Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

They couldn't bother to release an adventure? Man that's terrible, even for Paizo.

It's a preview document for a system that isn't even out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I got pretty lucky; we have a smallish FLGS within ten minutes' drive of us, and their table was still decently stocked by the time we got there at 1:30, although there was exactly one die left and the stacks of the most obviously flashy stuff were dwindling. I'm assuming the big local nerd hub was skeletonized within a half-hour of opening, if that late.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So nobody showed up for either of my demos (or really, at all), but at least I got a bunch of stuff. Torg, TimeWatch/13th Age, Runequest, Through the Breach, Borderhounds, DCC, and Starfinder (admittedly Just Because). Oh, and I got the one-per-box die cup.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Arivia posted:

As a preview of the system it's useless.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Arivia posted:

Isn't "preview document for unreleased system, containing quickstart rules and a basic sample adventure" a staple of Free RPG Day? Paizo is a company that built its brand on canned adventures. Surely it wouldn't be a major undertaking for them to throw together a few pages of rules primer and a few pages of Space Orc and Space Pie, In Space for people to test the system with.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maybe they're behind schedule and couldn't get their poo poo together in time.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

Isn't "preview document for unreleased system, containing quickstart rules and a basic sample adventure" a staple of Free RPG Day?
Technically yes, but every year there's at least one product that isn't any sort of preview at all; last year one thing was a comic about people in the setting gearing up to play the game, and you just...read them playing the game. It's a nice way to present a system, but not as a limited promo item. Especially since it's not something you can actually play.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Origins was fun. Got my first set of dice, got to play Fung Shui 2 as GMed by Cam Banks.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Just saw the gamestop-but-not store just north of my apartment has closed down. Guess there wasn't a lot of demand for a bunch of random old Genesis/SNES/PS1 games, several racks of straight to DVD movies from the late 90s/2000s, and a pile of magic cards sorted by the order they were acquired in. They had a magic night (not an official FNM or anything) but the format was, to quote the in-store flyer, "legacy, no infinite combos or unfun decks" which shockingly didn't draw a lot of people!

I swear, some of these game shops are trying to fail in record time.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
For me the truly baffling notion is having Free RPG Day the same weekend as Origins this year. While Origins isn't exactly GenCon, it's grown a lot despite the efforts of its organizers. :v:

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

For me the truly baffling notion is having Free RPG Day the same weekend as Origins this year. While Origins isn't exactly GenCon, it's grown a lot despite the efforts of its organizers. :v:

Funny in the way you phrase that, since I´ve taken part in organizing smaller cons in my past, I´ve actually learned that, yes, some decisions are actually made with the target of getting fewer people to come because the general quality of the product you offer is so high that you cannot afford to be overrun by the masses that would otherwise decide to enter your domain. Sounds silly, still holds true. Of course, I´ve known some conventions that were so successful in doing this up to a certain point, that they then suddenly imploded because the whales broke away and left the organizers broke...

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I went by the local gaming store in Portland while I was on vacation and found, to my surprise, a used copy of Amber Diceless that appears to be in perfect mint condition.

How does that even exist?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

To sort of defend it, there could be some fun to be had there if the typing system was complex enough and if you encountered the same type of enemies often enough to make predictions and guesses.

Like "hmm, these plant zombies are taking normal damage from my Holy Bolt, which is a Divine Piercing Fire attack. Plants generally take extra damage from fire, so the Zombie template must resist Piercing, Fire, or Divine. Somebody try a Fire Burst or Fire Slashing type attack on it!"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Rand Brittain posted:

I went by the local gaming store in Portland while I was on vacation and found, to my surprise, a used copy of Amber Diceless that appears to be in perfect mint condition.

I know I picked up a copy in the early to mid oughts that was also mint condition. These sort of things just happen.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Add elemental absorption and repel to make TRPG combat work like SMT games

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Kwyndig posted:

I know I picked up a copy in the early to mid oughts that was also mint condition. These sort of things just happen.

There used to be a store in the KC area called Monty's Books that was perfect for this sort of thing. It was a hole in the wall used book store/consignment shop that for some reason had a relatively large amount of space dedicated to RPGs. He had a seriously amazing collection of used RPGs that most of time were in surprisingly good condition. I remember finding a mint copy of the old WEG Star Trek game there.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Pretty much the only shops in my area are MTG or Warham based. There used to be one with a good boardgame selection but he was cash only and recently changed his hours to "by appointment" the RPG scene is dead as far as I can tell. If it isn't Pathfinder or 3.5 you can't find it at Books A Million

where you at cause i got nothing that i know of within a half hour of me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Elfgames posted:

where you at cause i got nothing that i know of within a half hour of me.

The Canton area. There's​ Wings, Wheels and Waves in Massillon and Universal Comics and Freedom Games in North Canton.

There was an auto body shop that also did a ton of Warhams but I don't remember the street or know if they still do it

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

The Canton area. There's​ Wings, Wheels and Waves in Massillon and Universal Comics and Freedom Games in North Canton.

There was an auto body shop that also did a ton of Warhams but I don't remember the street or know if they still do it

yeah i'm in the middle of nowhere so that's like amazing to me

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/876261475748241408

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/876266444345888768

I hate certain people in the TG industry with the force of a thousand suns

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've always wanted to try the World of Darkness but things like that always​ kept me from it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Burn it to the loving ground, burn it all.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Len posted:

I've always wanted to try the World of Darkness but things like that always​ kept me from it.

The 20th Anniversary Editions are…better, though they still have poo poo like magical thieving gypsies and poo poo. There is no hope for 5th Edition.

