rudders by 2-3cm the one time it was used but it stopped the ship in less than it's own length.

I don't know if that's true (another non-military person here), but it sounds about right. Stopping motion is a very different proposition to carefully changing course. In option 1, you kill all momentum, bam, dead in the water, stopped, hire some welders. In option 2 you have to carefully note where you are, where everything else is, and try to steer around with minimal energy expenditure. They hosed that up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Two Finger posted:

Destroyers are CPP??? I would have thought fixed but I guess you need the flexibility

CPP owns.

Hexyflexy posted:

They could have done all sorts if they knew where the freighter was where it was, but they appeared not to. The destroyer was sub 10000 tons, the freighter was pushing 30k (I can't find a good reference online, dunno if that's for it being heavily loaded or not). They're pretty lucky they got away with that little damage, if that'd been a full on perpendicular hit, well, I'd put my money on the freighter.

E: Ugh yeh, looking stuff up it was about a 4:1 battle in mass terms, the freighter would have simply sunk the destroyer if it'd run into the side of it.

From my understanding it almost did.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

suboptimal posted:

Hey, here's some good news- Sheriff Shithead David Clarke is withdrawing from that DHS position that was offered to him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.5dec2ee0f53e

:yeah:

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

CPP owns.

From my understanding it almost did.

Ouch.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

milk milk lemonade posted:

Looks like someone who was actually there made a comment on Youtube:

Possible in the all-time top 10 of actually worthwhile youtube comments.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
WSJ is reporting that they found the seven sailors.

No surprise really.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/876255612669177856

Edited post, confirmed RIP: https://twitter.com/COMNAVFORJAPAN/status/876258988249063424

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 18, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

so uh, NK returned that American prisoner--that stole the propaganda sign--brain dead? What I miss?

The dude made some extremely poor choices: even against the advice of most. He's the embodiment of the white bro that would disregard warnings and do such a thing, but he didn't deserve that :ohdear:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Last I heard was it looked like brain damage from oxygen starvation.

Oh, and a Navy destroyer collided with a cargo ship, killing seven sailors and injuring a bunch more and probably would've gone to the bottom if not for some heroic damage control.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Caro did it better.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Godholio posted:

Last I heard was it looked like brain damage from oxygen starvation.

Oh, and a Navy destroyer collided with a cargo ship, killing seven sailors and injuring a bunch more and probably would've gone to the bottom if not for some heroic damage control.

Yeah, been following the latter via fb, somehow just saw the first one

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

so uh, NK returned that American prisoner--that stole the propaganda sign--brain dead? What I miss?

The dude made some extremely poor choices: even against the advice of most. He's the embodiment of the white bro that would disregard warnings and do such a thing, but he didn't deserve that :ohdear:

nah, gently caress 'em. there are plenty of people in hosed up situations not of their own choosing that deserve sympathy and help but going to north korea and stealing ain't one.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

wtf is a white bro?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Hexyflexy posted:

They could have done all sorts if they knew where the freighter was where it was, but they appeared not to.

Thats the thing I really don't understand. Sure the freighter might have been doing some spinning circles waiting for a harbor pilot and tug but you don't just miss a radar return off a GIANT transport. The track might not have made sense to a casual glance, but there is a big loving object there worth maybe avoiding.

Literally everyone had to be passed out.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Two Finger posted:

All CRUDES ships are CPP.

Edit: Or water jet if you want to call LCS a CRUDES ship.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

wtf is a white bro?

The bad guys in Revenge of the Nerds.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Laranzu posted:

Thats the thing I really don't understand. Sure the freighter might have been doing some spinning circles waiting for a harbor pilot and tug but you don't just miss a radar return off a GIANT transport. The track might not have made sense to a casual glance, but there is a big loving object there worth maybe avoiding.

Literally everyone had to be passed out.

The cargo ship was not actually doing circles. AIS is not reliable for tracking what a ship is doing without another source. Likewise it wasn't doing just shy of 19 knots.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

The cargo ship was not actually doing circles. AIS is not reliable for tracking what a ship is doing without another source. Likewise it wasn't doing just shy of 19 knots.

What would a cargo ship doing 19kts in circles even look like? Capsized, i'd imagine.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

What would a cargo ship doing 19kts in circles even look like? Capsized, i'd imagine.

dunno, but I do know what the ship it hits would look like :v

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

orange juche posted:

probably have a decent heel on but i doubt it'd be past 15 degrees or so

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

While I'm going to claim that AIS tracks are infallible I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss that it was doing close to 18kts. I've seen ships that size pulling over 20 and 15 to 18 is the transit speed I normally see out here.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

While I'm going to claim that AIS tracks are infallible I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss that it was doing close to 18kts. I've seen ships that size pulling over 20 and 15 to 18 is the transit speed I normally see out here.

The report i saw said close to 19kt. That's what seemed out of the ordinary for me. Anytime i saw a tanker or merchant going over 16 knots it was smooth ocean and they were hauling rear end.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Thats basically what I was saying. If the AIS reported track doesn't make sense, but you have a huge no poo poo radar return you are closing on then there is something out there you should think about avoiding. Or waking up the lookout to see if there are running lights.

Edit: Yeah most cargo I've tracked was doing 15-16kt or so and that was open ocean.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Ya even years ago regular merchant traffic went at around 10-16kts. They want fuel efficiency. Some of the newer (late 90s) ships were getting 5 bladed screws and would hit around 18kts at most. In that busy area I doubt they would be at a high transit speed.

edit : I tracked a LOT of merchant ships. We would even do ranging on them in sonar for practice by using sliderule wheels and simple formulas using bearing rate.

ded fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 18, 2017

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I'm telling you guys, a lot of the traffic out here is going faster then you think it is, especially the newer ones that aren't fully laden. I've watched big container ships pulling over 15 knots right up to the sea buoys of some of the entrance channels of these ports. It's crazy

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Maybe the skippers are under more pressure now or something. Thats dangerous poo poo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's not uncommon at all. From a merchant perspective, 18 might be on the high side but it's absolutely not unheard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr. Nice! posted:

AIS is not reliable for tracking what a ship is doing without another source.

Why is this still the case?

• Locked thread