Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Before I laugh what would Press Secretary->Communications Director be considered? How important is the Communications Director?

In a normal admin, they're in charge of crafting the message and the narrative that the President pushes, which arguably puts them pretty high up in the President's senior staff. But... Trump's Trump, so a Comm Director is pretty worthless unless they happen to be a particularly durable brand of duct tape.

EDIT: Dog tax

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Got me

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
a bullet dodged; a crisis averted

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 20, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Nothus posted:

Sean made it about 6 months. RIP buddy.

I'm genuinely both stunned and impressed the guy managed to hold on this long.

I mean he's a piece of poo poo for trying to sell Trump's policies and actions to the public, but I can't help but give him a single begrudging nod of the head for his sheer bloody-minded tenacity.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

awesmoe posted:

please no, boon, please. please.

poo poo, you edit and I'll edit and we'll forget it ever happened

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mister Adequate posted:

I'm genuinely both stunned and impressed the guy managed to hold on this long.

I mean he's a piece of poo poo for trying to sell Trump's policies and actions to the public, but I can't help but give him a single begrudging nod of the head for his sheer bloody-minded tenacity.

remember back when we were all so young and innocent?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_H_wiI46D8

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
In loving memory of Sean Spicer:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/872168021581803520

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Covok posted:

Turned on CNN, turns out their running ads of Scalise getting pulled out of an ambulance with lines like "The unhinged left is applauding the shooting of Republicans." Yeah, that shooting is definitely going to turn that election R and embolden them to pass the AHCA.

probaly, but wont passing a loving horrific health bill no one wants paint even more targets on their backs. this will gently caress over millions of people and make them desperate and angry, people who have nothing to lose and know exactly who to blame for part of their suffering.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probaly, but wont passing a loving horrific health bill no one wants paint even more targets on their backs. this will gently caress over millions of people and make them desperate and angry, people who have nothing to lose and know exactly who to blame for part of their suffering.

Yeah, the current polling is just based on Trump being an idiot and terrible president. He hasn't even hurt or killed anyone yet. Well, not anyone his base cares about.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

There's also a very real chance it destroys the economy. Healthcare is 1/6th of the economy. It's crazy!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Before I laugh what would Press Secretary->Communications Director be considered? How important is the Communications Director?
Depends. Is this The West Wing?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Boon posted:

I will never forget Spicers first conference, openly yelling at the press that Trumps inaugural crowd was the largest ever. What a day.

I can't remember that, that was before my time. My first Spicer memory was probably in my early teenage years, the "Hitler never gassed his own people" flub, he made that right before Kurt Cobain killed himself...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah, the current polling is just based on Trump being an idiot and terrible president. He hasn't even hurt or killed anyone yet. Well, not anyone his base cares about.

true. i think even crazy liberals/lefties know killing him would be a bad loving idea(beyond the moral stuff) he would end up being a martyr and the GOP would ram through all their worst poo poo "in his honor". my honest guess is there will be more attempted/shootings of congressmen and senators if it passes and is as bad as they say. i am not encouraging it or condoning it but i honestly think it will happen and the GOP is shook as gently caress about it.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 20, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
If the healthcare bill passes and its apocalyptic, what are the chances of undoing it (if dems retake power) before it starts killing people? Normally I wouldn't think about it this much but we're already in politically unpaved territory. I'm sure existing legislature and norms don't allow for it, but those two things have been sorta discredited by the administration already.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Let's hope people at least keep the connection between getting hosed and the republicans loving them. It has historically been difficult to maintain.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

buglord posted:

If the healthcare bill passes and its apocalyptic, what are the chances of undoing it (if dems retake power) before it starts killing people? Normally I wouldn't think about it this much but we're already in politically unpaved territory. I'm sure existing legislature and norms don't allow for it, but those two things have been sorta discredited by the administration already.

possibly, maybe if them dems can sweep everything. it depends if the GOP can still get votes and i am sure they can. but most of the conservatives i know think the bill is awful, even if they dont like obamacare.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

business hammocks posted:

Let's hope people at least keep the connection between getting hosed and the republicans loving them. It has historically been difficult to maintain.

You are talking about a group of people who think women, their daughters, wives, etc., deserve HPV-induced cancer because they had sex once

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Aurubin posted:

What's sad is that, potential for fissile material falling off a cart somewhere aside, building alternative energy sources for the ME is a good idea. But of course who knows if it was on the up and up. My heart tells me gently caress no.

Most of the stuff that Flynn has done, that we know about it, is pretty standard for what ex-military people might do. Its a little unusual to work so closely with Russia, but the Turkey and Saudi Arabia stuff is relatively normal.

