Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011

Who would have guessed that Beartato and Reginald were enemies of mankind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

TheLawinator posted:

I don't want to try looking up anything but my guess is that it's Armin's dad.

I'm trying to recall what we know about him and all I can remember is... Maps, maybe?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Can I get a non-spoilery end of season 2 map of where things went down?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

I'm trying to recall what we know about him and all I can remember is... Maps, maybe?

I don't remember armin's family situation that well but I know his grandpa was sent to die against the titans in that futile attempt to retake wall maria

his parents weren't there at the time I don't think? so they were probably dead by that point

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't remember armin's family situation that well but I know his grandpa was sent to die against the titans in that futile attempt to retake wall maria

his parents weren't there at the time I don't think? so they were probably dead by that point

His parents went exploring or whatever outside the walls and never returned, I just don't remember what he looked like in the flashback.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Can I get a non-spoilery end of season 2 map of where things went down?

I did a GIS and found/stole and slightly edited this, and I think it's everything (also triple checked to make sure I didn't leave any spoilers in)

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 19, 2017

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Armin's parents are the source of child wren and Armin's desire to leave the walls. It's where the early "we're like cattle. Humanity can be more" kind of stuff comes from. They left armin behind to leave the walls, and presumably (but not explicitly) were eaten by titans. Armin has a book about the outside world that they left behind, it has information about oceans and other things that the wall folks have no concept of.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ah yea

then they're probably dead but yea maybe not

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Saagonsa posted:

I did a GIS and found/stole and slightly edited this, and I think it's everything (also triple checked to make sure I didn't leave any spoilers in)

What is Grisha's basement, and where is this underground city a bunch of people are hiding in?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What is Grisha's basement, and where is this underground city a bunch of people are hiding in?

Grisha is Eren's dad's name, so Eren's basement. Also as far as I know it was never said where exactly the underground city was.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's said in the levi ova I think

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Grisha Yeager is Eren's dad. The basement at the Yaeger's was his study/lab which was off-limits to the rest of the family. Shortly after the fall of Shiganshina, Eren woke up with the key to the basement and a vague nightmare where Grisha desperately told him to get there, and that's the last he ever saw of him. And then Eren turned out to have Titan powers and he told everyone about the basement, so putting two and two together, finding out what's in the basement is a major objective for the Survey Corps.

There's an underground city under Mitras, the capital. It's a slum that poors aren't allowed to leave so as not to disrupt the upstanding citizens topside. Levi comes from there.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Doubleposting because it never ceases to amuse me that Levi, the neat-freak that can't be caught dead without that posh white ascot, is a vicious and foul-mouthed runt from the slums.

You can't tell if he's trying to make up for something or if he just thinks it looks good.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Doubleposting because it never ceases to amuse me that Levi, the neat-freak that can't be caught dead without that posh white ascot, is a vicious and foul-mouthed runt from the slums.

You can't tell if he's trying to make up for something or if he just thinks it looks good.

Emergency cleaning cloth?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

OnimaruXLR posted:

Eren's big asspull works out okay because there has to be SOME reason that Reiner and Bert are trying to capture him. His Titan form is pretty handy, but it doesn't really seem to have any significant advantage over theirs or Annie's.

Having a titan form to call upon is a pretty good reason to get someone. But yeah the reason Berthold, Reiner, and Annie were so desperate to kidnap him is because they suspected he had the coordinate. It can control and give commands to titans. If you stop to think about that for a second and the world they live in, this an overwhelmingly powerful ability. As Eren showed in that scene, he wouldn't even need a titan form to effortlessly defeat them. There is nothing they could do to stop him.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 19, 2017

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Having a titan form to call upon is a pretty good reason to get someone. But yeah the reason Berthold, Reiner, and Annie were so desperate to kidnap him is because they suspected he had the coordinate. It can control and give commands to titans. If you stop to think about that for a second and the world they live in, this an overwhelmingly powerful ability. As Eren showed in that scene, he wouldn't even need a titan form to effortlessly defeat them.

You don't even need to think too hard. Literally all their problems would go away if a Coordinator just ordered all the Titans everywhere to tear each other to pieces. Come to think of it, since a person with the Coordinate has the power to control titans, and chances are there would be a person more adept in controlling titans than Eren, and the walls are made of titans, does that mean a person, or persons long ago was powerful enough to control so many titans to build the walls? And for that matter what kind of threat would cause a person who had that much power to just huddle up like that?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

There's honestly no reason to think that Bert/Reiner/Annie had any idea that Eren had the Coordinate. They just knew that he was able to transform into a titan, which was probably enough to want him. Note that they grabbed Ymir too once they learned that she could transform.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

They suspected it. Reiner confides to Berthold as much while they had Eren and Ymir captive.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

They suspected it. Reiner confides to Berthold as much while they had Eren and Ymir captive.

