Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morbus
May 18, 2004

Starmaker posted:

Do you think the flow of time will ever return to normal? Or will the next 3.5/7.5 years take ten thousand years to get through?

I have already aged so much during this time.

GOP plan to address climate change looking p good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Would it be possible for them to pass an "Oops we goofed and now everyone hates us" bill where they could take out at least some of the most horrifying stuff if the AHCA passes or is there no real way out of this?

Screw it, second post is close enough.

Dogwood Fleet fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 20, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Would it be possible for them to pass an "Oops we goofed and now everyone hates us" bill where they could take out at least some of the most horrifying stuff if the AHCA passes or is there no real way out of this?

They're about to swallow their own poison pill. Committing all the way to such a horrible bill is unprecedented, it's a chamber full of guys that have either been hotboxing their own farts or see no choice but to keep huffing.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

That's a good ad.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:911:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Here's the thing: they're doing this because they have to. If they had the votes for a less lovely bill then they'd pass a less lovely bill, but it's clear that they don't. Republicans may be evil, but they aren't killing people just for the hell of it. The hard line conservatives aren't going to accept something that isn't horrifying and they aren't going to get Democrats crossing over for what would essentially be a much worse version of the ACA.

Then again, who knows? Maybe this'll be such a disaster that moderate Republicans will come together with Democrats to work on real healthcare reform, but I don't really believe in accelerationism so I doubt it. They'll probably just double down on their awful plan and go right back to obstruction once Democrats are back in power.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I am pretty sure that insurance companies are actually writing the healthcare bill and not those guys so they'll put in everything that makes insurance companies happy.

Normally I'd agree with you but I think we're seeing the GOP circling a vortex of cynicism and incompetence right now. It's not clear that they intend the bill to accomplish anything at all, besides scoring political points for their base and cutting taxes for the rich.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Wow.

It would be great and I'd laugh so hard if Ryan's district flipped to this guy.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Arglebargle III posted:

Normally I'd agree with you but I think we're seeing the GOP circling a vortex of cynicism and incompetence right now. It's not clear that they intend the bill to accomplish anything at all, besides scoring political points for their base and cutting taxes for the rich.

Their stumping for "patients choice" in this arena has always come off as really half-hearted, that they know that it's bs

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Paradoxish posted:

Here's the thing: they're doing this because they have to. If they had the votes for a less lovely bill then they'd pass a less lovely bill, but it's clear that they don't. Republicans may be evil, but they aren't killing people just for the hell of it. The hard line conservatives aren't going to accept something that isn't horrifying and they aren't going to get Democrats crossing over for what would essentially be a much worse version of the ACA.

Then again, who knows? Maybe this'll be such a disaster that moderate Republicans will come together with Democrats to work on real healthcare reform, but I don't really believe in accelerationism so I doubt it. They'll probably just double down on their awful plan and go right back to obstruction once Democrats are back in power.

Republicans have been obstructionist for seven years and they were never expecting to be in power. They railed against Obamacare and now they actually have to do something. By not doing something they are not only giving up the opportunity but showing that they stand for very little as a party beyond obstructionism. The thing is that Obama passed an extremely conservative bill. It was a handout to the insurance companies so the republicans couldn't do that to move the goal posts. They're not given much wiggle room to work with as it's already pretty pro big business. So when they try to craft something it's not only hot garbage because they don't have any wiggle room, but it's hot garbage because their party is so diverse that they can't agree on whether to change the law or repeal it. By not doing so they look weak and stupid. They're going to take pain whether they do something or not.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

Maybe the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future will visit McConnell in the night? I have preexisting conditions, but I can move to Canada if I really need to. There are a lot of people who can't.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Years ago when I heard something about how the Supreme Court was going to strike down Obamacare my kneejerk response was that if this happened I should just put a bullet in my brain. Of course this was horrible and I probably will never actually do that. But drat, if Obamacare goes down, I really will feel the need to take to the streets in some way. Maybe graffiti something or track down the neon green Jeep I saw today with the Confederate flag sticker and the "ZOMBIE69" license plate . . . okay, I would need to do that anyway. That is unacceptable.

I'm not really a politically active person and don't think I'm likely to be radicialized or whatever the term is, but if losing my health insurance and with it the financial progress I've made in the last few years will do this to me, I can't help but imagine that there are people out there whose attitude will be, gently caress it, I'm gonna die anyway, might as well take some of those responsible for it out with me. We still live in the country in which people shoot up their workplaces after getting fired.

gently caress you guys I'm crying now

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Don't wait until you lose your health insurance. Get active now.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

loving hell this is good. gently caress Paul Ryan. It might be time for Congressman Iron Stache.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I'd vote for that guy based solely on his ability to come up with a decent twitter handle.

trickybiscuits posted:

if Obamacare goes down, I really will feel the need to take to the streets in some way. Maybe graffiti something

Everyone should do this. Discontent graffiti all over everything would look so much better than billboards for burger kings.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dude's stache game rivals Sam Elliot.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug
Is Paul Ryan's district winnable by a Dem though? Only PVI+5 and includes two pivot counties that voted Obama in 2008/2012 and flipped to Trump. But this is the prime shithead Paul Ryan we're talking about.

Sorry, didn't mean to scare you.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I've been wondering if they'll do exactly that. Make the AHCA as evil as possible so they can put bigger tax cuts without a 10-year sunset in the 2018 reconciliation (this is the real goal of their :airquote:healthcare reform).

