Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

McSpanky posted:

"You wanna see Lucy's tits?" had me dying.

Yeah, that whole scene was pretty much what sold me on the show. I never finished the book so I wasn't very invested to start with but she killed it so hard there

Jerusalem posted:

Seriously, every time she appears it's like everybody else disappears off the screen.

emptyquotin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Count me as another person who never made it all the way through the book for so many reasons (so many) and loves this show and Gillian Anderson all the time.

Also Soothing Vapors I love your new av!!! :swoon:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

My take on that is that the Old Gods believe in the reciprocal relationship: prayers = favors/attention. The New Gods, on the other hand, have abandoned the quid quo pro direct-arrangement for diffused belief from large masses. When population densities were much lower, gods needed direct worship to become powerful enough regionally to manipulate the world. Now that everyone on the planet, to some extent, believes in the New Gods of Technology, Media, and Information they don't need direct prayers: 7 billion people have some form of belief in them. We can see this a little bit at the end with Easter, who even though she has no "direct followers," still has the power to blight every crop: diffuse belief is powerful.

Wednesday in the finale is basically throwing down and saying "one fervent believer is worth more than all the chattel masses."

I also like how this is inverted in the case of Jesus (Jesi?). He would undoubtedly be the most powerful god of all of them (old or new), even in today's world where people are losing faith, but instead of one all powerful Jesus, there is a Jesus for every denomination/variation in belief. His power is defused and none of them are all that strong individually.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would really like to see Gnostic Jesus, they could have him be the same as the dope-smokin' Commie Jesus that has always enjoyed a moderate following.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Never read the book and really enjoyed the season, wish it was longer. It did slow down too much at times but it was very well done so I forgive it. My mind is swirling with who Shadow could be and what he means, so that's good!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Im just down for whatever nightmare fuel Fuller wants to throw at the world.

A good show is a bonus.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
This episode was a good reminder that the Old Gods can be assholes too. Nunyunnini died to save its people. By contrast, Easter has been doing relatively alright and Wednesday talks her into being more greedy for followers. He talks her into withholding food from the masses until they worship her. He talks her into having an abusive relationship with people.

The music is hopeful wonderment music as she starves the planet.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 19, 2017

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Kristen Chenoweth loving killed it as Ostara. The moment she reveals her powers is stunning.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Been holding off to see how the season ended. Liked it enough to spend my 5bux.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

This episode was a good reminder that the Old Gods are assholes too.

I did love the irony of it all. We're told the villainous, faithless New Gods take and take and don't give back and that the Old Gods give back. This is a good reminder that the Old Gods give back what they took in the first place. The New Gods are the food distribution networks and GMOs and fresh-out-of-the-lab pesticides and fertilizers that have made famine a thing of the past in America. They might not give back in quite the same way, but they are 21st century prosperity and the things they take — your time and attention — aren't your food.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I forgot to mention I was cracking up when that guy gets in the ice cream truck to valet park it.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
So Wednesday is the bad guy, right? Machinated everything that has gone wrong in Shadow's life for 3 years, framing people for murder and using that information to talk Easter into destroying humanities food sources? Bad guys are not wrong, they are just assholes, basically?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

pr0p posted:

So Wednesday is the bad guy, right? Machinated everything that has gone wrong in Shadow's life for 3 years, framing people for murder and using that information to talk Easter into destroying humanities food sources? Bad guys are not wrong, they are just assholes, basically?

Well he is a god

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Kristen Chenoweth loving killed it as Ostara. The moment she reveals her powers is stunning.

Yeah, too bad in reality the immediate die-off of all the crops and vegetation on earth would put us all into The Road Warrior mode in about a week's time. Not even the Goddess of Media would be able to spin a rosy tone on things.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Well he is a god

They gently caress with you. That's what they do.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, too bad in reality the immediate die-off of all the crops and vegetation on earth would put us all into The Road Warrior mode in about a week's time. Not even the Goddess of Media would be able to spin a rosy tone on things.

