Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

seiferguy posted:

Everything you need to know about Ballmer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtuDS0ntaJY

Also, hot take on the Evergreen State College situation: Weinstein lost all support as a progressive when he decided to go on Tucker Carlson's show and act like he was the victim.

This is a joke video and therefore pretty funny.
He is an rear end in a top hat billionaire who should gtfo of the PNW though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

seiferguy posted:

Also, hot take on the Evergreen State College situation: Weinstein lost all support as a progressive when he decided to go on Tucker Carlson's show and act like he was the victim.
No, he pretty much immediately ran to conservative media outlets when this all started. He was on the Joe Rogan Experience like two weeks ago.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

anthonypants posted:

No, he pretty much immediately ran to conservative media outlets when this all started. He was on the Joe Rogan Experience like two weeks ago.

That was... kind of my point? :confused: I watched VICE's segment on the fiasco, and he was interviewed, and he said he saw himself as a progressive. But he went to suck on the conservative teat when it was convenient for him to do so.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

seiferguy posted:

That was... kind of my point? :confused: I watched VICE's segment on the fiasco, and he was interviewed, and he said he saw himself as a progressive. But he went to suck on the conservative teat when it was convenient for him to do so.
Ah, my bad, I thought the Tucker Carlson thing was recent.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Eat the rich.

Income tax works on making more money. It's not like hes making anymore money.....

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

BlueBlazer posted:

Eat the rich.

Income tax works on making more money. It's not like hes making anymore money.....

But something something job creators

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Weinstein has always been the shittiest. Always. People warned others not to take the one program with the one book he's been teaching for years. If an Evergeen professor never or rarely teaches combo programs with other professors stay the hell away.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Was it his book? Professors whose required reading literally include their own works, are the loving worst

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Was it his book? Professors whose required reading literally include their own works, are the loving worst

I had one who would read his book sitting in a chair facing the class. He would write over his shoulder backwards on the board things he wanted to emphasize.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
loving education.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad SPD continues to murder black people for no reason

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I'm not.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I'm glad SPD continues to murder black people for no reason

Well, you know she had a knife and it could have been a trick calling about a burglary to get cops there to murder THEM in front of her kids.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Well, you know she had a knife and it could have been a trick calling about a burglary to get cops there to murder THEM in front of her kids.

Well, she was black so of course she was dangerous, all the news headlines have made that clear.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Solkanar512 posted:

So what in the gently caress is going on here? The last thing I want to do is point to someone who is accusing someone in power of sexual assault or rape of making it all up, but given this and previous bad behavior of the lawyer in question, the whole thing feels sketchy as gently caress. You just don't see these sorts of shenanigans with other prominent cases, such as the Cosby case going on now.

Dude probably (justifiably) believes he'll come across better on the stand if he's clean and sober. The mayor absolutely did it, no reason to drop out otherwise.

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 19, 2017

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Relevant Tangent posted:

The mayor absolutely did it, no reason to drop out otherwise.
"He correctly figured out the case would just get dropped if he dropped out of the race, and valued personal time not having to deal with a law suit over being in that particular office at this particular time" seems like a really good reason.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Relevant Tangent posted:

Dude probably (justifiably) believes he'll come across better on the stand if he's clean and sober. The mayor absolutely did it, no reason to drop out otherwise.

This is a terrible assumption to make.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Relevant Tangent posted:

That said however, it being announced in public that he's got a substance problem that he needs to go deal with, pretty much torpedoes him realistically, for anybody who hears about it and ends up on a jury

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Holy poo poo all the terrible "the officers did nothing wrong" takes on Charleena Lyles. I am so angry. She never, ever should have been shot to death in front of her kids for having a mental health crisis. I know so many people who worked with her and are devastated because everyone is trying to figure out what else we could have done to help her and her kids.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I know so many people who worked with her and are devastated because everyone is trying to figure out what else we could have done to help her and her kids.
Perhaps working for justice following her death, would be a half-step

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

We're organzing to help demand justice, and help her family and there is a lot of soul searching about what else we could have done prevent this. But there is so much else that could have been done on our end and on every end of the social service system to help her and prevent this. She deserved so much better..

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
You keep going on about "what we could have done," are you a police officer? Because otherwise you couldn't have done poo poo but also get arrested and/or shot for interfering with them serving her to death.

http://www.theroot.com/pregnant-seattle-woman-calls-police-ends-up-dead-1796214185 (this link includes dispatch and body cam recordings, I believe. It sounds like everything was super calm while she's discussing someone stealign an XBox then suddenly you hear a clatter and the cop shouts GET BACK a couple times before several shots are fired. Them talking poo poo about her mental previous episodes and how they think they should "not let her get behind you" make it pretty clear what their mindset was going in, imho. You can't hear anything about her "talking all crazy about [the police] leaving" except they claim that she'd said this BEFORE they arrived on scene, if I'm understanding the timeline of the recording)

quote:

The officers can be heard discussing Lyles’ previous calls to police and her mental-health issues. One officer says that Lyles began “talking all crazy about how the officers weren’t gonna leave,” while another asks if she had a “mental precaution on her.” The officer responds that she has an officer-safety precaution on file.

