Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ruta posted:

Putting that aside though, I'd like to take a moment to complain about the AST job gauge. I didn't mind the gaudy thing when I saw it in the videos. Once I played with it I realised all the card mechanics are no longer buffs and are shoved into the dumb gauge. The issue with this being I can no longer click off a held card or royal road effect should I see fit to do so. It doesn't come up that often, but what gives? Am I missing or something, or did they really take that away so they could have some fancy gauge?

I don't see this answered, you now have a new skill that just throws your current card away. You can't dump royal road buffs anymore but I've never wanted to do that anyway.

But yeah it's annoying that you can't see what other ASTs are holding. On the plus side, now nobody can see that I spread a balance card and forgot about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm getting the sense that SAM isn't actually very good for PVP. Though the range I can hit people with the super duper slash attack is astonishing and folks underestimate it.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I miss _Flash_. As a warrior, of all things, I miss Flash the most.

Me too. Was very useful in gathering up packs as you ran past them. Now I have to dance around and hope noone runs outside of the overpower cone. Between that, the loss of OGCD attacks, the loss of bloodbath, and having my dps resource cut in half for switching stance, I decided to give paladin a go again. I miss the fell cleave crits, but everything else just feels better.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm getting the sense that SAM isn't actually very good for PVP. Though the range I can hit people with the super duper slash attack is astonishing and folks underestimate it.

I went 1/2/16 in my first match as a SAM and that's about what I was doing on NIN. I think I'm just bad at pvp

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Intoluene posted:

I went 1/2/16 in my first match as a SAM and that's about what I was doing on NIN. I think I'm just bad at pvp

I find that half the time I can't get anything to connect even when I'm right on top of them. Usually only happens when they are running away though.

If they engage however it's amazing how fast you can light them up as SAM.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
To those at 70 here's a yes/no for you: Do all dungeons rain loot like the Sirensong does? It took me a few minutes to realise that not only was every boss giving two pieces but all the treasure chests were also giving actual real loot, it fuckin' ruled.

Also can any RDMs show your hotbars? Having a little trouble finding a layout for mine that flows well between black/white/melee actions.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'll tell you what I don't miss - pipe organs.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah I'm having a bitch of a time with this section just after you jump past the tapestry.

cybertier
May 2, 2013
Anyone here playing Monk on high level?
I started leveling yesterday and got to ~25 and it feels nice. Looking on reddit there are quite some people whining about nerfs and Monk being dumbed down.

Or those whining babys or should I maybe look into another class while I'm still very early into the game?

Redmages and Samurais and Ninjas are all only available after I jump through some initial loops right? (Besides paying for the expansion they come with.)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I don't play monk in savage or anything but it's basically the only class I ever play, and while the potency nerfs sort of suck all of the quality of life changes we got in 4.0 are incredible. Hell, being able to use Forbidden Chakra all the time is great on its own and feels really good to do.

Otherwise we mostly just got situational buttons, but the class doesn't really feel much different than it did in Heavensward, and it's definitely not 'dumbed down' in any way

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

cybertier posted:

I started leveling yesterday and got to ~25 and it feels nice. Looking on reddit there are quite some people whining about nerfs and Monk being dumbed down.

Or those whining babys or should I maybe look into another class while I'm still very early into the game?

Redmages and Samurais and Ninjas are all only available after I jump through some initial loops right? (Besides paying for the expansion they come with.)

Play what you enjoy. You're not going to suddenly have a happier life and win the lottery because you played a class in a video game that people on Reddit whined about a little less.

Ninjas are available as soon as you can get to Limsa and are level 10 in whatever your starting class is, same as DoH/Ls. Red Mages and Samurai require a level 50 combat class and to have beaten the 2.0 MSQ completely (which will happen about when you hit level 50 anyway).

Dark Knights, Machinists, and Astrologians require getting to Ishgard, which involves beating the entirety of the 2.0-2.55 MSQ. That feeling you're having? Yeah, that's why the RDM and SAM trainers are in Ul'Dah.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pierson posted:

Also can any RDMs show your hotbars? Having a little trouble finding a layout for mine that flows well between black/white/melee actions.

