Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Yeah, at least we are comforted by the fact that he died on the same arbitrary patch of dirt occupied by his parents after being imprisoned for stealing a sheet of paper. That makes things way more tolerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

Jesus Christ. He tried to do everything right. He didn't succeed every time, and he hosed up sometimes (a lot?) with some huge blindspots, but you could tell he tried and he cared.

4%.

Being black in America.

While I agree that being black in America is terrible, that comparison is misleading. A president's popularity tends to increase over time after they leave office. Chances are that Obama's popularity will increase substantially over the next 8 years.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

During what conversation? What'd he say?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

An inmate died after being locked in a scalding shower for two hours. His guards won’t be charged.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Trabisnikof posted:

Voter disenfranchisement is still an option.

It won them multiple states, and possibly the WH, in the 2016 election. It's only going to continue to get worse. If/when Kennedy decides that the evidence he previously asked for isn't good enough it'll further bolster voter suppression from the right.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

lol at Louise Mensch in the comments

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

nachos posted:

ftfy

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TheMadMilkman posted:

While I agree that being black in America is terrible, that comparison is misleading. A president's popularity tends to increase over time after they leave office. Chances are that Obama's popularity will increase substantially over the next 8 years.

But 59% for Bush?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

LaserShark posted:

That's... that's some Axis of Evil poo poo right there. Am I wrong here? US and Russia building reactors for the Saudis, who then give the Russians guns? That's getting back into Bad Spy Novel territory.

I mean, if by "bad spy novel" you mean "pretty much on par with Iran Contra" then sure.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Ague Proof posted:

But 59% for Bush?

Being "not Trump" in 2017 is a helluva popularity boost probably

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

But 59% for Bush?

I've heard many of my very left-leaning friends describe Bush as dumb but charming in the wake of the Trump presidency. People forgot what an unmitigated disaster Dubya's presidency was.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

We'll all be eating crow when it turns out Flynn is the good guy and has been playing the long game to take down Trump :obama:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Burt Buckle posted:

I've heard many of my very left-leaning friends describe Bush as dumb but charming in the wake of the Trump presidency. People forgot what an unmitigated disaster Dubya's presidency was.

It shows that people are stupid and have short memories. And that American democracy isn't on solid footing.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

my bony fealty posted:

We'll all be eating crow when it turns out Flynn is the good guy and has been playing the long game to take down Trump :obama:

"Yeah! Lock her up!" He shouted, forcing an uneasy, awkward smile onto his face. He waved his hand through the air jerkily, not quite above his head.

"Forgive me, Hillary," he thought, fighting back tears. "It's what has to be done."

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Burt Buckle posted:

When in office, he's judged by how he responded to crisis, how he pushed for the Iraq War, and how he had guys like John Bolton, Dick Cheney, and John Ashcroft at his side.

When he's retired, he's just a guy painting his feet and shying away from limelight.

Lots easier to not hate the second guy than the first.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Obama didn't send Seal Team Six to storm the beaches of North Korea to save kid from his own hubris, Lock Him Up.

Unrelated, hate speech is officially free speech.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.ebd31dbf0c38

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

nachos posted:

Is Louise Mensch accurate or is she left-wing infowars

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

He also paints cats and called Trump's speech "some weird poo poo." If i was taking a phone poll that asked me if I had a favorable opinion of GWB right now I'd probably say yes. That doesn't mean I approved of his presidency. Favorable and approval are different.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

Well she sometimes gets things right, but that isn't saying much.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Until Trump kills more people than the Iraq War he's still a better president than Dubya. A lot of people (especially centrist dems) don't really count Iraq against him though because they supported the war. To them it was just bad intelligence. Oops.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

She's a Tory. She just hates Trump + crazy (but maybe has OK sources for some stuff?)

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

mcmagic posted:

It shows that people are stupid and have short memories. And that American democracy isn't on solid footing.

Nah. It shows how far we've fallen.

Bush was a nightmare. Trump is the endgame. Not surprised people are looking back on Bush fondly.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Mensch has also claimed to have sources on the Supreme Court, iirc.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Until Trump kills more people than the Iraq War he's still a better president than Dubya. A lot of people (especially centrist dems) don't really count Iraq against him though because they supported the war. To them it was just bad intelligence. Oops.

I think "better president" is a really hard metric to use. Trump is such a weird loving president inasmuch as he doesn't know what the Presidency actally is. It's hard for him to be better or worse than most other presidents because he's not playing the same role as they did.

I guess the fact he's worse AT presidenting makes him the better president over GWB, because he's too incompetent to enact his own agenda. I'd argue if he can actually get the AHCA passed through and signed that'd make him worse than GWB because it'll certainly kill more Americans in the long run than GWB did.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

OctaMurk posted:

She's a Tory, so she isn't really left-wing anything. Also she's literally a conspiracy nut at this point. Lots of Democrats started buying into her poo poo during the election, though, and here we are.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Mensch is "right" occasionally in the sense that her conspiracy theories are marbled with plausible guesses. People were talking about the possibility of Flynn cooperating as early as March. Now she'll be furiously waving this flag as though it proves all of her double secret FISA impeachment President Hatch bullshit.

