Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Any standard USB 101-key keyboard should be fine, unless you're looking for fancy gamer poo poo on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

I made a terrible mistake and bought a keyboard that I use at work because I'm cheap and also I like it but I found out that it's really not good for playing games on (it is too small, basically), does anyone have any suggestions for inexpensive keyboards?

Though I may also look into one of those G13 gamepads, those look neat.

I'd spring for a mechanical if you can afford it, I never ever ever ever ever want to go back to a membrane one now.

I ordered one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013P0HW7K

Razor ~Orbweaver~

I'll post a trip report after I get it set up and use it a few days

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
don't buy fancy gamer poo poo

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I have BTN to 30, are levequests the best way to level it, or is there some secret I'm not aware of?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Levequests, and do your daily GC high quality turnins.

While hammering out leves or grinding your turnins, you can also have food (+3%) and your GC survival manual (+50% exp I think?) active.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Amazon has this mechanical keyboard on sale for $70 right now. White LED, Cherry Red version only it seems:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01CDYB8AG

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Renegret posted:

don't buy fancy gamer poo poo

I definitely don't need fancy gamer poo poo, I just want something that feels good and that I won't accidentally hit the wrong keys on

victrix posted:

I'd spring for a mechanical if you can afford it, I never ever ever ever ever want to go back to a membrane one now.

I ordered one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013P0HW7K

Razor ~Orbweaver~

I'll post a trip report after I get it set up and use it a few days

This is like way out of my price range.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Are Paladins good yet? Since it's all I play.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Levantine posted:

Are Paladins good yet? Since it's all I play.

Paladins got a potency buff across the board, they can now block magic damage, they get a spammable AOE sword spin attack, and they get a 430 potency nuke.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Can anyone explain how that ast full draw thing actually works? Does it randomly assign you a card, royal effect, and something in your sleeve when activated?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Honestly keyboards are like cars: you have to get your hands on one to get a feel for what is comfortable for you. You don't have to spend a lot to get one that looks and feels good to you.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
*posts 10,000 word essay about the virtues of mechanical keyboards*

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

I made a terrible mistake and bought a keyboard that I use at work because I'm cheap and also I like it but I found out that it's really not good for playing games on (it is too small, basically), does anyone have any suggestions for inexpensive keyboards?

Though I may also look into one of those G13 gamepads, those look neat.
The Monoprice mechanical keyboards are good, and cheap. Their Cherry switch ones are like $60 and the chinese cherry knock offs are $30 but idk how they feel.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
*holds up sign that reads Cherry Brown or death*

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SettingSun posted:

Honestly keyboards are like cars: you have to get your hands on one to get a feel for what is comfortable for you. You don't have to spend a lot to get one that looks and feels good to you.

This is true but also like cars if you ask around and combine it with some research it will help you make a better decision.

Whereas what I did was take a car that I liked driving on my commute and decided to buy another one so I could race with it.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Renegret posted:

*holds up sign that reads Cherry Brown or death*

I use Cherry Blacks and I'm not sorry.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

I definitely don't need fancy gamer poo poo, I just want something that feels good and that I won't accidentally hit the wrong keys on

This is like way out of my price range.

Not the stupid Razer crap, that's stupid Razer crap - the mechanical keyboard suggestion is what I meant. You can get a mech keyboard pretty cheap.

With the right switch type, they're incomparably better (and massively more durable) than equivalent membrane keyboards.

I used to burn through a membrane kb every year (or faster), I've had my current mech for years with no issue (granted, my job was literally writing, so the use case there + gaming meant a higher load than normal, but point stands).

Griz
May 21, 2001

nuru posted:

Can anyone explain how that ast full draw thing actually works? Does it randomly assign you a card, royal effect, and something in your sleeve when activated?

