Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nuru posted:

How does this STR tanking thing work? I thought Slaying was changed to class specific now?

Only new accs are role restricted, so you can still equip 270 slaying accs. Generally speaking, mobs in dungeons and trials past 60 will hit hard enough that having some fending accs isn't a bad idea, but you'll definitely want to keep a full set of slaying for solo stuff unless you hate yourself.

It's a really bad change that forces tanks to do lovely damage even outside of group content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I plan on tanking through SB though I don't plan on doing any Savage raiding. Do I need to care about STR tanking or can I be ok mainling the VIT tank gear?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Happy Blue Cow posted:

I don't understand DRK anymore. Apart from (maybe) the opening Power Slash combo for a solid aggro lead, are DRK GCD's allocated to literally just doing 1-2-3 Souleater combo forever? Am I just misunderstanding? :psyduck: (haven't played it post-60)

That seems to be my experience, although I'm only at 62 and I'm hopeful that it'll feel somewhat different come 70. I mean, it was pretty much 1-2-3 Souleater before Stormborn except for when you rotated in Delerium for the debuff and Scourge (RIP), with the variation coming from toggling your OGCDs for pew-pew-pews and situational defense, so it's not a *huge* change... but I have to admit the loss of Delerium (in its former shape) and Scourge does make it feel like you're weaving in fewer decisions in your baseline combos. It's definitely not as fun as it was in HW for me, but I'm hopeful 8 more levels will get the class back on track.

Maybe.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm glad I'm hitting 70 today, because it really feels like the spoiler wall's going to be crumbling down pretty soon now that Raubahn's Wall has fallen.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Zenos is a fun guy. I enjoy him taking my pride down a couple knocks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SettingSun posted:

I plan on tanking through SB though I don't plan on doing any Savage raiding. Do I need to care about STR tanking or can I be ok mainling the VIT tank gear?

Keep a full set of slaying accs for solo stuff, and a full set of fending accs for dungeons.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Alakaiser posted:

This is too many words. Go play machinist. You'll be awful at it and you'll have a lot of fun.

hey thanks. I'm just getting into heavensward and wanted to mess around with machinist. Much of this went over my head but they do seem cool

KoB
May 1, 2009

SettingSun posted:

You'll have no problem just using VIT gear and not worrying about it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

how much more engaging does the drg rotation get at 70? because at 61 right now it's actually pretty boring with the SB changes.

I've been meaning to put my drg thoughts down now that I'm 70 and have a few level 70 pieces of content under my belt.

First off, SB drg is HW drg but slightly shuffled around, and with a neutered Geirskogul. If you're expecting anything else, you're going to be disappointed. You lost a bunch of oGCDs with the combat revamp, but regain them back as you level--in particular, Mirage Dive has a de facto cooldown as short as Leg Sweep's used to be.

The basic rotation is just as set in stone as it was in HW (nothing nearly as slick as the ARR rotation). You don't have randomized positionals anymore, but chaining Wheeling Thrust and Fang & Claw together (gained at level 64) goes a long way towards preserving that "oh god I'm on the wrong part of the boss I need to move NOW" feeling that the randomized positionals gave. I'd call the GCD portion of drg mostly a wash in terms of interest (once you hit 64), but with a higher skill floor.

AoE is much more satisfying than before. The BotD changes mean you can fire off Geirskogul without hating yourself, it takes ages for you to run out of TP, and while a two hit combo isn't exactly complicated, it's at least more engaging than Doom Spike forever.

Mirage Dive is a cool move. It's the number one reason why, despite the raw number of oGCDs going down, you actually have one up about as often as before.

Life of the Dragon is a big lukewarm bowl of nothing. Just giving your Nastrond isn't enough. There absolutely needs to be some other aspect to this for it to feel like a real thing--even a 5% damage buff would help a lot with the excitement factor.

Dragon Sight is goddamn amazing. I will be surprised if there are any moves added in the expansion I enjoy more. It adds a whole new layer of gameplay in a really cool way. If I were designing drg, I would have made this the centerpiece mechanic of the expansion, not LotD.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Alakaiser posted:

People keep asking about machinist to silence so here's an unnecessarily long effort post. I mained machinist throughout heavensward, including raiding during Creator. Didn't clear a12, but that was due to starting a new job that made me unable to keep raiding on my static's times. I am actually bad at this game just like everyone else.

