Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Paladin is so sick :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I think WHM are fun if bland, but mostly because I enjoy playing whatever feels strong and gets me through content without me feeling like I'm lacking tools to deal with a situation. In HW I felt gimped playing WHM over SCH: holy was nice but you'd just run out of mana casting it and you didn't have an autocast regen bot named Selene with twice the potency following you around.

This expansion I feel gimped when I play SCH instead of WHM. Lack of sustain is mildly annoying, less mana, the AOE feels extremely simplified and dumb... eh.

Don't really have enough time on AST to compare it to HW yet.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Minrad posted:

Don't really have enough time on AST to compare it to HW yet.

I've played all the healer classes to like 61 (ast is at 65 now as my main class) and there's nothing in the game quiet as fun as making a tank buster do 0 damage thanks to the new buffed instant aspected benefic or popping an Earthly Star at just the right time so the raidwide damage is instantly negated a frame after it hits.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 19, 2017

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
SCH just feels tedious this expansion. I solo around the new zones and chip away at trash mob's health, and then watch a DRK or something jog in, two-shot whatever's there, and jog away, job done. There was certainly a need to tone down something about Scholar performance, but they toned down everything instead.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
SMN feels kinda wonky too. No Aetherflow in trance is just weird. In an AoE situation are you supposed to just pop off deathflare right away so you can go back to being able to use bane and painflare? And there's absolutely no way to heal your pet (effectively), I just gave up on using titan egi and rely on my chocobo healing my character.

They could've let smn have int scaling physick if they wanted to cull sustain.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Finally got past Raub/Pip block. Gonna play hookie tomorrow.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

On the other hand WHM consistently has the best and cutest AF gear which is very important

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Either the solution was just to wait a while, or to log into a character on another world, and then back to the one I was trying to play.

e: Local shout chat indicates it was everyone in Mor Dhona on Brynhildr.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My bad opinion is that late-game Stormblood WHM feels more fun than AST, but it also has some of the most boring NPCs. Other than Slyphie just because of the meme.

I mean say what you like about PLD but at least one or two of them have a personality more interesting than dishwater.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Allarion posted:

I climbed a tower. I did not succeed at reaching the top. I'll try again another day I'm sure

This is one of the spots where you need to stand at the furthest edge of the beam and aim for the furthest edge of the next beam because the collision box around the column is just so big that you'll get stuck on it and fall.

There's one more corner jump on the other side where you must actually do a running jump, since it makes you jump higher. Otherwise you fall.

What can I say, I like climbing this tower.

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
Has anyone here beaten the lvl 70 dragoon job quest? I wiped 5 times last evening then decided to try again tomorrow and now i wiped 5 more times.

Is there some trick or something i am missing here?

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So I've never really raided before and don't really know about the intricate details of each and every job regarding what they bring to the raid and so on, I just know I really, really love playing RDM so far. However, a friend of mine (admittedly one of those who cares about world firsts and about the miniscule changes in dps etc) told me that I am better off playing another DPS job because Red Mage will offer absolutely nothing to the table except for mediocre damage, damage that can already be outperformed by black mages and so on :(

I rarely care about the choice of class / job and so and just choose whatever I think is the most fun, but I also want to experience raiding properly in this game, perhaps even try out the most difficult tiers. Does what he say have any merit whatsoever? Should I choose another job?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly, play what you like.

Even if RDM turns out to be worse than the other mage DPS, unless it's that bad (and you'd have theorycrafters bemoaning it for months if it was), most competent raid groups will be fine.

And a person who's good at a bad class will always beat a person who's bad at a good class.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Stalins Moustache posted:

So I've never really raided before and don't really know about the intricate details of each and every job regarding what they bring to the raid and so on, I just know I really, really love playing RDM so far. However, a friend of mine (admittedly one of those who cares about world firsts and about the miniscule changes in dps etc) told me that I am better off playing another DPS job because Red Mage will offer absolutely nothing to the table except for mediocre damage, damage that can already be outperformed by black mages and so on :(

I rarely care about the choice of class / job and so and just choose whatever I think is the most fun, but I also want to experience raiding properly in this game, perhaps even try out the most difficult tiers. Does what he say have any merit whatsoever? Should I choose another job?