Then go to the Democrats and say "okay if you don't want the healthcare system to collapse help us pass a better bill that's still worse than ACA but not quite as horrible as what we just did", and count on Democrats having morals and giving a poo poo about the country. Which will probably work because Democrats aren't evil fucks like the GOP and won't purposely let America's healthcare explode in order to exploit it for political advantage like Republicans did when they sabotaged ACA every which way they could for 7 goddamn years.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 20, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Oh, huh, that explains the random "Why can't the Saudis have nukes? Everyone should have nukes!" comment by Trump during one of the debates.

(And then we/the electoral college elected Trump anyways lol)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Don't give Glenn Beck click-throughs, thanks.

LaserShark posted:

Yeah, let's be honest, no goon is getting out of North Korea alive.

Exception: Caro

E: whoops, wrong guy

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 20, 2017

Caros
May 14, 2008

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Don't give Glenn Beck click-throughs, thanks.

Exception: Caros

While I appreciate the weird vote of confidence, I think you mean Caro. I'm not the crazy syrian torture dungeon guy.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Caros posted:

While I appreciate the weird vote of confidence, I think you mean Caro. I'm not the crazy syrian torture dungeon guy.

Don't lie.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Caros posted:

that sounds like something caro would say :thunk:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Caros posted:

Yeah, whoops, I keep adding the 's' in my head when I think about that guy. v:v:v

Having interacted with Paul D. Ryan personally, I'd rather vote for a hot poo poo sandwich as an alternative. IronStache looks legit.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jun 20, 2017

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Republicans will pass the most hateful, nasty trash possible, and Trump will sign it and do everything he can to take credit for it. Since the GOP has been doing the entire process in secret and with as little salesmanship as possible, they think all of the blowback will go to Trump. Considering the many, many scandals going on, they can dump him when he's taken the credit for enough disastrous policy as he can take before it starts sticking to the rest of the GOP. Trump is their braindead scapegoat that they have to keep around and defend until they can get his dumb signature on their bullshit before their whole castle falls apart.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

dont even fink about it posted:

This is the op-ed that made me decide to stop paying NYT every month, by the way.

Also guys, when I actually read past the first paragraph of this Bret Stephens op-ed I found out I'm an idiot

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So when do we get the results and the inevitable "nothing matters" regardless of outcome?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Caros would love North Korea and never even want to come home because they have the death penalty for libertarians.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fulchrum posted:

So when do we get the results and the inevitable "nothing matters" regardless of outcome?

The polls close at 7pm EST.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

dont even fink about it posted:

Also guys, when I actually read past the first paragraph of this Bret Stephens op-ed I found out I'm an idiot

yeah he goes on a bit too long, comedic timing is also a thing in writing it seems

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mattsheffield/status/876862596326010880
https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/876978484127596546
https://twitter.com/AP/status/877081864070209536
https://twitter.com/Matt_Kasper/status/876793183430168577
https://twitter.com/KeeganNYC/status/876762346294837249
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/877026600176537600
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/877017482300706816
https://twitter.com/JasonLeopold/status/876912212022927360
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/877005063612497920
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/877005362695733249
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/877033984345088000
https://twitter.com/AP/status/877040558375661569
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/877043399349739521
https://twitter.com/Carrasquillo/status/877004488615309317
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/877087007037677570

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I think Rod Rosenstein duped Trump into firing Comey, knowing that this would expose Trumps to accusations of obstructing justice. Rosenstein has been in the DoJ since 1990. He's a seasoned Washington bureaucrat. Any seasoned politician like Obama or Bush would have known better, Trump did not.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

This is a fantastic ad and I love the guy's logo with the steel beams. I hope the AFL-CIO throws tons of money at his campaign. Also @IronStache is just about the best name.

Though I can't help but feel like the DNC will support some other dude in the primaries, probably a boring white-collar carpetbagger, because Democrats like to forget that labor used to be their base.

Drone fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 20, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

Bush isn't bottom five.

yes, he is.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

FizFashizzle posted:

tune in next week.....

... For this term's finale!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Civ X shall feature Bush II and Trump instead of the likes of Warren Harding and Nero.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oh just a reminder rick perry let a 100 percent innocent guy get executed.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Drone posted:

This is a fantastic ad and I love the guy's logo with the steel beams. I hope the AFL-CIO throws tons of money at his campaign. Also @IronStache is just about the best name.

Though I can't help but feel like the DNC will support some other dude in the primaries, probably a boring white-collar carpetbagger, because Democrats like to forget that labor used to be their base.

You're thinking of the DCCC maybe, the DNC has literally no impact on Congressional primaries (and even then it comes down to who gets more votes, that being the function of primaries, the dccc just funds the candidate afterwards)

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
So when Handel wins by like +35 tonight and the voting machines are immediately locked in a vault and set on fire with Republicans yelling "haha we win, no uh you can't see th-the voting machines, they're tired and need sleep", which area of the US should I move to in hopes of a secession movement taking me away from 10,000 years of Kakistocratic darkness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ripoff posted:

So when Handel wins by like +35 tonight and the voting machines are immediately locked in a vault and set on fire with Republicans yelling "haha we win, no uh you can't see th-the voting machines, they're tired and need sleep", which area of the US should I move to in hopes of a secession movement taking me away from 10,000 years of Kakistocratic darkness?

Canada I think.

• Locked thread