The question is why he failed to disclose it. And there was apparently a lot of money involved, not the type of money that slips people's mind.

Like, if he had been paid 1000 dollars to make a speech in Canada, to the Canadian armed forces, that would be a technicality if it wasn't reported. But he seems to have lied about business dealings with at least three countries on a security clearance form. That is easily a felony.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

They can all go get hosed.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

Do you think the flow of time will ever return to normal? Or will the next 3.5/7.5 years take ten thousand years to get through?

I have already aged so much during this time.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Paradoxish posted:

That's all that we were saying, though? I don't think anyone here is jumping for joy that Rick Perry is running the DoE, but he's not as much of a threat as Pruitt, Sessions, or DeVos.

Your post in response to some guy saying Rick Perry is bad for the DoE for denying human driven climate change, was that "actions matter more than words." I'm saying that his actions are also lovely. I don't see any other way to parse your statement, other then as "Rick Perry's actions are good enough to excuse his words" and I couldn't possibly disagree with that any more.

Especially when your post follows this kind of insanity:

OctaMurk posted:

Perry is better for the DOE and America than Tillerson. He apparently has been a pretty hands-off administrator and has focused more on working on behalf of his subordinates and taking their advice seriously, rather than micromanaging them. Honestly, it's probably better to have someone like him in charge of the DOE to lobby for its importance and navigate Congress rather than some physicist.

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive because this affects me personally, but any time someone says Rick Perry isn't so bad, or anything resembling that, I'm going to say something. That dumb rear end got a D in a class called "Meats," called for the Department to be shut down and then admitted that he was totally ignorant of its purpose, and is now responsible for pretty much my entire field's funding. Just because he is going around the country saying "wowie, these guys sure are smart!" doesn't mean he isn't a gently caress wit. He has told us who he is and we should believe him.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

buglord posted:

Depends a lot on what's in it, but of course nobody has the text so everything is just speculation.

Realistically, nothing can be done before 2020. If Republicans can get something into law then I really don't see what Democrats can do to reverse the damage before then. It's possible that the really heinous stuff won't go into effect right away and some states can probably weather Medicaid cuts for a while, but that's about it. Removing pre-existing conditions protections or bringing back lifetime limits will literally kill/bankrupt people, though, and there's probably nothing anyone can do about it for a while. :(

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

MickeyFinn posted:

That dumb rear end got a D in a class called "Meats,"
i want to know more about this

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah what's up with "Meats"

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

MickeyFinn posted:

That dumb rear end got a D in a class called "Meats,"

A D in meats is yet another disturbing similarity between the Republicans and the Tories

^^^ this is the best post I will ever make

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

disjoe posted:

Well he's from Texas, so it may be the art of barbecue.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Petr posted:

A D in meats is yet another disturbing similarity between the Republicans and the Tories

ok yeah that makes up for all your terrible posts before this one

tomorrow's a new day tho

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

disjoe posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.mic.com/articles/amp/162340/future-energy-secretary-rick-perry-got-a-d-in-a-college-class-called-meats

Bet he was all over meat color though.

quote:

The online syllabus for Texas A&M University's contemporary "Meats" course, ANSC 307 Meats, describes it as the integrated study of "the production of meat-type animals and the science and technology of their conversion to human food." Topics include "Meat inspection," "Kosher and halal," "Meat tenderness," "Meat color," while laboratories include "Pork evaluation" and "Ham manufacturing."

lol at this too:

quote:

a D in "Writing for Professional Men."

catspleen fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 20, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Well he's from Texas, so it may be the art of barbecue.

He majored in animal science. It was an agriculture-oriented thing.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Petr posted:

:eyepop:
:bravo:

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

... ham manufacturing?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Starmaker posted:

Do you think the flow of time will ever return to normal? Or will the next 3.5/7.5 years take ten thousand years to get through?

I have already aged so much during this time.

quote:

The Phoney War (French: Drôle de guerre; German: Sitzkrieg) was an eight-month period at the start of World War II, during which there were no major military land operations on the Western Front. It began with the declaration of war by the United Kingdom and France against Nazi Germany on 3 September 1939, following the German invasion of Poland, and ended with the German attack on France and the Low Countries on 10 May 1940.

Even though Poland was overrun in about five weeks in the German Invasion of Poland beginning on 1 September 1939 and Soviet invasion beginning on 17 September 1939, the Western Allies did nothing. War had been declared by each side, but no Western power committed to launching a significant land offensive, notwithstanding the terms of the Anglo-Polish and Franco-Polish military alliances which obliged the United Kingdom and France to assist Poland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoney_War

That's where we are now in the Trump presidency. We're a few months in, no major legislation has happened, no criminal charges filed.

