Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Regrettable posted:

I just played a good pubbie game? Everyone had mics and were being helpful and trying to accomplish things instead of just running to the nearest person to gently caress them over whenever Jason showed up. It was was weird.

Honestly I feel bad about bitching about my first day's experience and the awful people I encountered because pretty much all the games I've played since have been way better. The worst behavior since then has just been some overly salty people, but most of the quick play games have been good natured and fun. I feel like this is potentially a game where the long term player base will be good once a lot of the gaming chuds move on to the next hot thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Burkion posted:

I want to make a joke here but I also don't want to kick start some stupid, stupid argument in doing so

Thank you because we know what the dumb argument is and I'd rather we just not.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Angela would really just be a "stealth counselor" like people keep suggesting for Pamela. She'd also lose something if she didn't have access to unnecessarily elaborate traps.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Wanderer posted:

Angela would really just be a "stealth counselor" like people keep suggesting for Pamela. She'd also lose something if she didn't have access to unnecessarily elaborate traps.

That's what I was thinking. Take the secret counselor idea and make it Angela. Include the music, the funny kills, all of it. Like... all... of it.

e: omg just do the movie ending where if Angela kills everyone else, the last person alive is being chased by a naked Angela and if the winkie shows up on your screen you lose. No kill necessary. Just seeing the winkie ends the round.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 20, 2017

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Speaking of counselors, as someone who has only seen the first movie, are all the counselors in the game based on movie characters or are they just archetypes? I looked a bunch of the cast info up on IMDB but couldn't find any exact matches so I'm assuming names have been changed to avoid licensing fees (excluding Tommy Jarvis of course).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

DrNutt posted:

Speaking of counselors, as someone who has only seen the first movie, are all the counselors in the game based on movie characters or are they just archetypes? I looked a bunch of the cast info up on IMDB but couldn't find any exact matches so I'm assuming names have been changed to avoid licensing fees (excluding Tommy Jarvis of course).

They're just archetypes.

Except for Tiffany who is the top of one of the part 4 twins attached to the bottom of Terry from part 2.

Also, watch more Jason.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

DrNutt posted:

Honestly I feel bad about bitching about my first day's experience and the awful people I encountered because pretty much all the games I've played since have been way better. The worst behavior since then has just been some overly salty people, but most of the quick play games have been good natured and fun. I feel like this is potentially a game where the long term player base will be good once a lot of the gaming chuds move on to the next hot thing.

This seems to be the game in a nutshell. Good experiences really start to outweigh the bad real quick. I have had friends who maybe had a bad first round, got super sour on the game and sure enough a game or two later they are starting to really enjoy themselves.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

a cock shaped fruit posted:

This seems to be the game in a nutshell. Good experiences really start to outweigh the bad real quick. I have had friends who maybe had a bad first round, got super sour on the game and sure enough a game or two later they are starting to really enjoy themselves.

Played three quick play matches on Steam where four of us stuck out all three matches. On the first round, I got away in the four seater as a passenger and the dude who fixed the battery got pissed and salty because they didn't stop for him and he got murked. He came back as Tommy and survived, and that Jason was loving awful anyway.

Then I got to be Jason, and played as part 3 even though I thought I had switched to 7... And got everybody. Counselors were really good though and I didn't get the last two until the buzzer. Reading the op of this thread was really helpful and I am super patient as Jason and I don't really worry when people get away and talk poo poo anymore.

The third game, I was rummaging for supplies and couldn't find poo poo. I ended up in a cabin with the salty guy from round 1, and all of a sudden the four seater rolls up and says they have room for 1 more. I am closer to the car but I tell him, "go ahead man, I got the last car and you got screwed." He is super thankful and leaves. I hear the Jason music and head down the road on foot, away from the car. All four get away and I am thinking I'm done for, but then someone manages to call the police, and I slowly work my way back to the cops and escape alive. Everyone made it out that round. (It was an abysmal Jason who had a ping that made me think he was on a dialup connection or something).

Then the guy I let have the car spot sends me a steam friend request after the game. A loving totally :unsmith: sequence of rounds if you ask me.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DrNutt posted:

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

They're just archetypes.

Except for Tiffany who is the top of one of the part 4 twins attached to the bottom of Terry from part 2.

Also, watch more Jason.

AJ is pretty much not-Violet as well.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I just had two matches I did not record because they do impact my game a bit. It lags more with the recording. But I'm pretty happy with them. Duster and co wanted to kill an easy Jason, and either through luck or chance I got the part. So I killed sweater girl because she was alone, then I killed Duster because he got over confident, and then I killed Tommy Jarvis because gently caress Tommy Jarvis.

I've played Jason very little, and never Part 8, but I'm pretty happy with that all considered. I really want to practice as Jason more, but there's no real practice with the Goon Squad on your rear end.