:words:

Thanks for this post!

I was a MCH main in HW as well but I stopped playing a year ago. Just resubbed this morning; I haven't even broken past 60 yet. MCH is definitely my favorite job in the game even with the new stuff.

Hopefully they address the UI issues for MCH.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I just finished the Doma arc and I thought it was pretty sweet and awesome. It was slightly ruined by a tank who was a bit hasty in pulling and so I didn't get to actually fight CHAOS SPACE MARINE. Still a cool and good arc tho.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

At least from where I'm at, I like Zenos more then the Doma leader villain. They're both kind of cliche villain tropes, but I like Zeno's cliche a lot more.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Keep a full set of slaying accs for solo stuff, and a full set of fending accs for dungeons.

orrrrrrrrr use your chocobro, mines 15 and he works well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm keeping my 270 for anything level 66 and below so far. We'll see if I need any fending for Doma Castle later today, but I have a feeling I'll be just fine.

Any 60 or below content should absolutely be done with full strength right side. Its a 390 AP difference at level 60 (315 if you have melded str 5 in all your fending stuff)

That's a 27% increase in attack power at level 60. If you're synced and materia isn't included its a 33% increase. It is non-trivial.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

orrrrrrrrr use your chocobro, mines 15 and he works well.

Why not both?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm thinking about hopping back into this game when I get paid.

I never finished the main story and I'm probably thinking about just starting a new character, is there any reason to pick up the expansions yet or do they offer nothing to people who haven't the main quest?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also a chocobro can't help inside a solo duty, but slaying accessories can.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Buy the expansion when you hit 50 so you can continue to gain experience

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Veotax posted:

I'm thinking about hopping back into this game when I get paid.

I never finished the main story and I'm probably thinking about just starting a new character, is there any reason to pick up the expansions yet or do they offer nothing to people who haven't the main quest?

They offer very little. Heavensward will let you roll an Au Ra (race) and Stormblood will let you be Red Mage or Samurai once you hit 50 & complete the 2.0 (or 2.55?) MSQ.

I've seen people say Stormblood includes Heavensward, purchase-wise?

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
One of my retainers is a summoner and I have no desire to level smn/sch in SB. :rip:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

They offer very little. Heavensward will let you roll an Au Ra (race) and Stormblood will let you be Red Mage or Samurai once you hit 50 & complete the 2.0 (or 2.55?) MSQ.

I've seen people say Stormblood includes Heavensward, purchase-wise?

Stormblood includes Heavensward I believe. Red Mage and Samurai require finishing the 2.0 plot, but Dark Knight, Astrologian, and Machinist require finishing the 2.55 plot (because you unlock them in Ishgard).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm keeping my 270 for anything level 66 and below so far. We'll see if I need any fending for Doma Castle later today, but I have a feeling I'll be just fine.

Any 60 or below content should absolutely be done with full strength right side. Its a 390 AP difference at level 60 (315 if you have melded str 5 in all your fending stuff)

That's a 27% increase in attack power at level 60. If you're synced and materia isn't included its a 33% increase. It is non-trivial.

It really is a baffling change. Wasn't everybody pretty happy with the "vit is now the damage stat" system? Should've just left it alone

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Thanks guys. Probably hold off for now then.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ainsley McTree posted:

It really is a baffling change. Wasn't everybody pretty happy with the "vit is now the damage stat" system? Should've just left it alone

It's probably because of the changes to weakness

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ainsley McTree posted:

If they left vit as a mainstat they couldn't have changed weakness in the way they did.

Also it's a deliberate tank nerf because eventually we'll all have to use vit gear for stormblood stuff.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't care if tanks get nerfed as long as we get to do more cool poo poo like the Susano fight.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Mr. Nice! posted:

If they left vit as a mainstat they couldn't have changed weakness in the way they did.

Also it's a deliberate tank nerf because eventually we'll all have to use vit gear for stormblood stuff.