Oh, huh, I actually skipped that episode and completely forgot about that line in the manga. That's honestly really weird, since they have literally no reason to believe he has it.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Well, they had a dude in front of them who could turn into a Titan who was not Ymir and not connected with either Bert, Reiner, or Annie. Stands to reason that the person who fulfilled both of those conditions must have gotten it from somewhere, and might be exactly what they're looking for.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Annointed posted:

You don't even need to think too hard. Literally all their problems would go away if a Coordinator just ordered all the Titans everywhere to tear each other to pieces. Come to think of it, since a person with the Coordinate has the power to control titans, and chances are there would be a person more adept in controlling titans than Eren, and the walls are made of titans, does that mean a person, or persons long ago was powerful enough to control so many titans to build the walls? And for that matter what kind of threat would cause a person who had that much power to just huddle up like that?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

Oh, huh, I actually skipped that episode and completely forgot about that line in the manga. That's honestly really weird, since they have literally no reason to believe he has it.

If a guy can turn into a Titan that's probably a good place to start looking.

My memory of the manga is a little fuzzy but I remember it seeming like he was trying to compel Reiner and Berthold to die and they had to resist the influence as they were running away, is that what actually happened?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

my favorite part of this season was levi's reaction to this

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Saagonsa posted:

Given that the commands aren't verbal, but rather some sort of ESP thing, my best guess is that they knew instinctively knew there was a coordinate, and followed some sort of draw to make their way to him. Look at the number of times they wound up coincidentally showing up exactly where Eren happened to be (this includes Ymir). The town where he grew up, joining the same military training corps, showing up at the gate at Trost directly in front of Eren, Annie showing up in the same refugee camp as Eren/Mikasa/Armin in episode 2 or whenever it was, etc.

The weird thing, as always, is that Bert and Ernie were child soldiers, which indicates that they had to explain otherwise complex military secrets to 6 year olds. "OK kids, we're going to send you on your way. Just follow your instincts and crash through any walls that happen to be in your way" is as good an explanation as any to explain why Bertholdt, for example, didn't really know what they were doing (In the same episode with Eren and Ymir, Bertholdt said something to those ends and was clearly very conflicted over it).

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Annointed posted:

It didn't work on Reiner, Bert, and Ymir, so maybe the coordinate who built the walls was under attack from shifters.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I rewatched certain episodes as reaction vids, and I've noticed a couple of things they don't explain. I haven't read the manga, so I'll just spoiler all of it in case it's actually a thing.

Episode 6. When Mikasa gets pumped up to fight, there's a titan flash.
Episode 7. There's a weird flesh-apple on the ground next to Mikasa when Titan Eren shows up. I think it showed up in other episodes too and is connected to the titan transformation some how. Also, Mikasa does the titan flash again when she decides to fight to keep Erens memory alive.
Episode 17-21. Why did the scouts set up a trap in the forest before they were aware of the Female Titan who they used it on? Were they going to catch some random titans mid-mission to replace the two they lost?
Episode 25. The Female Titan tried to merge with or absorb Titan Eren. Are combined titans going to be a thing? Or did Annie try to get Eren into the flesh gel to crystallize him along with herself?

My theory is that Eren unknowingly used his coordinate skill to power up Mikasa and give her a fighting spirit. He was present both in 6 and 7 when it happened. Not only is it for commanding titans, but it does things to people.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 19, 2017

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Donnerberg posted:

Episode 7. There's a weird flesh-apple on the ground next to Mikasa when Titan Eren shows up. I think it showed up in other episodes too and is connected to the titan transformation some how.
It's a Pomegranate. They're just really weird lookin' fruits.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
That's disgusting.

And I want to eat it.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BO-qoV_-ew

What is everyone's favorite OPs so far? Mine is the S2 one. Also I noticed in the season 1 part 2 OP they sort of hint at Reiner, Bert and Anne being grouped together. I remember when I watched I thought the order was just some random side characters, but now it seems like the grouped them by titan affiliation. There's a part where it shows some face looking on and its those three in order. Then before that Is Ymir and then Historias face, so just based on that I'm thinking Historia is a titan. Plus the facial expressions of hers matches Reimer/Bert/Annes, a sort of sideglance turning away from the horror, and not the frightened expression of the presumably non-titan characters.

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 19, 2017

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

Episode 7.

That scene's a reference to Hariti, a Buddhist goddess who used to feed children to her own kids.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Donnerberg posted:

I rewatched certain episodes as reaction vids, and I've noticed a couple of things they don't explain. I haven't read the manga, so I'll just spoiler all of it in case it's actually a thing.

