Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

that good good feeling

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
oh my god FINALLY I get to spearfish!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
It takes a lot of bravery to forum post, these days, due to the many and aggressive fanbois who verbally abuse anyone who has anything even remotely negative to say. And yet, you blatant jerks do not get to silence us, not even one of us. Because we pay for the game as well and are entitled to our opinions. Have fun attacking people, glad I could help brighten your day.

As for the nonsense you lot keep reposting about rocky launches, I have played over 40 MMOs in the last 25 years, stretching back to MUDs and I can't think of a single MMO content launch that had this degree of initial content block. Crashing, bugs, sure all of that...but this was something special.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Holy crap the Heated <Attack> weaponskills for MCH look amazing. Some real Bayonetta poo poo there. :eyepop:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Verranicus posted:

It takes a lot of bravery to forum post, these days, due to the many and aggressive fanbois who verbally abuse anyone who has anything even remotely negative to say. And yet, you blatant jerks do not get to silence us, not even one of us. Because we pay for the game as well and are entitled to our opinions. Have fun attacking people, glad I could help brighten your day.

As for the nonsense you lot keep reposting about rocky launches, I have played over 40 MMOs in the last 25 years, stretching back to MUDs and I can't think of a single MMO content launch that had this degree of initial content block. Crashing, bugs, sure all of that...but this was something special.

Sir/ma'am this is an episode of Antiques Roadshow

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

A foolish man does the anima light step after Stormblood is released, when all A1S farm parties are now extinct.

I am a very foolish man. :(

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

Just curious. Does this apply even if you aren't actually the "proper" levelof the dungeon? I got Dusk Vigil (is the HW Vigil, right?) yesterday in LDR, but I wasn't paying attention.

I wanted to dent her goddamn face in when she said "What took you so long?"

I haven't done a 51-59 dungeon, so I can't say. But the gear drop at the end does not include weapons; it is armor only (left & right side)

Also level 70 BLM and MSQ finished; time to sleep for a few days.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If the untranslated line you're talking about has two Au Ra in it, one male and one female, I believe the untranslated line says, "<Another NPC name>. From now on, I would like to go outside the village of <Not sure how to read that. Water?>"

Unless there are multiple places that they missed translation.

If we want to nitpick and I remember the sentence and context right, the これから there is more just a statement of what she intends to do next - "I think I want to go outside Sui-no-sato (now/after this)".

But yeah, it was a funny little localization error.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Hivac posted:

How much value do you get for each of the gcd attacks? I've been trying to figure this poo poo out but not being able to see the numbers makes it hard to plan out

The first two parts of the combos give 5 (Kasha and Gekko give 10 if you land the positionals, Yukikaze gives 10 anyway), Fuga gives 5, Oka and Mangetsu each give 10, Enpi gives 10, and Hagakure (most importantly) gives up to 60 based on your Sen count.

Before 62, you only get 5 from Kasha, Gekko, Yukikaze, and Enpi. So you build it SIGNIFICANTLY faster with Kenki Mastery II.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

I did this too and was feeling pretty smug about it but holy loving poo poo is Ruby Sea ready to be the match of anyone who wants to do all the sidequests. There's always more. Always. More.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

thunder IV is the best thing in the world.

cant wait for foul

Meiteron posted:

I did this too and was feeling pretty smug about it but holy loving poo poo is Ruby Sea ready to be the match of anyone who wants to do all the sidequests. There's always more. Always. More.

yeah it felt like the moogle area

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Seems familiar . . .

Meiteron posted:

Yeah holy poo poo. The completionist in me yearns to clear the map but it's really getting bogged down. And I enjoyed the side quests in the earlier areas too, this is just too much.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
This eternal World is full queue time kinnda sucks. Been at 500+ for about 5 min, now 387 for another 10.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I know it's early in the expansion, but does anyone know of a basic write up for Dark Knight? I'm tanking just fine on Paladin right now but I can't ignore how sweet that DRK armor looks and wanna get in on it. I'm having a bit of difficulty wrapping my head around the Darkside mechanic tho.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
So as someone with a complete inability to schedule for more than maybe 30 minutes of dedicated playtime consecutively, is there enough to keep this fun without doing big party raids? I've been dying for Red Mage to come again and now that it's out, I'm not sure I'll have enough to enjoy if I stick to mostly small party or solo stuff.

Thoughts?

