Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Spider-Gwen is from an alternate universe where she got bitten instead of Peter, and Peter died instead of her. Silk was bitten by the same spider that bit Peter.

I don't care who's being glib, dumb comics trivia has been asked and I know origins goddammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
Ah so both did. Thanks for clearing it up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Wasn't that Silk?

Eventually Slott will do the SpiderSTD story.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
SpAIDSer-man

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Green Arrow:

Just print them off and get them signed. Better than comic covers!

I absolutely would get Cary Elwes to sign that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I got the idea of Ewan McGregor as Green Arrow, and now I kinda really want to see that happen.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, Spider-Gwen was a huge hit so they did a Gwen month of variant covers, and Gwenpool turned out to be ridiculously popular with cosplayers basically immediately, so Marvel figured they had something there and made an actual Gwenpool ongoing.

Now they're doing the Mary Jane month of covers, so I guess they're hoping for lightning to strike twice?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Mary-Jane-Jolen? :420:
Or a Groot hybrid

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Eventually Slott will do the SpiderSTD story.

Isn't that Spider-Man: Reign?

Which is actually a decent story, if you ignore that one bit, or treat it like it's intended as a metaphor on Spider-Man just being a general bad person to hang around, health wise (see: Captain and Gwen Stacy, Harry Osborne, Ned Leads, Ed Brock, countless others.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dexie posted:

Now they're doing the Mary Jane month of covers, so I guess they're hoping for lightning to strike twice?

Is Mary Jane in either of the Iron-Man books still? I could see an alternate universe Mary Jane where she's basically a superhero version of Hedy Lamarr, and Iron Mary isn't a bad name for a comic.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I mean it's an okay pun, but just pay the lawyers and go with Iron Maiden.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Unlucky7 posted:

Jim Cummings is still working as a voice actor. Heck, he does a good number of the voices in the WoW Legion Expansion.

The voice of Leisure Suit Larry :swoon:

EDIT: Actually I confused him with Jan Rabson, another prolific voice actor. The guy that did the original voice for Tetsuo :laugh: I did learn that Cummings did a voice in the Dragon Dice video game, which is definitely something that existed.

Aphrodite posted:

I collect statues and stuff of a few specific characters. I had the idea of getting the first appearance issue for each of them to hang on the wall (since the wall space behind the shelves is just being wasted) but 2 of them are Cyclops and Green Arrow, so that's just not happening.

Anyone recommend good issues to represent those two? And not you know, several thousand dollars. They don't actually have to be good comics.

Issue 1 of the Mike Barr/Trevor Von Eeden Green Arrow miniseries. It's GA's first solo comic. It's also like $5

Ghostlight posted:

I mean it's an okay pun, but just pay the lawyers and go with Iron Maiden.

That's not necessary, there's already an Iron Maiden in Marvel, she's the woman covered in metal from Earth X

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 20, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lightning Lord posted:

That's not necessary, there's already an Iron Maiden in Marvel, she's the woman covered in metal from Earth X

One of the reason Ironheart was not named "Iron Maiden" was their inability to use the name on covers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

One of the reason Ironheart was not named "Iron Maiden" was their inability to use the name on covers.

They aren't using the name Ironheart on the covers, so that doesn't hold water.They're definitely not using Iron Maiden because of the Band, but also there's some weird sexual politics associated with the word "Maiden."

This loving happens every time a minority character takes over in some part the role of a created in the 60's white dude.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skwirl posted:

They aren't using the name Ironheart on the covers, so that doesn't hold water..

Don't be silly. Just because they aren't doing it now doesn't mean that it wasn't a consideration. They clearly want Ironheart to be a big character, they weren't going to give her a name that would face significant legal limitations in promotions and marketing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

They aren't using the name Ironheart on the covers, so that doesn't hold water.They're definitely not using Iron Maiden because of the Band, but also there's some weird sexual politics associated with the word "Maiden."

This loving happens every time a minority character takes over in some part the role of a created in the 60's white dude.

They have used the name Ironheart on several covers though.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Right but is the character in question going to be a titular one?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

They have used the name Ironheart on several covers though.

You run a comic book shop, how much to buy an issue of Ironheart #1?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skwirl posted:

You run a comic book shop, how much to buy an issue of Ironheart #1?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Huh I didn't know The Dark Phoenix Saga, Kitty Pryde's first appearance, and Days of Future Past were all back-to-back with each other.

Have there been other iconic stories so close together?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I was wrong when I said they didn't put the words Iron Heart on the cover, but the name of the comic is still Invincible Iron Man. I was asking where I could buy Iron Heart #1

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

OhFunny posted:

Huh I didn't know The Dark Phoenix Saga, Kitty Pryde's first appearance, and Days of Future Past were all back-to-back with each other.

Also in that run are the first appearances of Emma Frost in particular and the Hellfire Club as a whole, the first appearance of Dazzler, and the moment when Wolverine went from "that tiny Canadian guy with claws" to Wolverine. I don't think anything tops it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skwirl posted:

I was wrong when I said they didn't put the words Iron Heart on the cover, but the name of the comic is still Invincible Iron Man. I was asking where I could buy Iron Heart #1

Why are you asking that? What point are you trying to make? Ironheart doesn't headline a comic book, therefore she never will, not in a million years? Or have a toy or any sort of merchandise where Marvel would want a free hand to use her name?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OhFunny posted:

Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four had a lot of poo poo like that, Galactus first appears in the back half of one comic then they deal with him in the first half of the next, and then there's something else.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

OhFunny posted:

Does the Fourth World saga count?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

They mocked up covers with the "Iron Heart" name on them and showed them to retailers. The reactions were pretty negative and they kept using "Iron Man" so as to not have the book be DOA.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

They mocked up covers with the "Iron Heart" name on them and showed them to retailers. The reactions were pretty negative and they kept using "Iron Man" so as to not have the book be DOA.

Now I'm just depressed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Now I'm just depressed.

It sucks. But people don't always like or want change. It's working with Thor but my Sam Cap numbers are in the shitter and "Infamous" outsells Iron Man like 12 to 1 at my store.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It sucks. But people don't always like or want change. It's working with Thor but my Sam Cap numbers are in the shitter and "Infamous" outsells Iron Man like 12 to 1 at my store.

That doesn't surprise me too much. I loving hated Superior Spider-Man as a concept, but Doctor Doom trying to be a hero is great.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

OhFunny posted:

Original Sin and Axis!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four had a lot of poo poo like that, Galactus first appears in the back half of one comic then they deal with him in the first half of the next, and then there's something else.

Inhuman, Galactus, and then this man this monster, and then into to black panther and soon one of the best doctor doom stories all happened in issues FF issues 45-60

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr Hootington posted:

Wasn't that Silk?

I know CapnAndy already pointed out that Silk got her powers from getting bitten at the same time as Peter, but you're probably thinking of how they had weird uncontrollable sexual urges around each other for a while because somethingsomethingspiderpheromones which.... thankfully got ignored eventually

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

TBF I find Infamous to be the better book.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Endless Mike posted:

TBF I find Infamous to be the better book.

Infamous like the game?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

joehonkie posted:

Infamous like the game?
Are you even following the discussion?

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Endless Mike posted:

Are you even following the discussion?

That's why I was confused. I'm always behind on my Marvel books and hadn't caught up to Infamous Iron Man being a book and being a separate one (I googled it).

EDIT: I knew there was an Infamous comic book.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

OhFunny posted:

The Crossing/Onslaught/Heroes Reborn :suicide:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

joehonkie posted:

That's why I was confused. I'm always behind on my Marvel books and hadn't caught up to Infamous Iron Man being a book and being a separate one (I googled it).

EDIT: I knew there was an Infamous comic book.

Infamous Iron Man is a comic about Tony Stark playing Infamous on his Playstation

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Look, the game is inFAMOUS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

purple death ray posted:

Infamous Iron Man is a comic about Tony Stark playing Infamous on his Playstation

I can see why that would be a huge seller. Although now I've looked it up, the real comic does sound pretty cool.

I swear someone mentioned earlier that one of Marvel's huge problems was not just the steam of big events but their constant split and merge of titles. I was aware of Ironheart because local comic book places have her poster everywhere, but I knew nothing of Infamous Iron Man.

Someone I know has read some Miles Morales TPBs and is really into the character but finding it hard to find a nice list of what he needs to read to keep following him specifically. Seems like the same problem.

• Locked thread