Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Carlosologist posted:

in case you didn't love Clayton Kershaw already:

https://twitter.com/RLeesam/status/876579500104065027

It's with a heavy heart that I must admit that Clayton Kershaw loving owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

It's with a heavy heart that I must admit that Clayton Kershaw loving owns
This would make a good avatar text for you

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Comptroll The Forums posted:

N: Tigers recalling Anibal Sanchez, who has a 5.17 era in 15 IP... In AAA.

V: blow up this lovely team and take out the entire AL central division while you're at it

Tigers are going to wait way too loving long to sell and somehow only move like Justin Wilson.

JD Martinez should already be off this team, the longer another team has him the more valuable he is in a trade.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Abel Wingnut posted:

who is zack hample? dodgers beat?

No, he's the rear end in a top hat who has 7,000 baseballs that he's personally caught at baseball games, including pushing kids aside and sneaking into a veteran's only game.

He did get banned from some stadium, right? Am I misremembering?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Walrus posted:

During the final week at the old Yankee Stadium, Hample gained worldwide recognition by catching home run balls on consecutive nights. On September 16, 2008, he made a leaping catch on a Jason Giambi home run and immediately celebrated with a goofy dance that was captured on TV. The following night, in nearly exactly the same spot in the right field bleachers, Hample reached far over a railing to make a backhanded catch on a Johnny Damon home run and celebrated with the same dance.[3] The Yankees' announcers recognized him from the previous game, and within the next 24 hours the story was covered by ESPN, CBS, NBC, FOX, CNN International, Japanese TV, and many other media outlets. Yahoo! Sports initially acknowledged Hample's baseball-snagging skills, but did not know that it was he who had made the catches.[4]
Less than two weeks later, on September 28, 2008, Hample caught the last home run ever hit by a Mets player at Shea Stadium, this one off the bat of Carlos Beltrán.[5]

so when he isn't at baseball games, he's busy editing wikipedia

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Some Numbers posted:

No, he's the rear end in a top hat who has 7,000 baseballs that he's personally caught at baseball games, including pushing kids aside and sneaking into a veteran's only game.

He did get banned from some stadium, right? Am I misremembering?

He also rigs up a glove to retrieve balls that have fallen behind the outfield walls during BP. So he doesn't "catch" all of them.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

iospace posted:

He also rigs up a glove to retrieve balls that have fallen behind the outfield walls during BP. So he doesn't "catch" all of them.

:what:

That's ridiculous.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Some Numbers posted:

:what:

That's ridiculous.

Yup. It's pretty simple. Take a rubber band to fold the glove, lower it over the ball with a string, and let gravity do the rest (ideally the ball should also be "above" the band in the glove to help secure it). Pull up when ball is snagged.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Carlosologist posted:

Why was Hample trying to bargain with Kershaw for a ball? Isn't he the guy who literally wrote a book on how to best position yourself in each stadium to shag balls? I guess he just didn't feel like shoving more kids out of the way today?

Also Kershaw owns.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

No I believe it's possible, I just hate the idea.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Why was Hample trying to bargain with Kershaw for a ball? Isn't he the guy who literally wrote a book on how to best position yourself in each stadium to shag balls? I guess he just didn't feel like shoving more kids out of the way today?

Also Kershaw owns.

First time ever Special blue laced balls that were only being used today. I'm assuming they'd use them again next year but still.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

First time ever Special blue laced balls that were only being used today. I'm assuming they'd use them again next year but still.

Yeah but he's the guy who will do all sorts of bullshit so he shouldn't have to ask for a ball is the point.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Remember when he snuck into that veterans-only game at an army base?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Luigi Thirty posted:

Remember when he snuck into that veterans-only game at an army base?

Then gloated about it on twitter like a moron, and had the nerve to get offended when people rightly told him to hand over all the balls he'd shagged to kids and gently caress off forever, yes.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Oh I get why he wanted one, I just don't get why he was trying to haggle with Kershaw when he could just body slam a kid and steal one like usual.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'd sign the petition that gets Hample banned from the 30 parks

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

lol

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Oh I get why he wanted one, I just don't get why he was trying to haggle with Kershaw when he could just body slam a kid and steal one like usual.

