Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Just loving lol if you let your colony go without immaculately bleached rice fields

My farms dont do very well for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

enraged_camel posted:

For example I want my animals to be able to hang out freely anywhere on the map, except for the kitchen/fridge.
You can select it a zone and then invert the selection in the zone menu.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I have the best modded sharpshooting turrets and sniper colonists around, but none of that matters when a manhunter pack of 33 chinchillas surprise attacks.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bhodi posted:

You can select it a zone and then invert the selection in the zone menu.

This is helpful to know, thanks!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I'm gonna reinstall this game and play it again thanks to some replies from a few pages back! Thanks!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

Surprise, many of Tynan's ideas about what makes a good game are actually really terrible. On the plus side he's exposed pretty much everything to be overridden by mods :shrug:

I actually kind of like needing janitors and busy work. Having my colonists be slightly dumb feels somewhat realistic, although it goes overboard sometimes. I wish "no hauling" was something that made sense even slightly, like "no hauling heavy objects". Not being willing to lift a finger to bring crops in from the field when your life literally depends on it is a bit much. Same for cleaning, maybe they do a lovely job and won't clean much but at least clean the massive blood pool up off the floor please.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I dunno about you but I would much rather drown in my own vomit and piles of my pet cow's poo poo than wipe it off

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Gadzuko posted:

I actually kind of like needing janitors and busy work. Having my colonists be slightly dumb feels somewhat realistic, although it goes overboard sometimes. I wish "no hauling" was something that made sense even slightly, like "no hauling heavy objects". Not being willing to lift a finger to bring crops in from the field when your life literally depends on it is a bit much. Same for cleaning, maybe they do a lovely job and won't clean much but at least clean the massive blood pool up off the floor please.

Yeah, I can understand someone refusing to do cooking and cleaning because they were part of glitterworld corporate nobility or whatever, but not carrying the god drat berries they harvested back to base? Yeah, pretty silly.

Speaking of hauling, it would be great if the carrying capacity was adjustable. For instance, backpacks as wearable gear that add 10/20/30 lbs to carrying capacity (at the cost of perhaps a small penalty to movement) would rock. It would also give me a way to use all this leather I've got in storage... I found a few mods for this but they haven't been updated since like A12 or A15.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 20, 2017

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Even something like "won't haul" or "won't clean" being changed to "hates hauling"/"hates cleaning" where they'll do it if the labor is enabled but they get a lovely moodlet about it. That way you as a player can decide whether a particular situation warrants the crappy mood or not.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Hunters that won't haul can eat my butthole. Anything that distracts them and welp hope you like your venison lightly rotted. Though I have done things like set no haulers right next to a pile of mined out steel to prioritize building something right next to the storage zone and cancelled the project when they arrive.

Dumb either way.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i have set up a dumping zone for humanoid stranger corpses that encompasses pretty much the entire rim of my map

i kinda like it this way since the corpses stay way out of the way and only require a single haul to deal with, and also it rims my territory in the decayed skeletons of my foes

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Has anyone had trade ships ceasing to pass within comm range after a while? It has been more than 100 days since I've made contact with one. I've made sure the comm console has power.

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.

hailthefish posted:

Even something like "won't haul" or "won't clean" being changed to "hates hauling"/"hates cleaning" where they'll do it if the labor is enabled but they get a lovely moodlet about it. That way you as a player can decide whether a particular situation warrants the crappy mood or not.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=949431734&searchtext=

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Thank you. My future reroll counts just plummeted.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Is there some way to have your cooks deposit the meals they make nearby, then have them moved to the dining area by less skilled pawns, ideally quite a few at a time?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Pararoid posted:

Is there some way to have your cooks deposit the meals they make nearby, then have them moved to the dining area by less skilled pawns, ideally quite a few at a time?

Inside the bill details (where you set "create X simple meals") you should see an option to "take to best stockpile." You can change that to "drop on floor."

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

beerinator posted:

Inside the bill details (where you set "create X simple meals") you should see an option to "take to best stockpile." You can change that to "drop on floor."

Great, thanks.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Do the same for butcher jobs while you're at it.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.
I depend pretty heavily on the misc robots mod for hauling and cleaning because it's a huge pain in the dick otherwise.

