Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

She looks hella rad and like someone who'd actually be fun to hang out with irl (disregarding her actual character).

But also, in the context of the series, it strongly conveys the idea that she is a very modern witch completely overturning the old orthodoxy. There are no elements of the traditional witch garb in her outfit, nor even elements of traditional femininity. The high-collared cape still conveys the idea of a magician, but a completely new and distinct type from the rest of the witches. And contrasted against her younger self it shows how she has changed and grown as a person, going from someone who's kind of a shy outsider to representing a total revolution of witchcraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
She dresses like a steampunk version of Dr. Strange!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I'm actually kinda disappointed in the flashback of last episode. The twist of the one before - that Chariot turned dreams into magic, robbing people of their magic abilities - was a really dang good one; it turned the entire premise on its head, it's something Ursula could genuinely feel terrible for especially with Akko around, it makes her relationship with Croix more interesting, it sets up how both went about obtaining the final word in a wrong and therefore doomed attempt, and it makes things actually surprisingly ambiguous.

Aaaaand now it's revealed that Chariot was tricked, Croix came up with the whole thing, and it only happened once anyway. Would've seemed much more interesting to me if Chariot had actually come up and perpetuated the scheme herself, before stopping after eventually realizing what it really did. Not sure. I think this is one instance where the more cynical variant is actually better storytelling.

I sure hope the show takes the time to point out Croix' massive hypocrisy. "How can you blame me", indeed.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

I'm actually kinda disappointed in the flashback of last episode. The twist of the one before - that Chariot turned dreams into magic, robbing people of their magic abilities - was a really dang good one; it turned the entire premise on its head, it's something Ursula could genuinely feel terrible for especially with Akko around, it makes her relationship with Croix more interesting, it sets up how both went about obtaining the final word in a wrong and therefore doomed attempt, and it makes things actually surprisingly ambiguous.

Aaaaand now it's revealed that Chariot was tricked, Croix came up with the whole thing, and it only happened once anyway. Would've seemed much more interesting to me if Chariot had actually come up and perpetuated the scheme herself, before stopping after eventually realizing what it really did. Not sure. I think this is one instance where the more cynical variant is actually better storytelling.

I sure hope the show takes the time to point out Croix' massive hypocrisy. "How can you blame me", indeed.

You're absolutely right. I totally agree with your point and felt the same way. It was poignant before the flashback because Chariot had something to really feel remorseful over, and would set up a clearer redemption arc. Having her just be tricked due to Croix's nefarious scheme takes it down to being pretty juvenile. The idea with Chariot being a hero that made a mistake helps make her much more human. Well, okay, it is a kids' show, but so is Avatar: The Last Airbender and that one totally had heroes making mistakes and having to work to fix them.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Torquemadras posted:

Eh, Chariot really should've looked into the experimental magic she designed to test on an unknowing audience. It's partially her fault in that sense.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Torquemadras posted:

Yeah, I --

DrSunshine posted:

You're absolutely right. I totally agree with your point and felt the same way. It was poignant before the flashback because Chariot had something to really feel remorseful over, and would set up a clearer redemption arc. Having her just be tricked due to Croix's nefarious scheme takes it down to being pretty juvenile. The idea with Chariot being a hero that made a mistake helps make her much more human. Well, okay, it is a kids' show, but so is Avatar: The Last Airbender and that one totally had heroes making mistakes and having to work to fix them.
:argh:
Thanks for saving me typing time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Eh, Chariot really should've looked into the experimental magic she designed to test on an unknowing audience. It's partially her fault in that sense.

Chariot isn't all that bright based on the flashbacks so she's more like an unwitting rube

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Chariot isn't all that bright based on the flashbacks so she's more like an unwitting rube

I liked the ultra-powerful Chariot that ran on walls and won prizes and developed never-seen-before displays of magic and personally researched the revival of magic developing a revolutionary but kinda evil method doing so and got so awesome at magic that the gods of magic descended and gave her the official staff of awesome magic, while being an inspiration to kids everywhere

In truth, we have a kinda dimwitted Chariot with sudden flashes of badass, who gets constantly owned by a flying roomba

Make up your mind, LWA!

Although I am definitely looking forward to more of Chariot being badass. Because there's, like, zero chance of no epic wizard battle happening next episode.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Is the Witch-Parade OVA canon? Because Ursula sucks a whole bunch of magic fairies out of muggles in that, to help the girls fight a monster.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Present Croix has the best character design in all of anime, it's fantastic.

She shares a series with the soos, she's not even the best design of her series.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Also, she's still a dumb teenager based on the fact she's still wearing her school uniform between shows. Kind of surprised me that Chariot was supposed to be so young but I guess they're going for a teen-idol-singer thing there.

