Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

I am enjoying being a squishier tank. Being a WAR with high dps numbers was fun but I would rather have actual ranking being challenging instead of tanking being easy and I need to get all of my challenge from squeezing out damage.

the biggest issue with being a squishier tank is that ffxiv is, comparatively, very stingy with its defensive cooldowns. cooldown usage is going to be much more important and much more targeted if our overall survivability is worse and we're going to have to lean on healers way more to make up that gap if the squishier tank paradigm continues into endgame content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Are instances not working at all right now or something? I don't see anything on the site news but I'm getting kicked and then 90002 errored forever every time I try to go in an instance. I was all hype I would be able to get past Pipin when I didn't see a huge crowd standing on top of him :(

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the biggest issue with being a squishier tank is that ffxiv is, comparatively, very stingy with its defensive cooldowns. cooldown usage is going to be much more important and much more targeted if our overall survivability is worse and we're going to have to lean on healers way more to make up that gap if the squishier tank paradigm continues into endgame content.

It already was much more targeted. You popped cooldowns for specific tank busters and specific pulls of trash that you'd pull way too much of, from the dev's point of view. Part of the issue was you were too tanky, so parry was actually worthless. We can argue that parry was lovely anyway, but it was essentially the only meldable tank stat, and if you needed it you'd meld it even if it was garbage because the alternative is to just die all the time. Healing in HW was pretty loving stupid. I'd go through entire max level dungeons spending about 95% of my time ignoring everything but doing damage. When you do that, you effectively only have one role and minor variations between them, and that's really lovely.

My bigger point, though, was just that it seems like there's been a bigger shift than people may realize just from looking at class numbers, and we really won't know how it all falls out until a few weeks from now at earliest, so maybe suggesting that 270 str gear will be best in slot is kind of stupid.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Can someone explain how ACT works? I've never used it before but now that stormblood's out I'm curious. I know someone in DGKK was using it already in Stormblood but I've never used it before so I dont know what I need to install to make it work.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

Can someone explain how ACT works? I've never used it before but now that stormblood's out I'm curious. I know someone in DGKK was using it already in Stormblood but I've never used it before so I dont know what I need to install to make it work.

It works by reading the combat logs that FF14 produces in real time I think. Thats why you can set it to pick up keywords from the logs and do a thing. I remember installing it was pretty easy but I never found it very useful, but I also never got up to real raider tier in HW.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Even if they make it so that savage bosses hit extra hard and tanks need a lot of HP to survive them, you still have the problem of excess HP being a waste. Like, if you need 50,000 HP to survive a tank buster, and you get some jewelry that increases your HP to 51,000, what does that extra 1,000 do for you? Absolutely nothing.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
petition to rename all the samurai abilities so they include "means x" in the name. like "Hakaze 'means downward slash'" or whatever the gently caress it means

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

SKULL.GIF posted:

I really wish RDM had a bit more depth/complexity to their rotation. Something like an additional effect to Fire/Stone that would make actually stacking Black or White mana to the detriment of Balance compelling would have been great. Like, get extra damage up from +30 to +50 mana disparity then immediately dump it to get back to balance, or something like that, like MCH's cooldown mechanic.

RDM right now feels really simplistic.

Red Mage is cool and good and I love it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Minrad posted:

petition to rename all the samurai abilities so they include "means x" in the name. like "Hakaze 'means downward slash'" or whatever the gently caress it means

Same but also for red mage abilities. Mostly because I want the AOE ability to be translated literally as Little Windmill.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Minrad posted:

petition to rename all the samurai abilities so they include "means x" in the name. like "Translator's note: Hakaze 'means downward slash'" or whatever the gently caress it means

fixed.

Fister Roboto posted:

Even if they make it so that savage bosses hit extra hard and tanks need a lot of HP to survive them, you still have the problem of excess HP being a waste. Like, if you need 50,000 HP to survive a tank buster, and you get some jewelry that increases your HP to 51,000, what does that extra 1,000 do for you? Absolutely nothing.

It lets you not die to the next auto attack.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

It lets you not die to the next auto attack.

