Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

SU&SD has a really great writeup on CAH. People 'round here bag on them for overvaluing a game's ability to foster social interaction and create experiences, but those are literally the only things Cards Against Humanity has to offer, so I say they're a good voice on this one.

https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/review-cards-against-humanity/

Matt probably says it best, that it's a way to enable people to make lovely, cruel jokes without actually taking ownership of them. Appealing to the worst parts of our nature, and then patting us on the head and saying that we're not really like that, so it's okay. We're not bad people, we just got bad cards.

There are better party games. Games like Snake Oil or The Game of Things...(Things...by the way, can be played with a few sheets of paper and pencils, if your friends can handle the daunting creativity of deciding on a category). CAH is the lowest common denominator of both gaming and human nature. You don't need to be funny, skilled, or brave to play it. It doesn't require you to be good at literally anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lummawks
Apr 28, 2010
Went to a local board game event at my FLGS yesterday, played boardgames from 10AM to 2AM, played some fun games and met some nice board gamers.

Quick thoughts on some of the new games I played:

Automobiles
Fun little "cubebuilder", instead of building a deck you buy cubes that you draw from a bag and you race cars around a course. Rewards engine efficiency since you take wear in the form of mostly useless brown cubes that clog up your bag.

Mysterium
I brought this, everyone loved it even though we lost.

Viticulture
Holy balls this game was great, everyone around the table was positively buzzing about it. Will have to buy this for myself

Secret Hitler
Don't really see the draw. Everyone around the table loved it, but to me it felt like The Resistance with more unecessary crap tacked on. Would much rather play The Resistance or Avalon instead.

Apart from that, played some Coup, some Steampunk Rally, and Fury of Dracula. I'm glad I politely declined the guy trying to get together a 6-8 player game of Eldritch Horror with all the expansions, holy crap did they have a lot of decks of cards. I think they played it for 7h and then just gave up because the store was closing at that point.
Was my first time at the FLGS since they recently opened and they also mostly do Magic stuff, but it seems the local board gaming group is getting more and more traction there, and they have a decent (if a bit smallish) selection of board games. They apparently recently renovated and the place looks great, very bright and clean place, amazing bathrooms (spotless and they even had essential oil aroma diffusers in there).

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

James The 1st posted:

Anyone played Lorenzo il Magnifico? It's made by the guys who did Tzolkin, Marco Polo and Grand Austria Hotel. I like those so I expect Lorenzo il Magnifico to be good.

I played it for the first time yesterday. I liked it. It's kinda engine-y with some interesting tensions in the worker placement part.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

El Fideo posted:

SU&SD has a really great writeup on CAH. People 'round here bag on them for overvaluing a game's ability to foster social interaction and create experiences, but those are literally the only things Cards Against Humanity has to offer, so I say they're a good voice on this one.

https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/review-cards-against-humanity/

Matt probably says it best, that it's a way to enable people to make lovely, cruel jokes without actually taking ownership of them. Appealing to the worst parts of our nature, and then patting us on the head and saying that we're not really like that, so it's okay. We're not bad people, we just got bad cards.

There are better party games. Games like Snake Oil or The Game of Things...(Things...by the way, can be played with a few sheets of paper and pencils, if your friends can handle the daunting creativity of deciding on a category). CAH is the lowest common denominator of both gaming and human nature. You don't need to be funny, skilled, or brave to play it. It doesn't require you to be good at literally anything.

Thread regular Lorini also has pointed out that it's, uh, not a very pleasant game for various types of mixed company, most notably racially mixed.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The fact that allows people to say racists/sexist bullshit without actually SAYING it is the worst. "It's okay because it's printed on the card, I just put it on the table!"

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Played through Unlock: Island of Doctor Goorse - it's solid. The base mechanisms of the "Unlock" series games are better thought out than lots of the competitors (especially the Exit games), and this one in particular had very reasonable puzzles and a fun gimmick.

The app works well - it provides background music, "code checks", and hints. The game has no destruction of its elements, which is nice. I'd recommend this one in particular for a group of exactly 4 (4 can be too many for lots of these games) but it would also work with 2.

I look forward to trying the other Unlock series games.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Frush posted:

On pg 10 of the rulebook when it describes how the modifiers work, the example says 'Add "PUSH 2" and the earth element effects to your attack..." which I've always read as 'does it right now' because of the push part, since it doesn't make sense to push next turn. It does make more sense to have it charge at the end of your turn I guess. Just another way to charge the element. Alright then. Still doesn't make much sense for the Cragheart to have wind aside from helping out others though.

