Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Forza 7's racing music better be from Fury Road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
god bless whoever meticulously rusted the ford falcon with 1000 tiny decals :perfect:

i browse the user created stuff on fh3 and it seems most of it is imported from previous games. is this a thing and how far have some people taken their pokemon designs?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I hope they make the PC menu's better, browsing through cars and paint jobs on PC in FH3 is kind of tedious

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My birthday is the 23rd.

Of course I am in on this.

I might take a vacation week off work for this. (Depends on if I can play in 4K on my Sony 55" 4K TV on my X-Box One-S... probably I can't but I'll still buy the game but have to buy the X-Box-X or build a PC, THEN take a week off work.)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

True, if I had just started that process just now I would agree, but I've already invested like 2-3 months into this process already with the games I already wanted to play and still chugging along fine. FM5 being my absolute last acquisition since I waited for it to go on sale again after this thread talked me out of jumping on it last time.

And yeah, 5 sucks hard, especially the achievement list, so definitely not going to be batting for 1000 GS on that one.

Since you probably have the most up-to-date and present opinion about all the Forza games, what's the best Forza in your opinion?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

On the topic of tracks disappearing, I think the game would be better if these tracks were removed because they're terrible:

Circuit of the Americas
Hockenheimring
Sebring
Silverstone
Test Track Airfield
Top Gear Test Track
Yas Marina

They should also remove Daytona, Indianapolis and Miami Homestead and instead replace them with the old Sunset Peninsula track, which was much more fun to race around than any of those licensed tracks. Turn 10 have done a lot of great things but this shift to a heavier focus on licensed tracks while excellent fictional tracks are left behind has dulled the game a bit. Additions like Brands Hatch and Watkins Glen are good because they have a lot of character and are genuinely fun to race around, but there's too many flat and ugly licensed tracks that drag the experience down.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

Turn 10 have done a lot of great things but this shift to a heavier focus on licensed tracks while excellent fictional tracks are left behind has dulled the game a bit.

This is incorrect and false, especially since half the fun of Forza is getting to experience places and cars I probably never will in real life.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also Hockenheim and Sebring are god tracks along with Homestead roval.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Is not liking Sebring a banable offense?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SUNKOS posted:

On the topic of tracks disappearing, I think the game would be better if these tracks were removed because they're terrible:

Circuit of the Americas
Hockenheimring
Sebring
Silverstone
Top Gear Test Track
get the gently caress outta here

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Nah. Rio might be bad to race but it's beautiful. More tracks that are not in giant parking lots are always welcome.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Sebring is worth keeping just for the seam-tastic right u-turn after the back straightaway. Silverstone is like the Ann Veal of tracks - I can be five minutes removed from having done 12 laps and not remember a thing about the layout. Plus career mode only ever seems to have you drive it in the rain.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

SUNKOS posted:

Hockenheimring
Sebring
Silverstone
Top Gear Test Track

You are an awful person with awful opinions.

SUNKOS posted:

Circuit of the Americas
Yas Marina

But there might be just a little hope for you yet.

Sebastian Flyte fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 19, 2017

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
For real the TG Test Track is awful to race on.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

SUNKOS posted:

Circuit of the Americas
Hockenheimring
Sebring
Silverstone
Test Track Airfield
Top Gear Test Track
Yas Marina

They should also remove Daytona, Indianapolis and Miami Homestead and instead replace them with the old Sunset Peninsula track, which was much more fun to race around than any of those licensed tracks. Turn 10 have done a lot of great things but this shift to a heavier focus on licensed tracks while excellent fictional tracks are left behind has dulled the game a bit. Additions like Brands Hatch and Watkins Glen are good because they have a lot of character and are genuinely fun to race around, but there's too many flat and ugly licensed tracks that drag the experience down.

Who the gently caress are you and why are your opinions so loving horrible

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

What's so good about Sebring other than the aforementioned back straight which is only notably unique because the final turn is on an uneven surface? You could take that small section and build a much better fantasy track around it which isn't so flat and full of dull 90 degree turns. Sebring is the same level of trash as the snake tracks from Forza 2.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Forza 7 sweet hot wheels tracks, no joke.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

cowboy elvis posted:

For real the TG Test Track is awful to race on.
Yes but every car nerd on earth dreams of setting a solo lap time from a standing start.