Chronicles of Darkness is pretty good, though. Unless your interest was the insane metaplot, you should check it out.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

You can also feed off child refugees for sick buffs

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Wow, it's like Hite thought the request to make the new Vampire game socially conscious was sarcastic. Who would have thought hiring a crusty conservative designer would result in a book that reads grumpy?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh hey, was it Guardian Games? I was there today too. :V they have lots of poo poo like that.

For free RPG day I got a copy of RuneQuest Glorantha which my buddy is really excited about so I'm looking forward to him running that at some point.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Reene posted:

Oh hey, was it Guardian Games? I was there today too. :V they have lots of poo poo like that.

For free RPG day I got a copy of RuneQuest Glorantha which my buddy is really excited about so I'm looking forward to him running that at some point.

I was at Guardian Games two months ago while visiting Portland. Got some hilarious nonsense for my show. Some Scottish transhuman thing called A State, and a lovely copy of whatever the hell Gear Krieg is.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, that's where I was. If you remember a startlingly handsome fellow constantly bumping into things, that was probably me.

It's really quite large compared to any other gaming store I've seen.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if Fall of Delta Green is going to have any "and we would have won in Vietnam if it weren't for the liberals holding us back" undertones.

Or overtones, for that matter.

theironjef posted:

I was at Guardian Games two months ago while visiting Portland. Got some hilarious nonsense for my show. Some Scottish transhuman thing called A State, and a lovely copy of whatever the hell Gear Krieg is.

Gear Krieg is miniatures wargaming for the Heavy Gear universe.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

theironjef posted:

I won a copy of A State as a con door prize years ago, and I've never even heard of anyone else having a copy. It's good that I didn't hallucinate that game, although perhaps better that I remember very little about it and never played/ran it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wonder if Fall of Delta Green is going to have any "and we would have won in Vietnam if it weren't for the liberals holding us back" undertones.

Gear Krieg is miniatures wargaming for the Heavy Gear universe.

Actually Gear Krieg is something else entirely, it's basically a Weird War 2 setting focused on mechs

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I have a copy of A|State which I bought years ago but I've never played it. I'm told its very good but it always seemed to have the 'but what do you do?' issue.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

drrockso20 posted:

Actually Gear Krieg is something else entirely, it's basically a Weird War 2 setting focused on mechs

Same people, though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

senrath posted:

Same people, though.

I'm aware, shame it gets no love from Dream Pod 9 when compared to either Heavy Gear or Jovian Chronicles

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

I'm aware, shame it gets no love from Dream Pod 9 when compared to either Heavy Gear or Jovian Chronicles

wehraboos and Actual Nazis

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

theironjef posted:

A|State isn't really a "transhuman" game exactly, it's basically a pseudo-Dickensian cyberpunk without as much cyber set in a sprawling, nameless city. There are megacorps with railguns and microfighter-jets piloted by child soldiers but the vast bulk of the game is focused on people in the gutters with flintlock pistols and shivs, brewing algae beer and eating dogmeat. Potatocubed has the right of it in that it's one of those games where the first thing you have to do is figure out what exactly it is you're going to do with it because it just kind of delivers the setting to you but I don't recall much in the way of immediately compelling hooks.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'll be perfectly honest, I have no idea if this new White Wolf thing is going to dredge up some side of him I've never known about before but has always been lurking under the surface but I've never really associated Ken Hite with lovely neoconservatism before.

drrockso20 posted:

Gear Krieg came out at a point in time when DP9 was on its last legs as a game publisher for a while, they've since rebounded somewhat with the latest Heavy Gear Blitz line but once upon a time they were a fairly significant RPG and wargame publisher, the Heavy Gear line had dozens of sourcebooks, but things tapered off and they underwent the typical staff shrinkages that you'd expect. It didn't help matters really that Gear Krieg itself isn't fantastically interesting, it really is just "what if someone invented clunky mechs in WWII, oh and maybe some other basic weird science staples like jetpacks and Nazi zombies." As a Weird War II style setting it's all very bland and been-there-done-that. The mech designs aren't that interesting either tbh so, I mean, there you go.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
EDIT:

In retrospect this was a really stupid post for me to make, and I withdraw it, and I'm sorry I wrote it. The quote is going to stand witness to my dumbass kneejerk posting.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 18, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Len posted:

NWoD / Chronicles of Darkness (same thing) is great, just stay away from Beast.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I hadn't even known he was behind this work up until just today, which was also the time I found out he was apparently a Ted Cruz supporter?

I guess there's always been that undercurrent of him having worked with/for Lamentations of the Flame Princess, except we keep giving him the benefit of the doubt because the rest of his batting average for stuff that's not obviously poo poo has been good.

Vincent Baker wrote an adventure for LoFP and he's not particularly conservative at all.

Hite is a mainstream Republican with a libertarian bent, and specifically labels himself as a pre-Goldwater republican, but his politics very rarely come into play in any of his stuff (even in his columns where he made his name Suppressed Transmission) and he's worked along side/been supportive of far more progressive/left wing designers, like Emily Care Boss, Robin Laws etc. than the Legend of Flame Princess authors were conservative/horrible.

Given the tone and content of everything he's written before it's highly unlikely he was responsible for writing the specific examples from the new Vampire book. (He's mentioned that the "triggered" text is mechanical and not final, but not said he wrote it).

Unless you can't live with conservatives at all, Hite is p. much the type of conservative you can live with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Len posted:

Nobody in the WoD thread likes this either.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I hadn't even known he was behind this work up until just today, which was also the time I found out he was apparently a Ted Cruz supporter?

I guess there's always been that undercurrent of him having worked with/for Lamentations of the Flame Princess, except we keep giving him the benefit of the doubt because the rest of his batting average for stuff that's not obviously poo poo has been good.

You have literally no idea what you're talking about, but keep on keeping on I guess.

• Locked thread