Here is my setup (I also marked where a few things I don't have yet will go), I use a G13, so I'm not sure how much use it'd be for someone using a keyboard. Basically I've set it up so pushing my modifier button, activates the"Improved" version of each attack skill. I keep thinking I should swap Aero/Thunder and Stone/Fire around so I stop accidentally hitting the 5 second casts so frequently, but retraining myself would be annoying (I definitely should do it though).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

cybertier posted:

Rogue needs you to finish your level 10 class quest, though it will take you longer to get to Limsa if you didn't start there. Red Mage and Samurai need you to be 50.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This is a few pages back, but I don't think tanks are any squishier. I've been strength tanking through the second dungeon. Big pulls etc without any issue.

Holy Spirit has completely changed the way I play, though.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Pierson posted:

To those at 70 here's a yes/no for you: Do all dungeons rain loot like the Sirensong does? It took me a few minutes to realise that not only was every boss giving two pieces but all the treasure chests were also giving actual real loot, it fuckin' ruled.

Leveling dungeons just rain down drops on you. The level 70 dungeons also have a good amount of drops, but you don't get a bonus item at the end.

Also EX roulette is three dungeons this time, because they learned from how stupid it was to have ARF be a level 60 dungeon but drop not loot and not be in EX.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

BLM is so fuckin fun with thunder IV. Even with just 3 mobs the 3% per tick seems to proc it a ton. I had a 5 mob pull that I thunder IV'd and got like 5 back to back procs and poo poo out an insane amount of damage on them.

Cant wait for cheaper flare for even more AOE shenanigans.

also PLD looks really drat fun. Might need to boost one to play since WAR isnt seeming as interesting right now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PLD is dope as gently caress running around aoeing the hell out of everything.

Then you get holy spirit and start nuking adds from almost anywhere on the battlefield.

Being able to block magic damage is also an OT DPS boost for PLD because you can get hella shield swipe procs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Someone in the old thread said they added dyeable Valerian Dragoon armor. Where can I get that? Is it just crafted?

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

queeb posted:

BLM is so fuckin fun with thunder IV. Even with just 3 mobs the 3% per tick seems to proc it a ton. I had a 5 mob pull that I thunder IV'd and got like 5 back to back procs and poo poo out an insane amount of damage on them.

I keep forgetting I have AOE thunder now at lower levels, but when I do remember, man does poo poo die even faster.

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

Kind of a weird question, but can anyone here give me an idea of the value of money in the current game? To frame the question, I, a returning player, spent about 250k on new gear last night from a vendor. It seemed like a lot, but I know that, in reality, it's probably not.

I don't have any gathering or crafting classes at max level, so I guess I'm trying to figure out what's considered a substantial amount of money now. I'm also coming back from WoW, so analogies from gil:gold might put it in perspective.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What's the most fun tank? I think I'm done with healing for a while. The "drop a dot or two and spam one attack spell" pattern all three healers use now is boring. I'm thinking DRK so I can level from 30, but I could be persuaded to try PLD.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

FactsAreUseless posted:

What's the most fun tank? I think I'm done with healing for a while. The "drop a dot or two and spam one attack spell" pattern all three healers use now is boring. I'm thinking DRK so I can level from 30, but I could be persuaded to try PLD.

I think its pretty universal that PLD is a lot of fun now. I've seen mixed opinions on DRK/WAR.

TheHeadSage posted:

I keep forgetting I have AOE thunder now at lower levels, but when I do remember, man does poo poo die even faster.

I get so excited spamming my thunder II/IV procs i keep dropping enochian

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Kind of a weird question, but can anyone here give me an idea of the value of money in the current game? To frame the question, I, a returning player, spent about 250k on new gear last night from a vendor. It seemed like a lot, but I know that, in reality, it's probably not.