SUNKOS posted:

What's so good about Sebring other than the aforementioned back straight which is only notably unique because the final turn is on an uneven surface? You could take that small section and build a much better fantasy track around it which isn't so flat and full of dull 90 degree turns. Sebring is the same level of trash as the snake tracks from Forza 2.
It's also one of the endurance racing triple crown. Yas and Nordschleife have a bunch of excessively difficult geometry on them too; it's how it's composed together that makes one poo poo and the other the End Boss of motorsport.

... now, Bathurst. There is is a track I could happily never race again. Zero room for overtaking on half the track and the other half is a straight. If someone crashes on the front half they're walled in everywhere and can plug up the full width of pavement, so multiplayer essentially comes down to hoping someone brakes late on the last three turns. It's rare that the driver starting in pole position isn't the winner if they drive conservatively, and in single-player you basically need to spend a Ghost card to get anywhere.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 19, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You can overtake over the mountain at Bathurst, I've made moves stick through the Chase and Dipper but you're mostly right in that half the track is just drafting. Sebring owns because the middle sector is this awesome sequence of flat out turns in most cars, it has the world's hardest hairpin and the first turn is wonderfully hard to get right.

Silverstone can gently caress off though.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I always join the goon groups for Forza and never race with anyone.

Forza 7 will be different,I'm sure of it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

GreatGreen posted:

Since you probably have the most up-to-date and present opinion about all the Forza games, what's the best Forza in your opinion?

I recently went back and drove each of them in order on a lap of the 'Ring using my ridiculous collection of fake plastic steering wheels;

Forza 2 has one of the most demanding driving models and I'd say it arguably feels better with a wheel than in 3 and 4 (which both improve on controller drive feel), there's a big graphical upgrade from 2 to 3, and a slight refinement for 4,
2 is very difficult to drive cleanly so provides a ton of high intensity driving in slower cars but it isn't a false difficulty to replicate realism like Project Cars/other 'sims' - just slippery and unforgiving,
3 has some of the best tracks ever in the series,
4 has the really annoying inability to turn driver aids completely off (there is always a hidden stability control helping keep tankslappers to a minimum)
5 looks markedly better than the ones before and makes you wonder how they went from 2->5's graphics (when 2 felt really amazing looking in its time) in just 3 games and a slight console upgrade,
6 is the pinnacle of console racing games to date but is really just a polishing of 5's base of a very solid racing game.

I used the Fanatec CSE for the Xbox 360 games, and the Fanatec CSWv2 for the Xbone games. Laziness prevailed, but I almost pulled out my Microsoft Wireless Wheel to try on 2-3-4 again since it was a very very solid performer for the price point, just sadly poorly constructed (because of the price point) and I probably have one of the last actually working examples out there.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I bought the Forza edition of the Xbone and put what felt like a ton of hours into 6 but I'm sure my completion percentage is still low.

Now I'm torn between a 50" 1080p with a 5.1 setup that includes 12" woofer towers, or a 27" 144hz 1440p screen with a GTX1080 that seems like it'll be able to max this game out with ease.

Haven't played Horizon 3 or any of the other play anywhere games - do the save files sync between platforms? Probably going to split my time between PC and xbone on this one

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
whatcubed's review of all the courses mentioned on this page:

Good:
  • Hockenheimring - yeah, it's not "old Hockenheim" and you dont have a million miles to get to max velocity, but the track is fun and has good technical corners and some good speed areas, too. Some of the Forza small ribbons are a little bad, and come up too much in single player campaign.
  • Sebring - very good track, lots of motorsports history and cred, fun middle section with high speed turns, good back straight and hairpin. The smaller ribbons are decent and fun for low class cars.
  • Silverstone - Another good and fun track. Some famous sections and corner complexes. The various ribbons are pretty fun too.
  • Bathurst - A pretty difficult track, but passing is possible. You've got to have a window though, and the speed and momentum to make the pass. If you don't, you'll gently caress it all up, and thats what most people do online. Insanely fun elevation changes coupled with corners and walls. Also some good speed on the back with a fun chicane. If you don't like this track you're probably bad! :q:
  • Nordschleife - Really good and fun. I don't think anyone disagreed, but someone mentioned it on this page so here it is on the list! Also I like the Nurb GP track and I think many people don't.
  • Indy - This track is good. The infield course is really fun and has some good and difficult corners you need to get right to get the best lap. The oval is ok and but tends to gently caress up AI drivers. Features a little too often in the single player campaign.
  • Brands Hatch/Watkins Glen - These were both added in FM6, and I don't have a ton of experience with them, but they are both good and fun tracks. I don't have strong opinions on these two, but they're both good.

:mediocre:
  • TG Test Track - Really fun to hotlap and set times on, especially with the C apostrophe D in the game. Good for Rivals. Can be fun in multi, but people usually end up crashing in the center later in the race when traffic overlaps. The various ribbons of this track range from decent to poo poo.
  • Circuit of the Americas - Pretty much a novelty for Americans, as its our "home" GP track. And that's about all its good for. Track has little flow to it, feels long, and lack of any scenery makes it difficult to judge where you're at without looking for sign boards. Really don't favor the mini ribbons too much either. Some turns difficult without having any fun factor.
  • Yas Marina - This track is polarizing, but I like it. It's fun and has some challenging corner complexes. But, they've got to figure out a way to stop corner cutting in online lobbies. The short ribbons range from good to meh, IMO.
  • Daytona - Not a huge fan of ovals, but this one is pretty fun. The infield course is pretty ok, but nothing spectacular.
  • Sunset Peninsula - This track was really long and had a couple places where people would get FURIOUS if you bumped them onto sticky grass! The shorter ribbons were a bit more fun, and the oval was pretty decent too, for an oval. I don't have strong opinions on this track.

Real Bad!:
  • Rio - You Already Know! I hate this track, and it's probably because the goon group had some kind of weird fetish for running the mini ribbons every week which led to huge destruction derbies almost every time. The one pro it has going for it is that it's a really, REALLY good looking track.
  • Test Track Airfield - This would get a pass but it's gotta be ranked, so it goes here. Nothing too special about it, but it's not that cool or fun. I guess they've gotta have a spot for your retard soccer poo poo though.
  • YOUR DRIVING SKILLS!!!!

Other:
  • Miami/Homestead - I had quit playing when this came out and I don't have any experience with it since I'm not into Nascar, so I don't know where I'd put it based on guesswork. Sorry!

edit: I think a lot of people who are in to motorsports tend to like the historic tracks (most of the tracks I put in the "good" category) and people who are more into cars and sports cars in general tend to like more of the fictional tracks, and tracks where you can go fast like Le Mans La Sarthe and stuff. I'm actually a fan of fictional tracks too, Bernie's is probably one of my fav. tracks in all of Forza. But, you can make a fake track bad just as well as there are real tracks that are bad.

Also I forgot Yas, added that.

e2: missed some more! poo poo!

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 19, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I like Road America because it rules and I like VIR because I'm a homer and I've gone fast on it IRL

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm pretty sure the only memory I have of Circuit of the Americas is when we did the short track back when 6 was released. And everybody went straight because the turn isn't marked.

I also hate the start on Circuit of the Americas. Like starting going up a giant hill into a u-turn? That's just a cluster gently caress in any pubbie lobby.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like the track because it's a challenge to get the turns right. It's terrible in an arcade game because people just mash the fuckin gas whenever they see a crash. That was a rough first couple of weeks when 6 came out and we had a bunch of goons who didn't get the concept of "Everyone just crashed, slow down a bit and go around."