Well the push and most other attack effects do happen immediately, it's just elemental infusions that are special and happen at end of turn. Think of modifier cards as adding the icons to the card, exactly as if you had enhanced the card by applying a sticker. A card with a push icon pushes as part of the effect, a card with an elemental icon generates the element at end of turn.

As for the Cragheart having Wind, it's mostly there to enable Backup Ammunition for a ranged build. Without that perk you literally cannot generate Wind outside a single use card.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Does anyone have thoughts on the last Resistance expansions? I'm wondering specifically about the Hunter module, it seems like a better implementation of the Merlin/Assassin game, but I don't know anyone who's tried it out. Also, did IB&C ever sort out their component issues or stop sucking in general as a company?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

lummawks posted:

I'm glad I politely declined the guy trying to get together a 6-8 player game of Eldritch Horror with all the expansions, holy crap did they have a lot of decks of cards. I think they played it for 7h and then just gave up because the store was closing at that point.

I think a person would have to be pretty darn hardcore to find that a fun experience. The expansions don't really build on each other much AFAIK, just add more stuff to a game that was already pretty darn complicated to start with!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I think a person would have to be pretty darn hardcore to find that a fun experience. The expansions don't really build on each other much AFAIK, just add more stuff to a game that was already pretty darn complicated to start with!

The expansions do not stack, you only get out the Antarctica board if you use that monster or that scenario card to get it in play for example. In general the game is really streamlined if you ever played Arkham and not all that complicated. "Do 2 actions of these 6-7 choices." Fight a monster if there, Draw a card the color of the place you are on. After everyone goes bad poo poo happens.

The tons of decks of cards are all put in the box and you use one deck for the monster for a game. That said, 6 people, you got a 3-5 hour game.

:Edit, you can use all the characters and stuff from expansion, but you dont get 5 gameboards out. I've seen Akrham Horror pictures with every expansion out an 8 boards across a huge table insanity but Eldritch does NOT work that way

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 19, 2017

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

SilverMike posted:

Spoiler from the Kickstarter mini-campaign: There was a sword given out as loot which had "eat Wind for +2 melee damage", so there are potentially selfish reasons to want to set non-Nature elements for a Cragheart.

Yes, we just finished that today, actually. We are playing Cragheart/Mindthief (A good and fun two player combo, for those interested in such things). He said "This looks like a Cragheart thing I guess" since mindthief can't use wind. I kinda just thought 'Well, not really...' Especially when the volatile bomb is a hand item.

Ojetor posted:

Well the push and most other attack effects do happen immediately, it's just elemental infusions that are special and happen at end of turn. Think of modifier cards as adding the icons to the card, exactly as if you had enhanced the card by applying a sticker. A card with a push icon pushes as part of the effect, a card with an elemental icon generates the element at end of turn.

As for the Cragheart having Wind, it's mostly there to enable Backup Ammunition for a ranged build. Without that perk you literally cannot generate Wind outside a single use card.

This makes a lot more sense now. Being a 'Great! You can plan something special next turn!' makes more sense then 'You maybe got lucky enough to use something that might benefit from this'. I just couldn't really find something that made it a clear ruling, but maybe it was just blatantly apparent to everyone but me.

Is the backup ammunition card really good enough to bother basing a whole perk around it? I mean it's good, but never struck me as something I'd want to build towards compared to the other perks.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
My Cragheart has kind of wound up as a mixture of melee and ranged, but my attacks are increasingly obstacle-based, so that's a fun theme to play with. I think extra ammunition is an alright card, but unless I'm misremembering your later cards don't really synergizing with it all that well, again because so much of what I've been doing is about throwing obstacles all over the place and adding extra targets just doesn't actually work. It isn't a card I use anymore.

Speaking of which, my party will be doing its first swamp mission next week. Boy is that quest harder than it looked. I actually flipped through the scenario book a bit, and it looks like the swamp stuff is all down different plot branches, and a lot of them are easily missed.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

pandemic: reign of Cthulhu's is actually pretty solid. Everything Arkham Horror should have been. No further review, I'm quite drunk. I liked it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

The expansions do not stack, you only get out the Antarctica board if you use that monster or that scenario card to get it in play for example. In general the game is really streamlined if you ever played Arkham and not all that complicated. "Do 2 actions of these 6-7 choices." Fight a monster if there, Draw a card the color of the place you are on. After everyone goes bad poo poo happens.