Besides, if we have burrito delivering quadcopters and roombas in TYOOL 2017, we should have them in the year 5XXX :colbert:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Splicer posted:

Thank you. My future reroll counts just plummeted.
Lol it might need a tad bit of balancing.

quote:

However the penalties are way too extreme. Doing something they're not fond of shouldn't immediately put someone at risk of going berserk. When's the last time you brandished a kitchen knife and hunted down the nearest living thing when someone asked if you could do the dishes?

Being in darkness is -3, being naked is -6, sick is -5, freezing cold is -10, and the first stage of starvation is -22. So what's worse: A) being sick, freezing cold, naked, starving and in pitch-black darkness (-46 Total) or... B) having to haul some corn to a stockpile (-75)?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If you're playing the cultist mod, you can sacrifice a prisoner in exchange for getting rid of the backgrounds that stick you with various Incapable of Things, and I'm sure we can all agree it's a small price to pay, disemboweling a helpless prisoner in exchange for the ability to wipe up vomit :shrug:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Flesh Forge posted:

If you're playing the cultist mod, you can sacrifice a prisoner in exchange for getting rid of the backgrounds that stick you with various Incapable of Things, and I'm sure we can all agree it's a small price to pay, disemboweling a helpless prisoner in exchange for the ability to wipe up vomit :shrug:

So is the lore for that that the ancient horror from beyond time and space is going back into the past and changing the useless idiot's childhood, or are they just doing terrible space magic brain surgery to fix whatever's broken in their brain?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Anyone know if the cult mod plays well with the Jedi mod? And also the Leadership mod I guess.

The same guy made them so I would think so technically they probably work, but as far as gameplay...

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

So is the lore for that that the ancient horror from beyond time and space is going back into the past and changing the useless idiot's childhood, or are they just doing terrible space magic brain surgery to fix whatever's broken in their brain?

The former is what the text supports but I like to believe you mash up their pineal gland and hypothalamus and rub it all over your face :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

My cult leader Asenath called the colony to worship Nyarlathotep just as a huge caravan from Not Delta Green arrived, giant shootout in the middle of the temple ensued :cthulhu:

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

buglord posted:

Lol it might need a tad bit of balancing.
Lol! I've always just used MT- Everyone Hauls. It allows all colonists, regardless of backstory, to haul and clean. No insane debuffs, just pop idols with functional hands.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=933216311

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

This may be a long shot, but does anyone know what mod causes random roof collapses? I'm thinking it might be Fluffy Breakdowns but I'm not sure.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Unless it's a very new addition to the mod, Fluffy Breakdowns doesn't affect roofs at all. Are you getting random collapses when there isn't any wall/rock demolition happening nearby? Because under default vanilla rules any roof that is more than 5-6 or so (I forget the exact distance) from the nearest supporting wall will collapse.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Yes, random collapses in small rooms.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
man the worst thing about this game is the title

any friend who comes over: "hey what game is that, it looks cool"

me: "oh, its rimworld"

friend: "more like rim my butthole world!" (or some joke variation of rimming a butthole)

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Had a markov bot in IRC respond to Rimworld chat with "ill rim yer world baby" so you're not wrong.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

buglord posted:

friend: "more like rim my butthole world!" (or some joke variation of rimming a butthole)

I used to work for a company called Research in Motion (Blackberry nowadays)

Their job site was literally called RIMjobs

I have heard this 'joke' so many times it causes physical pain

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Skyrimjobs are for the nords

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Rimworld, ladies and gentlemen

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Its surprisingly accurate compared to the rest of the survival genre. Without antibiotics we will all rapidly die of diarrhea instead of some heroic last stand.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

buglord posted:

Don't play Skyrim

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

buglord posted:

Why are you playing Rimworld while you have friends over?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Volmarias posted:

Use prepare carefully to name colonists after friends (even give them matching if a bit exaggerated descriptions/skills), put Rimworld on a projector, hang out socially while someone pilots the game.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Volmarias posted:

We generally all hang out by playing our own devices in the same room because we're stupid millennials

Flesh Forge posted:

Rimworld, ladies and gentlemen

seeing this makes me feel physically angry and ill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I would legit have a stream of a genetic algorithm learning to play Rimworld up 24/7 if that were a thing