Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Shared universe stuff is fine and fun.

It's just off-putting when it makes no sense or feels totally shoehorned in (Wonder Woman taking a break in the climax of the film to watch several individual quicktime files of other movies or The Joker in a story that he has no real connection to).

Hah yeah that's why I said the first and last parts: people will hate it and it is mostly to sell merch

But I just love it, I like the idea that we will see some person for 5 seconds who does matter to the universe and would have something interesting to add to what's happening even if it's not their story. I fully admit this is a personal preference that a ton of people will not share it tho.

I would have loved for example a quick news clip in Iron Man 3 showing how Captain America was also searching for the Mandarin in addition to just Rhodes. Or a cutaway in the Winter Soldier showing how some HYRDA person did something to distract Stark from helping Cap once he was on the run. These things were not necessary and arguably bad fluff but I would have still eaten them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
This is what the guy who posted the pic had to say about the cameo

quote:

A rough cut of Justice League has been shown to a select few including some press ( none of them will say they have seen it until around the films actual release however)

this is the cut that Zack had before he wanted Whedon to come on and finish additional photography so I don't know how much will be cut or just slightly altered.

Those rumors months ago about Leto being around the set of JL were correct he comes back and his design has a slight retcon, he no longer sports a damaged tattoo on his forehead.

His cameo is small, no Harley but he does mention having broken her out of Belle Reve recently ( Margot must have been busy elsewhere) I won't reveal much more but his scene does dive into Robin territory since the death of Robin is actually brought up by Bruce earlier in the film.

I imagine this is all leading to Reeves solo Bat film. Its good connective tissue.

Even the small scene he has in Justice League you can already tell Jared is more menacing when under a different director.

after this small scene I look forward to him even more in a solo Batfleck film.

As usual, no real sources to speak of so take it with a truckload of salt.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sir Kodiak posted:

Buddy, they're still making the drat movie. You don't know what the story is.

He's referring to Suicide Squad

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Sir Kodiak posted:

Buddy, they're still making the drat movie. You don't know what the story is.

We already know the broad plot beats.

- Three motherboxes; one in Atlantis, one with humanity, and one with the Amazons.

- Darkseid sends his general, Steppenwolf, to collect them and prepare for an invasion.

- Steppenwolf leads an army of parademons to assault the three strongholds with the boxes.

- Batman assembles the Justice League.

- Justice League defeats Steppenwolf, but Darkseid is still coming. (And maybe Superman is evil or has amnesia?)

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He's referring to Suicide Squad

Nah. I wasn't crazy about Leto's version of The Joker, but that is different than him having no connection to the story. He did have a narrative role in Suicide Squad and it made sense for him to be in it. Especially since they more or less made it a Harley Quinn movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 19, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think Superman will show up like he did in the comics wearing his black suit and rocking a mullet and everyone will got loving bananas. It will end up as the greatest Superman moment in the history of forever.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nah.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

We already know the broad plot beats.

Yeah, but we don't know why and how they happen, or how those event relate to the characters. The trailer has Jim Gordon talking about Batman working with other people again. We know the Joker was involved in Robin's death, with Batman no longer working with a team. That makes him seem relevant to Batman's story, even if he has no relation to the plot with motherboxes.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

You're right, the ACTUAL greatest Superman moment will be when he hugs his mom after coming back from the dead.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Equeen posted:

You're right, the ACTUAL greatest Superman moment will be when he hugs his mom after coming back from the dead.

"I just don't think there is any joy in these movies. Superman is supposed to be a symbol of hope but nothing like that happens" - most reviewers after seeing this scene

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Equeen posted:

It's when Superman finally starts going around the city in Superman the Motion Picture.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Everything is prepared, Superman's revival is almost complete.

Snyder-esque slow motion zoom and fast pan around Aquaman/whoever opening a chamber. A silhouette can be seen approaching with a familiar gleaming S on the chest area.

As the figure draws closer it becomes apparent that the S is gleaming and shimmery because it's metallic.