The tons of decks of cards are all put in the box and you use one deck for the monster for a game. That said, 6 people, you got a 3-5 hour game.

:Edit, you can use all the characters and stuff from expansion, but you dont get 5 gameboards out. I've seen Akrham Horror pictures with every expansion out an 8 boards across a huge table insanity but Eldritch does NOT work that way

Yeah, I was totally thinking of Arkham Horror.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

lummawks posted:

I'm glad I politely declined the guy trying to get together a 6-8 player game of Eldritch Horror with all the expansions, holy crap did they have a lot of decks of cards. I think they played it for 7h and then just gave up because the store was closing at that point.

Are you sure that was Eldritch and not Arkham? Eldritch should have about the same number of decks regardless of the number of expansions, and it's turn limited.

lummawks
Apr 28, 2010

Jedit posted:

Are you sure that was Eldritch and not Arkham? Eldritch should have about the same number of decks regardless of the number of expansions, and it's turn limited.

Yeah I recognized it from the SU&SD review. The guy said "all expansions" but they were only playing with the main board and one smaller board under it, I didn't count or see if they were using them all, but there must've been like 5-6 different decks next to the board.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

lummawks posted:

Yeah I recognized it from the SU&SD review. The guy said "all expansions" but they were only playing with the main board and one smaller board under it, I didn't count or see if they were using them all, but there must've been like 5-6 different decks next to the board.

That's normal, then. Four location decks, exploration, Mythos, Clue, conditions, unique assets, artifacts. If they took seven hours then they must have been reading every card slowly, though, because Eldritch games last a maximum of around 18 turns.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Just finished a six-hour, five-player game of Twilight Imperium. It was the second game for me, and most of the table, using several of the expansion Strategy tiles, vanilla everything else. I had a great time as the University, got two techs on the cheap every turn, rushed war suns and got both of them out quickly. Everyone was kind of aware I was a threat, but just weren't able to organise against me; one of my hellfleets took Mechatol Rex after my two neighbours exhausted themselves over it, another charged into the central L1Z1X system, tanked five PDS shots, destroyed the Hacan fleet blockading it, and occupied an artifact planet. My other neighbour (the race with the really good fighters, which he had teched to Advanced Fighters) threw everything he had at my main expansion; my damaged dreadnought dueled his last fighter and won. In the final round there was a series of invasions of the planet Meer, which had another artifact on it, as the Hacan and the turtle guys (the original owners) struggled over it. The L1Z1X had managed to throw together a war sun (pretty impressive, given he had lost his capital and five dreadnoughts in a single turn before) and threw it at Meer in a hail-mary, which didn't work. My fighter-centric neighbour's main fleet was out of range, but he was able to attack the planet (which only held two ground forces at this point) with fighters, and he had the tech which converted them into his ground forces. As it happened, this was for nothing, as I was able to unfreeze my fleet at M.R. with an action card, and sweep in for the third artifact and 9 VP.

The university is loving amazing if you're able to deter your neighbours in the early game. One of them was kind enough to put a supernova between us.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Jedit posted:

That's normal, then. Four location decks, exploration, Mythos, Clue, conditions, unique assets, artifacts. If they took seven hours then they must have been reading every card slowly, though, because Eldritch games last a maximum of around 18 turns.

Yeah but also most monsters don't start with 18 turns in them. Its usually around 12.

If you are starting out it can go slow but after you know whats going on the turns go pretty fast.

My group would spend about 5 minutes a turn in group discussion about what we were doing with the boardstate puzzle in front of use. Then peoples turns were. Move ticket. Read/roll. "yes closed the gate!"

It goes pretty fast when you know what's going on. That's why I said 6 players could be 3-5 hours.

(you also get the guy who goes to cast a spell and says "ok how many do I roll?" :shepface: its the same as you rolled last turn when you counted...)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My games of TI3 usually get less than half a dozen combats happening over the whole game. It just usually isn't worth it to commit to fighting, and the threat of usually more than enough. In my games a University player wouldn't even consider a military approach because their universal penalty to die rolls is a death sentence. Usually.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

My wife and I sometimes play with both the Antarctica and Dreamlands boards (using Hypnos for the Old One, and the Prelude that uses the Antarctica Adventures) and it is SPRAWLING. Takes up a lot of space and is a bit ridiculous, but it can also be pretty fun. It's also her favorite game, so she's cool with it lasting for hours and hours.

