Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Benito Cereno posted:

The actual reason why Glomgold was made Scottish instead of South African was because Ducktales came out in the '80s and they did not want that apartheid stink on a Disney character.

I mean the guy's a ruthless greedy villain, South African "white" business tycoon is exactly appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lurdiak posted:

Don Rosa is a very cranky man.

I love how several posts poo poo on Don Rosa because of a shot of a text that nobody knows if it is even by Don Rosa, what the context is and what the reason is. If someone posts it on Reddit and then Fox News makes a story out of it we have the perfect fake news cycle.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Decius posted:

I love how several posts poo poo on Don Rosa because of a shot of a text that nobody knows if it is even by Don Rosa, what the context is and what the reason is. If someone posts it on Reddit and then Fox News makes a story out of it we have the perfect fake news cycle.

Yeah I suppose it's possible someone totally unrelated to Don Rosa put that sign down right next to him at his table at this con.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Samuringa posted:

Someone figured out Clone Saga II: Gweniverse

I think you mean Spider-verse III: Gweniverse.

Spider-Verse II is Venomverse.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the new DuckTales cartoon looks like it'll be fun but after watching some of the more recent preview videos I feel like David Tennant sounds too young to be Scrooge.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the new DuckTales cartoon looks like it'll be fun but after watching some of the more recent preview videos I feel like David Tennant sounds too young to be Scrooge.

I'm not sure who told him he should go into voice acting, he really doesn't have a ton of range.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You can tell the casting director of Ducktails '17 listens to Comedy Bang Bang.

I bet the first suggestion for Scrooge was Paul F Tompkins.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Decius posted:

It is Rosa. He has that sign on his table every year at HeroesCon.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not sure who told him he should go into voice acting, he really doesn't have a ton of range.

I managed to catch the tail end of one of his talks at the local con over the weekend. He was funny, but everyone who asked him for advice on acting got pretty much nothing, which is unusual.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last time I saw Rosa, he had a sign saying he wouldn't sign the Boom reprints of Life and Times. I wonder what the story is there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Last time I saw Rosa, he had a sign saying he wouldn't sign the Boom reprints of Life and Times. I wonder what the story is there.

Probably cheated him out of royalties somehow?

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

You can tell the casting director of Ducktails '17 listens to Comedy Bang Bang.

I bet the first suggestion for Scrooge was Paul F Tompkins.

Nah he's too busy being Gladstone Gander, which is pitch perfect casting for him.

Lurdiak posted:

Pretty sure Glomgold is Scottish in the cartoon, not Irish, since he dresses, talks and acts like a racist stereotype of Scottish people. He's wearing a goddamn kilt!

You're right. I mixed the two up.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Yeah I never got the impression that Glomgold was Irish.
The new one, who knows. He does have a green suit so maybe? I think he should be a Trump like trust baby.

Also the big question is who should voice Darkwing Duck when he shows up. (And he must show up.)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Question IRL posted:

The new one, who knows. He does have a green suit so maybe? I think he should be a Trump like trust baby.

Also the big question is who should voice Darkwing Duck when he shows up. (And he must show up.)

Will Arnett

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

The Question IRL posted:

Jim Cummings is still working as a voice actor. Heck, he does a good number of the voices in the WoW Legion Expansion.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 19, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I collect statues and stuff of a few specific characters. I had the idea of getting the first appearance issue for each of them to hang on the wall (since the wall space behind the shelves is just being wasted) but 2 of them are Cyclops and Green Arrow, so that's just not happening.

Anyone recommend good issues to represent those two? And not you know, several thousand dollars. They don't actually have to be good comics.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Aphrodite posted:

I collect statues and stuff of a few specific characters. I had the idea of getting the first appearance issue for each of them to hang on the wall (since the wall space behind the shelves is just being wasted) but 2 of them are Cyclops and Green Arrow, so that's just not happening.

Anyone recommend good issues to represent those two? And not you know, several thousand dollars. They don't actually have to be good comics.

Good one for cyclops would be giant size #1 no?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-Men (1992) #1 is certainly a good cover for Cyclops.

Maybe Long Bow Hunters #1 for GA?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Aphrodite posted:

What costume is Cyclops in?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe Uncanny #138 for Cyclops?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

Maybe Uncanny #138 for Cyclops?

God drat you, I was just going to post that once I learned what costume he wore!

Edit:

UXM 136 (where he's holding Phoenix)
UXM 201
XM 59
XM 44 (2nd series)

pubic works project fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 19, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a mix of costumes anyway..

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them all out when i get a chance.

Edit: The other two I have right now are Canary and Emma (I think you see the theme here.) I got JLA #75 and the action figure cover of Uncanny 600 for those two. Emma's first appearance doesn't have her on the cover.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 19, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

For Green Arrow, I'm assuming this is for Ollie?

Either Green Lantern/Green Arrow 76
Green Arrow 10, 12, or 15 (all from Volume 3)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Which is the issue where Cyclops gets chumped by a depowered Storm? That's my favorite one.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

purple death ray posted:

Which is the issue where Cyclops gets chumped by a depowered Storm? That's my favorite one.

That's UXM 201

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rhyno posted:

Today I got sucked into a multi-customer discussion/argument about Gwenpool and Spider-Gwen and how they are or are not the same person.

Context, because the context is awesome: Gwen has run into Deadpool but has been thrashing him because it's her book and he's just guest-starring, but when he realizes that Gwen's a fouth-wall breaker too he starts fighting her on a purely meta level and kicking her rear end with literal popularity power. Unbelievable Gwenpool does a lot of really fun stuff with its premise.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
She isnt gwen stacy?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's cheap reprints of Uncanny #1 available also
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncanny-X-men-1-Marvel-Milestone-Edition-Reprint-Wow-Key-VF-/401345820705?hash=item5d72133821:g:89UAAOSwLsBZPpWh

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

purple death ray posted:

Didn't he throw that so he could go with Maddie and then be a deadbeat Dad?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

got any sevens posted:

She isnt gwen stacy?
Nope! Gwen Poole; when she went to get a costume she told the guy her name and he made the obvious assumption.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
She started as a joke about Spider-Gwen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

She started as a joke about Spider-Gwen.

She started as a variant cover theme month, I think?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Aphrodite posted:

She started as a variant cover theme month, I think?

Based off the runaway success of Spider-Gwen, yes. Then she got a one-shot, then she got an ongoing.

Until a week ago I had no idea she wasn't just another Gwen Stacy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

But in all seriousness, also check out X-Factor #11, X-Factor #67 and possibly Uncanny #280 for Cyclops.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

And the weird thing is the Gwenpool ongoing is way better than the Spider Gwen one

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Yeah, Spider-Gwen was a huge hit so they did a Gwen month of variant covers, and Gwenpool turned out to be ridiculously popular with cosplayers basically immediately, so Marvel figured they had something there and made an actual Gwenpool ongoing.

I'm actually super interested in cosplay becoming an emerging force in the fandom, we've gone from stuff like new costumes being designed with ease of cosplay in mind (Batgirl's new costume had explicit notes about it) to entirely new characters being created. It's a heck of a thing.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

What about Kevin Smith's Green Arrow #1, with the close-up cover by Matt Wagner? (I happen to have a copy of this to sell, if you'd be interested.) That way, it could go with all of Ollie's different costumes over the decades.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Aphrodite posted:

Cyclops:

Green Arrow:

Just print them off and get them signed. Better than comic covers!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Is the origin of spideygwen that she got the spidey powers as an std from peter? Because it should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

got any sevens posted:

Is the origin of spideygwen that she got the spidey powers as an std from peter? Because it should be

Wasn't that Silk?

• Locked thread