Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

he just..pimp slapped my ranger down when he manages to catch me once while I try to deal with his extra buddies I cant

I don't mind learning a boss fight but having to restart the whole thing again is just annoying

even the corpse runs in dark souls were less annoying than this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
If you haven't seen it, https://www.poelab.com has the daily lab layouts/phases. Speeds things up.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

frajaq posted:

he just..pimp slapped my ranger down when he manages to catch me once while I try to deal with his extra buddies I cant

I don't mind learning a boss fight but having to restart the whole thing again is just annoying

My advice is to only attempt the labyrinth if you're strong enough to kill Malachai in that difficulty without dying. So clear out A4 before doing the labyrinth.

You can also read up on exactly how his mechanics work. It turns out if you take specific actions in the first or second fights, the extra mechanics will not transfer into the second or third.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

frajaq posted:

If Izaro is giving you trouble, just ignore lab for another ten levels and come back when the fight is far beneath your level. I never bother with normal lab until I'm already level 45 or so because it's so much easier with better damage and health pool.

Hell, on my first character of a league I'm usually so focused on leveling and progressing to maps fast that I forget lab even exists until I'm level 60.

Also, this site is really helpful:

whypick1 posted:

If you haven't seen it, https://www.poelab.com has the daily lab layouts/phases. Speeds things up.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'll follow the advice here, it's just that I beat the labyrinth on normal really easy and this sudden jump in difficulty on Cruel startled me a bit

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

frajaq posted:

I'll follow the advice here, it's just that I beat the labyrinth on normal really easy and this sudden jump in difficulty on Cruel startled me a bit

Your health is too low.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

frajaq posted:

yeah, the difficulty for the "cruel" lab isn't actually cruel difficulty, its more like merciless. I typically do the normal lab myself, come back for cruel and merc once i'm in maps, and then get a carry for uber.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I go back for Cruel when I'm in or just done with act 4.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Kild posted:

Your health is too low.

This looks better? :v:

I think my next big node should be to get Golem's Blood it seems... or some Life Leech

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

frajaq posted:

This looks better? :v:

I think my next big node should be to get Golem's Blood it seems... or some Life Leech

I find evasion to be a bad defensive stat. Eventually one hit is going to get through, and because you have focused on evasion, you wont have enough health or armour to absorb the blow.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

How are trap builds as starters? I did a static striking warrior in the first round of beta, which was fine, but some of the suggested gear like bringer of rain was in high demand and hard to get. I know totem stuff is popular, but I did a totem build in hardcore about a year ago, and found it was so boring it made me want to hammer nails through my dick.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

NPR Journalizard posted:

I find evasion to be a bad defensive stat. Eventually one hit is going to get through, and because you have focused on evasion, you wont have enough health or armour to absorb the blow.

Evasion/dodge won't keep you safe, it instead helps you conserve resources like flasks. Combine with a good kiting skill for maximum effect, and never skimp on HP and non-armor-based mitigation.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I think my issues with the game are mostly from not being used to this type of game, I never played any of the Diablos and only checked this out because Kripp played it on a few streams and it looked interesting plus it was F2P. I actually talked to NPCs and explored all maps reading the lore while lvling :v:

It seems the correct way to play is to just rush through all the difficulties, not even using the leaguestones, ignoring the sidequests besides the ones that give you skillpoints or movement speed flask, until you reach the endgame of the map system and getting gear to actually do the tough bosses. Oh and also meticulously plan and theorycraft your build beforehand. Did I get this right?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

frajaq posted:

I think my issues with the game are mostly from not being used to this type of game, I never played any of the Diablos and only checked this out because Kripp played it on a few streams and it looked interesting plus it was F2P. I actually talked to NPCs and explored all maps reading the lore while lvling :v:

It seems the correct way to play is to just rush through all the difficulties, not even using the leaguestones, ignoring the sidequests besides the ones that give you skillpoints or movement speed flask, until you reach the endgame of the map system and getting gear to actually do the tough bosses. Oh and also meticulously plan and theorycraft your build beforehand. Did I get this right?

Yeah mostly except you need more life.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

You can also just copy somebody else's build guide, which is probably the best way to start out.

And unless you're CI, get more life.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

frajaq posted:

The first time round, you are undoubtedly playing it correctly. Read the lore, do all the quests, enjoy the game.

Just keep in mind that you are talking to people who have done those quests a lot. Like, a whole bunch. I have gotten a measly 6 characters to lvl 70+, which means I have done those quests 18 times each minimum, because I have a bunch of characters that never made it past cruel. You start to want to slog through it asap after a while.

And I have never theorycrafted a thing. To work out what character I want to play, I usually pick a skill that I think is cool looking, then find a build that looks doable with a budget within my reach. At this stage the general thrust of them is "Focus on defense for normal, then when you get to cruel, focus on defence but start picking up damage nodes within reach, then when you start merc, focus on defence till you feel comfortable, then more damage nodes".

http://timtips.com/buildbrowser/#/list helps for choosing a build this way.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I tend to do the opposite. Prioritize damage nodes and keystones in Normal where I have to try really really hard to die, then work on defenses starting in Cruel. Obviously depends on what the final tree looks like though.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

frajaq posted:

The "correct" way to play is whichever way you enjoy the most. That said, if your goal is to get to endgame and push the hard content as efficiently as possible, then yes, do these things. Although using the leaguestones you find while leveling is fine to do. Essence ones will help you craft gear on the cheap as you progress.