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

That was a rough first couple of weeks when 6 came out and we had a bunch of goons who didn't get the concept of "Everyone just crashed, slow down a bit and go around."
But think of all the places you can make up!!!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The only tracks I really don't like are the ones like Yas and other Tilke-era tracks that are obviously designed for something with the downforce of an F1 car and nothing else. CotA and Catalunya definitely have some good stretches I feel separate the good drivers from the awful ones in any class.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I like the LeMans Bugatti Circuit. So there.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

I like the LeMans Bugatti Circuit. So there.
I enjoy it, but if you play single player it feels like 1 of every 3-4 races is on Bugatti so I got tired of it very quickly.

I'm also a fan of Catalunya yeah, but the School ribbon sucks.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Ether Frenzy posted:

...Forza comparisons...

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Looking forward to seeing how big #7 compares when it comes out. I'd hate to think I missed out on the best Forza because I never got an Xbone.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Thinking about picking up a wheel for my tax refund, looking at a used but only tested G27 with a stick shift which will run me about 2000 NOK or 235 USD. I seem to remember that the G27 is a very good buy, is that right? And while I'm sure it'll run nice on AC and Project Cars, I seem to remember that FH3 had some wheel and FF problems, is that right?

If not that, just how much better is a G29 or a G920?

Edit: Incidentally I'm watching every single Fast/Furious movie and I just reinstalled FH3 I think it's affecting me.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 19, 2017

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Horizon games are just not fun with a wheel. Too much stupid driving means you just wear out your wrists as you wrestle the 9 billionth skid/drift that occurs in the first 5 minutes of driving anywhere, and when you hit garbage head on and come to a dead stop it's really abrupt and feels like it's hard on the wheel, and then you have to unwind the 4 rotations of lock you just put in to try and save whatever you were doing before you crashed.

G27 is fine as a basic wheel but won't work on an Xbone, but now that these games work on PC that hardly matters. The pedals are extremely meh.

The Thrustmaster and Fanatec offerings (are a little more money, possibly a lot more money in North Korean Un-Dollars, I assume that's what NOK is) but are considerably better w/r/t the driving feel. Logitechs all feel very notchy since they're gear driven instead of belt driven, but you will certainly have a perfectly good time with a Logitech.

A used G25 in good condition might be the best buy (also possibly hard to find in other countries) because it's the exact same wheel internals as the G27 but minus a couple face buttons on the wheel. However, it does gain a switchable sequential shifter as well as H pattern, whereas the G27 only has the H pattern type.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

To be fair I went for a HOTAS Warthog for my flight and space sims, so going for a pricier alternative is not out of the question. I could have a perfectly good time with a cheaper HOTAS, but that poo poo is for losers. Whats' a good Thrustmaster (preferably with clutch/stick)?

Edit: Or a Fanatec, I guess.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 20, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Has there been a peep about VR support in 7?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

a mysterious cloak posted:

I always join the goon groups for Forza and never race with anyone.

Forza 7 will be different,I'm sure of it.
Hell, I started the goon group for FH3 and I think I've played with goons exactly once in any of the Xbox One titles. FM4 was the last time I really played online regularly.

Norns posted:

Has there been a peep about VR support in 7?
Inside Sim Racing mentioned asking Dan Greenawalt about it and getting a "no comment".

My best guess is that Microsoft is still uncertain on their VR plans for the Xbox platform. With Play Anywhere they can take a softer approach than Sony and just direct the VR niche to PCs if they want, but it's really hard to tell exactly what their long-term plans are.

I'd be amazed and disappointed if they didn't have it at least vaguely playable in VR internally.

edit: AutoVista would finally have a purpose beyond listening to Clarkson talk about cars.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Circuit of the Americas
Hockenheimring
Sebring
Silverstone
Test Track Airfield
Top Gear Test Track
Yas Marina

Yes, let's get rid of everything because you don't like it. :allears:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I'm also a fan of Catalunya yeah, but the School ribbon sucks.

Bullshit

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I just ordered a copy of Forza 3, which I used to own, for some god drat reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I really wish Microsoft would let me send in my discs for 360 games and they'd give me a license to digitally download it for back-compat or even for use on the 360, but I suppose that defeats the entire purpose of this generation of consoles: Making you buy games for a second time (at least)

• Locked thread