As someone who leads a static, and takes the game semi seriously, I would take a dude playing a class he liked really well over some mediocre dude playing an optimal class just because it's optimal. if you wanna play rdm, play rdm. Get really fuckin good at playing it, and only people who won't want to take you are the kind of people you don't want to be playing with anyway.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Minrad posted:

SMN feels kinda wonky too. No Aetherflow in trance is just weird. In an AoE situation are you supposed to just pop off deathflare right away so you can go back to being able to use bane and painflare? And there's absolutely no way to heal your pet (effectively), I just gave up on using titan egi and rely on my chocobo healing my character.

They could've let smn have int scaling physick if they wanted to cull sustain.

Or they could have left Sustain and remove Physick, since the latter is pretty much useless.

And they still haven't fixed the Egi icons. How hard can it be?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Velthice posted:

As someone who leads a static, and takes the game semi seriously, I would take a dude playing a class he liked really well over some mediocre dude playing an optimal class just because it's optimal. if you wanna play rdm, play rdm. Get really fuckin good at playing it, and only people who won't want to take you are the kind of people you don't want to be playing with anyway.

This is a good attitude to take, IMHO.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I am sad that stormblood dragoon doubleweaves less than heavensward dragoon, because I press fewer buttons per second

Well, except for the fact that I m constantly spamming my next button during the entire wait

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
I would very much like a running tally of the number of times you and/or your cohorts just loving shrug at the circumstances of whatever is happening at a given moment through the MSQ, because it must be a relatively huge number.

Dang jappos and their weird foreign cultures!! :argh:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Is there a rotation to using the bard songs? Or it suppose to be based more on the situation/what you want at the time?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
61 DUNGEON IS loving AWESOME

10/10, WOULD GET HIT IN THE FACE FOR THE BENEFIT OF OTHERS AGAIN

(Seriously, what a goddamn upgrade from whatever the gently caress Dusk Vigil was.)

Also Kugane is so goddamn pretty, I just want to run around with my UI off.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I really hope the new dungeons are faster than the hw leveling dungeons. They were good but so slow to complete.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm in Kugane and I'm swimming in the Ruby Sea and everything is beautiful, Stormblood rules now that its working :)

Jimbot posted:

I want Square to sort the Samurai combos for PvE in the way they do it for PvP. It's utterly perfect how well they have their stuff sorted out. There's literally no reason to ever use the combo skills by themselves, so packaging them with the skill that combos into them is just fantastic. I'm not sure why they just didn't design it that way to begin with. It cuts down on the skillbar clutter lots!

That makes it way too simple. If you want a class that is simpler to play than Samurai, don't demand that they make Samurai simpler for everybody. Just try a different dps class :v:

PvP has very different timing so things have to be simplified for pvp, but samurai as it is for pve is cool and good.

I guess if you're on controller maybe its an issue? Couldn't you do it as like a macro or something? I guess macros aren't smart enough. Well, I guess if they gave you the option to do that, it wouldn't hurt things too much. But I'd feel disappointed if they made it play that way in pve. It'd be too boring.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 19, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
65 SAM quest is so good, straight out of a Kurosawa flick. The class is fun to play after the brief acclimation period, and it only gets better at 62.

Susano is impressive, Violet Tides is rad, whole first half of the launch owns. Dungeons rain loot. Only thing that sucks is the queue times for DDs, but that was expected.

Also glad that SE got the duty fixes in. Aside from the server explosion last night which lasted only a few minutes including the login queue (unless you're on Balmung, RIP), it's been rock solid.

*edit -

Intoluene posted:

I really hope the new dungeons are faster than the hw leveling dungeons. They were good but so slow to complete.

