Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
https://i.imgur.com/2oSMEWm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5BO3Swp.jpg
i'm a brave boy

Maybe I was doing it wrong, but despite having a Chemist, it was weirdly my Geomancer and Knight pulling the weight in random encounters and boss fights, respectively. Chemist buffed them up and gave them tools for success, but wasn't as useful on its own. I was probably missing something obvious. Buffing up to level 99 and hitting the damage cap with the Brave Blade was fun, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Soup du Jour posted:

Give the Monk !Black and the Black Mage HP +30%, now you have two beefy casters.

!Black's not really all that great on a Monk, mostly due to equipment limitations. Monks can't equip rods to boost elemental damage, can't use the Gold Hairpin to halve MP costs, and can't wear any of the mage hats or robes that boost your Magic stat. It can still work, it's just not really optimal, at least in my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Vernatio posted:

https://i.imgur.com/2oSMEWm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5BO3Swp.jpg
i'm a brave boy

Maybe I was doing it wrong, but despite having a Chemist, it was weirdly my Geomancer and Knight pulling the weight in random encounters and boss fights, respectively. Chemist buffed them up and gave them tools for success, but wasn't as useful on its own. I was probably missing something obvious. Buffing up to level 99 and hitting the damage cap with the Brave Blade was fun, though!

The strength of !Mix is its versatility; every job is improved by its use. Ask yourself - as much as the Geomancer and Knight were holding up the team, how much was the Chemist helping them do that?

If Chemist is all you have, though (say you pulled a team utterly unfit for boss crushing - Red Mage, Geomancer, Thief) then you're gonna be getting by on Succubus Kisses and their absurd 255 power.

Basically, though, there is not an instance where a Chemist cannot provide a solution to a problem, unless that problem is "I need to grind turtle shells/dragon fangs".

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a fun thought question: if you could pick a class never to roll again - just you get one permanent exception for your Fiesta account, and after you pick it, it'll never show up in any mode - what would you choose?

For me it's absolutely Geomancer, no matter how handy !Gaia is in early/midgame random encounters. But I could also see a lot of other answers, especially for people biased toward particular mode and run types.

I would be really tempted to choose Dancer, though. Its piss-poor HP and RNG-dependent nature make me irrationally furious even if it has the best sprites in the game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Monk. Boring as gently caress and already pretty iffy in a few W1 fights (Garula, Byblos for examples), let alone the other two worlds.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Monk. Boring as gently caress and already pretty iffy in a few W1 fights (Garula, Byblos for examples), let alone the other two worlds.

Second vote for monk. it's not a good class for fiesta at all.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Red Mage.

If its stats weren't so garbage, I might like it, but even Monk can be made competent with enough level grinding. Red Mages will never be anything more than a Protect/Elixir bot without stapling on abilities from other, better classes.

Nethertribes
Mar 19, 2011

BLOOD
A broken robot, a slain dragon, and a chopped down tree

Never believe Ondore's lies.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KataraniSword posted:

Omega, on the other hand... if you don't have a Bard (Romeo's Ballad), Chemist (!Mix fun), or Beastmaster (!Calm, in GBA only), you're gonna have a bad time. If you don't have a way of dealing piercing damage through innate reflect and 95% evasion, you might as well write it off as actually impossible.
Rapid Fire ignores evasion! There's nothing at all wrong with this plan. No, sir.

Seriously though, my list is Bard, Chemist, Beastmaster, Time Mage (quickleak), Black Mage (reflect 3x Thundaga) and that's it. Are there other relatively easy methods I don't know about?

edit: whoops, left off Mystic Knight (Thundaga, again)

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 19, 2017

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
To put an even finer point on it, is the TC possible with a no750 team.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

30.5 Days posted:

Yes, if you get Beastmaster on the GBA version.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

30.5 Days posted:

No750 has Beastmaster, Mystic Knight and Ranger.

It's very possible, yes.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Any staff-using class can farm up a Power Staff from Black Warlocks in Exdeath's Castle in W2. It exists only to berserk things. Any rod-using class can cycle through the Wonder Wand's spells until they get to Berserk and use it that way. Beastmaster can !Catch Mammons in the screen where Twintania fights you, which release to cast Berserk. You can't target it, though, so you have to get lucky with it bouncing off a sacrificial Reflect Ring holder. Barring that, with enough Coral Rings and Ice Shields you can neutralize a huge part of Shinryu's offense, and raw level-driven HP can get you through the rest to brute force it.

Shinryu is not hard to kill if you know how, it's just a matter of if it's worth the time.

Omega, on the other hand... if you don't have a Bard (Romeo's Ballad), Chemist (!Mix fun), or Beastmaster (!Calm, in GBA only), you're gonna have a bad time. If you don't have a way of dealing piercing damage through innate reflect and 95% evasion, you might as well write it off as actually impossible.

I'll go cycle my wonder-rod then, for Shinryuu. I assume it won't work on Omega?

