Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

We didn't. GMS did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

inklesspen posted:

http://www.isfarwestoutyet.com/ expires tomorrow (the domain, that is) and since garethman has stopped giving PDF release deadlines that he'll inevitably break, I think I'm gonna let it go. RIP, rat queens lady. You will be missed.

I say, this requires a tribute page to the tribute page to GMS“s lateness. Maybe "Weforgotthatfarwestislate.com" ?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
be the change you wish to see in the world, my guy

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Jedit posted:

We didn't. GMS did.

But I'm trying so hard.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

I dropped out of this one. I like minis and coop games, but the horrible English in the updates and the huge size of the map tiles (I don't think I'd have the table space) made me drop out.

The minis seem to be a good fit for Infinity (somewhere in that 28mm to 32mm spectrum that Infinity minis are in), so a friend and I are thinking about backing. I'm not certain there's enough useful to us to justify it though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

inklesspen posted:

http://www.isfarwestoutyet.com/ expires tomorrow (the domain, that is) and since garethman has stopped giving PDF release deadlines that he'll inevitably break, I think I'm gonna let it go. RIP, rat queens lady. You will be missed.

Kind of sad it won't make it to an even 2,000 days.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chaoticpattern/hand-of-fate-ordeals/description

I'm apparently late to the party finding out about this, because there's only three days left, but have you guys talked about this yet? If so is there a consensus?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Did the Props from Masks of Nyarlanthotep KS ever deliver? If so, is there a place to buy the package online somewhere? I may be about to run the adventure and I'd love to grab one.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
All signs from the kickstarter comments point towards matters being grim. They have stalked the creator enough to determine he purchased a new car however.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

Peas and Rice posted:

Did the Props from Masks of Nyarlanthotep KS ever deliver? If so, is there a place to buy the package online somewhere? I may be about to run the adventure and I'd love to grab one.

It did, and I have one that I wouldn't mind selling if you're interested... PM me, or msg here.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Peas and Rice posted:

Oh man, I'm a sucker for replicas like that, regardless of them actually being part of a game.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

inklesspen posted:

Yeah, I ran it for two years and despite a personal attack from Garethman it's really hard to see the point anymore. He's stopped giving deadlines and his career in elfgaming is ruined, because nobody can hire him as long as Far West isn't out. Best to let it and him be quietly forgotten.

That said, I have my own half-finished western&wuxia game still. I should get back to working on that.

FYI Modiphius have hired Gareth to do stuff for both Conan and Star Trek and there was the typical 'i believe in helping people get back on their feet' defence from the owner of Modiphius. Albeit he's familiar with late kickstarters (18 months), multiple failed promises and having to get legal threats to issue refunds, so they must get on swimmingly.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

yegods posted:

It did, and I have one that I wouldn't mind selling if you're interested... PM me, or msg here.

Rad, PM sent, thank you!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel like Modiphius catches a disproportionate amount of poo poo. Granted he's allergic to deadlines, but his kickstarter bundles offer enough quality & quantity that I don't really care. I mean, the whole point of Kickstarter is that the rewards are compensation for assuming some of the risk.

(I could also have just made this post about Mantic.)

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

moths posted:

I feel like Modiphius catches a disproportionate amount of poo poo. Granted he's allergic to deadlines, but his kickstarter bundles offer enough quality & quantity that I don't really care. I mean, the whole point of Kickstarter is that the rewards are compensation for assuming some of the risk.

(I could also have just made this post about Mantic.)

He's not allergic to deadlines, for Infinity he gave them over and over, and broke them repeatedly. I'm also particuarly hosed off because he tried to ignore uk consumer law and refuse a refund (which he'd been doing to other people who weren't happy). Also, that whole 'assuming some of the risk' is bullshit, all the risk is on the part of the 'backers'. And as far as the UK is concerned, legally it's just a pre-order, it's no different, sure that's harder to deal with for non-UK/EU companies, but if they are then they have to stick to the law. And now Modiphius have gone with 'not a kickstarter honest' by doing everything via pre-order on their website, even for things 1+ years away from release.

They've got some okay writers working for them, but the owner's a dick.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

PST posted:

FYI Modiphius have hired Gareth to do stuff for both Conan and Star Trek and there was the typical 'i believe in helping people get back on their feet' defence from the owner of Modiphius. Albeit he's familiar with late kickstarters (18 months), multiple failed promises and having to get legal threats to issue refunds, so they must get on swimmingly.

IIRC the Conan thing claimed there was a "Garethman is not to work on this until Far West is delivered" clause, which of course means the thing they hired him for will never see the light of day.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just... how do I get to the point of taking money without delivering anything. I'm great at doing nothing! But people at my work are always insisting I do stuff because I'm "reliable". It sucks.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

LordAba posted:

Just... how do I get to the point of taking money without delivering anything. I'm great at doing nothing! But people at my work are always insisting I do stuff because I'm "reliable". It sucks.