Does work with the "inspired by old anime" thing people mentioned before though. Young Akko sees Chariot as everything she aspires to be as an adult, but going back and looking at it with a more experienced eye Chariot's ultimately just a slightly-older kid who got thrown into an industry she wasn't really ready for.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

cathead posted:

(Source)

I wonder if this was an intentional reference. The fact that the car color is the same makes me think it is.

I was just going back through the thread and noticed that this is set in (or near) my hometown of loving Nowhere, The Desert, California.

It's a good and pretty representation of springtime in the desert. (Colors get a lot ... tanner as the year goes on.)

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Elfface posted:

Is the Witch-Parade OVA canon?

No. The movies are their own continuity.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

livingfruitvirus posted:

No. The movies are their own continuity.

It does seem that they repurposed the float idea for the giant robot battle.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Did...did Croix just fire a nuke at the moon?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Ah yes, spoilers without tags less than an hour after the ep went up, just so half of us could check the thread to see if someone said the ep was delayed or out could see them.

Mmmm, i love the smell of spoilers in the evening.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
That episode wasn't necessarily bad but it felt really compressed, there just wasn't enough time to give weight to anything. I guess they wasted too much time in the beginning and are only now trying to cram five or six episodes of plot into the final two.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Woodward playing Croix beyond all reason was hilarious

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Woodward playing Croix beyond all reason was hilarious

I liked how what the totally normal stick did for her was exactly the same as what it did for Akko, but where Croix sees cheap, shameful, childish party tricks Akko sees world-changing power. It's a nice visual summary of what sets them apart.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
As a whole it did feel a little rushed, but Chariot and Akko were perfect.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I like that they managed to play the old imagery of the dragon that Akko defeats with a bow at the end of the first LWA short into this episode. Nice callback!! That beeping and the missile/space rocket at the end is so ominous though! :ohdear:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I love you.

:unsmith:

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Wow, that was badass!

Croix getting her just desserts and realizing how wrong she has been was satisfying. Akko and Chariot's "first meeting" was perfectly tearjerking and adorable, even when Akko went all Shinji with the "I am myself" bit. The fighting scenes were wonderfully over the top; I bust out laughing as soon as Chariot unsheathed her lightsaber, and again when Croix deployed her AT Field. And what a cliffhanger, drat!

Sure I wish they had five more minutes to stretch this episode out, but it was still amazing and the frantic pacing at least has the upside of making it exciting in a movie-like way.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mentat Radnor posted:

Wow, that was badass!
I bust out laughing as soon as Chariot unsheathed her lightsaber, and again when Croix deployed her AT Field. And what a cliffhanger, drat!

It even makes straight-up Star Wars goddamn lightsaber noises! VVRMM VRRM. I just wish Croix had had her own red one. :allears:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

skasion posted:

i can't believe the discussion of the ED turning out to be heavy spoilers is going one step further with it showing akko getting obliterated by a burst of light

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

We still have one more episode, right? As satisfying as that was, it did not feel like an edning.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I always heard that it was 25 episodes, but advertising and people started treating episode 24 as if it was the finale. I imagine that there's still an episode left, though, yes.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Yeah I checked there's 25 episodes scheduled, which means I'm worried about Akko's well being after realising what the ED could mean

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zeruel posted:

Yeah I checked there's 25 episodes scheduled, which means I'm worried about Akko's well being after realising what the ED could mean

What's the worst that could happen?

Akko dying?

We've seen what happens to Trigger protagonists when they die. They go to hell and meet Inferno Cop.

I'm sure Akko could get along with Inferno Cop. No need to worry.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Akko will also somehow turn into the Trigger mascot.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Where did Chariot learn to fight?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

skasion posted:

It turns out that this is really just a show about beating the poo poo out of the moon mostly

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

kidcoelacanth posted:

It turns out that this is really just a show about beating the poo poo out of the moon mostly

Someone really hated Majora's Mask apparently.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

In grand old magical girl tradition.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

skasion posted:

It turns out this show is the prequel to Bloodborne.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

That's no moon.....

(loved the lightsaber out of nowhere)

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
There's no way the group there doesn't become the new set of Nine Old Witches (if you count Croix) for the finale.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

I could see this happening, much like that mascot for Toei except the studio doesn't sell it's soul.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Fun episode. The lightsaber was bonkers... has that ever shown up in LWA before?

Also, I couldn't help but think of someone who would've been overjoyed to have the stick that pissed Croix off:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

I always kinda hoped this. if she turned her hair blue like Chariot did she'd kinda resemble the machine gun one

i don't think its gonna happen but it'd be neat... we'd spend the next 20 Trigger projects looking for a gas mask to appear, but it'd be neat for right now

• Locked thread