AST has 4 slots - drawn card, spread card, royal effect, and minor arcana. that skill fills all the slots that didn't already have something in them.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Definitely look into grabbing a mechanical keyboard if you can. Sturdier and better tactile feel, plus you can annoy the poo poo out of everyone on voice coms when you mash buttons for your rotation. There's basically no downside, and you should be able to grab a pretty good one for 60-80 bucks. Just don't fall into the trap of buying poo poo with GAMER plastered all over it. I've got a G710 with blue switches, and the G1-6 keys I quite literally never touch, and it's got a bunch of dumb buttons along the top that I don't even know the function of. Ignore all that poo poo and you can get a good keyboard for a good price.

I've heard good things about Das Keyboard, but their poo poo always looked pretty expensive so probably out of the price range you're looking at unless you have a fit of irresponsible spending decisions.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I haven't tried it yet it SB but I was disappointed about the shift away from placing tons of DOTs on everything. I don't care if it took up a lot of buttons, I still liked loading up all the enemies up with like 5 different sources of ticking damage and then tell myself yeah that's a lot of dots.

Also I'm worried that making Lucid Dreaming (refresh) a role action is going to create balance issues in the future, since SCH originally had a different MP flow with aetherflow and energy drain, and now they have to balance that against having the same refresh as WHM and AST

WHM and SCH both have a 60s cd that recovers 10% of MP. Hell, WHM's even comes with a free indomitability and significantly more AoE than SCHs can ever dream of.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

So this G13 gameboard. How does it feel in practice? I am strongly considering one but it's so different I don't want to rely on impulse.

I use a Das Keyboard model S with Cherry Blues :ssh:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

SettingSun posted:

So this G13 gameboard. How does it feel in practice? I am strongly considering one but it's so different I don't want to rely on impulse.

I have an ancient Nostromo in my closet somewhere from when I was playing wow many moons ago. I used it like twice and gave up because it was pointless. I had to move my hand off of it all the time to type and do things, there wasn't really a very good and comfortable place for it on my desk because you need both it and the keyboard, and after awhile I felt like one of those rear end in a top hat kids at high school who shows up with a TI-89 instead of the TI-83 and tries to show it off. Your keyboard probably already has better switches and construction quality in it anyway.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The text on the Syldra mount is great. Also drat, I did not know those earrings would come with that bonus.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

unless you have a fit of irresponsible spending decisions.

I definitely do but I'm trying to not do that this time

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Just join us cool kids and use a controller.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I use this keyboard and it works pretty good https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Desktop-MK120-Mouse-keyboard/dp/B003NREDC8/
v:)v

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

SettingSun posted:

My friend has one but he said the thumbstick was kinda jank, he actually ripped it out and replaced it himself with a proper gamepad thumbstick, but he's handy that way, I'm not. That's why I ordered the stupid Razer one.

Other than that he said the rest of it is pretty cool - though worth noting it is membrane, one of the Razer models is mech (the one I ordered)

Mainly I want them for the thumbstick, not having to use keys for movement means I can move and mash combat keys even more easily (not to mention just being comfy), and having all buttons nicely lined up on two or three rows max is great.

(side note: WASD needs to die in a fire and I really wish companies would stop putting default buttons out to =, who the hell reaches over there midfight? All the hotbar buttons and primary functions should be mapped to buttons around the movement keys :mad:)

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

I definitely do but I'm trying to not do that this time

Yeah, the main reason I suggest mechanical is I used to use membrane ones, and I'd go through them like one every 2 years or so. I've had this g710 for years now and all I do is occasionally (once a year at most) break out all the keys and pull out a toothbrush to really clean the dust and it's exactly as good as the day I bought it. Buy a good mechanical keyboard for like 60-80 and never have to spend money on a keyboard again.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I wouldn't want to game on a keyboard I wouldn't want to type on.

I owned one of those silly Logitech G510 programmable monstrosities. Underneath all the lights, gadgets and programmable buttons it was just a really lovely keyboard. Replaced with with a WASD with clears for the same price and it's a billion times better for everything. (I have a CM Storm in Browns that I take to work that I got on sale one black friday too. It works fine for games, I just don't want to carry it back and forth every day.)

Anything marked for gamers is going to be either inferior quality or higher price for no reason because gamers are idiots who are easily separated from their money.

