Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Shaman Linavi posted:

the worst interview i ever had was with Blizzard. they opened with "so if you could be any superhero, who would you be?" and i just froze up and mumbled something about not really keeping up on my superheroes and it was all down hill from there.
luckily, it was also one of my shortest interviews!

hemo goblin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

The Hemo-Goblin was a vampire created to help a white-supremacy group eliminate non-whites. He is notable mainly for infecting members of the New Guardians with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i would have just shouted INUK CHUCK INUK CHUCK INUK CHUCK and knocked over my chair as I bailed.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Shaman Linavi posted:

the worst interview i ever had was with Blizzard. they opened with "so if you could be any superhero, who would you be?" and i just froze up and mumbled something about not really keeping up on my superheroes and it was all down hill from there.
The best answer to this question is to mention some indie comic and then immediately switch into a rant about how Marvel+DC jointly own the trademark over the term "Superhero" so actually technically your answer doesn't count because it's just a "comic hero" and intellectual property law....

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Shaman Linavi posted:

"i don't pay attention to dumb nerd poo poo" is a powerful answer deserving of respect

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RISCy Business posted:

"i don't pay attention to dumb nerd poo poo" is a powerful answer deserving of respect

mega agreedo especially applied to programming questions

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
"I would be batman because his parents are dead"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cool av posted:

What's your greatest weakness?
What type of animal would you be?
Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Also I've heard anecdotally that those awful variants of the "how many gumballs are in a jar?" / "how many gas stations are there in NYC?" that thankfully seem to have died down in tech interviews are starting to pop up in sales interviews of all things.

that type of thinking is similar to how a salesperson is supposed to be qualifying leads so it makes some sense

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
what are the rules on being quoted by stymie can someone fill me in

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

the rules are nobody is interested in what stymie has to say so you're probably the only one who noticed

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
While conducting an Ops interview I mentioned that we were converting to systemd, and the candidate clenched his teeth and said "I have very strong opinions about systemd". He could barely contain his rage.

That's a huge red flag to me; I get that people can get fanboy/anti-fanboy about various tools and languages, but the business needs someone who can deal with whatever is thrown at them. You go to war with the army you have, not the army you want. We don't want someone who'll just whine and complain that they have to use X, or will spend half their time trying to convince everyone that X is good/bad.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

minato posted:

While conducting an Ops interview I mentioned that we were converting to systemd, and the candidate clenched his teeth and said "I have very strong opinions about systemd". He could barely contain his rage.

That's a huge red flag to me; I get that people can get fanboy/anti-fanboy about various tools and languages, but the business needs someone who can deal with whatever is thrown at them. You go to war with the army you have, not the army you want. We don't want someone who'll just whine and complain that they have to use X, or will spend half their time trying to convince everyone that X is good/bad.

Lmfao. Should've probed the poo poo out of him and make him look like an utter tool.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

[after being demolished by an earthshattering own] uhh...uhhhhh.... one sec *discreetly flips out smartphone and loads the forums*

Iverron
May 13, 2012

another good one is letting a candidate react to MacBooks being the standard

an interview is a great time to lecture your potential future coworkers on the evils of Apple

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

OldAlias posted:

The Hemo-Goblin was a vampire created to help a white-supremacy group eliminate non-whites. He is notable mainly for infecting members of the New Guardians with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS

that colors some memories I have of a former mod in a weird light

also lol if you're not always thinking when writing a parser that every shortcut you take is going to become a support ticket in the form of '<tangentially related thing> is broken pls fix'

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

minato posted:

While conducting an Ops interview I mentioned that we were converting to systemd, and the candidate clenched his teeth and said "I have very strong opinions about systemd". He could barely contain his rage

lol

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market

qhat posted:

It might surprise some but I have actually genuinely interviewed people who have entirely falsified their work experience and qualifications and pre-cooked their answers from glassdoor in an attempt to get an easy paycheck. This is why interviewers ask basic dumb questions and get people to explain themselves.

Imagine a fictional gameshow (we'll call it 'Fake Profession Or Not') where there are three contestants: One is a fake [profession], another is a real [profession], (here [profession] can be any profession like programmer, doctor or lawyer). The thrd contestant and the third contestant doesn't know which one is fake and which one is real. The third contestant has to ask questions of the first two and at the end of the round, he has to guess which one is real and which one is fake.

