Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Shouldnt Mr. Wrench be really old in this show?

It only takes place 4 years after season 1, so...no? He was a little kid in 1979, so he was born in the early '70s probably, which would put him in his late 30s in season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
So four years have passed but he didn't bother to learn how to talk? Doesn't really make sense.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Work Friend Keven posted:

So four years have passed but he didn't bother to learn how to talk? Doesn't really make sense.
I bet when he talks, it'll be with Mike's voice and he'll say, "I acquit!"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Work Friend Keven posted:

So four years have passed but he didn't bother to buy a new jacket? Doesn't really make sense.

Fixed it for you.

Those tassels. That fringe.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
The season is good but why the gently caress do they have to focus on Vargas disgusting teeth? It's just grating and doesn't add anything.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Not a Chekov's plot hole. Good jackets can easily last 4 years and more

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

AbstractNapper posted:

I agree with all of this. Down to Mary Elizabeth Winstead being the hottest.

Chief Deputy Burgle is a very pretty lady indeed, but Nikki Swango has stolen my heart. :allears:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I get the android allegory, but I need Gloria to do something in this last episode, even if it's just tearing Winnie away from her husband and running away to live happily ever after. Her position is completely believable, but it's also frustratingly bad television. The end of "The Law of Vacant Places," makes it seem like Gloria is going to tear this town apart in her search for justice, but I can't think of any real impact she's had on the events so far.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Oh sure it can last that long. But should it?

I get it, though. That first glimpse of fringe sure got my attention at the end of episode 7.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Somberbrero posted:

I get the android allegory, but I need Gloria to do something in this last episode, even if it's just tearing Winnie away from her husband and running away to live happily ever after. Her position is completely believable, but it's also frustratingly bad television. The end of "The Law of Vacant Places," makes it seem like Gloria is going to tear this town apart in her search for justice, but I can't think of any real impact she's had on the events so far.

You are right, but on the other hand I can also appreciate subverting the standard narrative of the cop show like that. It's very Noah Hawley too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And it fits with the machine that doesn't do anything.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Gloria may well end up accomplishing nothing. they've certainly been telegraphing it all season long. it's a misdirect. you assume the lady cop is the hero like the film or season one, but she isn't. you assume that the two identical brothers thing is going lead up to something climactic, but one of them is accidentally killed half way through the run. they've been leading us on and then pulling the rug out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I own a red vinyl jacket that is older than I am and is in perfect shape still. Jackets are freaking magic, man.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

precision posted:

I fully believe that him and Nikki are going to become Coen Universe Batman and Robin
I hope its significant that the old Mr Numbers and Mr Wrench theme was updated a little bit when Nikki joins him in the carnage this episode. (Most obvious is its a little slower)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Carrie Coon's the Tommy Lee Jones character from No Country, which means Nikki's going to share the same fate as Llewelyn.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

The season is good but why the gently caress do they have to focus on Vargas disgusting teeth? It's just grating and doesn't add anything.

I dunno, it's pretty informative of who he is. For the ordinary person, having teeth that bad would be very painful and they'd probably do something about it. That he doesn't show any of that is a short cut to show us how focused he is on whatever it is he's doing at the moment.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

My Lovely Horse posted:

And it fits with the machine that doesn't do anything.

I get that, but it kinda sucks to watch a character who has no impact on the plot.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

JazzFlight posted:

I bet when he talks, it'll be with Mike's voice and he'll say, "I acquit!"

This joke is so cold and dead that the GBS Mount Everest mock thread could jerk off to a picture to it for six years.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm watching the documentary on pyramid scheme Herbalife and I'm pretty sure Varga is based on the president of that, he has weird nasty pointy broken teeth, nightmare teeth

It's on Netflix called Betting on Zero

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

uber_stoat posted:

Gloria may well end up accomplishing nothing. they've certainly been telegraphing it all season long. it's a misdirect. you assume the lady cop is the hero like the film or season one, but she isn't. you assume that the two identical brothers thing is going lead up to something climactic, but one of them is accidentally killed half way through the run. they've been leading us on and then pulling the rug out.

I'd rather a misdirect lead to something more interesting than what I thought was going to happen, not less interesting.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

precision posted:

I'm watching the documentary on pyramid scheme Herbalife and I'm pretty sure Varga is based on the president of that, he has weird nasty pointy broken teeth, nightmare teeth

It's on Netflix called Betting on Zero

I'd rather drink out of Varga's cup than put Herbalife in my body

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Chief Deputy Burgle is a very pretty lady indeed, but Nikki Swango has stolen my heart. :allears:

I'd spoon with Burgle, but shower or hot tub with Swango.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Sighs for Sy...