*climbs off soap box*

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
*climbs back on soap box*

The best non-mechanical keyboard I've ever used in my life was a generic Best Buy one I spent like $10 on. It wasn't mechanical but emulated the feel of mechanical keyboards and I'm kind of mad I threw it away because there was nothing wrong with it.

Just buy what feels good to you, basically.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Renegret posted:

Anything marked for gamers is going to be either inferior quality or higher price for no reason because gamers are idiots who are easily separated from their money.

this is every demographic because marketing is a vampire, gamers just have more money and fewer dependents to spend it on on aggregate

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Help I'm almost 65 and still in the Ruby Sea even though I didn't level at all once I hit The Wall so I was only 60

I'm in sidequest hell and I can't stop myself from doing them!!!

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Renegret posted:

*climbs back on soap box*

The best non-mechanical keyboard I've ever used in my life was a generic Best Buy one I spent like $10 on. It wasn't mechanical but emulated the feel of mechanical keyboards and I'm kind of mad I threw it away because there was nothing wrong with it.

Just buy what feels good to you, basically.

The $20 business keyboards you can order from Dell were always the standard for basic keyboards to me (like this one). My experience with buying a random budget 'board from Walmart/Best Buy was that it was a gamble if I found something good like whatever you got at Best Buy, or a piece of garbage.

After I found out you could get off-brand mechanical keyboards from something like Monoprice or Rosewill that were like the ones from the 90s but not giant and beige, I started using those, but those Dell keyboards were nice too.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Ciaphas posted:

Help I'm almost 65 and still in the Ruby Sea even though I didn't level at all once I hit The Wall so I was only 60

i ended up leaving ruby sea because gently caress there's so many quests there and more pop up, i wanted to keep doing the story

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ciaphas posted:

I finished Ruby Sea at just shy of 66, and the only non-questing content I've done is my daily LLDR, and maybe 50-75% of a level's worth of PvP.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ruby Sea shows the flaws of the quest tracking system, you can only track five quests at any given time and the map doesn't tell you at all if there's a quest objective nearby you could do if you aren't tracking it. And toggling which quests you're tracking in the journal is inexplicably slow.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

I did this until the start of Azim Steppe, but letting go and just sticking to the MSQ made the game a hell of a lot more fun. I'm sure I'll go back and do the rest of the side quests after I finish the MSQ, but being overgeared and having flying will make them a lot less irritating, as will not feeling a time crunch to finish them all ASAP. There are some cute stories in the side quests, so imo it's better to enjoy them for their own sake later instead of feeling pressured to rush them all now.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I am against mechanical keyboards until mechanical keyboard users turn off voice activation. I hate that noise. I think mechanical keyboard lovers love the noise and love making others hear it and all the other things they tell you are just lies to hide the truth of their real desire in life: making annoying clickity clackity noises.

AST sleeve draw skill is completely random. I think you're supposed to use it in that situation in which you drew a balance and don't have the appropriate royal road effect, to try to get that royal road effect, and then blow up the other cards appropriately. It'll clog up your held card so don't use it with that empty. But you only ever hold a balance. So yeah.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ruta posted:

I am against mechanical keyboards until mechanical keyboard users turn off voice activation. I hate that noise. I think mechanical keyboard lovers love the noise and love making others hear it and all the other things they tell you are just lies to hide the truth of their real desire in life: making annoying clickity clackity noises.

AST sleeve draw skill is completely random. I think you're supposed to use it in that situation in which you drew a balance and don't have the appropriate royal road effect, to try to get that royal road effect, and then blow up the other cards appropriately. It'll clog up your held card so don't use it with that empty. But you only ever hold a balance. So yeah.

anyone who uses voice activation or, lord help me, constant broadcast, in voice chat already deserves death regardless of their keyboard preferences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm curious about mechanical keyboards but my computer is in a room I share with my fiancé as an office and I don't want her to leave/kill me

PS My phone autocorrected the spelling of fiancé to have the accent, I'm not a bad person