Lord Frisk posted:

pandemic: reign of Cthulhu's is actually pretty solid. Everything Arkham Horror should have been. No further review, I'm quite drunk. I liked it.

Agreed - we picked this up for when we didn't want to set up Eldritch Horror. It's a good 45 min game that we use to see if friends would be interested in a longer EH game. We also have Pandemic: Legacy in the wrap still - we're planning on starting it once we move to Boston in a month.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

SettingSun posted:

My games of TI3 usually get less than half a dozen combats happening over the whole game. It just usually isn't worth it to commit to fighting, and the threat of usually more than enough. In my games a University player wouldn't even consider a military approach because their universal penalty to die rolls is a death sentence. Usually.

I've only played it twice but between my plays and talking with others who have played it more it seems that the more advanced you get the less fighting that actually happens. I think when you play with morons like myself or newbies who play it as space-risk then you have problems and it can gently caress up the balance when you've got a war-mongerer working against his own interests in his own system because he wants to pew pew pew fleets across your sector, and on the other side of the map you've got people playing the actual game and working on mission objectives. You've got to sink resources into defense and retaking systems from someone that appears to have no plan on winning when your other opponents are sitting pretty and just doing things as they should.

I'd be more than happy to play it again with six max, but the downtime is killer and if you're losing it can loving suck seeing people do a million things and take forever to do so when your options are limited. A giant sign with "NOW SERVING" and the player's name/colour/species on a monitor or TV screen is a dream and I would consider writing a little program if it shaved hours of "whose turn is it" off the clock.

In other news, I learned and taught Steam with my parents on Father's Day. Aside from having to explain what each the action tiles represented every round it went fairly smoothly and everyone had a very good time. We just did the base game, which eliminates the need for upkeep and allows loans from the bank at any time, but by the end everyone was getting what they were supposed to be doing and running into little logistical problems as they attempted to ship the cubes to where they were supposed to go. We really liked it and the joy of shipping something six spaces and digging yourself out of debt was quite nice.

My only question is if you have a route that you can ship something a short way or a long way, are you required to ship it any way in particular or can you gouge your customers and even though you could ship it next door for one, you instead can ship it say for five track links instead? Also, how the gently caress are you supposed to be at 100+ points, it's mind-boggling.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

FulsomFrank posted:

My only question is if you have a route that you can ship something a short way or a long way, are you required to ship it any way in particular or can you gouge your customers and even though you could ship it next door for one, you instead can ship it say for five track links instead? Also, how the gently caress are you supposed to be at 100+ points, it's mind-boggling.

You can ship it using as much rail as you'd like, although of course you can't go through a town that you could deliver to.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

I've only played it twice but between my plays and talking with others who have played it more it seems that the more advanced you get the less fighting that actually happens. I think when you play with morons like myself or newbies who play it as space-risk then you have problems and it can gently caress up the balance when you've got a war-mongerer working against his own interests in his own system because he wants to pew pew pew fleets across your sector, and on the other side of the map you've got people playing the actual game and working on mission objectives. You've got to sink resources into defense and retaking systems from someone that appears to have no plan on winning when your other opponents are sitting pretty and just doing things as they should.

I'd be more than happy to play it again with six max, but the downtime is killer and if you're losing it can loving suck seeing people do a million things and take forever to do so when your options are limited. A giant sign with "NOW SERVING" and the player's name/colour/species on a monitor or TV screen is a dream and I would consider writing a little program if it shaved hours of "whose turn is it" off the clock.

In other news, I learned and taught Steam with my parents on Father's Day. Aside from having to explain what each the action tiles represented every round it went fairly smoothly and everyone had a very good time. We just did the base game, which eliminates the need for upkeep and allows loans from the bank at any time, but by the end everyone was getting what they were supposed to be doing and running into little logistical problems as they attempted to ship the cubes to where they were supposed to go. We really liked it and the joy of shipping something six spaces and digging yourself out of debt was quite nice.

You're meant to be a robber baron and get the most benefit you can possibly get from your deliveries.
And yeah, 100+ is just fantasy. I once had my absolute best game ever, 3 players (so full 10 rounds) against stupid AIs, I had double their scores at the end, and even then I was at 80+. Against actual humans, with 4 players or more, 50 is already really good.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah but also most monsters don't start with 18 turns in them. Its usually around 12.