There's basically no reason to read her unless you want to be endlessly disappointed.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ague Proof posted:

But 59% for Bush?

When you're on fire having someone punch you in the face seems better.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Obama didn't send Seal Team Six to storm the beaches of North Korea to save kid from his own hubris, Lock Him Up.

Unrelated, hate speech is officially free speech.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.ebd31dbf0c38

An uncouth and edge-lordy trademark is not hate speech and it's disengenous to suggest it is. SCOTUS is right that the government shouldn't ban it...but you also shouldn't do it because it makes you a jackass.

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 19, 2017

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Elotana posted:

Mensch is "right" occasionally in the sense that her conspiracy theories are marbled with plausible guesses. People were talking about the possibility of Flynn cooperating as early as March. Now she'll be furiously waving this flag as though it proves all of her double secret FISA impeachment President Hatch bullshit.

There's basically no reason to read her unless you want to be endlessly disappointed.

But

i want to believe

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Do you discount all of the lives he lost against all of the lives he saved with PEPFAR?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Here's a better comparison between GWB and Trump.
Bush

Trump

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I don't pay attention to Louise Mensch and I've been under the assumption for months that Flynn was a cooperating witness

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Burt Buckle posted:

I would still travel to North Korea.

why

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Burt Buckle posted:

Can you really be the worst president if you are too stupid to even have a coherent evil agenda to try to put in place, and you constantly shoot yourself in the foot because you're a psychological catastrophe with zero impulse control?

Bush had the basic political skills needed to get his lovely forever war agenda pushed through pretty efficiently until maybe 2006. Nixon was crazy as gently caress but also super devious and successfully did a lot of awful poo poo before Watergate caught up to him. Trump is just a gigantic idiot who fell rear end-backwards into the office and is flailing around at random now as his approval continues to plumb new depths every week.

I think Trump is the worst president in living memory just in terms of being just completely loving worthless as a human being though. If he falls short of W on body count it won't be for lack of innate terribleness.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Burt Buckle posted:

Isn't that how we won his two terms?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea Orange is the New Black was ripping that from the headlines.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Burt Buckle posted:

That's the problem with a form of government that invests a lot of authority into a single individual. A weak president is a vehicle for all those riding behind him. Trump seems to have picked up a complete clown car full.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Even looking back at the things that he did that made me livid in the past, I can't work up the same level of anger as eight years ago. Even knowing that a lot of our current domestic and global problems are an end result of the things he did, I just think of a guy who painted himself naked in the bathtub. That might be because his reputation was trashed to the point where eight years later Republicans wanted nothing to do with him, but there's not a lot of harm that he's doing now in this minute. In the meantime, the Republicans have gone off the deep end and people wish for the "compassionate conservative" that was elected into office 16 years ago. I mean really, aside from the war crimes, spying, attempting to rein in free speech, and total economic collapse, was he really that bad of a guy?

In eight years, Obama will be seen as some kind of angelic figure.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

the black husserl posted:

Nah. It shows how far we've fallen.

Bush was a nightmare. Trump is the endgame. Not surprised people are looking back on Bush fondly.

This is why I often stop and ask myself who is going to be the monster who gets people saying "you know, Trump wasn't that bad in comparison..."

Because it's coming. Believe me.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

sean10mm posted:

Can you really be the worst president if you are too stupid to even have a coherent evil agenda to try to put in place, and you constantly shoot yourself in the foot because you're a psychological catastrophe with zero impulse control?

Bush had the basic political skills needed to get his lovely forever war agenda pushed through pretty efficiently until maybe 2006. Nixon was crazy as gently caress but also super devious and successfully did a lot of awful poo poo before Watergate caught up to him. Trump is just a gigantic idiot who fell rear end-backwards into the office and is flailing around at random now as his approval continues to plumb new depths every week.

I think Trump is the worst president in living memory just in terms of being just completely loving worthless as a human being though. If he falls short of W on body count it won't be for lack of innate terribleness.

it depends on what kind of crises unfold on trump's watch. buchanan is widely regarded as the worst president because he completely failed to defuse the american civil war like his predecessors had done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Elotana posted:

I've been keeping her and Claude Taylor at arm's length for several months now, and it seems clear to me that both of them have one useful source of inside info/leaks, and probably dozens of unreliable sources & broke-brains -- and they simply can't tell the difference or curate their information properly.

So I've been using them as one might use an unreliable witness in an investigation. Worth at least keeping in mind, maybe a cursory look into what they say, but nobody's getting a warrant based on their word.

• Locked thread