It looks like it's part of an overall push to lower damage parties do across the board by targeting tank damage (while bringing pld up to par), healer aoe and free GCDs in which to aoe by increasing incoming damage, and reducing DPS aoe enough that pulling giant packs won't work because dps simply can't kill it before your tank/healer are out of juice. We already know they didn't like the DPS meta and how we were pulling entire dungeons all at once, so this seems to be their answer.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Sinteres posted:

People got mad at me in fc chat for saying this, but I started doing the ninja quests since I'm less than half a level to 70, and I either forgot how terrible reading Jacke's dialogue was or they deliberately made it worse. If leaving the city states gets us the hell away from bad dialects, I hope we never go back to them again.

Yeah, no, I'm with you. I remember liking Jacke, but his dialogue was pissing me off. I wanted to ask if he was doing that poo poo on purpose. Dimber damber my rear end, mate.

On the flip side, I think the secret to making me have so much fun with my Scion pals was just to leave all the male ones at home.

Trying to be super mindful of spoilers since I'm only ~65 and trying desperately to stay protected.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Summoner is a hell of a lot of fun to play. Haven't tried Ninja, and now that there's Samurai, I can't imagine I will!

Ninja is way more fun than Samurai :colbert: :ninja:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've heard a lot of people complaining about how their class was ruined in Stormblood--are there any classes that people are (mostly, this is still the internet) agreeing got better?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

cheetah7071 posted:

Stormblood includes Heavensward I believe. Red Mage and Samurai require finishing the 2.0 plot, but Dark Knight, Astrologian, and Machinist require finishing the 2.55 plot (because you unlock them in Ishgard).

No they started selling a complete edition. But stormblood standalone does not have HW

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
Trying to decide which job to use a Tales of Adventure on: PLD, DRK, DRG, NIN, MCH, or BLM.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cheetah7071 posted:

I've heard a lot of people complaining about how their class was ruined in Stormblood--are there any classes that people are (mostly, this is still the internet) agreeing got better?

NIN barely got changed, but the changes were all 100% goodness.

Paladin is supposed to be more fun now than it was before.

Bard seems like its in a good place?

Can't speak to the others.

Note Block posted:

Trying to decide which job to use a Tales of Adventure on: PLD, DRK, DRG, NIN, MCH, or BLM.

Tough call. DRK and MCH start at 30, but leveling from 30 to 60/70 is still a pretty long grind.

All those classes are good. :shrug: Have you played them all in POTD to see how they actually feel to play yourself at higher level? Testing the classes at level 5 with no abilities doesn't really tell you anything.

Pick whichever you think has the coolest armor and weapons or whichever is the most fun to play. Use POTD to test out playing the classes at higher level without having to level up all the way.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
pld's damage was way more than 'brought up to par'. the changes are over the top and if square enix gave a poo poo at all about actual game balance the changes would be tweaked by 4.1, but they don't so pld will be stupid until 5.0.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

cheetah7071 posted:

I find the cleric stance change makes playing any of the healers now feel incredibly slick.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

cheetah7071 posted:

Bard, paladin

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

cheetah7071 posted:

Paladin got significantly better and I liked PLD before.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Tough call. DRK and MCH start at 30, but leveling from 30 to 60/70 is still a pretty long grind.

All those classes are good. :shrug: Have you played them all in POTD to see how they actually feel to play yourself at higher level? Testing the classes at level 5 with no abilities doesn't really tell you anything.

Pick whichever you think has the coolest armor and weapons or whichever is the most fun to play. Use POTD to test out playing the classes at higher level without having to level up all the way.

All but THM/BLM are at least level 35, so I've got a feel for how almost all of the jobs played in HW. Good call on trying them out in POTD before making a choice, thanks!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

cheetah7071 posted:

I haven't played it yet since I'm main swapping to samurai but my initial take of the nin stuff is that it is at worst net-neutral. We didn't lose anything of particular value, at least nothing that everyone else didn't also lose (rip b4b and ir). The main rotation got a litle more boring but Ten Chi Jin probably makes up for it on it's own. Also no more stupid poison bullshit is a huge boon. That weird level range where viper has a higher damage increase than wap is no more, along with forgetting to reapply it because you syn'c down into something. Very nice QoL change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Ohtsam posted:

No they started selling a complete edition. But stormblood standalone does not have HW

The Stormblood preorder absolutely included Heavensward, I really doubt they pulled it out at the release date.