Shaquille O'Neal enters the scene.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Equeen posted:

It's balanced out by the heartbreaking scene beforehand when Superman is having a deep discussion with his dead dad on a fishing boat in heaven before he is forced to return to life suddenly.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Electromax posted:

It's balanced out by the heartbreaking scene beforehand when Superman is having a deep discussion with his dead dad on a fishing boat in heaven before he is forced to return to life suddenly.

"What am I supposed to do, NOT come back from the dead and save the world?"

"Maybe."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They need a cameo from Michael Keaton as Hawk Man

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Brief featurette for Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, with some new footage and glimpses behind the scenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CWfrJL-hC0

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Guy A. Person posted:

"I just don't think there is any joy in these movies. Superman is supposed to be a symbol of hope but nothing like that happens" - most reviewers after seeing this scene

"Superman hugging his mom is absolutely perfunctory and feels unearned." --MoviePoopChute.com if Snyder had stayed director

"Superman hugging his mom is the moment where Whedon finally exorcises Snyder's grimdark influence from the DCEU" --MoviePoopChute.com, now

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

"What am I supposed to do, NOT come back from the dead and save the world?"

"Maybe."

thats a valid point tho

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
FYI everyone's favorite Superman comic, All-Star Superman, has Kal-El having an extended dream/spiritual conversation with his dead dad. It's a thing in pretty much all Superman media (including Superman the movie, of course)

Electromax
May 6, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

thats a valid point tho

Justice League post credit scene #3 posted:

*Kevin Costner sits in heaven and watches Superman's victory parade through a hole in the cloud and makes a Marge Simpson hrrrm noise*

*An ominous shadow falls over him from behind*

BEELZEBUB: you're about to wish your son had stayed dead up here...

*Screen goes up in flames*

JUSTICE LEAGUE 2: PARADISE LOST 2030

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Son, the day you crash landed in our cornfield we were on our way to Gotham to see a performance of Diefletor Maus.
We pulled over to check out what had happened, and another man was there, we said we would take care of whatever was happening and asked him to keep it to himself. Gave him our tickets.

That man's name was Joe Chill.

So while we were having our Mardi gras King cake and finding the plastic baby in the middle, Bruce Wayne was becoming an orphan.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I would have gone with Martha's "You don't owe this world anything"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'd actually find it funny if Leto's Joker never actually gets a featured role in a movie and is just constantly used in flashbacks and side stuff. Like, the notion that Joker's just done all this poo poo to Batman to others and there's all this history to the universe that keeps coming back to him.

It would amuse me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Why does The Joker need to be in Justice League?

Love that Joker.

STAC Goat posted:

I'd actually find it funny if Leto's Joker never actually gets a featured role in a movie and is just constantly used in flashbacks and side stuff. Like, the notion that Joker's just done all this poo poo to Batman to others and there's all this history to the universe that keeps coming back to him.

It would amuse me.

It would also tie in with the movie he's actually in, which is so ambiguous about his presence that you're not actually clear if he died some time ago.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

My favorite part about this part was that Lex took the time to make fancy logos for everyone.

I think those logos are actually already part of their costumes. Aquaman's belt buckle, WW's arm bracelet and Flash's chest already had them.

I also like Injustice 2's Joker, which was inspired by Leto but at the same time he kinda looks like that Crispin Glover fancasting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDzTdsL7aOg

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 19, 2017

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Joker has gone up against the Justice League more than once. At one point he was arguably the most evil character in the entire DC Universe. There's a whole arc for example where Joker teams up with Mxysptlk (spelling from memory) and fucks with Superman for a while. There's also more than one story where Joker kills Lois Lane

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Not to mention that time when Hal Jordan was The Soectre (the personification of vengeance and God's right hand man), Joker tricked him and became the Spectre.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Guy A. Person posted:

Christ that is my favorite short story of all time

Report on the Barnhouse Effect is also really loving solid.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Joker has gone up against the Justice League more than once. At one point he was arguably the most evil character in the entire DC Universe. There's a whole arc for example where Joker teams up with Mxysptlk (spelling from memory) and fucks with Superman for a while. There's also more than one story where Joker kills Lois Lane

The entire Injustice storyline is based on what happens if you give the Joker a nuke.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cythereal posted:

The entire Injustice storyline is based on what happens if you give the Joker a nuke.