I don't have any gathering or crafting classes at max level, so I guess I'm trying to figure out what's considered a substantial amount of money now. I'm also coming back from WoW, so analogies from gil:gold might put it in perspective.

250k is basically nothing, and even with non-max DoL or DoH you can make it back very quickly. Unless you want a house there's not much else to buy other than gear you need anyway.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 19, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also I hope they make healers fun again.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
I have the most important question. As somebody new to using /gpose, how do you do things like battle actions/animations in there? Because taking cool screenshots is the single most important thing of all.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also I hope they make healers fun again.

*Increase raid wide damage*

That'll do it. Have fun guys!

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

queeb posted:

Cant wait for cheaper flare for even more AOE shenanigans.

also PLD looks really drat fun. Might need to boost one to play since WAR isnt seeming as interesting right now.

Wait until 70. Umbral Hearts + Foul. Can do something like T4 -> Foul -> B4 -> F3 -> Flare -> Fire II -> Flare -> Convert -> Swiftcast -> Flare -> Transpose -> Foul. Just fun spamming a million AE attacks in a row.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Th-the whole point if the class is balancing the two.

Yes, that's correct. However, with RDM there is no internal or external mechanical pressure that would lead to imbalance, aside from the player forgetting to check their mana.

So the class boils down to Jolt/Impact -> Verlongcast -> Vershortcast -> Verlongcast, where you cast the appropriate flavor (and flavor is all it is, since the spells are identical apart from type of mana gained. Are there any fights in the game that even care about type of elemental damage?) of Shortcast and Longcast according to which mana you have less of. Once you have enough mana you dive in, 1, 2, 3, dive out, Vernuke (again choose flavor according to which mana is lower).

The oGCDs don't change this pattern. Fleche and Contre Sixte have no interaction with the rest of the kit, Acceleration simply means you're less likely to need to resort to Jolt/Impact, Manafication means you go in at 40 instead of 80, you use Embolden almost always during your melee combo or timed with the rest of the party/raid for spike damage.

Of the DPS jobs I've tried they're by far the simplest. A bit more mechanical depth would be wonderful to have.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know if they're simpler than new Dragoon.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Pierson posted:

At work so I don't have it in front of me but:

1234 are Jolt, Impact, Verfire, Verstone - the spells you will actually be hardcasting
QER - the melee combo, easy to reach
M4/M5 - Verthunder/Veraero - easily​ pressed for instant casting
Shift-M4/M5 - cure and raise, also easy to hit but won't cast on accident
Shift-4 - gap closer, weird but it's my "ranged attack on melee classes" button so muscle memory demands it goes here
X - jump away move
M3/Shift-M3 - the oGCD damage abilities, shift for the AoE one
Shift-123QERFTG are where I put buffs and other random abilities that aren't core rotation things
V/Shift-V - Shatter and the AoE cone thing that spends black/white mana

I think that's most of it?

Edit: also I like that RDM is straightforward, as someone who has a really hard time keeping track of classes with too many dots/buffs/positions, I love it. My focus is on ensuring I do check my mana and use the right abilities and I can get into a nice rhythm with the class that I can't with most other classes. It lets me actually have enough time to watch the fight and not miss mechanics like I did with old Dragoon and it's enormous number of oGCD buffs and moves plus constant wiggling to be behind/beside the target as needed.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 19, 2017

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Augus posted:

Don't see how the combo buttons would be a step down in complexity. It's just the exact same but less buttons.

That's pretty much what I'm advocating. It's confusing complexity for depth. The combo is still there, but now you only need to tap the same hotbar multiple times to use it rather than several keys on your keyboard. All about making it more intuitive so you have more space to put more abilities in comfortable to reach keys.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Fat and Useless posted:

Most big party raids can be done in 30 minutes once the learning period is over.

I'm not in an entirely dissimilar boat. Maybe not as extreme as you but I would say there is more than enough going on to do in 30 minute clips. As a DPS though you are more likely going to have to do PoTD or use discord / your friends to find pre-made groups to do the dungeons since the queue timers are going to be 30+minutes otherwise.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I miss _Flash_. As a warrior, of all things, I miss Flash the most.

God, yes. Slowing down to use overpower is ruining my dungeon clear times

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

:same:

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yes, that's correct. However, with RDM there is no internal or external mechanical pressure that would lead to imbalance, aside from the player forgetting to check their mana.

So the class boils down to Jolt/Impact -> Verlongcast -> Vershortcast -> Verlongcast, where you cast the appropriate flavor (and flavor is all it is, since the spells are identical apart from type of mana gained. Are there any fights in the game that even care about type of elemental damage?) of Shortcast and Longcast according to which mana you have less of. Once you have enough mana you dive in, 1, 2, 3, dive out, Vernuke (again choose flavor according to which mana is lower).

The oGCDs don't change this pattern. Fleche and Contre Sixte have no interaction with the rest of the kit, Acceleration simply means you're less likely to need to resort to Jolt/Impact, Manafication means you go in at 40 instead of 80, you use Embolden almost always during your melee combo or timed with the rest of the party/raid for spike damage.

Of the DPS jobs I've tried they're by far the simplest. A bit more mechanical depth would be wonderful to have.

I'm not sure removing the failure condition of the RDM rotation constitutes increased complexity. The whole rotation is built upon the notion that there's a win/lose dynamic and if you do it the wrong way on either balance or long/short cast weaving you take a hit to your DPS. Even if an imbalance-rewarding mechanic would increase the number of buttons, it'd decrease the skill requirement for doing RDM.

Which may be a good thing? I'm inclined to think the way FFXIV is structured there shouldn't be much difficulty in performing a role because most of the difficulty is loaded into encounter-specific gimmicks, but it'd seem to be contradictory to what you say you want.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im only running it through the PotD right now to get it up to main story levels, but samurai seems like a really fun class

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Inverted Sphere posted:

I have the most important question. As somebody new to using /gpose, how do you do things like battle actions/animations in there? Because taking cool screenshots is the single most important thing of all.

Gotta do the skill on a striking dummy or something afaik

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

GoldenPrice posted:

Has anyone here beaten the lvl 70 dragoon job quest? I wiped 5 times last evening then decided to try again tomorrow and now i wiped 5 more times.

Is there some trick or something i am missing here?

Not sure if anyone responded to this, but you're supposed to be told to hit Elusive Jump by <spoiler>, but he is mistranslated into English. When Enervation hits you, Elusive Jump to the small dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Philonius posted:

Me too. Was very useful in gathering up packs as you ran past them. Now I have to dance around and hope noone runs outside of the overpower cone. Between that, the loss of OGCD attacks, the loss of bloodbath, and having my dps resource cut in half for switching stance, I decided to give paladin a go again. I miss the fell cleave crits, but everything else just feels better.

I've been leaning more heavily on Steel Cyclone for picking up mobs that are spread out, or while I'm on the move. It predicates being in combat to pop the gauge boost, or saving some gauge from the previous pull, but it's better than trying to angle myself to use overpower and still missing things.

I'm willing to give WAR a fair shot to 70 before I make any decisions otherwise. The switch from stacks to the gauge was a big QoL improvement. I do wish the 70 skill was something that had tanking utility - being shoehorned into Deliverance seems a bit misguided.

Something that brightened my opinion on WAR was the last night when I did the 62 dungeon with three people who hadn't run it yet. They all managed to die around 24% on the first boss.

I used Holmgang for the shared damage hit, it dropped me to 1 hp. Then I did Berserk -> Inner Beast > Equilibrium > Inner Beast > Infuriate > Inner Beast. Thrill of Battle came back and I just cycled cooldowns while wailing on the boss, hitting Inner Beast and Storm's Path for the heals whenever I could. I killed him as the shared damage hit came back up.

It felt like a total hero moment because I of all the things I had to do to make it happen. Also because three pubs had to watch in shame as I did the fight alone.