I have x-fight but no real way to prevent all the statuses he throws at me. I'm currently level 80 and have everyone wearing fire rings for that encounter, but maybe wall rings or hermes shoes would be better? I assume Aegis is still the best shield, since it blocks some statuses.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 19, 2017

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
The journey continues with White Mage team, and let me tell you, thank goodness for early silence. When your sole flail user can only do about 70 damage to Magissa and she drains for about 160, life would be pretty miserable without it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

wizard on a water slide posted:

Here's a fun thought question: if you could pick a class never to roll again - just you get one permanent exception for your Fiesta account, and after you pick it, it'll never show up in any mode - what would you choose?

Probably White Mage honestly. Partly because it trivialises the entire game (and not in a fun way like Blue Mage or Beastmaster) and partly because the trip to the Water Crystal is just so slow.

Koobes posted:

Because I am a goofball who absolutely loves FF12, here's a Bartz naming :toxx: drive for some donations.

Don't listen to Ondores lies! Bartz Basch Lives!

Every completed fiesta with Basch will have me give up $5 to charity.(up to a max of $200)

Black Mage / Berserker / Ninja / Chemist - Definitely one of the strongest team you can get on Berserker Risk.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

Probably White Mage honestly. Partly because it trivialises the entire game (and not in a fun way like Blue Mage or Beastmaster) and partly because the trip to the Water Crystal is just so slow.

Black Mage / Berserker / Ninja / Chemist - Definitely one of the strongest team you can get on Berserker Risk.

This brings us up to 1+9 people fighting the revolution.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

:getin: I'm morally obligated to beat the game this year

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

I'll go cycle my wonder-rod then, for Shinryuu. I assume it won't work on Omega?

I have x-fight but no real way to prevent all the statuses he throws at me. I'm currently level 80 and have everyone wearing fire rings for that encounter, but maybe wall rings or hermes shoes would be better? I assume Aegis is still the best shield, since it blocks some statuses.

The only thing that works on Omega is Stop, and thanks to reflect and sky high m-ev (due to being natively over level 100) the only reliable way to stick it is with Romeo's Ballad. (Or, as stated, the bugged !Calm, which also always hits.) Yes, singing Omega to death was dev-intended.

If you're brute-forcing Omega, Hermes Shoes is always the best choice; Aegis is good for blocking spell counters (such as unlucky Encircles) but Fire Shields could soak Atomic Rays. It ultimately depends on if damage or status is what's messing you up more. If you have hat-wearing classes, consider Lamia Tiaras as a hat; they prevent the Confuse attached to Rocket Punch.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Serene Dragon posted:

Second vote for monk. it's not a good class for fiesta at all.

Yeah, it's definitely Monk. Becomes worthless super quickly, and I seem to get at least one every year.

Chadina
Apr 29, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

I did a run before the fiesta with Mystic Knight, Dragoon, Monk, and Ranger where I got my first ever triple crown at level 40. I seem to recall it was a DPS race + lucky blocks/jumps for Shinryu, but Mystic Knight + Rapid Fire + Hermes shoes just demolished Omega before it could even do much.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Chadina posted:

I did a run before the fiesta with Mystic Knight, Dragoon, Monk, and Ranger where I got my first ever triple crown at level 40. I seem to recall it was a DPS race + lucky blocks/jumps for Shinryu, but Mystic Knight + Rapid Fire + Hermes shoes just demolished Omega before it could even do much.

Yeah, to brute force Omega, all you actually need is:
- ability to pierce its defense (Anything lightning-elemental that isn't bounced by Reflect can do this, even a Trident or a Coral Sword... it's gonna take forever to do it that way though. !Rapidfire also ignores defense, or in the absolute most dire of cases, Katana/Fist criticals or Axe damage variance)
- ability to get past 95% evasion (Stop-locking is best for this, though !Rapidfire, !Jump, and !Throw also work)
- the HP/status resistance to soak the counter abuse (and slight RNG luck to avoid Encircles).

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

So, basically what I'm hearing is, if I don't have a whitemage for berserk, a bard for love song, or a chemist for !Mix shenanigans, Shinryu and Omega aren't really doable with a lot of fiesta team compositions?

http://imgur.com/a/3rDVa I am very there! Gazing wistfully into the void and contemplating the nature of the abyss.

I have 51 consecutive Triple Crown fiesta runs, and all but 3 have been chaos (so repeats possible). Several of those were painful (Red Mage as your damage source without locking Omega down ugh) and there are certainly parties that can't kill Omega in particular, but insanity goes a long way.

What's your party Focacc?

derra fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 19, 2017

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Rapid Fire ignores evasion! There's nothing at all wrong with this plan. No, sir.

Seriously though, my list is Bard, Chemist, Beastmaster, Time Mage (quickleak), Black Mage (reflect 3x Thundaga) and that's it. Are there other relatively easy methods I don't know about?