I hope Justice League incorporates the storyline where the Joker becomes Iran's ambassador to the UN, that seems pretty topical.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

I hope Justice League incorporates the storyline where the Joker becomes Iran's ambassador to the UN, that seems pretty topical.

Now it would be Russia, though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Reeves talks a bit about The Batman

quote:

"Look, I'm just starting Batman because literally, [War for the Planet of the Apes], as I just said, we finished about a week ago and now we're publicizing it," Reeves said. "So, we haven't even begun on Batman. For me, what's always important is to try and find a personal way in. In that way, I do feel like I relate to actors. It's about understanding emotionally, the way something is. I see this parallel between Caesar and Batman, really, which is this idea of these characters who are grappling with their own struggle and trying to do the right thing in an imperfect world and, so, I do really relate it to that kind of idea."

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/06/19/...tm_content=Link

Also, Amy Pascal says Venom and Silver & Black (the Silver Sable and Black Cat film) will tie to Holland's Spiderman and by association, to the MCU

quote:

"Both movies will now take place in the world that we are creating for Peter Parker." Pascal explained. "They'll be adjuncts to it, they may be different locations, but it will still all be in the same world. And they will be connected to each other as well."

When asked if that meant that Peter Parker himself, Tom Holland, would appear in Sony's spinoff films, Pascal offered a pretty optimistic tease.

"There's always a chance. I think one of the things that Kevin has done with Marvel that's so brilliant, is bringing the fans along, and making each movie feel like a chapter in a book. That you have to read that chapter in order to go forward. And I think the investment that fans get to feel in being part of a larger story and understanding what's happening, is something that I know Sony would want to emulate."

http://comicbook.com/movies/2017/06/18/spider-man-homecoming-silver-sable-black-cat-venom-connected/

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Reeves talks a bit about The Batman

Now I want to see a movie where there's a production of Julius Caesar where the role of Caesar is played by a man dressed as Batman, and Bruce Wayne attends a performance.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Now I want to see a movie where there's a production of Julius Caesar where the role of Caesar is played by a man dressed as Batman, and Bruce Wayne attends a performance.

Sounds like an opportunity to introduce Maxi Zeus as a villain. He's a Batman villain who used to be a mob boss before going crazy and becoming a mob boss who thinks he is literally Zeus (as in the Greek god).

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Am I the only one that reads Starship troopers as the federation invading the quarantine zone after sending the mormons as bait in a clear breach of the earth-bugs peace/armistice?

Federation ( greedy for the bug lands) sends the mormons as bait so they can retaliate against the bugs starting a fight the were totally under prepared for.Works the same way the nazis used some flimsy pretext to invade poland taking over polish radios using special ops units and transmited some garbage messages about polish abusing minority germans in poland.In some way Buenos Aires was a false flag.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 20, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well yeah, obviously

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Warner Archive announced that Mask of the Phantasm is hitting Blu-ray next month.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The MSJ posted:

Sounds like an opportunity to introduce Maxi Zeus as a villain. He's a Batman villain who used to be a mob boss before going crazy and becoming a mob boss who thinks he is literally Zeus (as in the Greek god).

The Batman games told me there's a Batman villain that's Batman but his family was killed by a cop instead, so he dresses up in a costume and dedicates his life to defending innocent gangsters from law enforcement. They should do a movie about that and have the climax be Superman deciding which vigilante he finds least obnoxious.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Guy A. Person posted:

Well they write that because he breaks her neck after hugging her, obviously.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"Tell that to your mom's and Zod's snapped necks!" - Batman, Justice League (2017)

"Tell that to your mom's and Luthor's and Zod's snapped necks!" - Batman, The Dark Knight's Revenge (2022)

"Tell that to your mom's and Luthor's and Zod's and Braniac's and Guy Gardner's and..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

The Batman games told me there's a Batman villain that's Batman but his family was killed by a cop instead, so he dresses up in a costume and dedicates his life to defending innocent gangsters from law enforcement. They should do a movie about that and have the climax be Superman deciding which vigilante he finds least obnoxious.

That bolded part is a bit of a contradiction I'd say.

• Locked thread