Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I do like the idea that it isn't an act insofar as even Missy doesn't seem to know what's going on. I liked that conversation at the end, with "Maybe it's some sort of devious plan.." "Yes, that's better, that sounds like me..." It could be going for a direct parallel with John Simm - John's Master was driven insane by drums, Missy is being driven into a corner by finally hearing the music of the universe.

Spoiled as it only ended a few minutes ago, thinking of the thread readers who DVR'd it for later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

My amazing theory is that Missy is actually a past incarnation of the Master - the one before Derek Jacobi. John Simms turns up to tell Missy she is poo poo and he's sickened by her new nice attitude, he kills her and she regenerates into Derek Jacobi who is then taken by John Simms, brainwashed, and dumped into the far future.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Not going to be able to watch for a few days, is this a standalone ep or is it "part 1" of the finale like Face The Raven?

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I want a whole season of the Doctor letting the Master have adventures instead of him and then grading her. What a fantastic idea.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

2house2fly posted:

Not going to be able to watch for a few days, is this a standalone ep or is it "part 1" of the finale like Face The Raven?

Standalone, but adds to last episodes metaplot setup. BTW This is precisely why I get ludicrous about using spoiler blocks :v:.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

RoboJoe posted:

My amazing theory is that Missy is actually a past incarnation of the Master - the one before Derek Jacobi. John Simms turns up to tell Missy she is poo poo and he's sickened by her new nice attitude, he kills her and she regenerates into Derek Jacobi who is then taken by John Simms, brainwashed, and dumped into the far future.

That won't happen as Big Finish are doing a "War Master" series with Jacobi, and they tend to coordinate with the BBC.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqtl_eVljg8
"Give us a kiss."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD71_U1q25w

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I liked it! I also have a soft spot for that type of story and resolution, though.

e. "World Enough and Time" is from the first line of a famous Andrew Marvell, poem, fwiw, entitled "To His Coy Mistress." This is the first Marvellian reference in Doctor Who since Shada.

Anyway, it's a seventeenth-century carpe diem seduction lyric which makes the case that immortals could take forever in their courtship, but mortals need to make the most of their time - "we cannot make our sun / stand still, yet we will make him run." The allusion suggests some kind of friendship (not necessarily erotic) between The Doctor and Missy, after an eternity of "coyness".

Spoilered my summary of the poem because I realized that it makes a strong prediction about what's happening in the next two episodes, given what has happened in the last two.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 17, 2017

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I don't quite get the resolution.
They made a big point that they had been periodically sending in warriors when the portal opened to hold them off, and letting it open was a good thing as it "released the pressure, stopping it ripping it's self apart.
Then it gets buried and all is good.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Soooo, looks like the Doctor is training Missy as his replacement. That's one way of getting around the whole regeneration limit.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think the idea is that because time moves more slowly on the other side of the portal, everyone there will be fighting for their entire lives. Say that through some weird miracle they live a full lifespan, that's a good 60-years their time fighting (we'll assume that they can find food and other required things, just suspend disbelief and say that the warriors can war for a while) For the Doctor in the portal it was a few seconds - everyone else 2 days had passed. If we simplify the maths and assume that 1 day our time =10 seconds their time, 6 days pass in a minute, and a year passes in 3600 seconds, or less than three days. Expand those three days to a year their time, it becomes 120 years on earth for every year they live in the other realm keeping the monsters at bay. Given 60 years of life they'll last at least a good 7.2 thousand years fighting them off, long enough for something else to be thought up. Better that than the few hundred years t could take for the portal to tear wide open after becoming unstable.

Responding to Mr Beens

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Is it bad that I really want Missy not to be faking?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Greyhawk posted:

Soooo, looks like the Doctor is training Missy as his replacement. That's one way of getting around the whole regeneration limit.

there is no regeneration limit any more, it's a boring plot and has therefore been discarded.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It would be amusing if Missy ended up killing the John Simm Master. Just shooting him in the back in the middle of his Master plan and saying "I can't believe I was ever that much of a weenie! Seriously I'm embarrassed I ever was him...Pathetic man really, feel kinda sorry for me..."

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Some really nice moments this episode. Like Bill figuring out that the Tardis translates languages and even does lip syncing. Nardole is also still great:

N: "What could do that?"
D: "Complete and total absence of any kind of sunlight."
N: "Huh, death by Scotland."

edit: The casual use of popcorn as a distraction was also nicely old school.

And More fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 17, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Death by Scotland made me laugh, I have to admit.

Also, I can get colonised by the Romans at any time. :allears:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked the Doctor basically giving the Picts the Full Malcolm Tucker treatment (although child friendly :P) when they tried to hold him hostage:

"Wait, Listen! Ssshhh! Listen!, do you hear that? That's the sound of my patience shattering into a million pieces!" *immediately takes control*.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

there is no regeneration limit any more, it's a boring plot and has therefore been discarded.

It really shouldn't have been a boring plot, and the only reason it was thrown away the way it was was because Moffat screwed the pooch, after artificially moving the Doctor forward two regenerations just so he could deal with it.

The Doctor at the end of his life is a fantastic story engine that has a lot of potential.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
So that crow was saying 'Master' to Nardole, right? Was it warning for the Master in the Tardis, or just saying hi to another reincarnation of him?

Baron von der Loon fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 18, 2017

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I think it was saying "monster", because the monster was approaching.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, subtitles have it saying monster.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Oh... hummmm... well.... *coughs*

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
I heard "Valeyard" and it was signifying they're finally breaking the Valeyard back.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Disappointed by the lack of a Keymaster.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Brett824 posted:

I heard "Valeyard" and it was signifying they're finally breaking the Valeyard back.