Goondolences on having a set of ethical standards.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

LordAba posted:

Just... how do I get to the point of taking money without delivering anything.

Step #1: Become a RPG "professional", whatever the hell that is. Robin Laws is probably the only one. Ask him.

Step #2: Promise the moon (for a monetary deposit). Work hard at your mockups of a moon landing (in the promisees' hands).

Step #3: Explain how they weren't funding to actually get the moon, but they were funding the promise of the moon. Then leave the internet forever.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

LordAba posted:

For a more than reasonable consulting fee my colleague Johnny Walker and I can assist you with this project.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

PST posted:

He's not allergic to deadlines, for Infinity he gave them over and over, and broke them repeatedly. I'm also particuarly hosed off because he tried to ignore uk consumer law and refuse a refund (which he'd been doing to other people who weren't happy). Also, that whole 'assuming some of the risk' is bullshit, all the risk is on the part of the 'backers'.

IIRC the Infinity thing had more to do with CB's iron grip on their IP, insisting to sign off on everything to ensure it fit their fluff.

And there's absolutely risk and consequence to the developers, you only need to look as far as your own view of them to see that. Previously snacks and shortcomings were behind the scenes. Now a high profile failure is everybody's business.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

moths posted:

IIRC the Infinity thing had more to do with CB's iron grip on their IP, insisting to sign off on everything to ensure it fit their fluff.

And there's absolutely risk and consequence to the developers, you only need to look as far as your own view of them to see that. Previously snacks and shortcomings were behind the scenes. Now a high profile failure is everybody's business.

Yeah, Corvus Belli are definitely the main problem with Infinity. I know they even had to rewrite a lot of stuff because it contradicted things that had never been made public knowledge they had no way of knowing.

I think it will ultimately lead to a stronger product in the long run.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Mutant Crawl Classics has just released the PDF copies of its Corebook, character sheet, and Judge's Screen.

That was just a little less than a year from KS to delivery.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

Mutant Crawl Classics has just released the PDF copies of its Corebook, character sheet, and Judge's Screen.

That was just a little less than a year from KS to delivery.
The core book seems a bit ... buggy and incomplete.

For example, do Shamans ever get more wetware 'spells' than the, like, four that are specific to their patron, and only then if they roll 24+ on Patron Bond? How do they learn new ones? Why is there support for Level 5 wetware, but none of it seems to exist?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

drat The Man, Save The Music! looks like it might be cool, if the idea of "Empire Records: The RPG" floats your boat.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I hate to derail the farwest chat, but I decided to back Deep Space D-6. Am I overestimating how fun this will be?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I got my copies of Blades in the Dark yesterday (1 standard edition, 1 special edition) and I'm pretty impressed. The standard edition looks like Evil Hat's usual hardbound quality; the special edition has a cool cover and a ribbon bookmark.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

I hate to derail the farwest chat, but I decided to back Deep Space D-6. Am I overestimating how fun this will be?

Nope. I backed the original and it's a great game. It has a good balance of randomness and resource management.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Nope. I backed the original and it's a great game. It has a good balance of randomness and resource management.

Thank you for enabling me...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

John Wick is doing a 7th Sea themed Diplomacy-like: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/johnwickpresents/7th-sea-war-of-the-cross

But, y'know, with minis and exclusive minis. Seems pretty slow going, but $100 is also a pretty large purchase.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Anyone else in here back Planet Mercenary? Or, for that matter, read Schlock Mercenary?

As someone who ain't gonna get a group together for the thing, I certainly plan to enjoy reading it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is ending in under an hour and fairly cheap. I'm intrigued, can you elaborate?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

This is ending in under an hour and fairly cheap. I'm intrigued, can you elaborate?
Quick & dirty & hopefully good:

not my pic

You have your ship (with different stations), your crew (the dice), and the outside threats (the deck of cards).

Each turn, you play the top card of the Threat deck to the side of the board; the numbers along the side represent that card's current HP. Then you roll all your dice, getting either crew symbols (Engineering, Command, Security, etc.) or the Threat symbol.

Any dice with the Threat symbol go to the track at the top; those dice are locked in and unavailable until either you use a ship ability to remove them, or the track fills up (in which case you get the dice back for your next turn but must play the top card from the deck).

The rest of your dice then get assigned to the various stations, each of which do different things. This is where the resource management comes in; you only have so many dice to spend on attacks, repairs, rerolls, or what have you, so it becomes a situation where you have to balance which threats you can deal with right now and which you'll have to put off for later. On top of that, each station can only take specific roles, so if you don't roll an Engineer you can't repair your shields...unless you have a way to reroll/reface the dice.

