Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Have you heard of these wonderful items called glamour prisms?

But yeah I saw that officer sabre (Japanese Officers wore western style sabres with guards post-Meji era, not just Civil War duders) and I was like "yuck" myself.

My main issue is that so far I don't have many suitable glamour katanas. I have the Ironworks katana glamour on at the moment, with the Shire Katana as backup, waiting to do some more PotD to be able to get the Kinna Katana, but as far as "cool lookin' katana glamours" go those are my options so far, unless I want to blow multi-millions on the marketboard crafter pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Conot posted:

My main issue is that so far I don't have many suitable glamour katanas. I have the Ironworks katana glamour on at the moment, with the Shire Katana as backup, waiting to do some more PotD to be able to get the Kinna Katana, but as far as "cool lookin' katana glamours" go those are my options so far, unless I want to blow multi-millions on the marketboard crafter pieces.

Do you not have a poo poo-load of poetics?!
There's several great katanas that are super easy to get, dude. Go to Idyllshire.

Have you ever done pvp?!
Thats even more easy to get amazing looking katanas.

There's also the loving brilliant gold saucer katana, but that does cost 100k MGP.

I'm super jealous of all the amazing katanas that SAM get, as a NIN half my daggers are really wonky looking. (But I've got a few I love, like the artifact weapons)

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Conot posted:

Inferno Katana's probably the best 2 million gil I've ever spent.

If you wanna save money, the regular Inferno Blade drop isn't bad, and Ravana EX is cake on unsynched.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Some leveling recommendations for folks who skipped early access (at 68 atm) -

1) Save sidequests for later as much as possible, at least for when you're in queue for a dungeon/trial, after you at least get a mount speed increase in the zone, and ideally after flying. Not always feasible depending on the status of FATE trains, but Shatter is really good XP.

2) Aether currents are often behind sidequests, but they're often at the start of a long chain and as usual designated by a blue icon with a plus sign.

3) Stormblood mount speed increases are locked behind the MSQ, usually towards the tail end of a zone.

4) Augmented Shire gear starts getting replaced at 64. Big jumps in defense every level after. Reminder that the final boss of every leveling dungeon in HW and SB now drops one piece of gear not in your bags for your job. The number of total drops per dungeon is generous.

5) There's a 30 minute boss FATE in each zone I've seen (not sure about The Lochs). Clearing it on Gold should provide an achievement and an Orchestrion roll.

6) None of the single player duties (at least so far) require you to die right away. If it looks like you're a bit outmatched, there's probably a trick.

7) If you'd like dungeon/trial walkthroughs, Meoni has a few out on Youtube. He's accurate and informative with brevity (as an alternative to MrHappy).

isk fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 20, 2017

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

FillInTheBlank posted:

In your confirmation of order e-mail click this button:

Yeah it works now, it updated earlier today. Previously I only saw the early access code there. So I was just panicking ahead of time :yayclod:

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
I thought Susano was a cool fight. Then I fought the next primal and goddamn. That music.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Luceid posted:

hey buddy i love to ride the line as the most maligned healer class, please do not lump us all in with the shitbag honest healers please PLEASE

I'm looking into this game as a new MMO as my interest in WoW wanes, and I usually play healers. I've seen this "honest healer" thing pop up a few times, would you mind explaining what that means?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I'm looking into this game as a new MMO as my interest in WoW wanes, and I usually play healers. I've seen this "honest healer" thing pop up a few times, would you mind explaining what that means?

Healers who refuse to cast any damage spells.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Healers who refuse to DPS.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
My thoughts on 4.0 and the MSQ (there are major spoilers for the ending scenes, I put each one in its own spoiler tag)

The Ascians return, with the garlean emperor being indifferent about Zenos dying, although he is shocked about Elidibus taking off his mask.

I don't think we are done with Fordola yet. Odds are, they'll give her a redemption arc, and she'll end up replacing Lyse, is my guess.

Goetetsu still being alive is great, and Yotsuyu still being alive is interesting as well. Goetetsu will probably return to being by Hien's side, and I imagine if Yotsuyu has any major roles coming up, she'll either be the new big bad or take over for Tataru as the organizer for the scions, since she's not really welcome anywhere.