How long until someone says "I heard valeyard is an old english way of saying lawyer"?

dark_archon
Jan 11, 2008
TITLE TEXT!
I'm tired of having Bill's sexuality shoehorned into every single episode. I get it. She likes girls. So do I. Duh. This time it didn't even have any bearing on the plot. You don't build a character by having said character describe who they are. Their actions are supposed to tell their story.

Can't wait to see the subtly defined vegan vaper companion next season.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

More Blueish people next episode? :woop:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I hope when the Simm Master comes back we get his theme, that crescendo of shrieking, specifically at :32 in this video. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDpdB3MO9nU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

dark_archon posted:

I'm tired of having Bill's sexuality shoehorned into every single episode. I get it. She likes girls. So do I. Duh. This time it didn't even have any bearing on the plot. You don't build a character by having said character describe who they are. Their actions are supposed to tell their story.

Okay I'm gonna do some quick recollection and math here to prove you wrong, just because I feel like it.

The Pilot: Basically all about 'this character is a lesbian' in a way that's hard to ignore but also could easily have been done with a heterosexual pair.
Smile: Doesn't come up, doesn't matter.
Thin Ice: Doesn't come up, doesn't matter. The fact that she's a black woman sure does, though.
Knock Knock: Used to knock back a straight dude and to kind of explain why she wanted to be near another girl. Other than that, has no plot bearing.
Oxygen: Doesn't come up, doesn't matter.
Extremis: Date with Penny gets interrupted by the Pope. But that's just something she's doing that gets interrupted.
The Pyramid at the End of the World: Date with Penny gets interrupted by the UN. But that's just something she's doing that gets interrupted.
Lie of the Land: Doesn't come up, doesn't matter.
Empress of Mars: Doesn't come up, doesn't matter. But the fact she's a woman gives her a bit of leverage in dealing with the Ice Queen.
The Eaters of Light: Used to knock back a bisexual dude. Other than that, has no plot bearing.

So, of ten episodes it comes up in half of them, but in two is only used to defuse a guy who's into her, and of the other three all include a romantic interest for Bill, but only one of which gets more than one scene in the episode.

Sorry to entirely dismantle your lovely viewpoint about a character, but it's objectively wrong!

So this episode! Pretty cute, I liked most all of it and how the translation matrix actually gets to be a plot point rather than a way to explain away Boring Problems; the sonic screwdriver's had plenty of times it's been allowed to, nice to see one of the others get its due. But, yeah, I'm just excited about the next episode, which is kinda sad. The entire episode got overshadowed by the brief preview.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 18, 2017

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Astroman posted:

I hope when the Simm Master comes back we get his theme, that crescendo of shrieking, specifically at :32 in this video. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDpdB3MO9nU

I've not seen that since it aired. God, the cuts are so fast in that. It makes it feel so different. I hope that Master theme gets revisited - I think it is very effective. Much more than the Cyberman leitmotif/motif (I don't know what that little ditty actually is in music theory).

Anyway, for real life reasons, I've caught up on episodes 2 to 10 this weekend. It has been generally, very good but episodes 6 - 8 felt like Moffat back on his bullshit (and also RTD's). (I know Moffat didn't write all of that.) All neat concepts tied together worse than a Scout's first knot lesson. Capaldi and Mackie have been electric together at times though. It'll be sad to see them go.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

dark_archon posted:

This is a very dumb criticism. Every heterosexual character in Doctor Who (and in most shows) gets to just be heterosexual without any additional scrutiny about what their sexuality contributes to the plot. Why does a homosexual character have an additional burden to justify any mention of their sexuality?

Also I found this inclusion of Bill's sexuality as completely relevant, given how different Romans were about sexuality in comparison to the modern West.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Aw, come on, is no one going to complain about the black romans? Then someone who has looked at a map or something can smugly point out that Italy is just a quick boat ride from africa. It'll be great!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Nice little bottle episode. One of those 'and that's how it happened!' stories with no agenda but entertainment.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There were a shitton of "agendas" at work in this one. Anti-imperialism, a discussion of how norms and categories for sexual and romantic attraction differed across time and cultures...

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

DoctorWhat posted:

There were a shitton of "agendas" at work in this one. Anti-imperialism, a discussion of how norms and categories for sexual and romantic attraction differed across time and cultures...

Not that kind of an agenda. A storytelling agenda. Like, no major series-long narrative was involved.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Nice little bottle episode. One of those 'and that's how it happened!' stories with no agenda but entertainment.

You mean "bottle episode" to be standalone, right?

Bottle episode's more of an industry term, to refer to an episode that's cheap, and uses those budgetary restraints as formal scripting restraints.

e.g. The Edge Of Destruction, or pretty much any episode where everyone is stuck at their homebase and then menaced by a cheap invisible monster or something.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Doctor / Companion-light episodes are the closest the show gets to true bottle episodes.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

Aw, come on, is no one going to complain about the black romans? Then someone who has looked at a map or something can smugly point out that Italy is just a quick boat ride from africa. It'll be great!

Like I said last week, I found the idea of black Romans far more plausible than mixed units of black and white Victorian Army regulars. Particularly as the Empire went on and they relied on non -Italian troops more. :shrug:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Rome very probably had black emperors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BioEnchanted posted:

It would be amusing if Missy ended up killing the John Simm Master. Just shooting him in the back in the middle of his Master plan and saying "I can't believe I was ever that much of a weenie! Seriously I'm embarrassed I ever was him...Pathetic man really, feel kinda sorry for me..."

Doctor: But of course you knew that was going to happen, because you already had it done to you from the other side of the equation when you were him.
Missy: Actually we never met..... v:shobon:v

Edit: Big Finish is doing a Scottish sale on Big Finish for this week's episode, but the jokes on them, I already own the main range titles on sale this week and I've owned all the main range titles on sale for the last few weeks!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 18, 2017

• Locked thread