Doom doesn't necessary advance every turn. The real limiter is the Mythos deck, because that gets used once a turn regardless.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

jivjov posted:

Doom doesn't necessary advance every turn. The real limiter is the Mythos deck, because that gets used once a turn regardless.

Good point. Its been a while. Never actually died from that though. Doom can move really fast if you aren't "portal vigilant". I miss that game and my old group where we played it a lot.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

I mean, different Ancient Ones and expansions can introduce more decks. You could probably add like another seven decks to a game if you tried. And then if you separate the condition deck into multiple smaller decks, it ends up looking that much bigger.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ragnar34 posted:

I mean, different Ancient Ones and expansions can introduce more decks. You could probably add like another seven decks to a game if you tried. And then if you separate the condition deck into multiple smaller decks, it ends up looking that much bigger.

Why on earth would you try to separate the condition :stare: that's introducing a lot of fiddlyness that you don't need.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Get a business card holder for Arkham Horror to put the locations/whatever decks in. Best accessory I ever bought for the game and clears up a LOT of table space.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Get a business card holder for Arkham Horror to put the locations/whatever decks in. Best accessory I ever bought for the game and clears up a LOT of table space.

:same: But for Eldritch

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

I got one of those little bead trays at a craft store and use that for decks. It makes it SO much easier to pass it around the table. This plus a plano box for tokens, and dice for health/sanity makes for a much simpler experience. I need to get another small bead box just for the mini cards, as those are the ones we pass around most often.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Out of curiosity, are there any games out there that have managed to nail the maneuver aspect of regimented combat in historical wargames without resorting to rulers and inch-measuring? I know there's stuff like C&C Ancients, but I'd appreciate if it were just a little bit less abstract (rules for flanks and stuff).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dr. Light posted:

I got one of those little bead trays at a craft store and use that for decks. It makes it SO much easier to pass it around the table. This plus a plano box for tokens, and dice for health/sanity makes for a much simpler experience. I need to get another small bead box just for the mini cards, as those are the ones we pass around most often.

Wow why didn't I think of this. I have one of these lying around after trying and failing to use it for The Colonists storage. It looks like it works really well!

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

SettingSun posted:

Wow why didn't I think of this. I have one of these lying around after trying and failing to use it for The Colonists storage. It looks like it works really well!

I shamelessly stole the idea from someone on BGG, but it does in fact work really well. The box that I got had one wider slot that also happens to fit the Old One card perfectly! I will say that I'm about 90% sure sleeved cards would be too wide for this, but it works perfectly well for non-sleeved.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I use bead trays for every game that has tokens. Its a Wal-Mart tier Daedelous insert, but it works great.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

I use bead trays for every game that has tokens. Its a Wal-Mart tier Daedelous insert, but it works great.

Exactly. My wife and I have almost every expansion for Eldritch Horror, and while I'm impressed with the foamcore inserts people come up with, I knew that wouldn't work for us. We have it condensed to one box for the boards and plano boxes, and one cardboard collectible card storage box for all of the decks. It's not as portable, but it works well for us!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dr. Light posted:

Exactly. My wife and I have almost every expansion for Eldritch Horror, and while I'm impressed with the foamcore inserts people come up with, I knew that wouldn't work for us. We have it condensed to one box for the boards and plano boxes, and one cardboard collectible card storage box for all of the decks. It's not as portable, but it works well for us!

This is what i use:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=reynier.eldritchcompanion&hl=en

Very table and sanity saving.

The only card decks you need are the various player decks, mythos decks, and the GOO cards/mysteries

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Azran posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any games out there that have managed to nail the maneuver aspect of regimented combat in historical wargames without resorting to rulers and inch-measuring? I know there's stuff like C&C Ancients, but I'd appreciate if it were just a little bit less abstract (rules for flanks and stuff).

Napoleon's Triumph and Guns of Gettysburg both do this rather well.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gilgameshback posted:

Napoleon's Triumph and Guns of Gettysburg both do this rather well.

Agreeing completely, and I'll note if you want more in-depth answers, the wargame thread might be good too! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3564278

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

Sloober posted:

This is what i use:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=reynier.eldritchcompanion&hl=en

Very table and sanity saving.

The only card decks you need are the various player decks, mythos decks, and the GOO cards/mysteries

I am all for that as well (and use it if I ever play a solo game!) but my wife likes the physical cards themselves. It's her personal preference, so I go with it!