All in all, a good expansion, and I can't wait to see what happens in upcoming patches.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Play however you want. I find just healing gets a little boring since you'll be standing around doing nothing a lot, so I do my best to spam holy all the time. WHM is super fun right now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Healers who refuse to DPS.

...There are people who do that? I always get a giggle out of playing a healer and topping one of the dps on the meters.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Cythereal posted:

...There are people who do that? I always get a giggle out of playing a healer and topping one of the dps on the meters.

I think it usually stems from paranoia of WHAT IF I NEED THAT MANA but comes out in a much more hostile IM A HEALER NOT A DPS.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think it usually stems from paranoia of WHAT IF I NEED THAT MANA but comes out in a much more hostile IM A HEALER NOT A DPS.

Huh. Never seen that attitude in an MMO before, but okay. The healer classes in this game do look nicely varied, though I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the astrologer plays.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Got this downloaded last night. If my highest job is level 12 then there's no reason to buy Stormblood right? Also which FC is the coolest and has room for a guy that will have a lot of dumb questions?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Huh. Never seen that attitude in an MMO before, but okay. The healer classes in this game do look nicely varied, though I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the astrologer plays.

A healer that can pull random buffs out of a hat?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

screech on the beach posted:

Got this downloaded last night. If my highest job is level 12 then there's no reason to buy Stormblood right? Also which FC is the coolest and has room for a guy that will have a lot of dumb questions?

You won't have immediate access to any SB content at level 12, no. Heavensward gives you access to the Au Ra race if you care about that.

FC is going to depend on which server you're on!

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Cythereal posted:

serious answer? http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/jobguide/astrologian/ maybe, or just look up videos on youtube.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Conot posted:

You won't have immediate access to any SB content at level 12, no. Heavensward gives you access to the Au Ra race if you care about that.

FC is going to depend on which server you're on!

Cool, thanks. I hopped on this morning before work and was able to make a guy on Excalibur!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

staplegun posted:

serious answer? http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/jobguide/astrologian/ maybe, or just look up videos on youtube.

Oh, so the card system isn't a huge game-changer. Looking at that guide and others gave me the impression that the deck was critically important to playing one well and just as important as learning their actual spell rotations.

Alrighty then.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm waiting for the Steam Sale before I pull the trigger on this, but I'm definitely interested in trying this game out. I had my eye on it like a couple years ago, but didn't want to commit to the monthly fee. Now I don't care and I want to play a cool MMO :v:

Are all the classes/jobs pretty decent? I'm kind of waffling between going for Ninja or Summoner first, but I'm open to suggestions.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Summoner is a hell of a lot of fun to play. Haven't tried Ninja, and now that there's Samurai, I can't imagine I will!

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm waiting for the Steam Sale before I pull the trigger on this, but I'm definitely interested in trying this game out. I had my eye on it like a couple years ago, but didn't want to commit to the monthly fee. Now I don't care and I want to play a cool MMO :v:

Are all the classes/jobs pretty decent? I'm kind of waffling between going for Ninja or Summoner first, but I'm open to suggestions.

Summoner got hit real hard by the nerf hammer. Still, no class will feel underpowered so give them both a shot and see which you like more.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Oh, so the card system isn't a huge game-changer. Looking at that guide and others gave me the impression that the deck was critically important to playing one well and just as important as learning their actual spell rotations.

Alrighty then.

Managing your cards is actually part of playing AST well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

orcane posted:

Managing your cards is actually part of playing AST well.

Eh. I'll see if I do decide to try the game, thanks for the info. I usually play healers in MMOs so scholar, white mage, and astrologer are the classes I've been looking at most.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
You can't unlock astrologian until Heavensward so you'll have plenty of time to get comfortable on white mage or scholar before you have to worry.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

i love you too

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Trial 1 is super cool but I really don't understand these lvl 70 turbonerds that rage quit after two wipes on day -1

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Intoluene posted:

Summoner got hit real hard by the nerf hammer. Still, no class will feel underpowered so give them both a shot and see which you like more.