This is the lighthearted, slow-paced, low-pressure phase before anything significant happens. We're still just ramping up.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Reince Priebus burst into Sean Spicer's office, finding it empty. He turned his wild eyes towards Spicer's secretary, who was in the middle of packing her meager possessions into an empty banana box.

"Where is he?" Priebus yelled. He stepped forward and grabbed the secretary by the arms. "Where is he goddammit?"

She didn't answer with words. Instead, her eyes drifted upwards, towards the ceiling.

"No," Reince whispered. "No! No! No!"

He made it through the three checkpoints and three flights of stairs in five minutes flat, no small task considering it was done by a man of his age. As he passed the last secret service detail and approached the blast doors, he knew it was already too late. Because even through six inches of sandwiched steel and titanium, he could hear the engines. The doors rose upwards with a rackety clatter, revealing the emergency launchpad Bannon had built on the roof of the White House. There, the escape pod sat, primed and ready to fire.

Reince ran to the pod, and though it sat on an elevated platform, he could see clearly into one of the porthole windows. There, through glass that could survive the atmosphere of space, the haggard face of Sean Spicer floated like some sort of sickened fish in an aquarium.

"Sean!" Reince yelled over the sirens and steam. "Sean! Sean!"

Inside the cockpit, Spicey felt a cool sense of ease wash over him. It was over. God, finally, it was almost over. He looked over his shoulder, and out the side window. From up here Priebus looked very small. Good. Spicey placed his right hand on the throttle. With his left, he extended his middle finger, and placed it against the glass.

"Liftoff," he whispered.

[Cue 'Mama, I'm Coming Home' by Ozzy Osbourne]

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's where we are now in the Trump presidency. We're a few months in, no major legislation has happened, no criminal charges filed.

This is the lighthearted, slow-paced, low-pressure phase before anything significant happens. We're still just ramping up.

Don't say that. You're scaring me

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Starmaker posted:

... ham manufacturing?

Ham just doesn't create itself you know.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ah yes, when I look at the Trump administration I see a well oiled machine just gearing up to do huge things.

Oh no wait, in fact, the exact opposite.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Starmaker posted:

... ham manufacturing?

There are several different kinds of ham. Most bone in hams are cut from the shoulder of the pig and either cured or smoked.

There are other kinds of ham labeled "fancy ham" or "dinner ham" that take pork from the shoulder, grind it up and then form it into a ham shaped loaf. These are usually salt or sugar cured. This isn't even getting into deli hams (more of the mashed up pork pressed into a shape) or fun things like country ham.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

WampaLord posted:

Ah yes, when I look at the Trump administration I see a well oiled machine just gearing up to do huge things.

Oh no wait, in fact, the exact opposite.

That's not really what I'm saying.

I'm just pointing out that we're still very early days yet. The only thing holding back disaster is the inability of the Republicans to get their poo poo together for three straight seconds, and that level of incompetence will only sustain itself for so long.

Eventually a few things are going to start happening. There's a very strong chance at this point that they're going to actually pass this health care bill and millions of people will lose health insurance and tens of thousands of those people will die.

Even if they don't manage to accomplish anything at all, eventually there's going to be a real crisis -- either domestic or foreign -- and Trump's going to flub the response. So we'll have another Katrina or three, or maybe American and Russian planes will start shooting each other down in Syria.

And even if none of those things happen eventually Mueller's investigation is going to start actually indicting people OR Mueller's investigation is going to be shut down.

Only reasons some combination of those things haven't already happened is that we're still early days yet and we've all been relatively lucky considering,.

We haven't hit a real crisis yet. But it's too much to hope that we won't in the next three years and six months. The subjective stress curve is only going to accelerate from here.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

La Brea Carpet posted:

There are several different kinds of ham. Most bone in hams are cut from the shoulder of the pig and either cured or smoked.

There are other kinds of ham labeled "fancy ham" or "dinner ham" that take pork from the shoulder, grind it up and then form it into a ham shaped loaf. These are usually salt or sugar cured. This isn't even getting into deli hams (more of the mashed up pork pressed into a shape) or fun things like country ham.

I value your insight, and I have learned much. You would have done well in a meats class.

But still, wouldn't that be called ham processing? Manufacturing brings to mind, like... them forming ham out of its composite, inorganic parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

La Brea Carpet posted:

No one could forge a ham like mama.

• Locked thread