The problem is that I can't see this game show making is past the pilot episode because it would be so utterly lopsided because I imagine the contestant guessing correctly nearly 100% of the time making the gameshow boring to watch.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Iverron posted:

an interview is a great time to lecture your potential future coworkers on the evils of Apple

i dont like their keyboards

thats about all i have to say about that

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Iverron posted:

The place I'm interviewing for tomorrow gives macbook pros to employees and apparently you get to use a 27 incher at the office (still vastly inferior to 2x24").

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
crafting your interviews to try and weed out candidates with "fake" credentials is essentially tacit admission you weed out indian/pakistani applicants because you don't think their schooling is good enough/are racist

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I wouldn't take a job with any place that wouldn't give me a mac to use because I'm not an animal. I also don't work for companies that use technologies that I hate. but I'm not mad at them for being dumb and bad, I just ask them what they use and if it's not for me I tell them no thanks.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I don't really care tbh because most of what I'll probably ever be doing is ssh'ing into things anyway

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
the only time i cared about what machine i used at work was when i was given an hp laptop with a horrendous screen. this was 2014 but the screen had the viewing angle of a 90s laptop.

I rectified that problem immediately.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Stymie posted:

crafting your interviews to try and weed out candidates with "fake" credentials is essentially tacit admission you weed out indian/pakistani applicants because you don't think their schooling is good enough/are racist

:allears: please go on

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

apseudonym posted:

:allears: please go on

do not respond to stymie

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

qhat posted:

do not respond to stymie

It's racist to question my credentials as a poo poo poster

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

It's actually very easy to only hire white people without having a coding test durimg the hiring process. You just say literally anything other than "they weren't white" when asked why a non-white person wasn't hired.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Why on earth though would you hire an expensive white man from the bay area when you can just employ Sanjeev from Bangalore for a quarter of the price

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

*Nodding Sagely*
Yes if it weren't for the technical tests, all these non-white candidates wouldn't have expereinced any racial discrimination at all during the hiring process!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
bad culture fit

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Black man, aces technical test: "sorry but you're not the right culture fit"

White man, lies about experience, flubs technical test: "well there's a few issues with your answers but I'm sure we'll be able to fill in the gaps, welcome aboard!"

*Really smart guy, thinking hard*
After carefully analyzing these two scenarios I've come to the conclusion that the racism was introduced in to the hiring process at the time the technical test was administered.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

School of How posted:

Imagine a fictional gameshow (we'll call it 'Fake Profession Or Not') where there are three contestants: One is a fake [profession], another is a real [profession], (here [profession] can be any profession like programmer, doctor or lawyer). The thrd contestant and the third contestant doesn't know which one is fake and which one is real. The third contestant has to ask questions of the first two and at the end of the round, he has to guess which one is real and which one is fake.

The problem is that I can't see this game show making is past the pilot episode because it would be so utterly lopsided because I imagine the contestant guessing correctly nearly 100% of the time making the gameshow boring to watch.

this exists for chefs on the cooking network IIRC - only difference is that the judges are always the same two or three people

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Iverron posted:

on the other hand, i've had coworkers in the past who insisted on macbooks for C# development, since developers use macbooks, PERIOD. they were actually pretty upset when they found out that they'd have to set up a windows vm for their everyday tasks.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

The Leck posted:

on the other hand, i've had coworkers in the past who insisted on macbooks for C# development, since developers use macbooks, PERIOD. they were actually pretty upset when they found out that they'd have to set up a windows vm for their everyday tasks.

I've written C# on macs for Unity projects. The intellisene isn't too bad, but debugging is a 🐻. especially multiple threads.

Separately, one of my coworkers uses monodevelop on windows because he doesn't like VS.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qhat posted:

The place I'm interviewing for tomorrow gives macbook pros to employees[…]

macbooks pro

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

minato posted:

lol, raging about systemd in an interview is p good, that's like trashing your current job or coworkers

a simple trap which can be avoided just by not doing it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

macsbook pro

Iverron
May 13, 2012

The Leck posted:

That's what I've used daily here for the last four years. It's been just fine for web dev as long as I had the resources for Parallels and has made what little iOS dev I do a lot easier of course. I guess I wouldn't want to do Unity or anything on it.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

is that the hot new chuck tingle book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i don't object to having to code during an interview, I just think the coding should be vaguely relevant to the job

you know how many recursive algorithms I use as an embedded dev? none, because that is the correct amount to use in embedded development. but 2 of 4 phone interviews for embedded developer positions required recursive searching/traversing of some data structure

• Locked thread