I'm assuming that 50k is enough to survive the tank buster and any followups. My point is that if X is enough for a tank to survive a fight, anything more than X is useless. DPS and healers will get jewelry upgrades that help make the fight faster, but tanks won't. Instead they get a slightly larger HP buffer. Exciting stuff.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I really wish RDM had a bit more depth/complexity to their rotation. Something like an additional effect to Fire/Stone that would make actually stacking Black or White mana to the detriment of Balance compelling would have been great. Like, get extra damage up from +30 to +50 mana disparity then immediately dump it to get back to balance, or something like that, like MCH's cooldown mechanic.

RDM right now feels really simplistic.

I seriously cannot believe RDM don't get Moulinet until post-50, meaning any 50 synced content effectively makes your already-mediocre AoE both insanely boring and also really awful. Just making you get that skill at 50 (and Redoublement sometime before then) would be really nice.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Am I correct in assuming that the current WHM meta is to roll AST or SMN?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lizard Wizard posted:

You aren't. WHM is very strong, they just have a really boring/bad mechanic tacked onto them for no reason, and one of their new spells sorta sucks.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Countblanc posted:

You aren't. WHM is very strong, they just have a really boring/bad mechanic tacked onto them for no reason, and one of their new spells sorta sucks.

Ok, but aren't the other classes also good and have cooler mechanics?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

All classes are cool and good.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I like whm, not having cleric stance is fantastic but it feels stupidly simple, not everyone would like it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Gathering is kinda extra unfun now. The nodes are too loving far apart and just all surrounded by enemies. Plus, you die to one hit from everything.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mordiceius what the gently caress did you do

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

From what I can tell (having switched from AST and SCH to WHM for the Stormblood story stuff), WHM is very good with MP management now and retained it's excellent AOE damage abilities. It just didn't get any cool new abilities to make it more versatile like AST or SCH already were.

From looking at the patch notes, SCH looks like it's the only one that came out worse in Stormblood than in Heavensward (worse Energy Drain, less DOTs, less fairy healing?), but I haven't actually tried playing it in Stormblood yet. I doubt it's actually bad or anything, I only switched to WHM because I wanted to save the more complicated healers for when I'm leveling on dungeons and roulettes instead of the story quests.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

SCH lost mana neutral damage output, most AoE, virus and a bit of fairy potency. The only ability of note between 60 and 70 is a + critical chance to throw on bosses.

I mean, aetherpact could be amazing at 70 but SCH is kinda lack luster compared to AST now.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is it just me or is leveling gatherers slightly faster now? I know new expansions out and here I am working on a level 37 BTN lol.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I think they did a really good job with the Pool of Tribute. Can't wait for hard and EX modes, and for my compensation for the days the server didn't work.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
WHM is pretty strong, really. Their major issue enjoyability wise for me was their MP, and that's been largely solved. I'd say they're hands down the best healer in PvP and in dungeons. Basically, in content where you can't count on the rest of the team to be stellar, a WHM is great. They can do good damage on their own compared to other healers, and they do a lot of healing as well (obviously). Their 70 move stinks and lilies are a bit impractical for situations in which you've mapped out the entire encounter and timers already in your head. But that's a pretty small minority of what people do with their healers. To be honest, I think SCH are what suffered the most. I wonder how much those later skills are going to carry them.

Putting that aside though, I'd like to take a moment to complain about the AST job gauge. I didn't mind the gaudy thing when I saw it in the videos. Once I played with it I realised all the card mechanics are no longer buffs and are shoved into the dumb gauge. The issue with this being I can no longer click off a held card or royal road effect should I see fit to do so. It doesn't come up that often, but what gives? Am I missing or something, or did they really take that away so they could have some fancy gauge?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The AST buffs turning into the gauge is an intentional nerf as far as I'm concerned

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Good to see Krile making GBS threads on Alphinaud continuing into another expansion.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I climbed a tower. I did not succeed at reaching the top. I'll try again another day I'm sure

Habits
Feb 25, 2008

Assume an accursed shape
cleanse through purity within

This has been an interesting expansion. At least I've made it past Raubahn.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

UHD posted:

Good to see Krile making GBS threads on Alphinaud continuing into another expansion.

they're a very cute couple

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
WHM is good because it's the only healer to really have a dynamic change from how they used to play. AST is practically the same but with nerfed MP regen, and SCH is slightly worse.