The recording reveals that officers were aware of Lyles’ mental-health issues and the fact that children might be in the home before they opened fire in the apartment. One officer asks, “Wait, is this the one with, like, the three kids?”

“Yeah,” the other officer responds. “Yeah, so this gal is the one who was making all the [inaudible] statements about how her and her daughter were gonna turn into wolves.”

The woman, presumably Lyles, allows officers to enter, and she explains the break-in to the cops. The children can be heard in the background as she answers questions. The conversation seems civil as she lists the items missing, and then the officers yell “Get back!” approximately 11 seconds before gunshots are heard.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 20, 2017

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Definitely not police but I work for a social services agency. My coworker was going to see her Sunday and feels like there was something she coulr have done, even though the likely answer is "get shot too".

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

The mayor absolutely did it, no reason to drop out otherwise.

It's probably not fun to run a political campaign while fielding constant questions about those minors you paid for sex whether you did it or not.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah. I'm pretty familiar with Cahoots in Eugene, but you can't really call non-police services when someone burglarizes you. And since it seems obvious in this case that the police were at the very least familiar with her specifically (even if it was as a "hilarious anecdote about the wolf-lady",) they obviously were not taking her nearly as seriously as a citizen in need of assistance, as much as a potential threat.

I have some small personal experience on both sides of interacting with the cops in a scenario like that and basically, you are going to be treated like a doormat if you try to warn them, try to assist them, or basically do anything which they perceive as a threat to their over-riding authority in any and all interactions. Even if they don't perceive you as a threat, I can personally attest to the fact that they really do not give one or two shits about a citizen who's been burglarized - they will take your name and info and rattle off some bullshit about how you ought to contact them if you get any leads - and then they literally do not follow up when you call them and give them a tip if, say, your XBox was stolen and you're pretty sure you can help locate it as soon as it comes online again..

But hey, I did have three cop cars arrive on-scene at 9am, despite two of the cars and officers just sitting on the curb and bullshitting with the other officer outside of my hearing range (for the better part of an hour, during morning rush hour traffic - couldn't they have been more effective out catching people running red lights or something?) and when I called with a tip about my property and how to find it (an xbox literally has a hotline which is set up for police to call and it'll auto-contat them if the device comes online again,) they never contacted me again. The one officer who entered my home to take my statement and examine the area of break-in, covered my bathroom in fingerprint powder (looks like graphite?) and then left a much bigger mess for me to clean up than was caused in the break-in.

FTP.

I wish I'd have taken a picture of the officer who lives across from my brother in Junction City, who literally has a red/white/blue punisher skull flag flying in his front yard. Protect and serve, indeed

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 20, 2017

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Yeah. I'm pretty familiar with Cahoots in Eugene, but you can't really call non-police services when someone burglarizes you. And since it seems obvious in this case that the police were at the very least familiar with her specifically (even if it was as a "hilarious anecdote about the wolf-lady",) they obviously were not taking her nearly as seriously as a citizen in need of assistance, as much as a potential threat.

I have some small personal experience on both sides of interacting with the cops in a scenario like that and basically, you are going to be treated like a doormat if you try to warn them, try to assist them, or basically do anything which they perceive as a threat to their over-riding authority in any and all interactions. Even if they don't perceive you as a threat, I can personally attest to the fact that they really do not give one or two shits about a citizen who's been burglarized - they will take your name and info and rattle off some bullshit about how you ought to contact them if you get any leads - and then they literally do not follow up when you call them and give them a tip if, say, your XBox was stolen and you're pretty sure you can help locate it as soon as it comes online again..

But hey, I did have three cop cars arrive on-scene at 9am, despite two of the cars and officers just sitting on the curb and bullshitting with the other officer outside of my hearing range (for the better part of an hour, during morning rush hour traffic - couldn't they have been more effective out catching people running red lights or something?) and when I called with a tip about my property and how to find it (an xbox literally has a hotline which is set up for police to call and it'll auto-contat them if the device comes online again,) they never contacted me again. The one officer who entered my home to take my statement and examine the area of break-in, covered my bathroom in fingerprint powder (looks like graphite?) and then left a much bigger mess for me to clean up than was caused in the break-in.

FTP.