I've never heard of the guy up to this point but I assume "my good buddy Kershaw gave me this sweet ball!" makes for a better story.

And yes I avoided the blue balls joke

e: also just realized my phone autocorrects Kershaw to Keyshawn

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
N: Nolan Arenado hit a walk off dinger to complete a cycle.

V: I love baseball.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Zack Hample is a piece of poo poo adult man and a great shame on the game of baseball.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Joey Freshwater posted:

I've never heard of the guy up to this point

I'd never heard of him until last year but his public slapfight with Marlins Man over weaseling into the Fort Bragg military-only game was baseball comedy gold.

http://nypost.com/2016/07/04/ballhawk-fiend-called-out-for-sneaking-into-mlb-military-game/

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
He could always just buy one off eBay, but I guess that wouldn't provide the thrill of shoving a child out of the way or begging another adult for it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Pussy Boss posted:

Beltran feels like a classic "Hall of Very Good" player to me. Never won an MVP or came close. Was never really in the conversation for best player in baseball at any point in his career.

He's got to be like the 8th or 9th center fielder by WAR, dudes a no brainer.

e: 8th by WAR, 9th by JAWS and 11th by WAR7. Dude is a Hall of Famer without a doubt.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 19, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Also Mike Trout is currently 6th is WAR 7.

He has played only 5 full seasons.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Paul Zuvella posted:

He'ls got to be like the 8th or 9th center fielder by WAR, dudes a no brainer.

e: 8th by WAR, 9th by JAWS and 11th by WAR7. Dude is a Hall of Famer without a doubt.

Jim Edmonds was 16th on each of those metrics. I will sullenly repeat that he shouldn't have been a one-and-done. Scott Rolen is 10, 14, 10 for third basemen. Sad that he's likely to get the same treatment. At least one of the MV3 crowd is going into the hall.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Hample trying to extort ARod for his 3000th hit ball and ARod rightly telling him to keep the ball and gently caress off is another reason to love ARod

e: And that's how I learned the Yankees and Hample came to an arrangement for that ball, by googling AFTER posting

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If you haven't read the latest ESPN magazine feature about Latin culture and baseball, you should.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Beltran never led the league in anything. But to be fair, he certainly should have had an MVP-2 in 2006. Beltran is a really, really, really good player. I think he should be in the hall, but if he just plays three more years he will be a lock with 3k hits :)

Also, Carlos Beltran has more games and PA's with the Mets than the Royals and was probably the best part of his career.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 19, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Here's why Gurriel got himself ejected last night

https://twitter.com/_CBoutwell/status/876654557270384641

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Some low rent local cable station did a "top 10 Royals hitters", which was kind of embarrassing, but it also showed 5-tool Beltran in his prime and that dude was goddamn something.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bewbies please tell me about your sodium levels

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I think Beltran has quite a bit better rep than Edmonds, and did have that "star" rep earlier in his career. They're going to put some of the current older guys in the Hall and I think he's pretty high up on that list.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Beltran is going to pretty easily get in which is annoying because his numbers are worse than Bagwell's and he did way more steroids than Bagwell

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I don't understand how Beltran was as good as he was while being a switch hitter, so by virtue of baffling me, he probably deserves to be in the Hall.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

Here's why Gurriel got himself ejected last night

https://twitter.com/_CBoutwell/status/876654557270384641

did he swing at any of them?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IcePhoenix posted:

did he swing at any of them?

Nope. And he had to get out of the way of the called strike 3.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

BREAKING: Zack Hample is still a dipshit.

https://twitter.com/zack_hample/status/876677039897493505

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

tinstaach posted:

BREAKING: Zack Hample is still a dipshit.

Goddamn, I had totally forgotten about this guy and didn't realize he was still a thing.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Timby posted:

Nope. And he had to get out of the way of the called strike 3.

Saying he had to get out of the way is overstating it a bit. Yeah he did the "Whoops the pitch almost hit me" thing batters like to do when fishing for a call but the pitch was definitely well inside and not close to being a strike

The pitch just barely got into the batter's box

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I'm laughing pretty hard at the idea of Fangraphs getting mad at Paul Sporer for cursing on Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/sporer/status/876677296358395904

I don't think he's worried

• Locked thread