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
As happy as I am about the doubled furnishing limit indoors, I am fairly bummed the outdoor furnishing limit was not similarly increased.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

FraudulentEconomics posted:

So as someone with a complete inability to schedule for more than maybe 30 minutes of dedicated playtime consecutively, is there enough to keep this fun without doing big party raids? I've been dying for Red Mage to come again and now that it's out, I'm not sure I'll have enough to enjoy if I stick to mostly small party or solo stuff.

Thoughts?

Most big party raids can be done in 30 minutes once the learning period is over.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Fun tip: Don't name change when there's congestion.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Tiger Millionaire posted:

While I saw about an equal amount of hype for both jobs pre launch, now that I'm in its nothing but RDM (a band wagon I have also jumped onto)

Hows SAM for the people on it?

It's not that SAM is bad, it's just that RDM shoots a million anime swords and casts Holy, so there really is no contest.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Mulva posted:

It's not that SAM is bad, it's just that RDM shoots a million anime swords and casts Holy, so there really is no contest.

SAM impales a man through the chest and pulls out the sword by placing their foot over their dying heart and pushes off.

Replace chest with crotch if you are a potato.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm enjoying WHM more than AST (for what little I've played both jobs past 60). AST feels largely the same, while WHM at least has some new mechanics to play around with. You want to have 3 Lilies as much as possible, but 2 is probably fine if you really need that Tetragammation now or something. You can still get by with 0 or 1 Lily, you're just more efficient reducing those CDs. Thin Air is also gonna be great for juggling MP.

My SCH's only at 50 but it does feel nice streamlining most of my buttons, even if it's a DPS loss.

Also enjoying both MCH and BRD. Still maining PLD, can't wait to spellspam.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Givin posted:

I know it's early in the expansion, but does anyone know of a basic write up for Dark Knight? I'm tanking just fine on Paladin right now but I can't ignore how sweet that DRK armor looks and wanna get in on it. I'm having a bit of difficulty wrapping my head around the Darkside mechanic tho.

tdlr for Darkside is that it's your offensive stance, but it's not mutually exclusive with your defensive stance (Grit). As of Stormblood, Darkside no longer drains MP while active but does stop all MP regeneration while in battle and block MP regeneration effects (This is why DRK's suite of MP recovery abilities is extremely important). A good chunk of DRK's abilities can only be used while Darkside is up, I think Dark Arts is an example of this. Therefore you want Darkside up all the time and instead of swapping stances you just turn Grit on and off.

even shorter tldr: instead of swapping between stances to deal more damage or draw aggro, DRK toggles Grit on and off while having Darkside up all the time

I'll come back and do a better in-depth writeup of DRK later when I'm not busy, if someone else hasn't already by then.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
FWIW there has consistently been 15-20% more SAM players than RDM progressing through the levels on Excalibur since launch. I'm curious what the dropoff is going to look like on both classes in a couple months.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Riftling posted:

FWIW there has consistently been 15-20% more SAM players than RDM progressing through the levels on Excalibur since launch. I'm curious what the dropoff is going to look like on both classes in a couple months.

It'll level itself out eventually, much like Ninja and Machinist before it. AST and DRK, too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone gotten high enough on Machinist yet to see how the heat mechanic plays out? I'm curious as heck about that one.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How do you beat the level 54 samurai mission? The last guy just wipes the floor with me. He hits me across the arena with his combo that's impossible to dodge for half my health then you go through the motions of avoiding his AoE poo poo then all he seems to do after that is the combo that completely kills you.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm enjoying WHM more than AST (for what little I've played both jobs past 60). AST feels largely the same, while WHM at least has some new mechanics to play around with. You want to have 3 Lilies as much as possible, but 2 is probably fine if you really need that Tetragammation now or something. You can still get by with 0 or 1 Lily, you're just more efficient reducing those CDs. Thin Air is also gonna be great for juggling MP.

My SCH's only at 50 but it does feel nice streamlining most of my buttons, even if it's a DPS loss.

Also enjoying both MCH and BRD. Still maining PLD, can't wait to spellspam.

Yeah, WHM is unironically the big winner even if confessions is a bad bad dogshit mechanic (you only heal people with confessions, it's not an aoe like people were hoping)

They lost the least, do the most damage, got the most interesting/useful new abilities and didn't eat a shitload of nerfs to get there. SCH might actually be the healer sitting everything out with people running WHM/AST in meta raid comps. Depends on what the fights are like I guess, but for me SCH just feels like a skeleton when I play it now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone gotten high enough on Machinist yet to see how the heat mechanic plays out? I'm curious as heck about that one.