Episode 6. When Mikasa gets pumped up to fight, there's a titan flash.
Episode 7. There's a weird flesh-apple on the ground next to Mikasa when Titan Eren shows up. I think it showed up in other episodes too and is connected to the titan transformation some how. Also, Mikasa does the titan flash again when she decides to fight to keep Erens memory alive.
Episode 17-21. Why did the scouts set up a trap in the forest before they were aware of the Female Titan who they used it on? Were they going to catch some random titans mid-mission to replace the two they lost?
Episode 25. The Female Titan tried to merge with or absorb Titan Eren. Are combined titans going to be a thing? Or did Annie try to get Eren into the flesh gel to crystallize him along with herself?

My theory is that Eren unknowingly used his coordinate skill to power up Mikasa and give her a fighting spirit. He was present both in 6 and 7 when it happened. Not only is it for commanding titans, but it does things to people.

Ep17-21: For the same reason they fed they disseminated false information about where Eren would be located in the formation. Knowing that Titan Shifters are a thing as proved by Eren, and that there were forces hostile to the objective of the Survey Corps embedded in the military (as proven by the destruction of their captured titans), the operation was planned in order to root out potential hostile Shifters in their midst. They didn't know about Annie specifically, but they suspected the existence of her and others like her.
Ep25: This was an anime only thing, but it's very likely she was trying to take him down with her.
Ep6-7: Foreshadowing~

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What is everyone's favorite OPs so far?

OVA 2

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 19, 2017

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I urge everyone to rewatch season 1 to get totally mindfucked over all of the hints that there were that you missed the first time over.

Because there's a ton of them. You didn't even notice them the first time.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What is everyone's favorite OPs so far? Mine is the S2 one. Also I noticed in the season 1 part 2 OP they sort of hint at Reiner, Bert and Anne being grouped together. I remember when I watched I thought the order was just some random side characters, but now it seems like the grouped them by titan affiliation. There's a part where it shows some face looking on and its those three in order. Then before that Is Ymir and then Historias face, so just based on that I'm thinking Historia is a titan. Plus the facial expressions of hers matches Reimer/Bert/Annes, a sort of sideglance turning away from the horror, and not the frightened expression of the presumably non-titan characters.

Well that owns. It seems to have been made by a lot of people? Some of them were really good.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It's a cool thing, but one warning for show only folks. Without identifying any specifics in the video, I want to warn people that some of the shots in that fan opening are referencing/showing scenes from the manga that have not taken place in the show yet and probably constitute manga spoilers if you were watching closely enough.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

In the last or second to last episode didn't Ymir (or somebody) tell "Historia" (or somebody) that life beyond the walls wasn't so bad? I had thought life beyond the walls was essentially "get eaten instantly by a titan." Did she mean that in a "you get eaten but at least you're free" way or does she know about something beyond the wall that we don't? Some place/way people survive? Ymir has spent a lot of time as a titan at least, but when she turned back to a human she was presumably beyond the wall and she was able to make it to the walled city without getting eaten. We know she was in another city, and they had walls too because she was turned into a titan by being thrown off one. Maybe there's a lot more going on out there besides titans, and maybe there are places where there aren't titans?

Edit: And what the hell was it that turned her from a titan into back into a human? They seemed to say that eating a human turned her back, that was at least what I got from it. But then what about like, the smiling titan? We know she ate Eren's mom a long, long time ago yet she was still a titan by the last episode? So what gives?"

Sorry for abusing spoiler tags. I'm just not very good at telling what would be a spoiler and what wouldn't, and I wouldn't want to ruin any parts of the show for anyone.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 19, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I don't think the spoiler tags are necessary at this point, now that the season is over. Maybe just stuff in the very last episode?

But as to the first, I don't think it's a stretch at this point to conclude there's more than one city left after all. Ymir spent a while as a Titan, but not so long that that everyone currently alive would forget "oh yeah, we used to execute people by injecting them with titan serum and kicking them off the wall, didn't we; what was up with that?" Not to mention the 'hometown' that Reiner and Beartatoto keep referring to. What the scale and nature of the place is like remains to be seen, but I think we can safely say at least one other city exists.

Regarding the second point, I don't think there is any great secret to transforming from Titan to human--I suspect it just takes a lot of effort and focus. The transformation is also likely to be very traumatic, based on Ymir's flashback, and if you don't know changing back is possible in the first place it's entirely possible you might just give up and let the elements cover you the way she did. Eating that guy isn't what changed her back, but fulfilling that directive (which all Titans possess in some form it seems, because they certainly don't need to eat) somehow aided her in regaining her focus/sanity long enough to revert.