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Fog Tripper posted:

I'd spoon with Burgle, but shower or hot tub with Swango.

I'd definitely take a vacation to L.A. with Gloria Burgle. Even if I had to fight off Officer Mac at the nightclub.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Final scene will be Nikki and Gloria eating cream pie.

:quagmire:

Wanna Burgle that Swango

So which books were leaked to the auditor? Gonna assume the real ones. Maybe Sy woke up?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fog Tripper posted:

So which books were leaked to the auditor? Gonna assume the real ones. Maybe Sy woke up?

It's the poo poo Nikki and Numbers stole -- their entire deal this episode was a feint. It's why they Numbers left Meemo alive, and Nikki was so open about their play. They're luring Vargas into a false sense of security.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Metropolis posted:

I'd rather a misdirect lead to something more interesting than what I thought was going to happen, not less interesting.

I feel like in that case you might not enjoy many of the Coen Brothers films

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's the poo poo Nikki and Numbers stole -- their entire deal this episode was a feint. It's why they Numbers left Meemo alive, and Nikki was so open about their play. They're luring Vargas into a false sense of security.

idk i think varga wants emmit to take the fall for them. hes going to be a billionaire in numbers but varga walks away with all the cash.

i get a really weird feeling like the villain is supposed to win in this season.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Can someone explain the love for Carrie Coon? She plays a good middle aged mom/cop in Fargo but I don't see what is making people go, "Oh I started watching because of Carrie Coon". Besides Leftovers is there something I'm missing here?

She's a good actress but I'm guessing I missed a few Bryan Cranston-esque shows/movies from her? I never even heard of her before Fargo this season.

I'm not being sarcastic at all, I feel like I've missed a Walter White type performance and I'd love to watch it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Barreft posted:

Can someone explain the love for Carrie Coon? She plays a good middle aged mom/cop in Fargo but I don't see what is making people go, "Oh I started watching because of Carrie Coon". Besides Leftovers is there something I'm missing here?

She's a good actress but I'm guessing I missed a few Bryan Cranston-esque shows/movies from her? I never even heard of her before Fargo this season.

I'm not being sarcastic at all, I feel like I've missed a Walter White type performance and I'd love to watch it.

For my part it's her Leftovers performance, which is really phenomenal. While I had high hopes for this season of Fargo in part due to her casting, they really haven't (or hadn't by the time I stopped watching) given her much to do.

Basically Leftovers is the "Walter White type performance," at least in terms of showing off her chops.

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 18, 2017

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Why wouldn't Emmitt tell Gloria about Varga?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Because he's intimidated. Varga's done an effective job convincing Emmitt that he's basically untouchable, omniscient, and invincible.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Carrie Coon was also pretty good in Gone Girl.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I like this show but I'm getting tired of "half the people in Minnesota are retards ("Hey, I think he pooped a little!")", "renegade couple", and "sympathetic main character cop is oppressed by shithead egotrip cop causing them to have to work harder to prove they're right" plot points/devices.

In spite of that, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Carrie Coon are brilliant in this. Varga's actor is awesome at what he does, too.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

try the new taco place posted:

Carrie Coon was also pretty good in Gone Girl.

You should watch the leftovers

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Barreft posted:

You should watch The Leftovers. Not only is it a great show but Carrie Coon is fantastic in her role as Nora.

e: she's also very cool
https://twitter.com/carriecoon/status/874099167186079744

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 19, 2017

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Still one episode left for someone to get a thumb up their rear end.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't know how to feel knowing Carrie Coon is only like two years older than me.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

I like this show but I'm getting tired of "half the people in Minnesota are retards ("Hey, I think he pooped a little!")", "renegade couple", and "sympathetic main character cop is oppressed by shithead egotrip cop causing them to have to work harder to prove they're right" plot points/devices.

In spite of that, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Carrie Coon are brilliant in this. Varga's actor is awesome at what he does, too.

Yeah, I gotta agree. Fargo pretty much milked the whole "gormless, naive and outright dumb Midwestern hicks get ran circles around by more sophisticated and intelligent outsiders" plot concept dry before this season even started. I was hoping they'd go in another direction with the unbelievably over-the-top characterizations this season, but, if anything, that whole aspect of the show got even more extreme and dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

Rad Lieutenant posted:

You should watch the leftovers

I just finished watching the whole shebang in a week! But I think more people saw Gone Girl opening weekend than have ever heard of The Leftovers :(

• Locked thread