Speaking of, the next round was against Voodoo Wolf as Jason, which ended in an impromptu Jason hunt with me as the expendable point man. A role I cherish and love. So I just went balls out machete fighting Voodoo face to face while the others ran in with pot shots. Eventually we got the mask off and the rest was history.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Yardbomb posted:

Got to be spearman Jason, killed Snatch and Shaq Meat, avoided death.

Assuming this is what I think it is, lemme preface this since I was the Shaq Meat in this scenario:

Me and weekly (both as Chad) find both gas and the propeller. We make a break for the boat, where I think either Snatch or someone else goes "Hey the boat's getting away" to Jason. We get shoved into the water. Then I think it was Snatch (as one of the Adams) who hops into the boat as weekly was still in the water. He laughed, but then I was like "Are you sure" and went the direct opposite way the exit was. And then Jason knocks us out of the boat again, with me trying to get back into the driver's position and loving up.

Long story short, we both drown and the boat is now way the gently caress outta reachable distance. And then I became Tommy. Who died later.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Nah, that sounds like a much more competent Jason.

I was the one who caught the like 4 of you at the big house trying to drive out, I grabbed Snatch and managed to get the neck break, then you were next through some kind of goofiness and I mashed out the stabby kill.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

That's what I was thinking. Take the secret counselor idea and make it Angela. Include the music, the funny kills, all of it. Like... all... of it.

e: omg just do the movie ending where if Angela kills everyone else, the last person alive is being chased by a naked Angela and if the winkie shows up on your screen you lose. No kill necessary. Just seeing the winkie ends the round.

While that would be hilarious, I'd actually be down for Sleepaway Camp 2 Angela. Pamella Springsteen probably isn't doing anything. Get her in the game and have her do puns when she kills people. It would be great.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I really like this game. Had some great lobbies with pubs tonight. Some chad role players, and math quiz jason. I feel the game was worth the money.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Yardbomb posted:

Nah, that sounds like a much more competent Jason.

I was the one who caught the like 4 of you at the big house trying to drive out, I grabbed Snatch and managed to get the neck break, then you were next through some kind of goofiness and I mashed out the stabby kill.

Oh wait, I remember. I was trying to take the car and got the stun on you... and then realized you were blocking the driver door.

Even screamed "poo poo THE DOOR'S BLOCKED" or something.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Has there been any word on penalties for leaving after a match starts? I had a couple matches today that started with a full lobby, and all of a sudden I'm into the game and trying to find poo poo, and I hit tab and it's just me and Jason and two other people and no one's been killed. That poo poo's not really fun for anyone.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I'd imagine they're giving that a little time to sort out first, since the game can still choke up often enough for some people it seems.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Yardbomb posted:

I'd imagine they're giving that a little time to sort out first, since the game can still choke up often enough for some people it seems.

Makes sense. Still, the Steam version feels pretty much ready to be out of beta. :can:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Just saw my first Jason kill in the water, was quite more brutal than i was expecting. It also goes to show how far out Jason can hear you if you're swimming, he was by the south exit on Crystal Lake the dude got jumped less than 5 seconds after he started swimming towards the exit.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Just had a great run as Buggzy where I spawned in the northeast corner of Packanack with the 2 seater, a battery and gas. I was able to repair the car because Jason and everyone else was loving around with the 4 seater at the lodge. Someone brings keys and tries to drive us out, crashes, gets murdered. Someone else starts the car, crashes, gets murdered. I start the car, crash and thank god I had a pocket knife. I then spent the next six or seven minutes getting chased by him while the other guys called the cops and I was able to run out. Thank god again he wasn't very good at shifting.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 20, 2017

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I just got shotgunned to death less than ten seconds into a round.

loving chad bullying me ingame now too.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Burkion posted:

MORE GOON GAMES

Here's one where you get caught in a trap. Why would someone put a trap there?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_OTaKVVEh0

Zaffy fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 20, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zaffy posted:

Here's one where you get caught in a trap. Why would someone put a trap there?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_OTaKVVEh0

Wrong one buddy- Thta's the Voodoo Wolf run

Oh I quoted you before you fixed it.

Eh I'm an rear end in a top hat. Consider this my revenge Sargo! WHY INDEED

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Burkion posted:

Wrong one buddy- Thta's the Voodoo Wolf run

Oh I quoted you before you fixed it.

Eh I'm an rear end in a top hat. Consider this my revenge Sargo! WHY INDEED

It felt like a good idea at the time. the other video is still uploading. I have the car hijinks as well.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zaffy posted:

It felt like a good idea at the time. the other video is still uploading. I have the car hijinks as well.

Good man. This is how the game should be seen

Not in Burk Vision and with as little Burk as possible

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

So I just had two matches I did not record because they do impact my game a bit. It lags more with the recording. But I'm pretty happy with them. Duster and co wanted to kill an easy Jason, and either through luck or chance I got the part. So I killed sweater girl because she was alone, then I killed Duster because he got over confident, and then I killed Tommy Jarvis because gently caress Tommy Jarvis.

