Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?

Rhyno posted:

We're waiting to see pics but the dude says it fits. It's ugly but it fits. It's also 2" so not so great from a performance aspect. He's also running a 3" downpipe so this might get hilarious.

The stock exhaust on the MS6/3 is somewhat oversized until you start getting into big turbos and such. I'm still running the stock exhaust, with a 3" DP/intake, oversized IC, and big turbo (GT3071), and I haven't come across any issues while tuning. Assuming the guy lives his life more than a quarter-mile at a time, 2" should be sufficent.

Waffle House posted:

I am an MS6 owner, technically hahahaha

We'll see how much I can contribute if I can get the MCyl replaced once I get MONEY

Didn't you order one recently? If so, it's stupidly easy to replace; you can also rebuild your old one in like ten minutes once you get it out. The most annoying thing about the install is bleeding the air out of the lines after you replace it. Something about the clutch hydraulic system in that car holds bubbles like a motherfucker.

The rebuild kits are the same for basically every Mazda for the last 30 years (part #B3124152Z), and are generally less than $20. Unless you've somehow gouged the poo poo out of the inside of the cast housing, there's not much reason to order a whole new cyl.

stoko fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

stoko posted:

The stock exhaust on the MS6/3 is somewhat oversized until you start getting into big turbos and such. I'm still running the stock exhaust, with a 3" DP/intake, oversized IC, and big turbo (GT3071), and I haven't come across any issues while tuning. Assuming the guy lives his life more than a quarter-mile at a time, 2" should be sufficent.

It's been a reported issue with tuning and a few Etuners won't tune your car unless you're 3" all the way back.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Rhyno posted:

It's been a reported issue with tuning and a few Etuners won't tune your car unless you're 3" all the way back.

Weird. From everything I found last time I looked, they were saying you needed a 3" DP and high flow cat, but that the catback wasn't much of a restriction.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

stoko posted:

Weird. From everything I found last time I looked, they were saying you needed a 3" DP and high flow cat, but that the catback wasn't much of a restriction.

It doesn't appear to be but I guess some guys had problems back in the early days of the platform.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've probably asked a million times but what struts have you used for a non-Mazdaspeed 3? 2006. I discovered the front right one is leaking.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Anyone have any recommendations on new tires for my '14 mazda 3? It has the 18s. I have separate wheels and tires for winter, so I'd like a good 3 season tire, with a focus on less road noise and more comfort I suppose.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
If you have 18" rims, your choices for reduced road noise are pretty much nil. I don't know on the latest body design but it seems like they just didn't bother to do much road noise dampening on the 3.

I got new tires on my '11 and they were slightly quieter for maybe 50-100 miles (or so it seemed).

Hopefully someone can prove me wrong. I'm still thinking about getting that noise reducing stuff put in my doors because I'm about to start doing some long highway driving and the noise will wear on me after several hours.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

If you have 18" rims, your choices for reduced road noise are pretty much nil. I don't know on the latest body design but it seems like they just didn't bother to do much road noise dampening on the 3.

I got new tires on my '11 and they were slightly quieter for maybe 50-100 miles (or so it seemed).

Hopefully someone can prove me wrong. I'm still thinking about getting that noise reducing stuff put in my doors because I'm about to start doing some long highway driving and the noise will wear on me after several hours.

The current size is 215/45, would it be a big deal to go up to 55 profile tires?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

A Proper Uppercut posted:

The current size is 215/45, would it be a big deal to go up to 55 profile tires?

I'm by no means an expert, I'd recommend talking to your local shop to be safe (discount tire around here is very reliable). I'd guess offhand that you might have clearance issues in the wheel wells? As I recall for mine, there was no real wiggle room on sizes. Several brands but all the same size.

Considered steelies but the cost was stupid (from the shop anyway).

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You'd be better off getting a set of 16"s and the inherent higher profile tires that come with them to get the same rolling diameter.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Wibla posted:

You'd be better off getting a set of 16"s and the inherent higher profile tires that come with them to get the same rolling diameter.

Yea I'm probably just gonna have to live with the lower profile tires, I think the 3s with the 16s looks kinda goofy.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
My 17 is still loud with the 18"s but it's a lot quieter than the previous gens were even with smaller wheels.

On my partners first gen the tyres you have on the rear have a massive effect on road noise - it currently has some Potenzas on the back and Turanazas on the front and is extremely bad on coarse chip compared to when the tyres were the other way around.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Has anyone done the dynamat (or whatever) for sound dampening in the doors, etc? I don't think I want to risk doing it myself but might save up if anyone's had good results.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Urrghh I leave my car on the street for one night and some dickwad gives the mirror a boot.

Looks like they just broke a few clips in the plastic cap but it'll no longer fold in so it's an insurance claim anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MS6 report:

Fix one thing, two more break.

I can't wait to get this car sorted and up for sale.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So my '14 3 needs brakes. Is it worth it to do it myself. I'm pretty handy but have never done my own brakes. Anything specific I should know?

Also any recommendations on pads and rotors?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The front brakes on my MS3 were no harder than any other brake job. Never did need to do the rears.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So my '14 3 needs brakes. Is it worth it to do it myself. I'm pretty handy but have never done my own brakes. Anything specific I should know?

Also any recommendations on pads and rotors?