52-61 is basically a challenge to keep Heat as low as possible outside of Wildfire. It's a losing battle for the most part, since Quick Reload is your only way of dropping Heat and Hot Shot gives you 10 Heat by itself.

Once you hit 62 dropping Heat is no longer an issue with Cooldown, so then the challenge is keeping as high Heat as possible without overheating (again, outside of Wildfire). Cooldown is great to fire off after a Reload cycle (remember that you only have three ammo stocks now, so that's much shorter). Once you hit 64 your ammo gets powered up even more after 50, so you really want to keep between 55-90 heat as much as possible; use your Shot rotation and Hot Shot when around 50, then when you're at around 85-90 fire off a Cooldown. If you're sitting on around 90 heat and you have a DPS buff up, you can squeeze out a good chunk of damage with Cooldown > Hot Shot > Cooldown > Split Shot > Cooldown > Quick Reload > Barrel Stabilizer > Split/Slug Shot.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Settle an argument for me, goons. Is the way to roll on a high pop server to refresh as often as possible or to check back at the times listed on the server status page?

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Thoughts?

Why in the world would you wnat to play an MMO if your life is so busy that you can literally only play for 30 minutes. MMOs are games for children, those with youthful vigor and the constitution to consistently sleep for only 3 hours a night, and NEETs

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Intoluene posted:

It'll level itself out eventually, much like Ninja and Machinist before it. AST and DRK, too.

It won't drop as hard as DRK because a lot of the players wanted DRK to be a button mashing edgelord DPS instead of a tank that expected players to think about their resource management.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Athropos posted:

Been doing hella pvp to level as Red Mage. Does anyone know if the 180 pvp gear can be glamourable without ranks now?

I'm pretty sure all PvP gear is just glamour gear now. Definitely the new stuff is.

By the way, if anyone hasn't seen it, head to Wovles' Den and check out the Stormblood Dark Knight PvP weapon.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Settle an argument for me, goons. Is the way to roll on a high pop server to refresh as often as possible or to check back at the times listed on the server status page?
The times are just when the status website updates, whether or not it lets you in is based on current server congestion at that time so you just gotta check in at off peak times

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I really, really want to be good at Red Mage.

I really wish I would stop accidentally hitting Jolt when Dualcast is up.

I really hate that the only indicator of it is a tiny-rear end buff icon when they specifically said that they want to do away with reliance on tracking tiny-rear end buff icons.

Is this just a matter of keeping going until you've got the muscle memory down or what?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Mazed posted:

I really, really want to be good at Red Mage.

I really wish I would stop accidentally hitting Jolt when Dualcast is up.

I really hate that the only indicator of it is a tiny-rear end buff icon when they specifically said that they want to do away with reliance on tracking tiny-rear end buff icons.

Is this just a matter of keeping going until you've got the muscle memory down or what?

Red Mage is all about rhythm, so yeah, you just need to practice. Always try to have a veraero or verthunder ready to fire after every hard cast of anything, and really only use jolt if you're dry on verstone or verfire procs.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I want Square to sort the Samurai combos for PvE in the way they do it for PvP. It's utterly perfect how well they have their stuff sorted out. There's literally no reason to ever use the combo skills by themselves, so packaging them with the skill that combos into them is just fantastic. I'm not sure why they just didn't design it that way to begin with. It cuts down on the skillbar clutter lots!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Leofish posted:

Red Mage is all about rhythm, so yeah, you just need to practice. Always try to have a veraero or verthunder ready to fire after every hard cast of anything, and really only use jolt if you're dry on verstone or verfire procs.

I think what's tripping me is, on paper, it's very simple: If you just cast a thing with a cast bar, then make the next thing verareo/verthunder.

But, this game, and MMOs, have always had cast bars around. Years and years. They're not a thing around which any particular reflex has developed. Suddenly having to develop a quick instinct for a very specific action after doing something with a cast bar is new and disorienting.

Not that it can't be done, of course, but the struggle is real. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

It won't drop as hard as DRK because a lot of the players wanted DRK to be a button mashing edgelord DPS instead of a tank that expected players to think about their resource management.

Then maybe we can finally get a mount and incentive for healers to queue when I usually have instant queues as healer and short waits as a tank these days :colbert: