Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Man he loving butchers the end of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

So when's The Expanse back on the air?

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

FredMSloniker posted:

Meanwhile, Geordi and Data are trapped in a holding cell with everything exploding. Geordi uses his VISOR (that's even a canon acronym: Visual Instrument and Sensory Organ Replacement!) to hack the control panel outside the cell and lower the force field, but then the ceiling collapses - and Data catches the debris, one-handed, and throws it aside.
You missed Geordie giving a thumbs up after this. Unless it was just implied.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Netflix must be kind of pissed at CBS too since now they have wait for the entire season as well after fronting all that money. They could have at least given the pilot a more solid start time to get people interested. As it is now if I ever subscribe to their poo poo service it'll be in January or February to binge all of it unless they pull some bullshit like rotating old episodes out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Evek posted:

Netflix must be kind of pissed at CBS too since now they have wait for the entire season as well after fronting all that money. They could have at least given the pilot a more solid start time to get people interested. As it is now if I ever subscribe to their poo poo service it'll be in January or February to binge all of it unless they pull some bullshit like rotating old episodes out.

I doubt they would rotate out episodes on their own service.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Evek posted:

Article says Netflix are putting up the episodes the next day:

quote:

Netflix will launch Star Trek: Discovery on Monday, September 25 to countries outside of the U.S. and Canada

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Nah I'm talking about the split season. Guess it doesn't really matter for them since they can keep people subscribed for longer. Helps that they have an actual catalog people want to watch.

What was the verdict on their flagship show? Did it keep the subscriber numbers up or did people cancel?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

What always bothered me is that Spock gets demoted because he died. The Enterprise is his ship in Wrath of Khan, but after they get the -A, he's right back to being the first officer.

Spock has no desire to command, though. He said as much a couple of times in TOS. He's okay doing it as a teacher, but even in TWOK he pushes Kirk into the center seat the first moment he can.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I think it's a little easy to poke fun at the football related scheduling. I mean most of us in this thread are going to find a way to watch this thing anyway, it's at least somewhat encouraging to see them try and reach a larger audience. It seems unlikely but they're probably hoping this will break out in the way The Walking Dead did. If you'd told someone that a zombie show based on some dark comic books would be the biggest thing in cable before that aired you'd have been laughed out of the room. Not to mention that there are some weirdos like me out here who love Trek but also love the hell out of football. I'm trying to be optimistic here, despite my concern over just how hosed up the whole development process for this thing has been.

Edit: Also I'm pretty sure Netflix knew exactly how the week to week of this would work, you're not signing that sort of contract without specifics.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Discovery's producers attempt a bit of hilarious damage control.

quote:

“There’s is so much artistry and custom craftsmanship that go into every prop, every costume, every set,” Harberts explained. “These things have to be designed and manufactured. We flew a costume designer to Switzerland to pick up the fabric for the Starfleet uniforms. Several items on our uniforms are 3D printed. Some of our sets can take over six weeks to make. CBS has given us the time and the money to make something the fans will find worthwhile.”

Added Berg: “You can’t cut corners or have 95 percent of what’s on screen be completely original and inspired and then have five percent something you bought at a store. It has to be cohesive — and it is. I’m so proud of what’s on screen, it’s so beautiful and it’s taking world-building to a whole new level.”

I like the implication that no one had any idea of how long it took to build sets.

Edit: "You can’t cut corners or have 95 percent of what’s on screen be completely original and inspired and then have five percent something you bought at a store." Tell me, are you aware of how Wah Chang fashioned his props for the original series? Or that the VISOR was fashioned from a 99-cent barrette that Mike Okuda picked up from a drug store?

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 19, 2017

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Timby posted:

What always bothered me is that Spock gets demoted because he died. The Enterprise is his ship in Wrath of Khan, but after they get the -A, he's right back to being the first officer.

Look, every time you resurrect, you lose one rank. Usually, people come back with Eerie Powers, and it's to help keep things fair. Spock may not have had that happen, but them's the rules.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

After The War posted:

Look, every time you resurrect, you lose one rank. Usually, people come back with Eerie Powers, and it's to help keep things fair. Spock may not have had that happen, but them's the rules.

I kind of miss the days when elves and half elves couldn't be resurrected

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Bloop posted:

I kind of miss the days when elves and half elves couldn't be resurrected

We all do.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Timby posted:

I like the implication that no one had any idea of how long it took to build sets.

Edit: "You can’t cut corners or have 95 percent of what’s on screen be completely original and inspired and then have five percent something you bought at a store." Tell me, are you aware of how Wah Chang fashioned his props for the original series? Or that the VISOR was fashioned from a 99-cent barrette that Mike Okuda picked up from a drug store?

There is also Bones' med scanners which were bargain basement Swedish futuristic looking salt and pepper shakers. Then when they need a salt shaker for 'The Mantrap' they had to steal one from the commisary, so it actually looked like a salt shaker. Also Justman was forever rooting in bins and dumpsters on the lot for set dressing.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

J33uk posted:

I think it's a little easy to poke fun at the football related scheduling. I mean most of us in this thread are going to find a way to watch this thing anyway

I'm not. I'll watch the pilot, sure. But on principle I'm not giving a penny to CBS until the season finishes, and I don't do the piracy thing anymore. If by some miracle it turns out this show is REALLY good, I might spring for a binge month after the season break and another at the end. But the world does not need 47 separate paid streaming services. I can handle Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon - anything beyond that I simply want to discourage.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This will be on Netflix, right? :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

This will be on Netflix, right? :v:

In the US? If it is ever on Netflix, it won't be until a year after the season ends most likely. CBS wants people to sign up for CBS all access, no one will do that if they can just go to Netflix.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cojawfee posted:

CBS wants people to sign up for CBS all access, no one will do that if they can just go to Netflix.

The joke is that nobody will sign up for CBS All Access even if they can't go to Netflix. :v:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My stupid wishful-thinking pipe-dream hope is that it tanks in the US and does super well ratings-wise everywhere else and CBS realizes that the problem is their poo poo online service and not Trek and then broadcasts the first half of the season during the "break" and just continues from there as though they meant it to be broadcast all along. Maybe that's what the scheduled break is for.

Of course, this is bullshit, but I can still hope it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The Bloop posted:

My stupid wishful-thinking pipe-dream hope is that it tanks in the US and does super well ratings-wise everywhere else and CBS realizes that THEY are the problem and then broadcasts the first half of the season during the "break" and just continues from there as though they meant it to be broadcast all along. Maybe that's what the scheduled break is for.

Of course, this is bullshit, but I can still hope it.

CBS: We tried, but it looks like no one is interested in a new Star Trek TV show, the ratings just aren't there.
Netflix: Actually, we found it to be very successful. If you don't want to make any more, we'd be happy to pay to make it our-
CBS: NO ONE WANTS STAR TREK I GUESS

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

But the world does not need 47 separate paid streaming services.

Appropriate. :golfclap:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Bloop posted:

Definitely make sure that your Pilot for an expensive new series is set tentatively at the half-hour after a variable-length sporting event and/or a news show famous for going over time even though the length of the program is literally the name of the program.

Is someone intentionally sabotaging this or are they simply this incompetent?

Also it's on Sunday night.

:ughh:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I know what I'm doing.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I'm willing to bet that All Access will crash and burn every time an episode is released even though there will only be 5 people subscribing.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Look, Timby, today's millennial consumers aren't satisfied with store-bought stuff, they need to know that every prop and costume is 100% hand-crafted bespoke artisan goods so that they can authentically engage with oh my god why am i suddenly vomiting uncontrollably

EDIT: Wait, the article says release got slipped seven months, but I thought the original intended release date was fall 2016. Am I misremembering or is EW?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Manhunt. Pretty good makeup on the comatose fish-eye aliens at the beginning. Not sure how the title Manhunt is gonna make sense.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Every episode with Lwaxana Troi is a manhunt.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I can't tell if Worf was being sarcastic there.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Every episode with Lwaxana Troi is a manhunt.

Ah poo poo she showed up right as I read this.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Awesome the tall guy from men in black is back too.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol she's unbelievable

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol yessssss they brought back the gong

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh boy Picard's shutting her down.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I wish there were more comedic/character based episodes like this. Not all of them needs a threat to the Enterprise.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Betazoids apparently become cougars by nature.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Look at Riker's face.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard's going to the holodeck I KNEW IT he's addicted

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

DIXON HILL BABEEEEEE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Sorry for posting like crazy but I haven't enjoyed an episode this much in a while.