Thanks for the responses! I think I will probably start by going after Summoner, despite the nerfs. It kinda reminds me of WoW's warlock, which I had a lot of fun with back in the day.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Cythereal posted:

Alrighty then.

If you hit people with cards you can sometimes make things go a very small percentage faster.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Enjoying SB so far, missed 2 days due to being out of town, but that gave them enough time to unfuck the instance servers which is nice. My only complaint is the same complaint I have in any RPG: Sidequests always feel weird when you're putting off story missions for them. I don't know what a good way to get around it is, but it always feels weird to go fetch some shark meat for some guy when the story feels like timing matters. The story stuff is pretty well done (they've gotten progressively better at it over time) and with that comes a sense of urgency that sort of gets thrown out the window as you run around doing side quests. I'm still doing all the ones I can find since they're decent XP and can usually be done really quickly, but it still feels weird sometimes.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'll probably catch a probie for posting small bart(z) but it's worth it

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Shy posted:

Yeah it works now, it updated earlier today. Previously I only saw the early access code there. So I was just panicking ahead of time :yayclod:

Yeah, if you ordered from the Square-Enix store, the keys are available now if you log in. They haven't sent a new email out stating this, but you can log in and get yours now.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
The Paladin oath gauge seems kinda tacked on, but after doing the first new dungeon, I think I get the point of it. Bosses don't really attack enough to generate the blocks needed to get your Sheltron and Interventions up quickly in Shield Oath, so it encourages you to switch to Sword to at least get the auto-attack points. I don't know if later bosses become much more painful in DPS stance, but I found I was able to survive in my admittedly-not-fully-augmented-shire rear end and use my cooldowns a bit more, besides. I used to be nervous to switch out of Shield if I didn't know the dungeon, but now it doesn't feel so bad.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RDM: Owns
I was surprised how easy it was to pick up for a class at 50. It doesn't feel overly elaborate or bloated with stupid skills and clumsy rotations. Though I do find myself wanting a defensive, vercure does make up for it. I've had a few opportunities to go into heal mode and save my group from a wipe.

Susano: Owns
My pug got it in one, which is apparently is somewhat lucky. Hype rear end fight, got to raise someone with verraise.

Dungeon 4 / level 67: Owns
Sick music, good fights and RIP AND TEAR :black101:

Expansion Status So far: Owns

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Intoluene posted:

Did summoner get hit all that hard? It seemed like there was a lot to make up for the loss of aoe which seemed to effect a lot of classes.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Wait when did they open another new European server? Called Louisoix, Omega is cooler.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Shisui is a fun dungeon but it feels strange that they'd put back-to-back dungeons with a boss that charms you.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

RDM: Owns
I was surprised how easy it was to pick up for a class at 50. It doesn't feel overly elaborate or bloated with stupid skills and clumsy rotations. Though I do find myself wanting a defensive, vercure does make up for it. I've had a few opportunities to go into heal mode and save my group from a wipe.

Susano: Owns
My pug got it in one, which is apparently is somewhat lucky. Hype rear end fight, got to raise someone with verraise.

Dungeon 4 / level 67: Owns
Sick music, good fights and RIP AND TEAR :black101:

Expansion Status So far: Owns

I was sad we won't get to dunk on that guy the rest of the expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Glagha posted:

Did summoner get hit all that hard? It seemed like there was a lot to make up for the loss of aoe which seemed to effect a lot of classes.

As a former smn main, the loss of blizzard 2 is probably the thing I'm most sad about.

That, and smn used to have all of their major attacks ready for each pull of a dungeon, when now, if I understand summon bahamut right, you can only do your big stuff every other pull. The odd pulls will feel kinda flaccid compared to 3.0 bard where there was a move for every situation that did good damage. Now you have half the moves and they do mediocre damage when bahamut isn't there. It just feels bad.

I get that a big reason for the changes is their attempt to separate sch and smn damage levels a lot to equalize them with their respective roles. I just think we're gonna have to wait til 5.0 to add more depth to the twin jobs. In the meantime, rdm and bard are fantastic!