I've played Jason very little, and never Part 8, but I'm pretty happy with that all considered. I really want to practice as Jason more, but there's no real practice with the Goon Squad on your rear end.

Speaking of, the next round was against Voodoo Wolf as Jason, which ended in an impromptu Jason hunt with me as the expendable point man. A role I cherish and love. So I just went balls out machete fighting Voodoo face to face while the others ran in with pot shots. Eventually we got the mask off and the rest was history.

I recorded the one where you killed sweater girl but did not see you kill her. I heard you grab her and thought she was at the back of the building so I ran out just in time to hear her die. I recorded a lot tonight and I'm still going through them and editing out some of the time between rounds.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

joylessdivision posted:

It seems fairly stable depending on who you play with. I've been fairly lucky with some of the pubbies I've friended having decent connections.

It's fine when I host (unless I get a hard crash, but I doubt that's a connection issue) and I only like to play quickmatches because the amount of groups I've joined that say "RANDOM JASON" and then at the LAST SECOND the host picks themselves to be the big guy is unbelievable and I can't be arsed with that.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I just realized how late it is. I'll post some of that stuff tomorrow.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They missed an opportunity to give the NES Jason Savini's stats and quell some of the anger over that issue.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Talking of "cameo slashers" the killer from Hatchet would be a shoe-in seeing as that was Hodder again. Then I'd say lash Leslie Vernon in there too.

If you've never seen "Behind the Mask" I'd highly recommend it. It's a faux-documentary about "real world" slashers and how the logic of all the supernatural poo poo works behind the scenes.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I guess it's a good thing that our PM's are full within 10 seconds of someone bailing, but it sucks to be the 9th guy doing pubbies all night who can never get into the PM before it's full. Unless you're Jason, being a pubbie Jason is awesome.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

being a pubbie Jason is awesome.

It is but I am having a long run of bad luck with that. I have prefer Jason selected but it's been about 40 rounds since I last played as him. I am guessing it's a true RNG with no weighting and I am just getting unlucky.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Shemp the Stooge posted:

It is but I am having a long run of bad luck with that. I have prefer Jason selected but it's been about 40 rounds since I last played as him. I am guessing it's a true RNG with no weighting and I am just getting unlucky.

Set your preference on the main menu to Jason. If you don't, you will likely have <1/8 chance to roll Jason.

Edit: re-read your post. You must have poo poo luck!

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

MORE GOON GAMES

Part 9. In Which Duster Is Jason (And Burk Is A Hood Ornament)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmyA-9g0Fdk

Part 10. In Which Clayren Makes A Mistake (And Doesn't Recover)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy0RzPw-G10

Part 11. In Which Fakiu Accomplishes Little (And Burk Even Less)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMwL7P_G9A0

Part 12. In Which Duster Doesn't Shoot Burk (But Likely Wanted To)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow7NFFOBQpM

Part 13. In Which Duster Dusts (And Terry Screams)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOXWm9AvETE

Huh, didn't know this ran on a PS2

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Does anyone have an old PC that we can ship to Burk, I cannot even watch those videos.

He's a very nice guy who just wants to play with goons at a double digit framerate.

Please help, god bless.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Also is the NES Jason out right now? Someone needs to provide me valuable info to update the OP, like if he is just a reskin of Jason III or if he has his own strengths / weaknesses.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Also is the NES Jason out right now? Someone needs to provide me valuable info to update the OP, like if he is just a reskin of Jason III or if he has his own strengths / weaknesses.

I think it's coming at 9 AM pacific, so we've got a bit to find out

I'll let you know

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Burkion posted:

I think it's coming at 9 AM pacific, so we've got a bit to find out

I'll let you know

That's like several hours from now. What am I suppose to do here at work until then? WORK?! I don't think so.

I took Friday off for the double EXP.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
GAH! I keep forgetting about timezones. I was expecting to go home in a couple of hours to play with it.

Same goes for the Pamela tapes. You can only find them in public matches on a Friday (apparently) but does that mean Friday where I live (gmt) or Friday where Jason HQ is? (god only knows what time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Drunken Baker posted:

GAH! I keep forgetting about timezones. I was expecting to go home in a couple of hours to play with it.

Same goes for the Pamela tapes. You can only find them in public matches on a Friday (apparently) but does that mean Friday where I live (gmt) or Friday where Jason HQ is? (god only knows what time)

When in doubt, assume PST for Steam Time.

Also, bought the game last night, got in a party with one other goon, got four games in. Gassed the car once, hit Jason a few times, low-grade Chadded (let others fight Jason and repair the car while I hid with the keys, but they all died and never found gas), and had one 3 kill Jason game where I kept smashing the phone box mid-call, lost my mask, choked out Tommy while he was setting a trap, then laughed at the girl who sweatered me. Rolled an epic stamina regen perk first thing, and watched a shotgun shot squarely at Jason's back from directly behind him murder the victim he was holding on the other side.

Good first night.

• Locked thread