Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm not really sure what needs to be done, except optimize performance and net code. Well, I guess the vaulting system, and adding more pointless items.

Gyrocopters obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

tote up a bags posted:

What are the requirements like for this game? I am toying with bootcamping it on my mediocre MBP but I don't want to splash out for something I can't run.

stoats you should know by now that steam has a 2 hour no questions asked refund period!!

we can play together if you get it to run

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Broose posted:

Does this game show any signs that of the devs fading out after they got their sweet early access money like pretty much every iteration of this genre has seen? Or is it too early to tell? I haven't kept up with these types of games very much since when dayz was just a mod, but this game is fun to watch.

Serious answer: Don't worry about that, PLAYERUNKNOWN has been making Battle Royale games for years. I've played his ARMA 2 and ARMA 3 mods for the last several years and he's also done paid work on H1Z1.

He's been doing this genre, and doing it well, for so long now. I don't see why he would suddenly stop now that he is making a ton of money doing it and has full freedom to design things outside the constraints of the ARMA engines.

Unlike Dean Hall, who accidentally made DayZ without ever knowing how, PU knows that the three most important aspects of these games are:
-Guns. Many guns.
-A big ol' map to roam with features that lead players together (high loot areas in DayZ, zone and loot in BG)
-Crappy ol' vehicles that blow up easily but are great for transportation

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

The Mash posted:

Serious answer: Don't worry about that, PLAYERUNKNOWN has been making Battle Royale games for years. I've played his ARMA 2 and ARMA 3 mods for the last several years and he's also done paid work on H1Z1.

He's been doing this genre, and doing it well, for so long now. I don't see why he would suddenly stop now that he is making a ton of money doing it and has full freedom to design things outside the constraints of the ARMA engines.

Unlike Dean Hall, who accidentally made DayZ without ever knowing how, PU knows that the three most important aspects of these games are:
-Guns. Many guns.
-A big ol' map to roam with features that lead players together (high loot areas in DayZ, zone and loot in BG)
-Crappy ol' vehicles that blow up easily but are great for transportation

Well, that's good to know. been wary ever sinc Dean pretty much disappeared when dayz standalone was released, and the multiple of quick cash grabs from no-name developers. (Like that one that was banned from steam, then relisted, then banned again)

I guess I'll pick it up and become the most (read: least) dangerous game.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

VulgarandStupid posted:

The original plan was to finish development within 6 months of EA release.

I'm not really sure what needs to be done, except optimize performance and net code. Well, I guess the vaulting system, and adding more pointless items.

Having some map variety would be great.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Having some map variety would be great.

vOv tell that to DOTA. I think they're planning like three or four maps at the moment, but this is basically the MOBA of DAYZs so I wouldn't be surprised if the map variety stays small for esports reasons.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Feels like I run into people blatantly duoqueueing in solos every other game. As in, loving hugging each other at the same side of a broken wall to 3pp me.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

No, I said I was done talking about custom servers. Maybe stay on topic instead of meta trolling?

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

I didn't realize "I don't care about stats dude, I want to play at my peak performance and that requires a high return on investment from practicing small units of skill." ACTUALLY means "I want to be like grimmz with 5 minutes of playtime". My complaint was that bluehole gives this asymmetrical advantage to streamers, and puts everyone else on the back burner.

Whatever, I'm done.

for someone who literally typed "whatever, I'm done" you're still talking, even though the best thing you could do is just unbookmark the thread and shitpost elsewhere. Maybe go hang on Reddit, they'd like you there.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Honestly I think I'd almost rather pick up crossbow than a shotgun atm. Picked it up there other day for fun since my duo partner got killed instantly by another duo and I wanted to get some petty revenge before we started a new game. Ended up destroying the other duo close range one shot for each. Don't think another gun could have done that well. Good thing I had time to reload though.

Had a crazy squad game yesterday where when there were about 30-35 people left we decided to drive a fair bit into the white circle to try and find a good spot. We ended up driving around for a while inside the fairly small circle ('cause we couldn't agree on a spot) and ended up stopping on a small plateau with 3 open huts almost on top the hill north east of Pochinky. Immediately we took fire from all directions (go figure).
There was a non-stop fight at that location for a while since around half of the 30-35 alive decided to stop by one team after the other. When the fighting stopped I was the only survivor on the plateau. My squad was dead but I was 9 kills richer (10 total by this point), by the mercy of my AKM and M24, and now there were only 3 more standing between me and victory.
It was quiet for a bit and I was hiding behind a tree looking for snakes and bush wookies when 2 of the remaining 3 pushed. Downed one and the other died instantly (different teams). Now it was one on one with the downed guy crawling around in the no man's land between the two trees me and the last guy were hiding behind. I didn't have any frags, however the guy I killed earlier died by my tree and he had a molotov. Threw it at the foot of the other tree which flushed the last guy out to his swift death. Victory was mine.

That was the most intense win I've had so far.

PS: The AKM has a nutty 4-5 shot burst and you should try it out.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Spanish Matlock posted:

vOv tell that to DOTA. I think they're planning like three or four maps at the moment, but this is basically the MOBA of DAYZs so I wouldn't be surprised if the map variety stays small for esports reasons.

I like the idea of different maps as long as they're actually really different. Not just "another island with hills and a river and some cities."

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

I like the idea of different maps as long as they're actually really different. Not just "another island with hills and a river and some cities."

I'd like at least one more general, little-bit-of-everything map, but yeah, gimmick maps would be great too. One that's all forest, once with mangroves etc. gently caress an all-urban map though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Parallel Playa posted:

I'd like at least one more general, little-bit-of-everything map, but yeah, gimmick maps would be great too. One that's all forest, once with mangroves etc. gently caress an all-urban map though.

I think an all-urban map could be really cool, but the circle mechanic would probably make it really annoying.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Parallel Playa posted:

an all urban map would be better than a lovely all forest map, but i'm the guy that dislikes it when the circle closes on an open field

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Inspector_666 posted:

Well, of two they said they are working on for release this year one is a a smaller desert city and the other is a big snowy mountain in the middle with a ring of forest so you should be fine

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Well, of two they said they are working on for release this year one is a a smaller desert city and the other is a big snowy mountain in the middle with a ring of forest so you should be fine

Hell yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Anyone have any recommendations for optimization guides? I am struggling with ~30 FPS on a 3440x1440 monitor, and dropping the settings (other than draw distance) hasn't had the desired impact.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Google player unknown 144hz fps guide it should lead you to a website posted here a while ago with 144 in the domain

Inspector_666 posted:

Hell yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about.

Yea this game could just keep getting better and better.

Six months from now: waaa I never get an uzi in the desert map it's always a kar and a 8x why don't I get these drops on the regular map

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Spanish Matlock posted:

I think I wanted extra maps when I first started playing, but the more I play on this map the more I like how you can build up a relationship to it. So much of the game is map sense that it feels like having four random maps would just lead to people learning the game way slower.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
You can't really compare a single-map game like Dota to this. In games like Dota the variety comes from having a million different possible combinations of heroes on both teams, plus what items they buy, plus what tactics they use etc. Whereas in PUBG it's always a bunch of people shooting each other with a small choice of guns, and the variety comes from being forced into different parts of a big map by the circle. It's definitely true that you start to 'learn' parts of the map after a while, but I don't think that means that adding more maps will be bad for the game.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

OtspIII posted:

I think I wanted extra maps when I first started playing, but the more I play on this map the more I like how you can build up a relationship to it. So much of the game is map sense that it feels like having four random maps would just lead to people learning the game way slower.

Random maps are not going to work imo, map knowledge is a key aspect of gameplay in games like this. It should always be selectable.

I think a selection between 2-4 different maps that are well differentiated could be cool, I mean as long as they play differently. Also map size plays a factor here, a smaller island with a 50 player limit for instance.

DayZ mod had a nice amount of fan made maps that were generally pretty cool. I miss Namalsk.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

OtspIII posted:

At around 500 games I'm still seeing some "new" land to me but I generally traverse the map the same way at this point because I know how to work the terrain in my favor. By the end of the year I'll be more than ready for an alternative map. My only worry would be fragmenting the population but this seems like it has enough players to handle it. Close urban combat is my jam, way more intense to me and I love out-thinking idiots who aren't fluid to the situation changing around them

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Cicadalek posted:

You can't really compare a single-map game like Dota to this. In games like Dota the variety comes from having a million different possible combinations of heroes on both teams, plus what items they buy, plus what tactics they use etc. Whereas in PUBG it's always a bunch of people shooting each other with a small choice of guns, and the variety comes from being forced into different parts of a big map by the circle. It's definitely true that you start to 'learn' parts of the map after a while, but I don't think that means that adding more maps will be bad for the game.

I used to think Rocket League would flourish with a large variety of maps but the pro scene fought back, and they never compete on non-standard ones.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Also map size plays a factor here, a smaller island with a 50 player limit for instance.

Agree, I'd like to see smaller maps with smaller playercount. something that has, say, a quarter of the area with half the player count would be very neat. Probably a bitch to balance.

fishing with the fam posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for optimization guides? I am struggling with ~30 FPS on a 3440x1440 monitor, and dropping the settings (other than draw distance) hasn't had the desired impact.

Drop Draw distance. The lowest setting is still a quarter of the map. Drop shadows all the way down too. What CPU/GPU do you have?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Lockback posted:

Drop Draw distance. The lowest setting is still a quarter of the map. Drop shadows all the way down too. What CPU/GPU do you have?

Oh. Dang. I had read that draw distance was the most important thing to keep high. In that case, I'll try dropping it and see the effects.

i5 4570
GTX1070

Thanks for the response.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Lockback posted:

Agree, I'd like to see smaller maps with smaller playercount. something that has, say, a quarter of the area with half the player count would be very neat. Probably a bitch to balance.

Do that thing that a ton of people do where there's no darkness inside and the game looks like loving trash and it's a huge advantage in any indoor situation and somehow nobody thinks it's a problem

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

fishing with the fam posted:

Oh. Dang. I had read that draw distance was the most important thing to keep high. In that case, I'll try dropping it and see the effects.

i5 4570
GTX1070

Thanks for the response.

I get people wanting a prettier game but it looks fine to me with everything set to very low, AA at ultra and draw distance at Low.

The biggest differences for me were putting it on ssd and messing with nvidia control panel settings for it. Here are said settings after countless hours messing with it. I still think I should be able to make it more clear butttt I haven't figured out yet how :(

My friend has a brand new top of the line system and all the spotting of people at long distances is on me because he has foliage and texture turned up to max and never sees anyone. With texture at very low, foliage at very low, draw distance at low people seem to be prettttty obvious to me

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

https://clips.twitch.tv/FaintLachrymoseCobraTwitchRPG

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I used to think Rocket League would flourish with a large variety of maps but the pro scene fought back, and they never compete on non-standard ones.

Rocket league is a sports game. You want soccer pitches and football fields to all be the same; you want rocket league maps to be standard. The randomized nature of the circle means you can have multiple maps and keep having the same sort of experiences because they'll always have idiosyncrasies.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Badfinger posted:

Rocket league is a sports game. You want soccer pitches and football fields to all be the same; you want rocket league maps to be standard. The randomized nature of the circle means you can have multiple maps and keep having the same sort of experiences because they'll always have idiosyncrasies.

Also I don't really give a gently caress what the "pro" players want if it means less fun for me.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Inspector_666 posted:

Also I don't really give a gently caress what the "pro" players want if it means less fun for me.

I am the bad gamer who has the mad max map and the weird tokyo map downvoted because I don't want to play on non-standard maps in ranked mode.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

It happens too often where a developer will have a clear plan on adding content to their game but a small and very loud community of players will fight back, and the devs tend to give in. Adding maps to PUBG that differ wildly from the first map we get might anger only a few players but they'll be spamming every forum they can to get their old game back.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Can you imagine how cool a deserted claustrophobic desert city map would be?! So close you can jump from roof to roof or balcony to balcony. One main street that splits the entire map or something you can snipe down. The tumbleweeds are level 4 helmets

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

gimmick mode where all 100 players spawn in an area the size of a football field and there's always only one gun spawn per 10 people, every other spawn is the pan

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Gimmick games are a fun break. Viss hosted a few games yesterday where the circle progressed at 5 times the regular speed. Basically you had to hope you found a car, and maybe a gun, then get on your horse to the center of the circle where it turned into a destruction derby with the occasional shotgun involved.

Games lasted like 6 mins tops so it was a good way to cycle through some quick games and get his community involved.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I get people wanting a prettier game but it looks fine to me with everything set to very low, AA at ultra and draw distance at Low.

I like pretty games and the thought of reducing everything to very low makes me sad. :(

Oh well. I'll give it another go tonight and see if I can get decent frame rates.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

first win! what a rush

i started out the final fight 1v2, holding my uzi. i thought that i had set it to full auto. i learned otherwise when i started firing

and I still won!

this is the game of kings, my friends

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Also got my first solo chicken dinner. Five kills but spent the whole game moving - I think my solo MMR maybe is low enough that people love to camp. After the first circle I don't trust any houses, I don't care what kind of loot still might be laying around.

Landed at school with absolutely nobody else, went up Pochinki Hill to try to find action and there was nobody there. Went down into Pochinki to get some shooting in, also nobody. Grabbed a car as the circle was heading to military island. Ran someone over getting to the island with around 30 remaining. Ran counter-clockwise around the island south of the military base's broken airplanes, ending up at the radio tower where I killed two people camping around up there. Circle favored me greatly by allowing me to stay on the high ground, while I was able to watch the final two people shooting at each other and I killed them both.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 20, 2017

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

https://clips.twitch.tv/TrustworthyOriginalFalconShazBotstix

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Neon Belly posted:

Also got my first solo chicken dinner. Five kills but spent the whole game moving - I think my solo MMR maybe is low enough that people love to camp. After the first circle I don't trust any houses, I don't care what kind of loot still might be laying around.

This is how my group plays now, pretty much. Once we all have rifles, we're only going into buildings to clear them unless they have multiple escape routes and give us advantageous views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
You're smelly and have bad am.

ps. Hi lepey.

It brings me great joy to murder anyone who dares to spawn in my radar tower building near Swamp Town.

• Locked thread