Also AST is the worst healer for 50/60 roulette just because half the time they'll get stuck not being able to use Gravity. :colbert:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Thumbtacks posted:

I don't know if now would be the best time to gently caress around with it, since apparently the stormblood support might not be all there. But in general you install ACT itself, then you install the FFXIV plugin so it knows how to parse XIV (since ACT is more of a framework that can deal with multiple games), and then you install a plugin to display a little DPS overlay window. Once everything works it's mostly just set-and-forget.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Lizard Wizard posted:

are you playing this game at a level where it matters? like unless you're planning on optimizing your static for clearing savage in the first 1-2 weeks then just play what you think will be fun for you.

no class is dead. some classes are less optimal than other classes in the top 1% of the game.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
AST can't see a fellow AST's cards in the party buff window anymore and that's pretty rough

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Please tell me this isn't the same character lockout error people were getting from Susano....

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

TheRagamuffin posted:

Please tell me this isn't the same character lockout error people were getting from Susano....

I've been getting these occasionally (it actually started some time before Stormblood). I thought it was a hardware problem with my PC but a lot of other people have been getting them too, apparently.

In some instances I could not get the game to work again until I rebooted my computer.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Here's a simple macro to replace a cross-class spell of your choosing ( ##### ) with Protect, cast it, and then switch back

code:
/macroicon Protect
/aaction ##### off
/aaction Protect on
/ac Protect <wait.3>
/aaction Protect off
/aaction ##### on

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I've been getting these occasionally (it actually started some time before Stormblood). I thought it was a hardware problem with my PC but a lot of other people have been getting them too, apparently.

In some instances I could not get the game to work again until I rebooted my computer.

Rebooting doesn't fix it.

Edit: VVVVVVV Holy poo poo :swoon: VVVVVVV

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I mentioned this in FC chat but a fun way to break a rude DPS emotionally as a healer is to Rescue him when he's mid-LB and then healer LB instead

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Lizard Wizard posted:

lilies are okay. they aren't useless, you just can't really use them in any interesting way. they happen and your abilities come up slightly faster. that's useful in most content, and not so much in the hardest content where you're using cooldowns in a very specific order (but it doesn't hurt the latter)
confessions are useless trash and you probably could play this entire expansion without putting planery whatever in your bars
thin air is straight busted and divine benison's actually decent for tankbusters: top off tank with cure II and press divine penis, done.

they have the strongest burst single target & aoe healing, the best mana regen by a wide margin, and the best aoe damage by a wide margin after scholar's aoe got dumpstered. cure III might even be a really powerful ability this expansion: it exploits how broken thin air is and there's at least one stack and heal fight to use it on in the expansion already (susanoo)

people are mostly upset that whm didn't get enough "new" stuff but thin air and assize being 60 seconds and cleric stance being gone are all so loving good I don't really care what reddit thinks of the other new stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Minrad posted:

lilies are okay. they aren't useless, you just can't really use them in any interesting way. they happen and your abilities come up slightly faster. that's useful in most content, and not so much in the hardest content where you're using cooldowns in a very specific order (but it doesn't hurt the latter)
confessions are useless trash and you probably could play this entire expansion without putting planery whatever in your bars
thin air is straight busted and divine benison's actually decent for tankbusters: top off tank with cure II and press divine penis, done.

they have the strongest burst single target & aoe healing, the best mana regen by a wide margin, and the best aoe damage by a wide margin after scholar's aoe got dumpstered. cure III might even be a really powerful ability this expansion: it exploits how broken thin air is and there's at least one stack and heal fight to use it on in the expansion already (susanoo)

people are mostly upset that whm didn't get enough "new" stuff but thin air and assize being 60 seconds and cleric stance being gone are all so loving good I don't really care what reddit thinks of the other new stuff.

Yeah WHM is finally exactly what it is in every other FF game with jobs. Really really good at it's job but very very boring conceptually and to play.