I'm sure Media doesn't want all her believers dying of starvation so she's kind of over a barrel here... better get that message of prayer out there or they'll all hosed.

Or she calls Ostara's bluff doesn't do a thing and Ostara caves eventually because it's not as though she can survive a mass die off of people either.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
I mean, Media sounded shocked and concerned after she blighted the land. "What have you done?" Also prompting World to declare the war on. It's a pretty good example of how the New Gods might have all this hubris but the Old Gods can still be drat powerful.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CaveGrinch posted:

I'm sure Media doesn't want all her believers dying of starvation so she's kind of over a barrel here... better get that message of prayer out there or they'll all hosed.

Or she calls Ostara's bluff doesn't do a thing and Ostara caves eventually because it's not as though she can survive a mass die off of people either.

Except the New Gods sort of rely on the people becoming more atheistic and worshiping passively. Telling everyone to pray to a forgotten Goddess to make all the food come back is why the war is on - the Old Gods have tipped their hand and it forces the New Gods to become more overt in their actions.

I was kind of disappointed we didn't see White Christian Conservative Jesus at the party, but I think they covered that base during the Vulcan episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I would have loved to see a blonde, ripped Jeezus with an AR-15 and a beer.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

felt the ending was a bit poo poo tbqh

they should just keep investing in casting and stop doing lovely sfx because imho it is just loving up the great acting that is going on

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

So what happens on like, Indian Reservations? Since they don't worship Easter and have their own rituals and sets of gods, wouldn't their agriculture be fine?

And seeing this wouldn't everyone be like "Oh wow looks like the Navajos (or whichever tribe) had the right idea all along. C U L8R Ostara."?

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
It's certainly an interesting thing that I hope isn't dropped. The whole scene was made new for the show so who is to say how it'll go.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Cojawfee posted:

I forgot to mention I was cracking up when that guy gets in the ice cream truck to valet park it.

I fuckin loved this. This series has been really good at having these little comedy moments in the background.

Trillhouse posted:

So what happens on like, Indian Reservations? Since they don't worship Easter and have their own rituals and sets of gods, wouldn't their agriculture be fine?

And seeing this wouldn't everyone be like "Oh wow looks like the Navajos (or whichever tribe) had the right idea all along. C U L8R Ostara."?

We might see more of native gods in the next season, I'm guessing. Or, hoping. I'm really interested to see where this is gonna go.

pr0p posted:

They're all bad, dogg. I don't think there are good guys. There's just Side A and Side B.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Trillhouse posted:

Pretty sure most people celebrate the spring equinox to some degree. They made a whole point about this not being a christian Easter, and resurrected Jesus is just a hanger on.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

They're all bad, dogg. I don't think there are good guys. There's just Side A and Side B.

I'd say Anubis is a pretty chill God, all things considered. The Zorya Sisters, too.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd say Anubis is a pretty chill God, all things considered. The Zorya Sisters, too.

Ah yeah, you have a point. Jaquel and Ibis are pretty chill and I really hope we see more of the both of them. I super dig their dynamic. Same with the sisters.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

That last Wednesday scene gave me chills, man. :swoon:

Also Faraday Jesus is best Jesus.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I dunno, didn't Jacquel mislead that Egyptian woman about her afterlife?

dead comedy forums posted:

felt the ending was a bit poo poo tbqh

they should just keep investing in casting and stop doing lovely sfx because imho it is just loving up the great acting that is going on

I liked a lot of the individual moments of the episode but I have to agree about the effects, for some reason they went downhill at Easter's house:
- They did digital de-aging on Chenoweth, which was really distracting. Either spend more money to make it unnoticable, or go overboard and make it noticeable on purpose like make her glow or something
- Mr World's pixellated appearance just looked overdone, like they took the pixellated appearance from the police station which was a tolerable amount and doubled it. If they scaled it back to how much they had at the police station or if they limited it to his face being projected on the anonymous goon's face it would've looked a lot better
- The day shot for night when Wednesday called in the storm clouds looked pretty fake, but that's kind of hard to pull of to begin with
- Ian McShane put in a great performance when he revealed his name but the camera movement and thunder were just cartoonish

I dunno what happened, the CG during Bilquis' scenes were much better

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno, didn't Jacquel mislead that Egyptian woman about her afterlife?

