Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

D1E posted:

I want them to prove this first, and if it's real put it on the market.

If they can sell it for under $1,000 I would buy that day one.

From the article:

quote:

Varjo’s first product is a high-end, enterprise headset—intended to help companies with a need for precision to build, collaborate, and refine in an optimal setting. The product will go into beta in the coming months in prep for official shipping in late Q4 of this year. The first headset has not been designed with the kind of compromises that come with creating a consumer headset.

So yes on real product coming to market, no on under $1,000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
For comparison, that's 8 and a half 4K displays' worth of pixels. I'd love to know the diagonal size/pixel density of the panel inside their headset, or what kind of cable they plan to use.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

haveblue posted:

For comparison, that's 8 and a half 4K displays' worth of pixels.

So four 4k per eye, aka 16k per eye, I think that lines up with what Abrash said would be the limit of human vision.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

This is the kind of technology that would apply well to an arcade setting, where you can justify more expensive equipment than the typical home consumer.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Anyone know a good fix for getting cross-eyed when objects move close to my face? Is it an issue with my eye width?

It's the only thing that can make me nauseous at this point, if the object stays close to me. I have to physically cross my eyes or shut one to get around it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I don't think that's something you can fix yourself, I've noticed the same thing and I think it's just not handled well by the software

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

CapnBry posted:

There needs to be a button in Soundboxing that tells the beatmapper "kill urself". How many songs do I have to do where the author just air drums, but they don't know anything about drums so it is just wild flailing. The essence of a rhythm game is to, you know, have a rhythm, and not make every segment a random collection of whatever you thought was cool at the moment. Maybe they should make it that you can't submit a beatmap unless you can personally score more than 95% on it? That would make it so people can't post random movements.

How do I follow you guys with good taste so this can never happen again? The Pointer Sisters "I'm So Excited" is real good if people like 80s music, which I do doodelly do.

I don't know if I have good taste but I did do a few beatmaps for Hall and Oats because no one else had.

https://www.soundboxing.co/user/steam/76561197961422532

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

CapnBry posted:

There needs to be a button in Soundboxing that tells the beatmapper "kill urself". How many songs do I have to do where the author just air drums, but they don't know anything about drums so it is just wild flailing. The essence of a rhythm game is to, you know, have a rhythm, and not make every segment a random collection of whatever you thought was cool at the moment. Maybe they should make it that you can't submit a beatmap unless you can personally score more than 95% on it? That would make it so people can't post random movements.

How do I follow you guys with good taste so this can never happen again? The Pointer Sisters "I'm So Excited" is real good if people like 80s music, which I do doodelly do.

I have bad taste in the music I beatmap but I do take requests.
https://www.soundboxing.co/user/steam/76561198077720967/challenges

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUzpRSuO8wo

I'm so in love with this because I'm in awe of being able to save a space forever, and come back and visit it again if it blows over, burns down, or is halfway around the planet. 360 photos are nice and that was my initial interest because i saw Pi Mu Rho posting about using photogrammetry themselves, but its such a dull, ugly, and flat experience that can't come close to having the actual space captured.

This is very impressive work. So impressive that if you were so inclined, you could turn this skill into a fairly lucrative job. I work for a creative agency and lately we've had more than a few projects where we paid people big $$$ to recreate spaces in VR.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wonder if photogrammetry has a future in game development at some point? Seems like it could have lots of interesting applications.

How does the 3D effect fare once it's all done?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

??? game developers have been using photogrammetry for years now

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I wonder if photogrammetry has a future in game development at some point? Seems like it could have lots of interesting applications.

How does the 3D effect fare once it's all done?
Its already used a ton on a smaller scale, a lot of the scenery in The Vanishing of Ethan Carter was photogrammetric for instance. The 3D effect is perfect because the end result is just a 3D model with a nice texture that works like any other 3D model, its not like 360 video trash.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Interesting. I didn't know that. Ethan Carter would be dope in Vr.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Photo-sourced textures are widespread but I don't know if I'd call photogrammetry widespread yet. There are too many games that take place in fantastical or non-contemporary settings you couldn't go out and photograph anyway, and if you aren't a walking simulator like Ethan Carter you're probably going to want strong control and hand tweaking for layouts, routes, building structures, etc.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CapnBry posted:

check the soundboxing thread and add goons. browse their favourites and created tracks. look for more tracks by people you like.

right now I've been mostly doing this guy's tracks. they're all great, really get you into the song and are decently difficult without being overly random or spastic.
this song is fuckign SO MUCH FUN

https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/edd29029-19cb-11e7-8f6d-0a580a20010f

and heres the rest of his tracks

https://www.soundboxing.co/user/steam/76561198376820898

think I'm gonna add this guy on steam just so I can tell him how much I like his poo poo.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Wish you could fine-tune beats by grabbing them and moving them while in edit mode. It seems like such an obvious addition that creation is annoying as all hell. I'm just not good enough to 100% it from start to finish in the moment, I really want to do it section by section, stop, think, and adjust.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

veni veni veni posted:

Interesting. I didn't know that. Ethan Carter would be dope in Vr.