In theory, Ninja+any class that can equip a dual-wield compatible weapon that gets past Omega's defenses can get it done. I don't know if it's documented in any guides, but during last year's fiesta I discovered that if you attack with two weapons and the second weapon does no damage, you avoid triggering Omega's counter script, although I'm not sure if this still works if the second attack misses, and obviously, Omega isn't Stopped, so you still have to deal with the rest of his script. Off the top of my head, the classes that can do this are: Knight, Blue Mage, Red Mage, Mystic Knight (coral sword); Dragoon (trident); Berserker (axes); and Dancer (chicken dance). Also any rod using class I guess, but most of them have better ways of dealing with Omega anyway. In practice, though, I think the only way to do this while also bypassing Omega's evasion is chicken dancing.

Fake edit: Wait, poo poo, can you dual wield bells? If so, Geomancer+Ninja should actually make for a fairly painless Omega kill. Bells have the song attribute, aka the reason Bards can always land Stop on Omega, and the Rune Chime a) uses the damage formula for axes and b) has just enough attack power that you can actually deal damage as long as the swinginess factor doesn't bite you in the rear end. Surprise, Geomancers are Good (in this super niche use case).

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Bufuman posted:

Yeah, Gilgamesh 1 is vulnerable to a surprising amount of things (almost certainly because the devs didn't want you to be screwed if Galuf had all your weak link classes). My personal favorite is still Mini.

My favorite is Gravity. He has a lot of HP so that you don't kill him before his flee script kicks in. Gravity (and other percentile stuff) one shots him.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

And run #1 done. This was never dying and hoping to do decent damage until the very end when I actually had ways to do consistent damage. Death sickle procs saved my rear end a lot. Not gonna bother with omega tbh.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Sooo... my run that I submitted Victory for almost 24 hours ago is still awaiting verification. There are people more recent than me who have been verified. Is there a problem? Do I need to try again? Do I need to stop worrying about it?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

When is the first time you can buy hi-potions? Not having any healing except for regular ol' potions and elixirs is such a pain, 50 hp at a time ain't cutting it.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

When is the first time you can buy hi-potions? Not having any healing except for regular ol' potions and elixirs is such a pain, 50 hp at a time ain't cutting it.

World 2.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I tell ya when I rolled a Berserker I was worried, but it honestly wasn't that bad. I would sure prefer to have that person be controlled but only occasionally did I run into any real trouble. It was my first time rolling a Zerk but I won.

I don't think I've had a bad team yet on Fiesta. I can't remember what my team was in 2014 but I quit that one because of life stuff.

As for the triple crown, I don't think I'll do it. I'm pretty burnt out on Fiesta.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Is this a screenshot resizing problem or did you actually play through the whole game like that

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Alright, first run down. Another Basch victory.

Also the first time I've had someone dead at the end of NED. I really like the ending changes.

And even though I couldn't use it...

bad seafood posted:

Calling all Captains Courageous!

This year, like every year, I plan on using the Chicken Knife like the dirty little coward I am. But you know what? I think you can do better!

For everyone who completes their run with a fully functioning Brave Blade either equipped or in their inventory (which is to say, a Brave Blade at full power; no running), I will donate $5 to Child's Play, up to a total of $150. For proof, all I ask is a screenshot of your party, standing before Exdeath in the Rift, with another screenshot of your untarnished Brave Blade boasting 150 attack power.

No running for me, although I came close to breaking point in that last bit of the rift. Those enemies are pretty dire with two berserkers.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Is this a screenshot resizing problem or did you actually play through the whole game like that

More a "bad screenshot timing" problem. The zoom-outs at the end have some really wonky scaling.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

No the GBA version stretches out the hero graphics at the end for some reason

Edit: I think this is a fair time to point out that mGBA only saves one screen capture at a time. Every time you use the screenshot command, it rewrites the old one. Otherwise I would have taken the shot at the end of the final battle-- 'tis proper!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

DoubleCakes posted:

Edit: I think this is a fair time to point out that mGBA only saves one screen capture at a time. Every time you use the screenshot command, it rewrites the old one. Otherwise I would have taken the shot at the end of the final battle-- 'tis proper!

Not for me :shrug: but I'm not on the latest version.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

DoubleCakes posted:

I tell ya when I rolled a Berserker I was worried, but it honestly wasn't that bad.
Death Sickle everyday.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/ff5forfutures/status/876953303434674176

This is a pretty important change I think.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That's $10 from me.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Geomancer is awful

I guess Gilgabot heard me.

"popular"

rundxdi
Feb 3, 2004

Soup Of The Day

derra posted:

Make sure to get the Main Gauche, but Haste, Slow, Regen and the Healing Staff will see you through pretty trivially.

Yeah, you were right. I didn't realize quite how much turn disparity I would have between haste and slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh gently caress I completely missed the run! I got Time Mage for my first job.

Edit: I think I'm going to try and play the lovely PS1 version on my Vita. Because why not.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 20, 2017

• Locked thread