Filthy Monkey posted:

How are trap builds as starters? I did a static striking warrior in the first round of beta, which was fine, but some of the suggested gear like bringer of rain was in high demand and hard to get. I know totem stuff is popular, but I did a totem build in hardcore about a year ago, and found it was so boring it made me want to hammer nails through my dick.

I feel like Shadow trappers (fire traps, ice traps, or bladefall traps especially) are some of the easiest starter builds, yeah. Very loose on the gearing requirements, though you'll really want a 5-link as soon as possible. It has been a couple leagues since I played one, but nothing super significant has changed since then.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
You can just use deerstalkers, no need for an early 5-6L

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

please knock Mom! posted:

You can just use deerstalkers, no need for an early 5-6L

Oh yeah, if you're using a spell that needs to be linked to Trap Support like bladefall then Deerstalkers are the perfect early game solution. Fire Trap and Ice Trap want those real links though.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Story time before the beta reset:

I've ran three characters on beta.

- Essence Drain w/new Decay on Occultist.
- Herald of Ash/Overkill/Writhing Jar Ranger, before I figured out Ash is no longer an Ignite...
- RF Totems.

Essence Drain is Essence Drain and has all the strengths and weaknesses it had before. Ash Prolif is dead, womp. Let me tell you about RF Totems though.

If you are in the camp of people who are having trouble finding survivability or damage, boy do I have a treat for you! At SSF Hardcore, we have stats that look like so:

I think I died 3 or 4 times on my ED character on my way to end of Act 7, and ED is a build I'm pretty intimately familiar with (Although I was not running close to capped Resistances, so ymmv). I don't think I could die except for gross negligence with the totem guy. If you want to feel like a god, play some totems yo.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Filthy Monkey posted:

very good imo

inherent trap skills seem to fall off in lategame, except for Ice Trap (still good even without conversions), but Trap linked to big dps skills like Vortex or Bladefall still murder everything

one caveat obv: you have to play Saboteur

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Saboteur doesn't seem very popular from what I've seen. Been looking up trap and mine builds, and a good number of them seem to be using assassin. I am kind of poo poo at making builds myself right now, as I haven't played the game that much. This Bladefall saboteur seemed like the most popular build. Has the most posts, anyway.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1679157

Some of the arc mine builds using tremor rod look interesting too.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1627825

I honestly have no idea what is viable, really. Looking for 3.0 beta too, and most of the stuff hasn't been updated.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Saboteur is fine, but the "increased damage/area per trap/mine" node encourages a very strange style of play where you throw out mines or traps without intending to use them against monsters. The main reason to take the ascendancy is to get the nodes that make traps and mines more viable mechanically. The large boost to trap cooldown recovery means the cooldown won't limit your DPS as much in boss battles (though it probably still isn't enough) and the increased mine arming speed means you can use mines almost like a real skill.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
frostbolt-mines saboteur is also a very good (and kinda cheap) build (watch Havoc during the one week)

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Story time before the beta reset:

I've ran three characters on beta.

- Essence Drain w/new Decay on Occultist.
- Herald of Ash/Overkill/Writhing Jar Ranger, before I figured out Ash is no longer an Ignite...
- RF Totems.

Essence Drain is Essence Drain and has all the strengths and weaknesses it had before. Ash Prolif is dead, womp. Let me tell you about RF Totems though.

If you are in the camp of people who are having trouble finding survivability or damage, boy do I have a treat for you! At SSF Hardcore, we have stats that look like so:

I think I died 3 or 4 times on my ED character on my way to end of Act 7, and ED is a build I'm pretty intimately familiar with (Although I was not running close to capped Resistances, so ymmv). I don't think I could die except for gross negligence with the totem guy. If you want to feel like a god, play some totems yo.

What was your choice of spells/attacks before you could get the RF Totems going? I tried Firestorm Totems plus self-cast Firestorm and it was okayish.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When is the Beta reset? Today, tomorrow?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

They aren't announcing a specific date ahead of time. Sometime this week. I imagine it will be Friday at the latest.

Edit: Watching some vidoes, I do think I'll try an arc mines saboteur after the beta reset. See how it works. From what I read Saboteur has better ease of use and feel with the faster arm speed, but assassin has higher dps. For general mapping though, the saboteur looks like a good pick. It isn't like I am a racer looking for something super endgame. Just something to gently caress around with in the beta for a week or two while wearing poo poo gear.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 19, 2017

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Weird thing I noticed, Herald of Ash can be supported by DoT gems like Increased Burning Damage and Rapid Decay, they don't show up on tooltip, but it does increase mana reservation. I tested this by grabbing a driftwood club (the weapon with the least variance), and smacking A1 coast zombies with autoattack. On average, with those enemies, the HoA would deal ~7d without support gems, while having supports would deal ~12d.