It's available in VR. It's okay, but it is gamepad only.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

The Walrus posted:

check the soundboxing thread and add goons. browse their favourites and created tracks. look for more tracks by people you like.
Oh snap that's right I forgot we had a soundboxing thread, I'll head over there. Thanks to stick100 and 8one6 too, I'll follow you guys. Unfortunately I can't play any more today because I just took a shower and 30 minutes of that game has me drenched in sweat. I get into it like a Japanese girl on a Dance Dance Revolution machine... that you also punch. The machine, not the girl.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

the black husserl posted:

This is very impressive work. So impressive that if you were so inclined, you could turn this skill into a fairly lucrative job. I work for a creative agency and lately we've had more than a few projects where we paid people big $$$ to recreate spaces in VR.

Really? I find that very interesting, I wouldn't have thought theres any marketable potential for this, can I ask what exactly your agency needed something like that for?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Thumper at a all time low price on rift today. 100% worth if you're into rhythm action, it's super intense.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

Really? I find that very interesting, I wouldn't have thought theres any marketable potential for this, can I ask what exactly your agency needed something like that for?

For sure. We painstakingly recreated a famous musician's 1970s-era recording studio (in physical space**), and invited people to walk through it. We wanted to let people around the world experience the walkthrough, so we hired a team to recreate it in VR. IMHO, their work (despite costing us big $$$) was of worse quality than the video you posted. It was still judged a total success and the client loved it.

Sky is the limit on the commercial potential. A big problem with marketing in 2017 is that everyone wants cool "experiences", but those experiences are limited to a tiny amount of your overall audience, since you're restricted by how many people can actually fit in the physical space. With VR and photogrammetry, any "activation" (whether it's a Kanye West pop-up art show or a new exhibit at the Holocaust Museum) can be experienced by the entire world.

The public might be sour on VR but brands loving LOVE this poo poo. It's why I'm very bullish on the overall future, cause they got the money to make it happen.

**Can't believe I have to type this, but specifying whether or not something is "in" meatspace or VR is going to become a Thing.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 19, 2017

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

For sure. We painstakingly recreated a famous musician's 1970s-era recording studio (in physical space**), and invited people to walk through it. We wanted to let people around the world experience the walkthrough, so we hired a team to recreate it in VR. IMHO, their work (despite costing us big $$$) was of worse quality than the video you posted. It was still judged a total success and the client loved it.

Sky is the limit on the commercial potential. A big problem with marketing in 2017 is that everyone wants cool "experiences", but those experiences are limited to a tiny amount of your overall audience, since you're restricted by how many people can actually fit in the physical space. With VR and photogrammetry, any "activation" (whether it's a Kanye West pop-up art show or a new exhibit at the Holocaust Museum) can be experienced by the entire world.

The public might be sour on VR but brands loving LOVE this poo poo. It's why I'm very bullish on the overall future, cause they got the money to make it happen.

**Can't believe I have to type this, but specifying whether or not something is "in" meatspace or VR is going to become a Thing.

poo poo, man, this is your chance to become the VR Documentary Guy. Go for it!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So can you incorporate dynamic lighting into this stuff or is it always going to be static? I'm guessing there isn't one simple answer to this though lol.Also, are things reduced to different 3D objects or is it essentially one big 3D sculpture? Sorry for all the questions I just think it's super cool. I'd totally get into it if I had the money for the hardware/software.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 20, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Huh, thats pretty cool. I think my example looks better in videos though than in person (or er, in vr i guess), as all the imperfections really stand out and are visible. Still, I might have to look into that even though I'm a pretty rank amateur, thanks.

veni veni veni posted:

So can you incorporate dynamic lighting into this stuff or is it always going to be static? I'm guessing there isn't one simple answer to this though lol.Also, are things reduced to different 3D objects or is it essentially one big 3D sculpture? Sorry for all the questions I just think it's super cool. I'd totally get into it if I had the money for the hardware/software.

In my case its all baked in, static and one giant model. By default though it is dynamic whenever I bring it into an engine, and I have to go out of my way to make everything unlit and remove any of the shaders and tone stuff it does, but it looks awful when artificially lit. However there are methods of capturing the light at the time of the photos and using that to remove the details and have them dynamically lit, you can see here an explanation here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clakekAHQx0&t=900s
and then if you go to 17:30 roughly you can see some examples of photgrammetry assets with dynamic lighting. Its really really impressive stuff, and far beyond my capabilities.

