Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

loving cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If Handel wins hopefully it will shake up the idiots at the DNC that think targeting Romney voters unhappy with Trump is a brilliant strategy (not likely but maybe). At absolute best you get a Democratic President elected with a slim margin and still lose all congressional races when those voters still go for the "regular" Republicans down ballot.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

Blitz7x posted:

This but the opposite

So exploitation of people's labour is good?

Please tell me how neoliberalism works great with automation kicking into high gear in the future. I'm sure everyone will be totally employable and there will be no need for solid social support structures.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Radish posted:

If Handel wins hopefully it will shake up the idiots at the DNC that think targeting Romney voters unhappy with Trump is a brilliant strategy (not likely but maybe). At absolute best you get a Democratic President elected with a slim margin and still lose all congressional races when those voters still go for the "regular" Republicans down ballot.

I'm not sure you win the Georgia 6th at the Congressional level without attracting those voters.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

if ossof loses, all I know is I'm not reading this thread for several weeks

Honestly, a lot of us should take a break regardless of the results tomorrow.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just saw about Charleena Lyle. Black pregnant mother of three with history of mental illness called police to report an attempted burglary, she had​ a knife, two white police shot and killed her in front of her children, agrees 11, 4, and 1.

Absolutely zero chance they even get prosecuted cause "hey, she had a knife".

I know a couple of summers ago a guy lost it in California and started killing random state troopers, but how long until someone starts intentionally targeting the officers from cases like this? I feel like that can't be far off at all, as many high profile cases as there continue to be.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Alter Ego posted:

I'm not sure you win the Georgia 6th at the Congressional level without attracting those voters.

all regions of the US are exactly the same, friend

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I can't wait for this Georgia race to be over. It feels like it's been going on for an eternity.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I just saw about Charleena Lyle. Black pregnant mother of three with history of mental illness called police to report an attempted burglary, she had​ a knife, two white police shot and killed her in front of her children, agrees 11, 4, and 1.

Absolutely zero chance they even get prosecuted cause "hey, she had a knife".

I know a couple of summers ago a guy lost it in California and started killing random state troopers, but how long until someone starts intentionally targeting the officers from cases like this? I feel like that can't be far off at all, as many high profile cases as there continue to be.

Its only going to get worse since Sessions has made it clear he has no intention of pushing Civil Rights violations cases.... :smith:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

They are almost certainly not getting them. They are going to have to hope Democratic voters come out in force and Republicans are too unmotivated to turn out. If they are banking on cross over Republicans they've already lost.

Gaunab posted:

I can't wait for this Georgia race to be over. It feels like it's been going on for an eternity.

No kidding. Whoever pointed out that the UK dissolved its government and had an election for a new one in less time than this one stupid seat really said it best about another example of how ridiculously bad out entire election system is.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Radish posted:

Are you just talking about the ads they've been running or something? He doesn't seem to be a particularly conservative Democrat.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Supposedly the Russian statement is word for word the same in the first breaking news report, and in airwars tweet. Looking to get a proper Russian translation right now.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm gonna take a weeklong break I think. Anyone needs me I'll be in one of the chill fishing threads for cool dudes and nice guys.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Chilichimp posted:

Honestly? I got tired of websites that told me to gently caress-off for running an ad blocker.

It was a while ago, I should look into it again. Is there a good one folks recommend?

I recommend uBlock Origin. You can always disable it for certain sites.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Ripoff posted:

Yeah, but it's to be expected - Repubs traditionally make it big on last-minute voting. The racists will be marching out from their whites-only gated retirement communities gnashing their false teeth and cursing the Hispanic and Black citizens of Atlanta, jump in their Japanese/German Sports Activity Vehicle, then vote for Handel. :heritage:

You forgot that they'll be listening to the local conservative radio programs telling about MARTA bringing THOSE PEOPLE to honest neighbourhoods the entire way

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Chilichimp posted:

I only mention it because I didn't notice this as recently as a week ago and I've seen no Ossof ads, and it feels like a loving mistake.

Honestly? I got tired of websites that told me to gently caress-off for running an ad blocker.

It was a while ago, I should look into it again. Is there a good one folks recommend?

uBlock origin, can whitelist certain sites or just press a big power button to turn off on a site by site basis, can even set to turn off just this once or always on a site

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
538 has a great little article on how important the Georgia election is:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-the-georgia-special-election-matters/

Basically, whichever way it goes, each side is going to treat is as a huge victory that means a lot.

It isn't.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Are you just talking about the ads they've been running or something? He doesn't seem to be a particularly conservative Democrat.

I'm not making the case that he's a GOP-lite or whatever (I don't know much about his actual politics). Just that if the DNC plan to take the election revolves around Romney type Republicans it's not going to work if they can't count on those guys not to vote massively pro-Republican down ticket even if they succeed and getting them to cross the aisle on the main Presidential election candidate.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Apparently if Ossoff loses the progressive wing is expected to push even harder for changes inside the DNC:

Politico posted:

With the race turning away from its early framing as a referendum on Trump, Democratic operatives have instead looked closely at Ossoff’s campaign for clues about messaging that other Democrats might emulate next year. That’s been a sensitive exercise: Democratic establishment strategists fret that the party’s liberal insurgent wing will take an Ossoff loss as evidence that candidates need a clearer, Bernie Sanders-like message of economic populism, while progressive leaders worry an Ossoff win could encourage the party to recruit more moderates.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/19/ossoff-handel-georgia-special-democrats-239698

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Yeah, I thought this would happen. We lost all because some crazy shooting one guy and the Repubs will feel enbolden to kill millions with AHCA. :sad:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

quote:

while progressive leaders worry an Ossoff win could encourage the party to recruit more moderates.

:siren: Losing the Georgia election is bad, winning it is also bad :siren:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Covok posted:

Yeah, I thought this would happen. We lost all because some crazy shooting one guy and the Repubs will feel enbolden to kill millions with AHCA. :sad:

yes, this is something worth declaring loudly today, rather than after the special election

it will be completely impossible to tease out a signal whether or not the shooting had a significant effect

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

theflyingorc posted:

538 has a great little article on how important the Georgia election is:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-the-georgia-special-election-matters/

Basically, whichever way it goes, each side is going to treat is as a huge victory that means a lot.

It isn't.

You know, it's hilarious to see both sides starting to push this whole "even if we lose, it's not a huge deal" narrative. It's like preemptive sour grapes.

If it's not a huge deal why is it the most expensive Congressional election in history?

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

A tie is still okay, right?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
What are the people here who are already calling GA-6 for Handel actually basing that on besides just overt pessimism?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Slaan posted:

You forgot that they'll be listening to the local conservative radio programs telling about MARTA bringing THOSE PEOPLE to honest neighbourhoods the entire way

I feel honestly blessed that I've never heard terrestrial Atlanta conservative radio talk-shows. They were dripping with racism up North the few times I heard them while changing stations, and I can't imagine how over the top it would be down here with a chunk of the populace remembering and seeing forced integration of schools. It has to be insane.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

enraged_camel posted:

You know, it's hilarious to see both sides starting to push this whole "even if we lose, it's not a huge deal" narrative. It's like preemptive sour grapes.

If it's not a huge deal why is it the most expensive Congressional election in history?

Nate Silver: "Both sides", apparently

Clunk Tap It
May 1, 2014

Blitz7x posted:

This but the opposite

Death needs to become a neoliberal?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

CascadeBeta posted:

What are the people here who are already calling GA-6 for Handel actually basing that on besides just overt pessimism?

It's been a safe conservative district for decades. GA-06 is practically the definition of white flight.

It really could go either way though.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

theflyingorc posted:

Nate Silver: "Both sides", apparently

Sorry, I should have mentioned I've been seeing similar posts on TD, except from their side (obviously).

Like, there was a thread raising awareness about the special election, and the most up-voted response was some dude saying "you know, it's not a big deal if Hendel loses, she's a regular Republican and not a Donald supporter."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CascadeBeta posted:

Detailed articles reporting on how the GA 6 voting machines remain almost absurdly vulnerable to hacking, with no paper trail, and the Republicans in charge of local government have done nothing to fix it.

Edit with link : http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/14/will-the-georgia-special-election-get-hacked-215255

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 19, 2017

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

No one wants to be caught with their pants down. Democrats spent on this race like crazy and Ossoff has a virtual army of volunteers. If he loses, it'll be embarrassing, regardless of the fact that this is a traditionally Republican district that Newt Gingrich and Tom Price both held.

Conversely, if Republicans lose, it will be embarrassing no matter how narrow the loss is, because a Republican's been in this seat for like 30 years.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Ossof is like the drat opposite of a progressive. And based on his involvement in intelligence as a Hill staffer, I'd say describing him as a neocon warhawk is about right. His primary campaign message is reigning in government waste.

That being said, he's the kind of democrat who has a punchers chance of winning in a red state.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It is like some folks just want to maximize their outrage impotent rage.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alter Ego posted:

No one wants to be caught with their pants down. Democrats spent on this race like crazy and Ossoff has a virtual army of volunteers. If he loses, it'll be embarrassing, regardless of the fact that this is a traditionally Republican district that Newt Gingrich and Tom Price both held.

Conversely, if Republicans lose, it will be embarrassing no matter how narrow the loss is, because a Republican's been in this seat for like 30 years.

So what you're saying is that this is a very important race.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

CascadeBeta posted:

It was Handel +20.6 last year and has been safe R for a long while. Even 538 admits that the current turn-out by party affiliation points to a Handel+2.1 victory so far. Rs need to turn on their own: that won't happen.

If it does, I'll be glad, but taking this forgone because of some polls is a joke when you consider 2016 where a bad event also happened to close to the election to be factored in to the final polls.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

And based on his involvement in intelligence as a Hill staffer, I'd say describing him as a neocon warhawk is about right.

Every member of the Deep State™ is a neocon warhawk, FYI.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

enraged_camel posted:

Sorry, I should have mentioned I've been seeing similar posts on TD, except from their side (obviously).

Like, there was a thread raising awareness about the special election, and the most up-voted response was some dude saying "you know, it's not a big deal if Hendel loses, she's a regular Republican and not a Donald supporter."

That's the thing, though. Silver really doesn't inject his personal analysis into it. His whole point is "the result isn't going to be really indicative of anything we don't know". However, Republicans are going to act like the results are significant. It could easily impact whether they go all in on AHCA or not - but they shouldn't.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
This is your regularly scheduled reminder that Karen Handel was single-handedly responsible for making the Susan G. Komen breast cancer charity organization pull out of Planned Parenthood, which resulted in a spectacular 22% drop in Komen's funding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Handel#Susan_G._Komen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Covok posted:

Even 538 admits that the current turn-out by party affiliation points to a Handel+2.1 victory so far. Rs need to turn on their own: that won't happen.
This isn't at all what 538 is saying you disingenuous moron.

*incredibly long article about why it could absolutely go either way, but Ossof has a slight polling edge*

"hoo boy, I better grab the number related to turnout in the previous special election and treat that as the only number that matters for some reason"

quote:

If it does, I'll be glad, but taking this forgone because of some polls is a joke when you consider 2016 where a bad event also happened to close to the election to be factored in to the final polls.
This also isn't true. The last few state polls were after the Comey letter. The issue was either shy Trump voters or poor LV models. You're completely talking out of your rear end

• Locked thread