They feel about the same to me, maybe a touch quicker so far. As I noted above, it really helps that loot is plentiful and that significant upgrades over the previous patch's best gear start at 64 (instead of 56-57).

isk fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 19, 2017

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Are there any lists up of what all is unlockable at 70 post story and where to do to kick things off? Looked around in the main cities and want to make sure I don't miss anything.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Bardams Mettle :captainpop:

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I notice a disturbing lack of catgirl npcs in eastern zones.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Shy posted:

I notice a disturbing lack of catgirl npcs in eastern zones.

Catgirls and potatoes are just straight up not native to Othard at all, at least the parts of Othard we get in 3.0. If you see a Miqo'te or Lalafell, they're from outside Othard and definitely outside Hingashi if they're in Kugane.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Velthice posted:

This is 100% the best attitude. gently caress I wish more people thought this way

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Well, Stormblood seems to have reintroduced that old DX11 error I used to get where the game crashes at random, seemingly endemic to the R9 3xx series of GPUs. Used to be a certain older driver would keep it from happening, but no longer. Fuckin sucks.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dr Snofeld posted:

Well, Stormblood seems to have reintroduced that old DX11 error I used to get where the game crashes at random, seemingly endemic to the R9 3xx series of GPUs. Used to be a certain older driver would keep it from happening, but no longer. Fuckin sucks.

I unironically think it's a problem endemic to anything GCN-derived, so going as far back as the 7000-series.

This is what happens when I use the DX11 client:

This is what happens when I use the DX9 client:

Problems that I did not have before the Stormblood maintenance.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Is there a rotation to using the bard songs? Or it suppose to be based more on the situation/what you want at the time?

Mage's Ballad for trash. For bosses it doesn't mattr too much since most of the songs are fairly standalone; I think Minuet is best used for burst phases while Paeon is the most consistent, but I might be wrong.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I unironically think it's a problem endemic to anything GCN-derived, so going as far back as the 7000-series.

This is what happens when I use the DX11 client:

This is what happens when I use the DX9 client:

Problems that I did not have before the Stormblood maintenance.

I had the same issue in DX11 after the Stormblood maintenance (on an R9 280X), and updating to the recommended drivers fixed it. If that doesn't work for you, I have no idea what the problem is.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm in Kugane and I'm swimming in the Ruby Sea and everything is beautiful, Stormblood rules now that its working :)

I'll second this, I've just finished Ruby Sea and I'm having a wonderful time. The problems only lasted a day for us lot over on Omega and it's been pure joy since then.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

SKULL.GIF posted:

I really wish RDM had a bit more depth/complexity to their rotation. Something like an additional effect to Fire/Stone that would make actually stacking Black or White mana to the detriment of Balance compelling would have been great. Like, get extra damage up from +30 to +50 mana disparity then immediately dump it to get back to balance, or something like that, like MCH's cooldown mechanic.

RDM right now feels really simplistic.

Th-the whole point if the class is balancing the two.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

That makes it way too simple. If you want a class that is simpler to play than Samurai, don't demand that they make Samurai simpler for everybody. Just try a different dps class :v:

PvP has very different timing so things have to be simplified for pvp, but samurai as it is for pve is cool and good.

I guess if you're on controller maybe its an issue? Couldn't you do it as like a macro or something? I guess macros aren't smart enough. Well, I guess if they gave you the option to do that, it wouldn't hurt things too much. But I'd feel disappointed if they made it play that way in pve. It'd be too boring.

Don't see how the combo buttons would be a step down in complexity. It's just the exact same but less buttons.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I'm sorry but if you want to take away my dedicated full thrust big number button I will fight you

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah WHM is finally exactly what it is in every other FF game with jobs. Really really good at it's job but very very boring conceptually and to play.

and hell, that's good enough for me

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I miss phlebotomize

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I miss _Flash_. As a warrior, of all things, I miss Flash the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Wow machinist in pvp sure is a thing now.