So linking up your HoA works. I'm still not convinced it's actually viable, the HoA burn ring radius is too small and it can't reliably put a big ignite on an enemy (it's probably easier to leave the mana unreserved and slam a few earthquakes straight on top of the enemies).

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
looks like part of their solution to atlas manipulation is to tie some of the better pantheon protections to unpopular maps? We got High Gardens and Lair tied to the Solaris and Lunaris last benefits, for example.

New datamined powers:

Soul of Solaris (major god)

6% Physical Damage Reduction if there's only one Enemy nearby 10% chance to take 50% less Damage from Area Hits
Penitentiary Incarcerator 5% reduced Elemental Damage taken if you haven't been Hit Recently
Lady Stormflay Take no Extra Damage from Critical Strikes if you have taken a Critical Strike Recently
Suncaller Asha 50% chance to avoid Ailments from Critical Strikes

Soul of Lunaris (major god)

1% Physical Damage Reduction for each nearby Enemy, up to 8%
1% increased Movement Speed for each nearby Enemy, up to 8%
Arachnoxia 10% chance to avoid Projectile Damage
Master of the Blade 5% chance to Dodge Attacks and Spells if you've been Hit Recently
Lycius, Midnight's Howl 50% chance to avoid Projectiles that have Chained

Soul of Gruthkul (minor god)

+5% chance to Evade Attacks if you've taken a Savage Hit recently
1% Physical Damage Reduction for each Hit you've taken Recently up to a maximum of 5%
Legius Garhall Enemies that have Hit you with an Attack Recently have 10% reduced Attack Speed

Soul of Yugul (minor god)

20% reduced Reflected Damage taken
5% increased (???) Cold Damage taken if you've been Hit Recently
Mother Phyia 25% chance to Reflect Chill and Freeze

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
How do you activate the God powers? I got two minor God powers in act 6 and I can't figure out what to do.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

just click on them in the atlas of gods, will have a little yellow outline around the ones you have active.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Mr. Despair posted:

just click on them in the atlas of gods, will have a little yellow outline around the ones you have active.

I tried that, didn't work. Do I have to kill a major god first?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Cheap Trick posted:

What was your choice of spells/attacks before you could get the RF Totems going? I tried Firestorm Totems plus self-cast Firestorm and it was okayish.

Find a fat 2-hander and cast Molten Strike until you can get Sunder. If you find strong phys weapons, keep running Sunder. If you find a great caster weapon, you can run Firestorm. I transition to Ancestral Bond at level 40. The first 4 acts tend to be pretty clunky unless you find a great weapon. Truth be told, you can run RF on a single totem as soon as you get RF, but at level 40, you'll have the points to get to Holy Fire, Arsonist, and some other Life nodes. It really melts stuff and it's comfortable to transition to AB at that point.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 19, 2017

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Lechtansi posted:

I tried that, didn't work. Do I have to kill a major god first?

Yeah, you can't use powers unless you take them, but you should be free to do it as soon as you kill tukohama (although since it's the only one available at that point you're kind of locked into having it on no matter what, which might be what you're seeing).

e. made this to try and explain it

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Let me see if I understand these currencies right: At the end of this Legacy League and start of patch 3.0, all my characters and equipment/currency in the stash will be transferred to Standard correct? Which is a mode where not a lot of people play and the economy is kinda hosed?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Correct, except I imagine there will be some time between Legacy ending and 3.0 dropping. When Legacy ends the transfer happens. Characters transfer as-is. League stash become remove-only tabs in your Standard stash, Atlas progression gets merged, hideout/Master level takes whichever is the highest between the two (thankfully with 3.0 you'll be able to load/save Hideout layouts so you don't have to spend time playing Barbie's Dream House every league).

I only go into Standard to try out build ideas because I have a bunch of 60+ characters on there, so I can see if they suck at end game before wasting my time leveling it.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 19, 2017

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah, Standard is a dumping ground for most people. Some people like playing on it and I can't really fault them for it, but it seems so boring. But hey, whatever makes people happy.

I too, like many, use it for a testing ground. You typically get a free full respec every league so I always have a level 90+ character with a blank slate ready to test whatever dumb ideas I have.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

whypick1 posted:

Correct, except I imagine there will be some time between Legacy ending and 3.0 dropping. When Legacy ends the transfer happens. Characters transfer as-is. League stash become remove-only tabs in your Standard stash, Atlas progression gets merged, hideout/Master level takes whichever is the highest between the two (thankfully with 3.0 you'll be able to load/save Hideout layouts so you don't have to spend time playing Barbie's Dream House every league).

I only go into Standard to try out build ideas because I have a bunch of 60+ characters on there, so I can see if they suck at end game before wasting my time leveling it.

Alright thanks, well if you or any goons that helped me want this poo poo just post your in-game name and add Jhiral

I'm just gonna wait for 3.0 and don't see myself playing Standard, so I dont need this poo poo in the current League anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

*eyes tabula rasa* my friend,

• Locked thread