I wish I'd have taken a picture of the officer who lives across from my brother in Junction City, who literally has a red/white/blue punisher skull flag flying in his front yard. Protect and serve, indeed

Junction City but no rebel flag? Shameful.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

therobit posted:

Junction City but no rebel flag? Shameful.
I'm not sure about the adults, but the high school kids in JC are mainly super on-top of things, and they do not give any slack about racism. My nephew and his friends were joking about one kid who was moving to some dinky-rear end town in far eastern oregon and they said, repeatedly, "well he'll be way happier being a racist in that town, than here. He's a racist douchebag." They even mentioned the other day how they'd rode the bus to Eugene and "there were a bunch of sketchy dirty drop-out kids all over, it was super-sketchy, we didn't wanna get anywhere near them".

So even if the adults suck, the kids are allright

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 20, 2017

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

coyo7e posted:

I'm not sure about the adults, but the high school kids in JC are mainly super on-top of things, and they do not give any slack about racism. My nephew and his friends were joking about one kid who was moving to some dinky-rear end town in far eastern oregon and they said, repeatedly, "well he'll be way happier being a racist in that town, than here. He's a racist douchebag." They even mentioned the other day how they'd rode the bus to Eugene and "there were a bunch of sketchy dirty drop-out kids all over, it was super-sketchy, we didn't wanna get anywhere near them".

So even if the adults suck, the kids are allright

Yeah, I was basically stereotyping an entire town based on the slackjawed yokels I have come in contact with that were from that town. I have never spent more time there than passing through, and the recent wave of transplants has flooding into Eugene has sureley moved the culture a little in the outlying areas as well.

My impressions of most places in the state were mostly fixed during my childhood and adolescence. Back then places like Pendleton and Dallas still had active KKK, though by that point they were underground. Milwaukie used to be a hub of skinhead activity. In fact the whole Portland area had a lot of skinheads. Mostly Volksfront and Hammerskins, but enough of a skinhead culture to support a decently sized contingent of SHARPs. Sometimes things change for the better I guess.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah, I attended my nephew's HS graduation a couple weekends ago, and his entire graduating class were really good kids. Like, shockingly nice, smart, and on-top of events. Way more than my grad class was, we were just entitled ignorant little shits for the most part. His graduating high school class was basically on the same level as me and my friends were after a couple years of college rubbed off our racistrough edges, I was pretty impressed.

Their pranks were pretty milquetoast, though.. Nobody got saran-wrapped to a flagpole and covered in chocolate syrup or anything.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
What the gently caress http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/state-cracking-down-on-left-lane-campers-this-week/536187895

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.100

quote:

(2) Upon all roadways having two or more lanes for traffic moving in the same direction, all vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, except (a) when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, (b) when traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow, (c) when moving left to allow traffic to merge, or (d) when preparing for a left turn at an intersection, exit, or into a private road or driveway when such left turn is legally permitted. On any such roadway, a vehicle or combination over ten thousand pounds shall be driven only in the right-hand lane except under the conditions enumerated in (a) through (d) of this subsection.

i.e. don't be an rear end and drive 58mph in the left lane.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Good. Campers suck and are noobs!!

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Good. Campers suck and are noobs!!

I disagree, *CAMPERS* are the best. It is *HAPPY*!

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

A law I am OK with being actively enforced.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Steve Jorbs posted:

A law I am OK with being actively enforced.

I'm sure increased enforcement won't disproportionately affect minorities...

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ElCondemn posted:

I'm sure increased enforcement won't disproportionately affect minorities...

Are you saying minorities disproportionately drive slowly in the left lane? In my experience it has almost always been old white people, driving slowly in the left lane because they are afraid of merging.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Peachfart posted:

Are you saying minorities disproportionately drive slowly in the left lane? In my experience it has almost always been old white people, driving slowly in the left lane because they are afraid of merging.

Moving violations have a long and well-documented history as a pretext to pull over/hassle/search cars belonging to minorities. In some cases, moving violations are even used as a justification for summary execution.

Assholes who drive slowly in the left lane suck. But really with how law enforcement handles routine traffic stops it doesn't suck enough for me to support a push to increase enforcement.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Peachfart posted:

Probably meant that the police will choose to enforce the law against minorities who are in the left lane more than against their white counterparts because police have shown to disproportionally target minorities, regardless of the law they are enforcing. Its a good thing they are targetting left lane campers, it will be a bad thing if they are targeting minorities more than white people.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

El Jebus posted:

Probably meant that the police will choose to enforce the law against minorities who are in the left lane more than against their white counterparts because police have shown to disproportionally target minorities, regardless of the law they are enforcing. Its a good thing they are targetting left lane campers, it will be a bad thing if they are targeting minorities more than white people.

Agreed, that would be bad. But there is nothing stopping them from going after minorities now, so simply adding a focus on left lane camping shouldn't affect minorities much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Camping in the right lane means you won't/can't merge to the left when people are merging from an onramp, and that's way worse than any problem centered around someone going the speed limit in the left lane.