Once the crew stuff is done, you roll the d6, and every threat card with that number activates and does what it says. So in the above pic, if I roll a 2, then the Invaders card to the left of the board and the Bounty Ship and Fighter on the right would all activate; I'd have to send one die to the Infirmary (can't get that back without a Science officer rolled), lose all my Shields, and lose two points off my Hull. If I rolled a 4, then only the Invaders and Fighter would activate, and if I rolled a 5 then nothing would activate.

You win if you manage to run out the deck and eliminate all Threats in play. You lose if your Hull reaches 0 (Shields get hit before the Hull, unless a card says othewise).

The physical game is very high quality with a great box and solid components. It comes with four different ships that all play differently, an optional end boss, and plays out in about half an hour/45 minutes.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

silvergoose posted:

Anyone else in here back Planet Mercenary? Or, for that matter, read Schlock Mercenary?

As someone who ain't gonna get a group together for the thing, I certainly plan to enjoy reading it.
I was interested in it too, if only because it was this whole thing that I just seemed to miss for a decade. That, and the game seems genuinely silly and fun.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I have been reading the comic for years - it's a nice mix of hard sf and humor, and holy crap the dudes work ethic is something - zero missed strips or delays in like 15 years, daily comics with punchlines, and lunlike a lot of webcomics the art has come a hell of a long way.

However.

I didn't back the rpg KS because the third-party art was just not particularly attractive - the 'realistic' version of the strip's aliens were nightmare fuel. Also I am a huge anti fan of RPGs using Hilarious Random Cards for their wackiness.

Interested to hear how it plays...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Quick & dirty & hopefully good:

not my pic

You have your ship (with different stations), your crew (the dice), and the outside threats (the deck of cards).

Each turn, you play the top card of the Threat deck to the side of the board; the numbers along the side represent that card's current HP. Then you roll all your dice, getting either crew symbols (Engineering, Command, Security, etc.) or the Threat symbol.

Any dice with the Threat symbol go to the track at the top; those dice are locked in and unavailable until either you use a ship ability to remove them, or the track fills up (in which case you get the dice back for your next turn but must play the top card from the deck).

The rest of your dice then get assigned to the various stations, each of which do different things. This is where the resource management comes in; you only have so many dice to spend on attacks, repairs, rerolls, or what have you, so it becomes a situation where you have to balance which threats you can deal with right now and which you'll have to put off for later. On top of that, each station can only take specific roles, so if you don't roll an Engineer you can't repair your shields...unless you have a way to reroll/reface the dice.

Once the crew stuff is done, you roll the d6, and every threat card with that number activates and does what it says. So in the above pic, if I roll a 2, then the Invaders card to the left of the board and the Bounty Ship and Fighter on the right would all activate; I'd have to send one die to the Infirmary (can't get that back without a Science officer rolled), lose all my Shields, and lose two points off my Hull. If I rolled a 4, then only the Invaders and Fighter would activate, and if I rolled a 5 then nothing would activate.

You win if you manage to run out the deck and eliminate all Threats in play. You lose if your Hull reaches 0 (Shields get hit before the Hull, unless a card says othewise).

The physical game is very high quality with a great box and solid components. It comes with four different ships that all play differently, an optional end boss, and plays out in about half an hour/45 minutes.

That's for the awesome quick/effort, jumped onboard!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I joined in with about 2 minutes to go!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

PST posted:

He's not allergic to deadlines, for Infinity he gave them over and over, and broke them repeatedly. I'm also particuarly hosed off because he tried to ignore uk consumer law and refuse a refund (which he'd been doing to other people who weren't happy). Also, that whole 'assuming some of the risk' is bullshit, all the risk is on the part of the 'backers'. And as far as the UK is concerned, legally it's just a pre-order, it's no different, sure that's harder to deal with for non-UK/EU companies, but if they are then they have to stick to the law. And now Modiphius have gone with 'not a kickstarter honest' by doing everything via pre-order on their website, even for things 1+ years away from release.

They've got some okay writers working for them, but the owner's a dick.

I have never had any trouble with any of the four KSs I backed of theirs. I had a slight problem with one of my Achtung! Cthulhu hardcovers and they had a replacement to me in less than a week.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Did I miss something or did the Delta Green KS not deliver the core book? I know I backed it, but I don't see anything indicating it was delivered yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nystral posted:

Did I miss something or did the Delta Green KS not deliver the core book? I know I backed it, but I don't see anything indicating it was delivered yet.

The Agent's Handbook has been completed. The Case Handler's Book (I believe now just to be called Delta Green) is still being worked on.