I saw that scene differently. I think he chose correctly for her, and Bastet pushing her through the door was a wordless way of saying "I have more important things to do than entertain your skepticism and I've already been more than generous with my time."

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I wish they hadn't tried to make Wednesday's name reveal into some huge deal. Gee, I wasn't sure which one eyed war god who talks to ravens he was already, so surprising. I now also wish that Ian McShane played Odin on the MCU as well. And appeared in everything I watch.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
That was a bad reveal to end the season on. I'm casually watching and I caught on pretty quick. The ridding the earth of crops entirely thing was pretty good though. Laura is going to tell Shadow, but what can he do? I think Easter is going to use her last thing seen poo poo to somehow see Vulcan was killed by Wednesday (his last shot was the reflection of his eye).

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
ian mcshane is my friend and he is strong and just and good

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Worse ways to go than an eternity in the vagina nebula

Also, the fade to the saucy art after politely asking Shadow to gtfo means they banged right? Not a hair out of place afterwards, that's classy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Chop Sunni posted:

Also, the fade to the saucy art after politely asking Shadow to gtfo means they banged right? Not a hair out of place afterwards, that's classy.

Speaking of which, this episode had some great transitions:
- the red moon turns into Bilquis' afro in the 70's
- the lens flare from the disco ball falling turns into the sun in the window of the Air Persia jet
- Persian girl's heartrate monitor flatlining turns into the curb as Bilquis turns homeless
- in Shadow's nightmware, the bulffalo's eyes turn into the cadillac's headlights

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

etalian posted:

Another episode of Mad Sweeney getting owned

I'm trying to count how many ballshots he's had already. I think its 3, but the only ones I can confirm are the police station escape scene and this one. This is going to turn into Idiocracy soon unless he gets his coin back.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Ostara was :3: as heck.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CaveGrinch posted:

I mean, Media sounded shocked and concerned after she blighted the land. "What have you done?" Also prompting World to declare the war on. It's a pretty good example of how the New Gods might have all this hubris but the Old Gods can still be drat powerful.

I also saw her shock as a surprise at the realisation just how directly the Old Gods can manipulate the real world. The new gods, more or less by definition, are fairly hands-off. Media in particular seems all about influence and perception without ever taking direct action. And then Ostara just reaches out and changes the physical world on a massive scale. Chances are she might not ever have thought that would actually be possible.

Also, favourite little detail this episode: Showing us that Wednesday's car keys have a rabbit's foot attached to then right before he gleefully runs over all those bunnies. :allears:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I wish they hadn't tried to make Wednesday's name reveal into some huge deal. Gee, I wasn't sure which one eyed war god who talks to ravens he was already, so surprising. I now also wish that Ian McShane played Odin on the MCU as well. And appeared in everything I watch.
They haven't exactly been trying to make it a surprise, they had Media offer Wednesday warheads with ODIN stamped on the side a few eps ago. Tonight's scene was about Shadow finally believing, not us.

Also probably a little bit about making sure anyone as thick as this guy is fully up to speed

Sickening posted:

Who is odin? This more book poo poo?

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 19, 2017

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

evilmiera posted:

I'm trying to count how many ballshots he's had already. I think its 3, but the only ones I can confirm are the police station escape scene and this one. This is going to turn into Idiocracy soon unless he gets his coin back.

He won't be having baby leprachauns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Bert Roberge posted:

Ostara was :3: as heck.

I loved how Shadow got kind of giggly and flustered around her :3: