Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So, someone in this thread no doubt knows exactly how closely Starfleet hews to navy rankings, so how many ranks does Sulu skip from V to VI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Sash! posted:

Although if we're talking 80s toy vehicle TV, the god-emperor is Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future.

J. Michael Straczynski sat down and had Robocop and Terminator make sweet, tender love. Which I might remind you is a children's show.

I don't know either, but was a hell of a thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M678PVOf5F0

Captain Power was incredible because the toys "played" with the TV by reading flashes of light like a light gun does and beeping and stuff.

I swore as a kid I felt I could affect the episode's plot with my plastic space ship/gun combo

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Orv posted:

So, someone in this thread no doubt knows exactly how closely Starfleet hews to navy rankings, so how many ranks does Sulu skip from V to VI?

None. He was promoted to Commander some time before TWoK and retained the rank until being promoted to Captain and assigned as CO of the Excelsior. Considering there's 8 years between TWoK and TUC, this is entirely feasible.

The problem is figuring out when TMP happened (no definitive date is given, but the best :spergin: estimate is somewhere between 2271 and 2274) because he was a Lieutenant before then, Lieutenant Commander at the time of TMP, and was Commander by TWoK.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Huh, does that stuff ever come up in the movies? My memory is shaky at best but I don't know that he ever gets called by rank in them. E: The earlier ones anyway.

Orv fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 19, 2017

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Kind of. There are consistent rank systems/insignia used in the movies and documented in :spergin: books (presumably designed by the production staff), but it's not referenced much/at all in the dialogue.

As for TMP's date, it's officially 2271. Scotty (?) mentions that the Ent had 18 months of refits, but I think it's always just been assumed that the refits began pretty much immediately after Turnabout Intruder.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In the Age of Sail Royal Navy, which at least the Meyer movies were based on, it wasn't unusual to have commanders filling in for senior positions usually held by a lieutenant due to the paucity of ships relative to the number of commanders.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I wish they had stuck with calling everyone the non gender specific Mister after WOK up

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
In another timeline Star Trek had a Hasbro deal and had a kickass 80's action-oriented cartoon show complete with evil organization with appropriate acronym.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Kind of. There are consistent rank systems/insignia used in the movies

Consistent right up until Valeris' uniform, when they just said, "Aw, gently caress it."

Arglebargle III posted:

In the Age of Sail Royal Navy, which at least the Meyer movies were based on, it wasn't unusual to have commanders filling in for senior positions usually held by a lieutenant due to the paucity of ships relative to the number of commanders.

Keep in mind, as well, that Sulu and company are only on the Enterprise in Wrath of Khan for training purposes (and in cut footage, Kirk says that Sulu's due to take command of the Excelsior in three weeks), and obviously in III and IV they're on the lam so no one's getting any new assignments. It's The Final Frontier and arguably The Undiscovered Country where things get cocked up, as everyone's right back where they started even though there should have been some progression -- Chekov was a first officer in Khan and now he's back to being the navigator / security chief, Sulu's back at the helm until taking over Excelsior between movies, Uhura's still all "hailing frequencies open, Captain," etc. I mean, poo poo, in the last two movies the Enterprise has three captains on it (and then Scotty is mysteriously back to being a commander in Generations).

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Timby posted:

It's The Final Frontier and arguably The Undiscovered Country where things get cocked up, as everyone's right back where they started even though there should have been some progression -- Chekov was a first officer in Khan and now he's back to being the navigator / security chief, Sulu's back at the helm until taking over Excelsior between movies, Uhura's still all "hailing frequencies open, Captain," etc. I mean, poo poo, in the last two movies the Enterprise has three captains on it (and then Scotty is mysteriously back to being a commander in Generations).

I'd always found that distracting, even as a kid, but now I've concluded that Starfleet just kept all these lunatics on the same ship to keep them from getting their own commands/other positions of authority. Sulu excepted, of course.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

Also any unrated ship smaller than a frigate wouldn't get a full post-captain to command it, it would get a commander who would be called "captain" by courtesy.

Lot of Aubrey-Maturin readers up in this thread.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

After The War posted:

I'd always found that distracting, even as a kid, but now I've concluded that Starfleet just kept all these lunatics on the same ship to keep them from getting their own commands/other positions of authority.

What always bothered me is that Spock gets demoted because he died. The Enterprise is his ship in Wrath of Khan, but after they get the -A, he's right back to being the first officer.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Captain Power was incredible because the toys "played" with the TV by reading flashes of light like a light gun does and beeping and stuff.

I swore as a kid I felt I could affect the episode's plot with my plastic space ship/gun combo

A friend of mine had the entire line of toys, with multiples of some stuff. His grandfather had been the CEO of a major company (like, one of those not kidding around GM/Boeing/Exxon level ultra-companies) during one of their best periods in their history, which meant his grandmother was wealthy with a capital W and it showed at Christmas time. One year, she went all in on Captain Power. It was a blast running around his house dogfighting.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

As if CBS's streaming offering wasn't already bad enough, Star Trek Discovery will have a mid-season break on top of only releasing one episode per week.

Premieres September 24

quote:

U.S. Schedule

Star Trek: Discovery will launch in the U.S. on Sunday, September 24 with a broadcast premiere that night on the CBS Television Network airing at 8:30-9:30 PM, ET/PT (time approximate following NFL Football and 60 Minutes). The series premiere will also be available on-demand on CBS All Access and the second episode of the series will be available on the service that same night immediately following the broadcast premiere.

After premiere night, all new episodes will be available on-demand weekly on Sundays exclusively for CBS All Access subscribers in the U.S. The 15-episode season will be released in two chapters. The first eight episodes will run from Sunday, Sept. 24 through Sunday, Nov. 5. The season will then resume with the second chapter debuting in January 2018.

http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-discovery-sets-premiere-date

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm thinking that's to buy them time on production (but also CBS is dumb and they know people will just binge the show and then drop All-Access).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

They were still shooting the pilot episode in the middle of March so that break is absolutely intended to buy them some production and post-production time (especially since they upped the episode order last month).

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

vermin posted:

In another timeline Star Trek had a Hasbro deal and had a kickass 80's action-oriented cartoon show complete with evil organization with appropriate acronym.

The intro would show off all the protagonists and antagonists. The flagship of the evil Star Empire (imagine the TNG promo guy doing the narration and pronouncing it 'Staaaaar Empire'), the classic Klingon ship named the Vengeance, flies toward the screen, and we dissolve into its bridge, where we see a Romulan, an Orion slave girl (as sexy as they can make her given the content rating), a hybrid Borg (in this show, most of the Borg are full-on robots, but this one is human), a Ferengi, a few miscellaneous aliens, and the Klingon captain. Move down, out of the bridge, to see the planet it's over, explosions visible from space.

The away team would be pinned down on the planet's surface by advancing Borg drones. Riker would leap over some debris into cover, then start blowing them away with his phaser as they haphazardly fired back. Worf would burst out of cover and start carving them up with his bat'leth. (Since they're robots, it's okay!)

Meanwhile, Geordi and Data are trapped in a holding cell with everything exploding. Geordi uses his VISOR (that's even a canon acronym: Visual Instrument and Sensory Organ Replacement!) to hack the control panel outside the cell and lower the force field, but then the ceiling collapses - and Data catches the debris, one-handed, and throws it aside.

Dr. Crusher sprays an injured Troi with a healing energy beam; then Troi returns the favor when a drone pops up to attack them by blasting it with her telekinesis (she's also a full-fledged telepath). Then the Enterprise swooshes overhead, clearly visible from the ground, and beams everyone directly into their bridge positions.

Picard gives an order (no voice, because the butt-rock version of the TNG theme is too loud) and points dramatically at the viewscreen; cut to the Enterprise blasting the Vengeance with phasers and photon torpedoes until the Klingon captain grits his teeth in rage and barks an order to have the Vengeance retreat into warp. Have the whole bridge crew beam onto a boulder or something to pose dramatically.

Stick a scene with Wesley in somewhere (he is, of course, the teen sidekick who gets the crew out of trouble almost as often as he gets them into it), and you're golden!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

shadok posted:

Also any unrated ship smaller than a frigate wouldn't get a full post-captain to command it, it would get a commander who would be called "captain" by courtesy.

Lot of Aubrey-Maturin readers up in this thread.