What this says about Titans in general is less clear. I'm currently thinking of them as being something akin to an automated weapons system--big fleshy mecha, essentially. Maybe not every titan has a human inside of it, and they're like drones running on auto-pilot. Alternatively, if you spend long enough fused to a titan's brain stem maybe you just get absorbed and lose your sense of self. Maybe that's what happens to almost everyone, unless you have some unique trait that allows you to maintain control. Think about it: the trio of foreign shifters were evidently supposed to wipe out the remnants of humanity hiding behind the walls. So whoever ordered them to do it just sent 3 dudes over the course of 10 years? Gotta be something keeping them from being mass produced, no?

edit: also this seems like a good time to ask whether the ending credits map to anything later in the series. A simple yes or no will suffice.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Rangpur posted:

I don't think the spoiler tags are necessary at this point, now that the season is over. Maybe just stuff in the very last episode?

But as to the first, I don't think it's a stretch at this point to conclude there's more than one city left after all. Ymir spent a while as a Titan, but not so long that that everyone currently alive would forget "oh yeah, we used to execute people by injecting them with titan serum and kicking them off the wall, didn't we; what was up with that?" Not to mention the 'hometown' that Reiner and Beartatoto keep referring to. What the scale and nature of the place is like remains to be seen, but I think we can safely say at least one other city exists.

Regarding the second point, I don't think there is any great secret to transforming from Titan to human--I suspect it just takes a lot of effort and focus. The transformation is also likely to be very traumatic, based on Ymir's flashback, and if you don't know changing back is possible in the first place it's entirely possible you might just give up and let the elements cover you the way she did. Eating that guy isn't what changed her back, but fulfilling that directive (which all Titans possess in some form it seems, because they certainly don't need to eat) somehow aided her in regaining her focus/sanity long enough to revert.

What this says about Titans in general is less clear. I'm currently thinking of them as being something akin to an automated weapons system--big fleshy mecha, essentially. Maybe not every titan has a human inside of it, and they're like drones running on auto-pilot. Alternatively, if you spend long enough fused to a titan's brain stem maybe you just get absorbed and lose your sense of self. Maybe that's what happens to almost everyone, unless you have some unique trait that allows you to maintain control. Think about it: the trio of foreign shifters were evidently supposed to wipe out the remnants of humanity hiding behind the walls. So whoever ordered them to do it just sent 3 dudes over the course of 10 years? Gotta be something keeping them from being mass produced, no?

edit: also this seems like a good time to ask whether the ending credits map to anything later in the series. A simple yes or no will suffice.

Well, the first image is humans making a deal with the devil, so probably.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Rangpur posted:

Yes

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I was thinking specifically of the mural depicting a king looking on as his children(?) unhappily(?) devour someone. But in retrospect, the making a deal with a devil part is also terribly fraught, yes. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Rangpur posted:

Maybe not every titan has a human inside of it, and they're like drones running on auto-pilot. Alternatively, if you spend long enough fused to a titan's brain stem maybe you just get absorbed and lose your sense of self. Maybe that's what happens to almost everyone, unless you have some unique trait that allows you to maintain control. Think about it: the trio of foreign shifters were evidently supposed to wipe out the remnants of humanity hiding behind the walls. So whoever ordered them to do it just sent 3 dudes over the course of 10 years? Gotta be something keeping them from being mass produced, no?

Now that you mention it, it seems like this has to be somewhat true. At the very least because they know that to kill a titan now, although I don't think they have had that ability very long and since the greatest members of the military have only killed a handful each it's not like they're downing a ton of titans. But they know that they need to cut out the nape. With all the shifters we've known, the nape is where their body is. It seems like if the human was still in the nape of every titan at some point they would have had to have found a leg sticking out of what the cut off or something. Or it would leave a body after the titan was killed (unless it somehow gets absorbed with the magical light energy stuff titans are apparently made of. But I don't see a logical way that would happen, although, anime so...). Since nothing like that has ever been noticed it would seem like humans still intact in the neck of titans are either quite or extremely rare.

I would say maybe only intelligent titans who are able to somewhat keep their sanity like Monkey Troubles, Eren somewhat (he was at least intelligent enough to only go after other titans and protect the humans when he first changed) etc. retain their body, but from the way it sounds Ymir was just a normal mindless titan. She described it as a long nightmare, so it doesn't sound like she had any control/intelligence.

I never started reading the manga like I planned, just two pages of an action sequence that was all just onomatopoeia and I got bored (although maybe I'll give it another shot starting where S2 ends) so I don't know anything. But people keep saying the basement is a big reward surprise. I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess... cure for titan-ism? Potion you inject in them and they return to their human self? But for some reason they can't make more of it, so like they have to go beyond the walls to get the ingredients all while still avoiding titans, and maybe trying not to kill them since they know they're curable people now? So that way there's still a conflict but it changes every way they act about the titans.

Or they find out some king or some poo poo in some far off city (Ymir's city?) has the cure and they are like "we gotta go get it". I dunno.

Or the whole titan thing is the fault of the people in Ymir's city. And Eren has to use his coordinate power to wage war on them and stop any more titans from being made or something.

• Locked thread