I put Centric Stoptech para-aramid pads and blank rotors on my brother's '08 and he's been very happy with them. Kind of remind me of Hawk HPS but with a stronger initial bite and a much higher fade point.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Okay, well, the car sitting for a year means rodents got to the engine wiring harness it looks like. I now have a wiring harness, clutch master, window motors, battery tray and tie downs, and some emblems headed my way, please cross your fingers, maybe pray a bit for me as I start putting my fist into the can to see if it is full of worms now

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Oh! Before I forget, whoever else out there that has a 2010-2013 3 and the dash bubbled up and jacked up your info screen(s), they have done a "recall" and you can go get it fixed at your local dealer for free.

I was going to but now I'm working in West Texas and it was 114 yesterday sooo, might be a waste of time.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Oh! Before I forget, whoever else out there that has a 2010-2013 3 and the dash bubbled up and jacked up your info screen(s), they have done a "recall" and you can go get it fixed at your local dealer for free.

I was going to but now I'm working in West Texas and it was 114 yesterday sooo, might be a waste of time.

Yep, got that in the mail last week. No real idea what the fix is, hopefully they made the clips stronger and use better adhesive when attaching the new dash.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

2016 Mazda 3 sGT. Back up camera is glitchy, image rolls and is like 2-3 fps and staticky. Latest infotainment software version.

I'm gonna have to take it in, aren't I?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

2016 Mazda 3 sGT. Back up camera is glitchy, image rolls and is like 2-3 fps and staticky. Latest infotainment software version.

Yup!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I'm going to take a look at an '07 MS3 this weekend. 150k on it, grand touring (with nav, yuck.) Has intake, springs / shocks, rear motor mount, TMIC and fuel pump internals, all CorkSport stuff. Guy seems knowledgeable, it's well maintained, looks stock and clean inside and out, and it's cheap ($5500.)

I know to have him leave it cold so I can hear if the chain slaps on cold startup, and to pull up on the timing chain from the oil fill to see if it has slack. I also know to let it idle for a while to see if the turbo starts to smoke.

Anything else?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Beware shocker stickers and evil M badges.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Anything else?

Sounds like he's replaced most of the bad stuff. Mine had creaky shocks and the weak motor mount.

opengl128 posted:

That poo poo is the worst. People doing "free mods" :allears:

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

opengl128 posted:

Agreed. I don't see a lot of shocker stickers around here these days, but I have noticed a pretty big increase on the number of "murdered out" "Evil M" badges. Notably, I haven't actually seen it on any speeds I can think of, but I'd say probably 1/3 of the base level 08-12 3's and 6's seem to go that route.

Speaking of stupid mazda folks, I saw someone the other day who was obviously trying to make his standard 6 look like an MS6. He had it all plastered up with Mazdaspeed stickers along with the OEM mazdaspeed6 badge (misplaced of course), OEM MS6 wheels, an aftermarket lip spoiler that was a little too long, and he'd cut out the top of the grille and painted the hood to make it look like it had the mouth scoop thing. The MS6 isn't exactly a popular, well known, expensive, or even impressive car; it seems really weird to try making it look like one without doing a good enough job to actually fool anyone who'd know that there's a difference.
Naturally he also had the obligatory murdered out evil M.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Anything else?

Anecdotal evidence with a sample size of one, but check the AC works and blows strong. I bought an '08 Speed 3 with 124k miles a few years ago, which was otherwise in amazing shape and has been problem-free, but either the AC compressor broke on the long drive home, or it was broken when I bought it and I missed it. $1,500 to fix that right after buying the car did not rule.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Unrelated, apparently I parked with a palindrome on both my odometer and trip odometer.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Anything else?

Mine had a bunch of cosmetic rust spots across the entire roof. They looked like stone chips to me, but the paint and panel guy that fixed them reckoned it was bad prep when the car was painted and that lots of Mazdas that age were the same.

Aside from that no complaints, but then with like 60,000kms on it when I sold it it had hardly had time to break anything

regulargonzalez posted:

Mine did that yesterday morning but it was extremely cold (near freezing) and it stopped as soon as things heated up a little. Hoping it was just a glitch.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Unrelated, apparently I parked with a palindrome on both my odometer and trip odometer.

I miss having a speedo and tach that start at 6 o'clock.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

MetaJew posted:

:golfclap: well done.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Did it. Hilariously enough I forgot to check the AC and it WAS dead on the ride home, lol. It's never that hot and I got it for so cheap that I don't really care anyways.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

I bought a new mazda 3. I like it. When is the next speed version gonna come out?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

White Phosphorus posted:

I bought a new mazda 3. I like it. When is the next speed version gonna come out?

Never. Mazda has abandoned performance models.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Never. Mazda has abandoned performance models.

Sadly, this is most likely the case. I could see them coming out with more Mazdaspeed accessories, but I'm not holding my breath for anything truly performance oriented.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They've internally decided to compete with BMW so expect a luxury push.

Probably no power/performance cars though.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The last line from head honchos is that they need to get through this next round of refreshes and then at that point if the market makes sense to do it they will. It's definitely going to be more Golf R than Focus RS (which I'm totally down with, FWIW.) They could parts-bin one today (2.5T + the JDM 3 AWD system + some Recaros and Brembos,) it's just a matter of the supply chain and marketing and whatnot.

Mazda's aiming for BMW but in that "capturing what BMW lost" kind of zone. Aside from power I think they're doing great at it, especially considering price.

In other unsurprising news my cheap Speed3 has a very long list of stuff that I need to take care of on it, and that's just the stuff I know of. Oh well, it sure is fast as gently caress.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How do their AWD systems hold up to high torque?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlesM posted:

How do their AWD systems hold up to high torque?

On the Speed6 you have to upgrade your axles or you're hosed. That's the biggest issue.