You've missed out unrated post - ships which it ain't surprising in such a great Dutch built lubber as yourself.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

FredMSloniker posted:

NeXt Generation: The Animated Series intro
I need it in my life
:rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L54GYRcxSM&t=36s

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
You know, Riker cavorting with the disc-and-cone-game lady on Risa, followed by Troi making love to her chocolate fudge sundae, makes The Game the least sexy instalment of Star Trek I've seen thus far by a long, long measure.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FredMSloniker posted:

Picard gives an order (no voice, because the butt-rock version of the TNG theme is too loud) and points dramatically at the viewscreen; cut to the Enterprise blasting the Vengeance with phasers and photon torpedoes until the Klingon captain grits his teeth in rage and barks an order to have the Vengeance retreat into warp. Have the whole bridge crew beam onto a boulder or something to pose dramatically.

Who does the "KIDS! SAY NO TO DRUGS!" psa at the end? Geordi and Data?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

spincube posted:

You know, Riker cavorting with the disc-and-cone-game lady on Risa, followed by Troi making love to her chocolate fudge sundae, makes The Game the least sexy instalment of Star Trek I've seen thus far by a long, long measure.

It also has a Wesley kiss.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Who does the "KIDS! SAY NO TO DRUGS!" psa at the end? Geordi and Data?

Guinan.

"We had a lot of fun today, but what's not fun is the things that drugs do to your body, and your mind. Starfleet winners don't do drugs!"

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

WampaLord posted:

It also has a Wesley kiss.

from the Traveler

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

FredMSloniker posted:

The intro would show off all the protagonists and antagonists. The flagship of the evil Star Empire (imagine the TNG promo guy doing the narration and pronouncing it 'Staaaaar Empire'), the classic Klingon ship named the Vengeance, flies toward the screen, and we dissolve into its bridge, where we see a Romulan, an Orion slave girl (as sexy as they can make her given the content rating), a hybrid Borg (in this show, most of the Borg are full-on robots, but this one is human), a Ferengi, a few miscellaneous aliens, and the Klingon captain. Move down, out of the bridge, to see the planet it's over, explosions visible from space.

The away team would be pinned down on the planet's surface by advancing Borg drones. Riker would leap over some debris into cover, then start blowing them away with his phaser as they haphazardly fired back. Worf would burst out of cover and start carving them up with his bat'leth. (Since they're robots, it's okay!)

Meanwhile, Geordi and Data are trapped in a holding cell with everything exploding. Geordi uses his VISOR (that's even a canon acronym: Visual Instrument and Sensory Organ Replacement!) to hack the control panel outside the cell and lower the force field, but then the ceiling collapses - and Data catches the debris, one-handed, and throws it aside.

Dr. Crusher sprays an injured Troi with a healing energy beam; then Troi returns the favor when a drone pops up to attack them by blasting it with her telekinesis (she's also a full-fledged telepath). Then the Enterprise swooshes overhead, clearly visible from the ground, and beams everyone directly into their bridge positions.

Stick a scene with Wesley in somewhere (he is, of course, the teen sidekick who gets the crew out of trouble almost as often as he gets them into it), and you're golden!

This is 10x better than the Discovery premise thus far

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Guinan.

"We had a lot of fun today, but what's not fun is the things that drugs do to your body, and your mind. Starfleet winners don't do drugs!"

Presumably every character would get one.

"Hey, kids, Geordi here. Sometimes you'll fall in love with a holographic projection of a girl you like, and that's great! But remember, if she doesn't like you back when you meet her for real, it's all her fault. So stay safe and keep on trekkin'!"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hello, children. My name is Data. While I do not require food, it is an established scientific fact that human children, such as yourselves, are healthiest when consuming a nutritious morning meal. For instance, this selection depicted on your screen at this time. It is imperative that you continue trekking within the appropriate safety parameters.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Wow. The network premiere is after an NFL football game.

This is an astoundingly savvy move by CBS, because if there's one thing Star Trek nerds love, it's NFL football.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sash! posted:

Hello, children. My name is Data. While I do not require food, it is an established scientific fact that human children, such as yourselves, are healthiest when consuming a nutritious morning meal. For instance, this selection depicted on your screen at this time. It is imperative that you continue trekking within the appropriate safety parameters.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WhiteHowler posted:

Wow. The network premiere is after an NFL football game.