EDIT: god drat it... lol I went into unreal to grab you a quick screenshot of how it looked with non baked in lighting:

if you look at the material that makes up the dart board and surrounding area you can see how polygonal and bad it looks compared to the unlit part below it. However in doing that I also accidentally found out how to have the dynamic lighting without the polygonal geometric weird look like you can see on the door and that material. So... well gently caress, I guess you could do a better job lighting a photogrammetry scene than I though, though you're still going to have the issue that all the shadows in the scene are baked into the texture so it will still look off unless you do what epic did but... poo poo.

God drat it now I want to try the outdoor of the cabin make it look like night time and put an artificial fire flickering in the firepit to see how that would look.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 20, 2017

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

Dang, I bought The Unspoken a week before the sale started. Hopefully with an influx of new players I can finally win a match now.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Climbing? It looks neat, but even with the sale I'm on the fence.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Count Mippipopolous posted:

Dang, I bought The Unspoken a week before the sale started. Hopefully with an influx of new players I can finally win a match now.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Climbing? It looks neat, but even with the sale I'm on the fence.

Do you mean 'The Climb'? I really enjoyed it, the scenery and ambiance was top notch, absolutely beautiful. The mechanics, I mean the mechanics were good but its hard to comment on them because its literally just reaching around and grabbing things and pulling yourself around so it would be weird if it didn't work for some reason :P. The harder difficulties can be almost like a puzzle at times figuring out where to go, theres a bunch of alternate routes so its not necessarily the same thing twice, theres neat things to explore, easter eggs and stuff. I bought it when it wasn't on sale when it first came out and I feel i've gotten my money's worth out of it, but its hard to say if someone else will feel the same even at its sale price.

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

Ahhh, thanks, that's about what I figured. It looks gorgeous, but I've already bought a bunch of stuff lately and $25 bucks isn't nothing.

I have been wondering about asymmetric, local multiplayer games, though. I found this list on reddit, but the only one I've tried out is Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes (which my friends and I have loved). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Tom Guycot posted:

EDIT: god drat it... lol I went into unreal to grab you a quick screenshot of how it looked with non baked in lighting:

I don't know unreal or if this makes sense, but is there some way to add lights that match the RL ones, then invert them to add darkness, capture textures, then add the lights in unreal so that it counterbalances back to neutral rather than adding unreal lights into a lit room? The neutral could give you more versatility in lighting placement.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
FWIW, if you like Climbey and similar games you definitely owe it to yourself to try rock climbing or bouldering in real life. It's a really similar deal, with a specific puzzle you have to work out for each route, especially for Bouldering where you literally call routes "problems".

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Fusion Restaurant posted:

FWIW, if you like Climbey and similar games you definitely owe it to yourself to try rock climbing or bouldering in real life. It's a really similar deal, with a specific puzzle you have to work out for each route, especially for Bouldering where you literally call routes "problems".

Yes but then I have to exercise.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I play VR games so that I can pretend that I'm outside without actually going outside

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

homeless snail posted:

I play VR games so that I can pretend that I'm outside without actually going outside

I played The Climb today and then I took a nap and I had a dream that took place in the environment I was The Climbing in

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Or do roped climbing or you might end up like me, landing badly after topping out and doing 6 months of rehab :/

I don't know a single boulderer who is uninjured.

FWIW, I enjoyed climbey much much more than the climb.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Bhodi posted:

Or do roped climbing or you might end up like me, landing badly after topping out and doing 6 months of rehab :/

I don't know a single boulderer who is uninjured.

FWIW, I enjoyed climbey much much more than the climb.

I have broken 100% more bones bouldering than doing VR, but if you do bouldering inside it is generally safer!

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Speaking of climbing games, has anyone tried To the Top?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

How long is the summer sale going on for? I'm broke and I don't get paid for another three weeks.

Probably going to be over by then, huh?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Oculus "Sale ends in 15 days".

I think the Steam sale starts on Thursday so it'll probably be over before three weeks are up too.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Wintermutant posted:

If you're having sync issues with the XBone controller, do what I did:

Upgrade your motherboard & processor, and reinstall Windows; it's worked without a hitch ever since then :v:

I've had problems ON a brand new Asus motherboard and i7 6700k CPU. After I did the anniversary upgrade of WIndows 10 the problems stopped, but they surfaced again in the new creators edition windows update.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Torn between occulus rift and playstation vr.

Its a tough choice for me because I have no PC and not even a monitor. I would have to spend $1,500 for the tower, monitor, occulus, and sales tax.

Or just $500 for the playstation VR, or $350-$400 for a used one off craigslist.

Is the technical superiority of the occulus worth $1,100.

Watching a youtube vid of a guy playing Robo Recall and it looks sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

But, my fear of heights. Climbey helps me get over that palm sweating, sole of foot hurting problem. Sort of.