This is an astoundingly savvy move by CBS, because if there's one thing Star Trek nerds love, it's NFL football.

Definitely make sure that your Pilot for an expensive new series is set tentatively at the half-hour after a variable-length sporting event and/or a news show famous for going over time even though the length of the program is literally the name of the program.

Is someone intentionally sabotaging this or are they simply this incompetent?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

FredMSloniker posted:

This makes me disappointed that I can't find TNG footage cut to 90'x X-Men cartoon theme, because that is exactly what I was hearing in my head while reading this.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Bloop posted:

Definitely make sure that your Pilot for an expensive new series is set tentatively at the half-hour after a variable-length sporting event and/or a news show famous for going over time even though the length of the program is literally the name of the program.

Is someone intentionally sabotaging this or are they simply this incompetent?

Six of one...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I thought the first episode of Discovery was weird, since it dedicated the first 20 minutes to the end of an old football game for some reason. Then it just jumps in halfway through a completely different story with no character introductions. Maybe it's a Futurama reference or something.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 19, 2017

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

skasion posted:

Six of one...

What kind of weird Borg designation is that

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

thexerox123 posted:

What kind of weird Borg designation is that

"I am not a number! I am a free man!"
"Resistance is futile."

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

"I am not a number! I am a free man!"
"Resistance is futile."

I'd like to see the Borg try to assimilate Rover.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Picard: "Commander Data, what are you doing?"
Data: "I am smoking a cigarette, captain. It is an attempt to appear more socially acceptable to the crew."
Troi: "Even though smoking doesn't damage your robot body, it can still be dangerous to other lifeforms."
Data: "I was not aware of that."
Geordi: "Second hand smoke from a cigarette can put all of us in harms way."
Crusher: "In fact, second hand smoke may even be more dangerous than if you were smoking it directly."
Worf: "It is truly dishonorable."
Data: "From now on, the only smoking I will partake in is if my processor is overheating."
*sparks fly from his head*
Geordi: "Say it don't spray it!"

Picard: "Warp 10 to good health!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really wish there was a post Voyager something. One interesting thing that came out of that show was that they rehabilitated several borg drones. That should be an interesting development when they get back. The Federation should start collecting drones and freeing them. That would be a nice mission for an organization that is interested in making the galaxy better for everyone. Would make for some cool stories about where the people came from and how they were turned into drones. Plus it could end with enough intel being found on the Borg to bring them down and end that lame villain once and for all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

vermin posted:

Picard: "Commander Data, what are you doing?"
Data: "I am smoking a cigarette, captain. It is an attempt to appear more socially acceptable to the crew."
Troi: "Even though smoking doesn't damage your robot body, it can still be dangerous to other lifeforms."
Data: "I was not aware of that."
Geordi: "Second hand smoke from a cigarette can put all of us in harms way."
Crusher: "In fact, second hand smoke may even be more dangerous than if you were smoking it directly."
Worf: "It is truly dishonorable."
Data: "From now on, the only smoking I will partake in is if my processor is overheating."
*sparks fly from his head*
Geordi: "Say it don't spray it!"

Picard: "Warp 10 to good health!"

They all stand there laughing as the 'Executive Producer - Gene Roddenberry' credit comes up. Fade to black.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mid season break just cemented the fact that there's no way in hell I'm subscribing to all access for it.

gently caress you CBS. It's perfectly timed to make you purchase two full months of all access in the fall when you really only need it for like a month and a half. There's similar waste after it starts back up again.

So, basically, you are asking us to shell out about $30 to watch a commercial laden sub-par stream that we don't even own at the end.

Nope, nope nope nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I really wish there was a post Voyager something. One interesting thing that came out of that show was that they rehabilitated several borg drones. That should be an interesting development when they get back. The Federation should start collecting drones and freeing them. That would be a nice mission for an organization that is interested in making the galaxy better for everyone. Would make for some cool stories about where the people came from and how they were turned into drones. Plus it could end with enough intel being found on the Borg to bring them down and end that lame villain once and for all.

A Federation ... collective ... beaming onto Borg ships, and forcibly indoctrinating them?